PDA

View Full Version : Good places to camp with trail access in walking distance?

JoshAuerbach
11-28-2012, 13:30
Six of us go on a yearly camping adventure to the ocean but this year we decided we want mountains and lakes rather than dunes and ocean. So... looking for a place to camp for a week that has access to trails for day hikes. Preferably some decent mountains/views, maybe some rivers, lakes, or waterfalls, those are a plus. The main thing would be the camping area itself.. nice scenery/decently private camp sites. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be along the AT necessarily but somewhere within like a 10 hour drive of western Pennsylvania.

FarmerChef
11-28-2012, 13:38
Since you mentioned day hike(s) (plural) I would suggest staying in one of the campgrounds in Shenandoah National Park. They have many trails beyond just the AT including some of the best vistas that aren't even on the AT (like Old Rag). I can't say I've stayed at the campground so I can't comment on the "decently private" part of it. There are also a couple of campgrounds/parks in Maryland and southern PA on the AT that would provide driving access to other AT hikes. Given your desired region, I would recommend a trip over to the PATC website to explore the many trails in the greater Washington, D.C. area which is smack in the middle of your 10 hour driving range, at least southbound.

Feral Bill
11-28-2012, 14:02
Car campgrounds with decent privacy are rare. You might consider Harriman State Park (NY) for all your other criteria. Beaver Pond Campground is quite central.

Cookerhiker
11-28-2012, 14:05
While I've spent very little time there, I'd look into the Adirondacks. You've got mountains, lakes, (real lakes, not man-made impoundments), and networks of trails.