PDA

View Full Version : You've been given a gift for Christmas...what is it?

Wendigo
11-28-2012, 13:53
Your family and friends know you're an avid lover of the Appalachian Trail, hiking and backpacking. So they've given you a gift for Christmas - one they know​ you will love. What is it?

Old Hiker
11-28-2012, 13:56
HA !!!!! Like THEY know or care what I want. I'm giving MYSELF a new LightHeart gear SoLong 6 in the colors I want !!!! 2 doors, awning, oh, yeah, baby!!!

Mags
11-28-2012, 14:07
A giftcard to a local outfitter. Because the outdoors person in question can buy what they really want rather than receive what a person thinks they want. :D

kayak karl
11-28-2012, 14:27
the last time somebody got me a backpacking gift it was a plastic egg carrier, 6 plastic tent stakes and a plastic hammer to pound them in, and 50' of yellow 1/4 inch rope.

Gray Blazer
11-28-2012, 14:34
Peace on Earth

...Hhhmmm ... Peace begins at home ...

PEACE ON WHITEBLAZE

FarmerChef
11-28-2012, 15:00
We've gone to publishing Christmas lists in our family. Much easier than having someone "guess" which 10lb sleeping bag would be just "perfect" for your hike. :p

Last year, Santa (in the form of my sister), got me lightweight Smartwool top and bottom plus a midweight Smartwool top. Mmmm toasty.

Namaste
11-28-2012, 15:20
I received one of those yellow plastic egg containers too and thought the person just didn't have a clue but appreciated the thought. I gave it to someone who car camps. I'm with Mags, a gift certificate to an EMS, REI whatever is best.

Rasty
11-28-2012, 15:30
I accidentally leave a note of what I'm looking for with the model number and where to get it! If they won't see the note then I accidentally email it to them. Otherwise I would get what Karl got.

quilteresq
11-28-2012, 15:34
A nice, but small camera. . . .

Odd Man Out
11-28-2012, 15:42
Since you asked.

http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation.html
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=76
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=55
http://www.rei.com/product/829852/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad-womens

Or you can just send cash. Thanks

Train Wreck
11-28-2012, 19:11
the last time somebody got me a backpacking gift it was a plastic egg carrier, 6 plastic tent stakes and a plastic hammer to pound them in, and 50' of yellow 1/4 inch rope.

Karl,
How come I missed seeing you at the family reunion? I got the same stuff so We must be related:D

moytoy
11-28-2012, 19:27
They all know now not to get me gear. So they get me books that I've already read.

Darwin13
11-28-2012, 19:35
For christmas two years ago i received AND WAS GRATEFUL FOR (DONT GET ME WRONG) a synthetic EMS Boreal 20 degree bag that was OVER 3 lb. by itself and packed down to about the size of an asteroid. and 'hiking' shaving cream. now i do all my shopping and say thanks when its handed to me!

Tuckahoe
11-28-2012, 19:48
My niece, who'll be 10 in February, knows I like backpacking. Over the last couple years with her money that she has earned from her grades she has gone to Walmart and bought me things that she just knows I need. I have received camping matches, and a nice safety orange match safe. A combination safety whistle, magnifying glass, compass, and thermometer. Even Mountain House meals. I've treasured each and everyone and happily added them to my kit.

Some have forgotten the meaning of receiving a gift.

colorado_rob
11-28-2012, 19:50
Easy: REI gift cards. Keep 'em coming my dear family!!

Darwin13
11-28-2012, 20:00
but i'd take a Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Tarp with doors, a new ultralight pack like one from gossamer gear, six moon designs, or ULA, anddd money to go anywhere on earth to walk.

whatnot
11-28-2012, 20:29
My son came home on leave from the Marine Corps and gifted me one of those plastic MRE spoons. I think it was his way of reminding me that no matter how wet or cold my hikes are, he has had it worse.

oldbear
11-28-2012, 20:35
A citizens eco drive divers watch would be great

Train Wreck
11-28-2012, 22:16
My niece, who'll be 10 in February, knows I like backpacking. Over the last couple years with her money that she has earned from her grades she has gone to Walmart and bought me things that she just knows I need. I have received camping matches, and a nice safety orange match safe. A combination safety whistle, magnifying glass, compass, and thermometer. Even Mountain House meals. I've treasured each and everyone and happily added them to my kit.

Some have forgotten the meaning of receiving a gift.

Aw, that's really sweet :). Sounds like a good kid, take her on a day hike somewhere and use some of the stuff she gives you.
BTW, I don't think people have forgotten the meaning, just having a little fun with the topic.

Dogwood
11-29-2012, 00:26
A drug sniffing chocolate lab or Australian Border Collie puppy that I'll train to hike on the AT with and confiscate all the illegal drugs! I'll become a billionaire! Ok, maybe just a millionaire. Only kidding. Just say no!

Rasty
11-29-2012, 00:28
A drug sniffing chocolate lab or Australian Border Collie puppy that I'll train to hike on the AT with and confiscate all the illegal drugs! I'll become a billionaire! Ok, maybe just a millionaire. Only kidding. Just say no!

Don't forget your tax stamps! North Carolina won't turn you in if you pay your taxes!

Train Wreck
11-29-2012, 00:31
I accidentally leave a note of what I'm looking for with the model number and where to get it! If they won't see the note then I accidentally email it to them. Otherwise I would get what Karl got.

You like notes, huh? Then why do you keep ignoring all the notes the Health Dept. keeps leaving around the cafe?

Rasty
11-29-2012, 00:36
You like notes, huh? Then why do you keep ignoring all the notes the Health Dept. keeps leaving around the cafe?

Hijacking threads again? :banana

Train Wreck
11-29-2012, 00:38
Hijacking threads again? :banana

oops...busted!

Feral Bill
11-29-2012, 01:28
An attractive strip map would be nice.

coach lou
11-29-2012, 08:03
My day pack full of $100.00 bills.

Don H
11-29-2012, 08:59
Mont Bell U.L. Super Stretch #1 down bag.

Old Hiker
11-29-2012, 15:50
My day pack full of $100.00 bills.

Go ultra-light - ask for $1000 bills instead.

Double Wide
11-29-2012, 19:29
Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bag. Ponderosa model I think?

A blue Osprey Atmos 65

A truckload of teriyaki turkey jerky

Feral Bill
11-29-2012, 23:43
Go ultra-light - ask for $1000 bills instead. Sadly, no longer in circulation.

theinfamousj
11-30-2012, 01:37
A carbon felt windscreen and a bunch of condiment packets. Perhaps a body double so I can attend all of my dragon boat races and still have time to backpack.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

msupple
11-30-2012, 09:24
Well...this year my plan is to buy a set of hiking poles and then have my wife reimburse me. :) It makes it easy on her and I get exactly what I want. I already have an ample supply of ugly ties and crappy underwear.

Cat in the Hat

coach lou
11-30-2012, 09:30
Go ultra-light - ask for $1000 bills instead.

The daypack will still weigh the same, full of 1000s....but....it will be easier for me to carry, 'cause I can hire that sherpa to carry it!

Don H
11-30-2012, 09:31
Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bag. Ponderosa model I think?

A blue Osprey Atmos 65

A truckload of teriyaki turkey jerky

No Teriyaki Turkey jerky, it too expensive! The other items are on the sled,
SANTA

Veetack
12-03-2012, 05:43
So knowing how my family works, and the fact that my birthday and Christmas are only a month apart, I sent a mass email with a list of everything I wanted. Nothing too complex or expensive (excluding the GoPro camera which I didn't get or expect), but things that I knew my family would have no idea what exactly to get. I don't usually send out a list, I really don't ever ask for anything, but Nov 23 was my 30th, and darnit I felt entitled. Of the things I asked for I have currently received:

GoLite Adrenaline 1+ sleeping bag
Thermarest NeoAir xlite
Patagonia lightweight capilene bottoms

While that's not everytrhing that was on my list, there's still Christmas to go :)

Glad my family listens.

On another note, just gotta say, I haven't been on here in months and it's really nice to be back. Just reading some of the posts made me feel great. Oh how I've missed WB.

Deacon
12-03-2012, 07:11
Last Christmas, my son-in-law to be, who knows nothing of the hiking world, bought me a small stainless steel folding shovel. It came with a canvas carrying case that slides on your belt. Weighed about 6 ounces. He thought it was perfect for digging cat holes.

fins1838
12-03-2012, 08:51
A Red Rider BB gun.

fins1838
12-03-2012, 08:51
No I wont shoot my eye out.

Old Hiker
12-03-2012, 16:40
This one? An official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 shot range model air rifle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCr8QSGYss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCr8QSGYss)

Just have to ask the right person.

Studlintsean
12-03-2012, 17:40
My birthday is Nov 24 so I also roll bday and Christmas together. I told my girlfriend I didn't really want anything but she insisted......

......she came home from Damascus ( near hometown) with a new ULA circuit. I'm also planning on buying a WM bag this winter if funds permit.

coach lou
12-03-2012, 18:01
Last Christmas, my son-in-law to be, who knows nothing of the hiking world, bought me a small stainless steel folding shovel. It came with a canvas carrying case that slides on your belt. Weighed about 6 ounces. He thought it was perfect for digging cat holes.

My daughter-in-law bought me one of those fancy mini 'entrenching tools'............I keep it in my car..'just in case':)

paistes5
12-04-2012, 00:47
Amazon wish lists work good with my family. We can all see each others and receive a gift that is something we pick for ourselves. I love it, I don't have to leave the house to go shopping for them.

atmilkman
12-04-2012, 00:57
My ex got me the cheapo version of this (weighed a ton) at Christmas while we were going through the divorce. Think she was trying to tell me something?

1stgenfarmboy
12-04-2012, 18:51
I would like 5 months off work "paid" so i can...............well you know.....what we all like to do.

Train Wreck
12-04-2012, 19:17
Sawyer in line water filter!

jeffmeh
12-04-2012, 19:26
Well...this year my plan is to buy a set of hiking poles and then have my wife reimburse me. :) It makes it easy on her and I get exactly what I want. I already have an ample supply of ugly ties and crappy underwear.

Cat in the Hat

You should ask for some Immodium to prevent that last part. :)

JAK
12-04-2012, 21:25
Walrus Jaw Bookends.

Bear Cables
12-05-2012, 00:34
If my husband gave me the best backpacking gift ever it would be the words "go when you want for as long as you want". Not that he doesn't want me to hike but he misses me when I am gone.

theinfamousj
12-06-2012, 02:23
Amazon wish lists work good with my family. We can all see each others and receive a gift that is something we pick for ourselves. I love it, I don't have to leave the house to go shopping for them.

Amen to that!

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

GraniteStater
12-06-2012, 02:26
warbonnet winter yeti underquilt !

Drybones
12-06-2012, 08:40
The wife gave me two pairs of Exofficio Give and Go underwear, very nice but it doesn't feel right wearing them to the woods when they cost more than every other pair of underwear I've bought in my life, I should save them for Sundays. My mother would be pleased if I had them on when I'm in an accidnt and must go to the hospital.

WingedMonkey
12-06-2012, 08:46
My mother would be pleased if I had them on when I'm in an accidnt and must go to the hospital.

In my youth when I was smashed by a car on the way to a Boy Scout meeting, the first thing they cut off me at the hospital was my pants then underwear.

Haven't fell for that line since.

Hoofit
12-06-2012, 09:54
Helium heels in my boots to lighten the Load!!!

CentralVaAt
12-08-2012, 00:17
I always seem to get some type of knife or flashlight. I've dropped a few hints this year about a new gps/elevation watch. Clothes are good too.