PDA

View Full Version : New AT Seciton Hiker - Need Advice

fecoleman
11-28-2012, 15:40
Hello everyone. My wife, myself and another military couple are going hiking in later March 2013. We are wanting to start off in Georgia, because we have family who can come and pick us up. As I explore the AT more from maps and from other hiker's blogs, several questions arise.

First, from the Forest Service Road 42 parking area, how far is it to the Trail Head @ Springer Mtn.?

Secondly, for our wives, who don't hike often, what is a reasonable pace? They are starting to go the YMCA and work out now...but...

Thirdly, is 50 miles the first trip (from Springer Mtn. to Helen), unreasonable for two new hikers?

Finally, what type of temperature conditions should we prepare for (day/night) for later March?

I greatly appreciate any additional help you can provide on this trip.

Thanks,

Frank

MDSection12
11-28-2012, 15:48
I can only comment on the pace, as I don't know the area down there at all.

For the group I go with (all mid-twenties guys in decent shape, but definitely not marathon runners) we always seem to end up with a 2.5 mph average over a day of hiking. It's almost become a joke between us... We try to speed up, or slow down, then at the end of the day we realize that we still came out around 2.5 mph. Of course that includes breaks, and even lunch, so we are actually hiking a bit faster. As for the miles we are all more than comfortable doing 10 miles a day. Once we go above 15 miles a day the grumbling starts. Personally I can handle close to 20 in a day, but it became very clear on our last trip that the group cannot.

cowpoke
11-28-2012, 15:49
First....thank you for your service to our Nation. It's about a mile from the parking lot at FS 42 back up to top of Springer Mtn. Take it slow...nice section..coupe of days to Woody Gap..couple more days over to Neel's Gap...good spot to determine how you're doing. Call Josh or Leigh at the Hiker Hostel www.hikerhostel.com Temps in GA in march can be cold...plan accordingly....also remember this is beginning of "Thru Hike" season....trail might be crowded. Have a great hike.

Praha4
11-28-2012, 16:09
I'd make it a death march and see if the ladies can keep up. Good way to see if the marriage is sound.

have fun!

Feral Bill
11-28-2012, 16:13
I'd make it a death march and see if the ladies can keep up. Good way to see if the marriage is sound.

have fun! So which is it? Death March, or Have Fun?

Praha4
11-28-2012, 18:16
I was kidding.

trying to get all the way to Unicoi gap (assuming that's your intent on going to Helen, GA) on ur first hike with new hikers may be too much. Some bailout points are Woody Gap (21 miles) and Neels Gap (32 miles).

Assume 7.5 to 10 miles / day for new hikers in that section. They will have a challenge with Justis and Sassafrass Mountains in that section.

Temps can be sub=freezing to warm, late March in north GA is unpredictable. Take the right clothing for cold and wet... 35 degrees and rain is the most challenging for hikers.

Cookerhiker
11-28-2012, 18:39
I would not plan on 2.5 mph. The rule in group hikes is that your pace is dictated by the slowest member. It's admirable that your wives are working out - that should help on the ascents. But starting a 50 mile hike takes a toll on your body - legs, feet, knees, quads. Aim for 2 mph.

In the March timeframe, you'll be accompanied by scores of aspiring thruhikers so don't expect a solitary trail (or shelters).

bigcranky
11-29-2012, 08:20
50 miles from Springer to Unicoi Gap is a great first hike. Plan on taking six days:

1: Springer to Hawk Mountain. Camp near the shelter. Plenty of campsites and great water. Your friends from the Ranger training center often drop in for a firefight in the middle of the night. (I am not making this up.) Since the 8 miles from Springer to Hawk is relatively easy, you will be tempted to keep going -- DO NOT DO THIS. Seriously. Trust me.

2. Hawk to Gooch Mountain Shelter or Gooch Gap. Good water at the shelter, nice campsites at both places. This is the first day of some serious up and down.

3. Gooch to Woods Hole Shelter area or the Slaughter Creek campsites. This is a longer day of 11.5 to 13 miles, which is why I would camp at Gooch Gap the night before, so it's 11.5. You'll be climbing Blood Mountain late in the day.

4. Woods Hole to Neels Gap, take a break to resupply at the store. You can stay overnight here in the hostel, which is either a lot of fun or your own personal version of Hell, your choice. Or you can keep hiking up the ridge to Baggs Creek or Cowrock Mountain area. Stop at the top of Blood for the views if the weather is good.

5. Baggs Creek to Low Gap Shelter. This is a short day, but you'll get some nice views from the rock outcrops. Also some good climbs. (If you stay at Neels Gap, you can hike all the way here on day 5.)

6. Low Gap to Unicoi Gap and finish.

This hike averages just over 8 miles per day. That's a very reasonable pace for the start of a thru-hike, which makes it a very reasonable pace for your section. While I'm quite certain you can hike many more miles per day, I'm basing this on your description of your hiking party. Remember, when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

If your group finds itself hiking much faster than this, you can easily keep going to Dicks Creek Gap and get picked up there. You'll know on day 3, so you can use the phone at Neels Gap to make any changes.

Have a great hike!

fredmugs
11-29-2012, 08:25
I would not plan on 2.5 mph. The rule in group hikes is that your pace is dictated by the slowest member. It's admirable that your wives are working out - that should help on the ascents. But starting a 50 mile hike takes a toll on your body - legs, feet, knees, quads. Aim for 2 mph.

In the March timeframe, you'll be accompanied by scores of aspiring thruhikers so don't expect a solitary trail (or shelters).

Definitely plan for 2 MPH. I'm pretty hardcore and it's not often I can knock out 20 miles in 8 hours. Certainly not going thru Georgia and definitely not when I was first starting out.

max patch
11-29-2012, 09:10
3. Gooch to Woods Hole Shelter area or the Slaughter Creek campsites. This is a longer day of 11.5 to 13 miles, which is why I would camp at Gooch Gap the night before, so it's 11.5. You'll be climbing Blood Mountain late in the day.

Both those sites are in the area where you can't spend the nite unless you have a bear vault. (And you won't.) You'll most likely spend the nite at Lance Creek (with every other thru hiker in the area) which is a couple miles or so S of Woods.

max patch
11-29-2012, 09:15
4. Woods Hole to Neels Gap, take a break to resupply at the store. You can stay overnight here in the hostel, which is either a lot of fun or your own personal version of Hell, your choice. Or you can keep hiking up the ridge to Baggs Creek or Cowrock Mountain area. Stop at the top of Blood for the views if the weather is good.

Another option is to rent one of the nearby cabins for the nite at Neels Gap. I'm betting the wives will appreciate it.

bigcranky
11-29-2012, 12:43
Both those sites are in the area where you can't spend the nite unless you have a bear vault. (And you won't.) You'll most likely spend the nite at Lance Creek (with every other thru hiker in the area) which is a couple miles or so S of Woods.

Yeah, but there's no guarantee the bear requirement will be back in force next spring. Is there?

Also, +1 to the cabin rental.