PDA

View Full Version : Saloman Quest 4D GTX Boots

wiz
11-28-2012, 13:41
Have any of you used/owned these boots. Im considering buying them for a planned Thru Hike this spring but no stores carry this particular model and it seems like Im jumping through hoops for a store to special order them. Am I wasting my time or are these a pair of boots I should jump at. Or do you have a better suggestion? I have wide-ish feet that get really heat and moisture sensitive. I seem to be fighting athletes foot to border line trench foot regularly.

Feral Bill
11-28-2012, 13:56
Goretex boots tend to be hot and sweaty. and to get (and stay) wet anyway. Probably not the shoe of your dreams.

wiz
11-28-2012, 15:11
That has been a concern of mine. Ive heard mix reviews. Some say the breathability of the boot is outstanding, other complained that thier feet sweat. Are trail runners my only option if I really want to keep my feet dry?

Firefighter503
11-28-2012, 16:00
I wore a pair of these exact boots on my 2011 Thru attempt (and for a couple of hundred miles prior/after). I have wide feet as well (size 12 EE), and these were roomy enough for me with Smartwool hikers on. I wore them with green Superfeet. In 650 miles of trail, I only ever had one blister, which I attribute to a 26.2 mile day that I may as well have started in a swimming pool (boots were sloshing around from step one that day). No blisters on any other hike either. My feet tend to sweat a lot, but I never had a problem with the boots feeling wet unless it rained a lot, and the next morning they were almost always dry. I will say that my feet were sore at the end of the day, but they were never sore the next morning. You can take from that what you will. If you absolutely feel the need for an above ankle boot that has GTX in it, I'd say give them a shot.

Having said all that, I switched to Cascadia 7's this year, and will never go back to a boot (my Soloman's are still in good shape, but are retired to off trail uses around the yard, etc.).

wiz
11-28-2012, 17:27
Now thats the kind of info I am looking for. Why the switchif these boots were so nice?

TT2
11-28-2012, 23:19
I bought Salomon GTX boots last year at this time. They didn't last 500 miles. Where they flexed near my toes, the top rubbed a hole. The soles are worn smooth already. And I had to replace their lace system within a month since the lock system slipped. They seemed light and comfortable, but not too tough. Have 200 miles on Merrill Moabs now, and they are fine so far.

Firefighter503
11-29-2012, 13:59
Now thats the kind of info I am looking for. Why the switchif these boots were so nice?

I just wanted something lighter on my feet. I always defaulted to boots because that is "what backpackers wear." I also carried 35+ lbs worth of extra crap that I didn't need in my backpack. I have since dropped my base weight to between 8-10 lbs depending on the season, and started questioning the need for heavy duty boots when they weren't necessarily warranted. I guess you could say my needs changed.

They say a pound on your feet is like five pounds on your back. I believe it. The difference between the boots and my trail runners is more than a half pound per foot, and I can feel it in my knees.

wiz
11-29-2012, 17:56
Maybe I need to reevaluate my pack load. I was planing on 30-35lbs which from what I've read, suggest I need boots. If I can shave it down to 20lbs then I might feel more comfortable with trail runners. I feel like my inexperiance is showing.

Firefighter503
11-29-2012, 22:14
Wearing boots because your pack is heavier than 'x' has some logic to it. With a heavier load on your back, an argument could be made that you have a better chance of missing a step and twisting an ankle, etc. My brother (studlintsean on here) is usually right around 30+/- lbs on trips, and he recently switched to the Cascadia 7's as well. Maybe he will chime in. As far as inexperience showing, who cares? We are all here to learn, and then take what we learn out onto the trail.

As far as shaving your gear down some, that is up to you to decide on. It can definitely be done. As an example, here are two gear lists. The first is what my list looked like at the start of a thru attempt, and the second is my current list for the same objective. I changed a lot of gear out, and left even more at home (having realized that I did not need the extra stuff).

Then: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10477
Now: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6164

trapper
12-01-2012, 07:40
I bought Salomon GTX boots last year at this time. They didn't last 500 miles. Where they flexed near my toes, the top rubbed a hole. The soles are worn smooth already. And I had to replace their lace system within a month since the lock system slipped. They seemed light and comfortable, but not too tough. Have 200 miles on Merrill Moabs now, and they are fine so far.if your not happy with the Solomon they will take care of your problem. great customers service

trapper
12-01-2012, 07:48
in my opinion i think if you are in good not overweight shape you can wear trail trail runners at 30-35# if you are 20-30# overweight prob not a good idea. i say this from first had experience...we spend all this money to lighten our packs when we can cut weight from our bodies(some of us that needed it) cheaply.. did the lt this summer at 247# down to 209# now..world of difference in endurance

Del Q
12-01-2012, 09:37
Good thread, I weight 230 and pack all-in is about 30-32 lbs. A LOT of weight on every step! Don't want any extra on my feet.

Throw in plenty of orthopedic issues, knee surgery a few years ago.............everyone on the AT is for the most part wearing low top shoes. Ski boots provide ankle support, that would be a 1st huh...........through hike the AT in ski boots??

Even with my weight, age and health items I prefer low top hiking shoes..........one thread that I read is that we live our lives in low top shoes, why would we go with high tops backpacking?

Lighter is better, there are plenty of low tops with good support..........side / lateral support for me is as important as anything else. When I train I will walk on the sides of hills both ways so as to strengthen my ankles, this has helped a lot. A friend told me that a great ankle stretch is A-Z, spell the alphabet A-Z with your feet, both feet............easy to do while sitting in your chair/watching TV...........these two things have helped.

My last hike I swtiched to Salomon low tops, excellent, shoes, great support, light.

Hoofit
12-01-2012, 15:46
well, I like Keens and I have wide feet and have found that the Keen shoes breathe a whole lot better than the low to mid ankle boots.
ha
Having said that, you won't get much more than about five hundred miles out of a pair and then a new pair is pretty much broken in right off the shelf...

Hoofit
12-01-2012, 19:25
Good thread, I weight 230 and pack all-in is about 30-32 lbs. A LOT of weight on every step! Don't want any extra on my feet.

Throw in plenty of orthopedic issues, knee surgery a few years ago.............everyone on the AT is for the most part wearing low top shoes. Ski boots provide ankle support, that would be a 1st huh...........through hike the AT in ski boots??

Even with my weight, age and health items I prefer low top hiking shoes..........one thread that I read is that we live our lives in low top shoes, why would we go with high tops backpacking?

Lighter is better, there are plenty of low tops with good support..........side / lateral support for me is as important as anything else. When I train I will walk on the sides of hills both ways so as to strengthen my ankles, this has helped a lot. A friend told me that a great ankle stretch is A-Z, spell the alphabet A-Z with your feet, both feet............easy to do while sitting in your chair/watching TV...........these two things have helped.

My last hike I swtiched to Salomon low tops, excellent, shoes, great support, light.

I was hiking the trail back in 2010 and here was this older German guy that's here was llaid up for some time due to shin splints - well this girl told me that if you do the 'a to z' with your toes or rather the whole of your foot, before and after your day's hike,my then the chance of shin splints is also greatly diminished...just thought that I' d throw that out there...

wiz
12-01-2012, 19:40
in my opinion i think if you are in good not overweight shape you can wear trail trail runners at 30-35# if you are 20-30# overweight prob not a good idea. i say this from first had experience...we spend all this money to lighten our packs when we can cut weight from our bodies(some of us that needed it) cheaply.. did the lt this summer at 247# down to 209# now..world of difference in endurance

The more i read, the more I am leaning to trail runners. I am 240, 6'2. Not terrible shape but im not a marathon runner. I agree 100% controling the shape that your in is the best thing for me right now. Hopefully i can get my weight down to 220 by March 25th.

trapper
12-01-2012, 20:55
The more i read, the more I am leaning to trail runners. I am 240, 6'2. Not terrible shape but im not a marathon runner. I agree 100% controling the shape that your in is the best thing for me right now. Hopefully i can get my weight down to 220 by March 25th.positive thinking...... you can do it man were all pulling for ya...keep us updated

globetruck
12-02-2012, 15:37
I like my soloman quest 4d GTX boots. They're a great mid-duty goretex boot.

Things I like: roomy toe box, and they lock my narrow heels in place. Zero blisters in these boots, in about 300 miles of mostly 2-3 day trips. But they were also flawless over a week on Kilimanjaro.

Grip and traction have been fine. Breath ability is about the same as any other goretex boot. Durability has been average - some wear and tear, including the rubber toe cap peeling back about 1/16 inch in a spot. No leaks or functional defects.

I'm 6'1" 190 lbs, size 11 (US) foot. Narrow heels and wider/boxier toes. Low volume foot with normal arches. Typically carry about 25 lbs except when I'm being a Sherpa dad and carrying up to 50 lbs.

Feral Bill
12-02-2012, 15:46
That has been a concern of mine. I've heard mix reviews. Some say the breathability of the boot is outstanding, other complained that thier feet sweat. Are trail runners my only option if I really want to keep my feet dry?
You have no options. Your feet will be wet at times, even hiking in dry climates. Aim for 1. Fit 2. Support (under the foot) 3. Light weight