PDA

View Full Version : Other Hobbies

ljcsov
11-28-2012, 16:24
Obviously, if you browse this site you enjoy hiking in some capacity, but what other activities or hobbies do you partake in to occupy your time?

For me, school keeps me fairly busy. So at this time, the only hobby I participate in frequently, aside from hiking, would be weightlifting.

Nevertheless, I find myself researching and looking for some other hobbie to delve into. Please feel free to share your hobbies, whether outdoorsy or not, that you enjoy aside from hiking.

At the moment, I am thinking about trying some climbing. However, it seems as though you may need to start with a group and solo adventures may not be all that safe. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on the topic.

Please share what hobbies you enjoy aside from hiking!

Rasty
11-28-2012, 16:27
Ocean Surf Kayaking

bonsai
11-28-2012, 16:32
Olympic weightlifting

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2012, 16:34
18243 Kayaking.

Studlintsean
11-28-2012, 16:38
I dont really have a whole lot of "hobbies" but another passion of mine are Pitbulls (all kinds of the "Pitbull" type dogs). I currently have a 7 year old male of my own and a 2 year old female foster dog.

ljcsov
11-28-2012, 16:52
Dogs are cool!!!

I am interested in canoeing, but I am still doing some research on what type of canoe to get. I hope to find one that I can maneuver myself, but is large enough to carry another person on some occasions. Also, I hope to find the right one used at a good price.

Rasty
11-28-2012, 16:56
Dogs are cool!!!

I am interested in canoeing, but I am still doing some research on what type of canoe to get. I hope to find one that I can maneuver myself, but is large enough to carry another person on some occasions. Also, I hope to find the right one used at a good price.

I think they have what is called a solo+ canoe with three seats but only has a max capacity for two. Are you looking to canoe flat or white water or a mixture of both?

ljcsov
11-28-2012, 17:10
I think they have what is called a solo+ canoe with three seats but only has a max capacity for two. Are you looking to canoe flat or white water or a mixture of both?

I guess for mostly flat water. We have a big river with many islands on it that I always thought would make for some fun canoeing. It would be enjoyable to also have the option to go some streams too. Perhaps someday I'd want to work into something more aggressive with experience.

Mrs Baggins
11-28-2012, 17:15
Kayaking in good weather. Bike riding. Going to the Renaissance Fair in full kit. Collecting all things related to Tolkien and Lord of the Rings. Making medieval style dinners for my friends. Reading. Scottish festivals. Travel. Cooking. Antiquing. Crocheting. Embroidery. Some sewing.

Statue
11-28-2012, 17:18
Golf is a big passion of mine but from time to time I get completely burned out on it. I've played it competitively since I was 15, played in college, thought about going pro but never did. I won the City Championship last August and right after that I realized I was done with the game for awhile, it was most definitely time to go hiking. =)

moytoy
11-28-2012, 17:20
When I'm not Sumo wrestling or Irish step-dancing I'm just hiking.

T.S.Kobzol
11-28-2012, 17:27
Sea Kayaking, Fly Fishing, Beekeeping, Raising Chickens, Backcountry Skiing, Street Photography, Target Shooting

Obviously, if you browse this site you enjoy hiking in some capacity, but what other activities or hobbies do you partake in to occupy your time?

For me, school keeps me fairly busy. So at this time, the only hobby I participate in frequently, aside from hiking, would be weightlifting.

Nevertheless, I find myself researching and looking for some other hobbie to delve into. Please feel free to share your hobbies, whether outdoorsy or not, that you enjoy aside from hiking.

At the moment, I am thinking about trying some climbing. However, it seems as though you may need to start with a group and solo adventures may not be all that safe. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on the topic.

Please share what hobbies you enjoy aside from hiking!

hikerboy57
11-28-2012, 17:28
guitar, been playing since i was 8.
my other hobby is going on hiking websites

bannerstone
11-28-2012, 17:33
Kayaking, road cycling, target shooting, woodworking.

David

Namaste
11-28-2012, 17:37
I like all outdoor winter activities such as snowshoeing, skiing, Nordic and Alpine. I love organic gardening, knitting, sewing, biking, birding, and collecting PEZ dispensers :)

hobby
11-28-2012, 17:43
kayaking, golf, snow skiing, wine and beer making:)

geomaniac
11-28-2012, 17:46
kayaking, lapidary, rockhounding, biking, beekeeping, gardening

Feral Bill
11-28-2012, 17:46
Sailing, cycling, family.

hobby
11-28-2012, 17:51
Hobby's hobbies

bert304
11-28-2012, 17:52
Fly Fishing

SCRUB HIKER
11-28-2012, 18:25
- Whitewater rafting ... I've managed to parlay this into seasonal employment, lucky me
- Golf
- Trivia (attending trivia nights and hosting/question-writing both)

1azarus
11-28-2012, 18:28
The best hobby is playing ukulele. All other hobbies weigh too much.

oh. I do like kite building and tai chi, too!

msupple
11-28-2012, 18:33
Whitewater and flatwater kayaking, canoe camping, snowboarding, snowshoeing, biking etc ad nauseum.

Cat in the Hat

Different Socks
11-28-2012, 19:20
Keeping a journal, photographing sunsets, volunteer DJ at the local college, kayaking, flying my stun kite, using my telescope.

Tuckahoe
11-28-2012, 19:54
Besides hiking and camping... Target shooting and building AR type rifles, WW1 reenacting, and knitting are a few. Im a blacksmith for my day job.

Cookerhiker
11-28-2012, 20:12
Besides backpacking: day-hiking either alone, with my GF, or with 2 local groups I belong to.
Trail maintenance
Cycling on my hybrid, especially on converted rail-trails
Cooking & baking, especially the latter
Reading
Listening to music (Celtic & classical mostly)

oldbear
11-28-2012, 20:14
Road cycling
Swimming in the Gulf
and
I just rediscovered the joys machineless bread making

BigRing
11-28-2012, 20:32
Road bicycle racing and archery hunting.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2012, 20:36
golf
Harley ridin'
drinkin' good beer like Busch light
horseshoes
music festivals and Drive-By-Trucker shows
bustin' hikers at The Place smokin' dope and other stupid crap

melaniebk
11-28-2012, 20:49
Besides hiking, I crochet, draw, read, and climb in a gym. If you think you want to get into climbing you should look for a gym in your area. It's not the same as outdoor climbing, but you'll develop your skills and meet other people who climb. I took up climbing last year (at age 49) and have found the other climbers to be accepting and encouraging (much like the WhiteBlaze community)! As you get older, it's hard to find many people in your current circle of friends who want to learn a new sport that's pretty strenous. Going to a gym increases the chances that you'll find a climbing partner or group to climb with.

elytis
11-28-2012, 20:50
beer making, airsoft/shooting competitions, RC airplanes

T-Rx
11-28-2012, 20:50
Golf
day hiking
reading
singing at local restaraunts and bars with a buddy that plays guitar

Cookerhiker
11-28-2012, 21:27
...and
I just rediscovered the joys machineless bread making

Yep - I started making yeast breads about 10 years ago. With my hands. Never used a bread machine.

It's curious and amusing that when I mention baking bread, it's only women who ask me if I use a machine.;)

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2012, 21:35
I guess for mostly flat water. We have a big river with many islands on it that I always thought would make for some fun canoeing. It would be enjoyable to also have the option to go some streams too. Perhaps someday I'd want to work into something more aggressive with experience.

Because we have answered each other questions in the past... I would suggest a used Old Town 14-16 footer ... these come up at garage sales and Craig's list as dead weight when the wife says get it out of here! I pick them up for less than $150 with paddles. Its important if the person says yes to have the car with the stuff to remove it immediately! Or be back in an hour or less. Here is my latest acquisition for $99

http://www.rei.com/product/811221/old-town-saranac-canoe-146,-green?preferredSku=8112210001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8112210001&mr:trackingCode=99F8B9F0-2E66-E111-88CA-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy:s_kwcid}=&gclid=CNfWraCG87MCFYqZ4Aod0yMAkQ

Odd Man Out
11-28-2012, 21:37
Beer making
Cello playing

Rasty
11-28-2012, 22:00

Because we have answered each other questions in the past... I would suggest a used Old Town 14-16 footer ... these come up at garage sales and Craig's list as dead weight when the wife says get it out of here! I pick them up for less than $150 with paddles. Its important if the person says yes to have the car with the stuff to remove it immediately! Or be back in an hour or less. Here is my latest acquisition for $99

http://www.rei.com/product/811221/old-town-saranac-canoe-146,-green?preferredSku=8112210001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8112210001&mr:trackingCode=99F8B9F0-2E66-E111-88CA-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy:s_kwcid}=&gclid=CNfWraCG87MCFYqZ4Aod0yMAkQ

Or if your looking for a thrill check out this boat.

Rocket Jones
11-28-2012, 22:01
High power rocketry, day hikes, painting and sketching, cult cinema, gardening, too many others...

oldbear
11-28-2012, 22:04
Yep - I started making yeast breads about 10 years ago. With my hands. Never used a bread machine.

It's curious and amusing that when I mention baking bread, it's only women who ask me if I use a machine.;)
I wasn't using a bread machine ; I was using a Kitchen -Aid mixer...and for some reason I decided to take the tech down below that

prain4u
11-28-2012, 22:23
Genealogy (Tracing family trees). History (historical research, reading about history, going to historical sites, etc). Photography (Nothing fancy or high tech. Just fun stuff for me and family members).

ljcsov
11-28-2012, 22:27

That's a good catch! I am on the patrol with craigslist.

As for climbing, it appears to me like the full on traditional climbing may be a bit expensive for me to get into. Bouldering seems to be a good starting option. I can recall hiking past many small rock outcroppings that climbers would likely enjoy for some bouldering excursions. I guess it could be as easy as getting shoes and a chalk bag. After that, I can cruise the woods and look for a place to climb?

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2012, 22:32
Oh god no... a cruise in the woods? google boldering and what ever..... look around!

Pringles
11-28-2012, 22:36
Kayaking (sea and recreational), rafting, canoeing, trumpet, reading, and sewing (thanks to Ray Jardine).

Pringles

ljcsov
11-28-2012, 22:45
Oh god no... a cruise in the woods? google boldering and what ever..... look around!

Along the AT and various other trails I've managed to find some nice natural rock formations. Maybe they'd be fun to climb on! :)

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2012, 22:48
There are lots of places locally to where you live where you can climb and boulder.

Zippy Morocco
11-28-2012, 22:48
Pickin' Bluegrass (guitar) , snowboarding, skiing, MYOG, stock market, geo caching. I'm looking forward to setting all these aside to Hike the AT end to end with my love.

map man
11-28-2012, 22:55
Running.
Reading good fiction.

The original poster mentions climbing. One way to dip your toe in the climbing water is to start by making it an extension of hiking. For example, I have come to enjoy scrambling off trail to the tops of some western mountains on backpacking trips. None of the routes are more difficult than Class III, so the climbing is not "technical." But it has whet my appetite for trying to learn some skills (like learning to use crampons and ice axe on the way up some mountains that involve crossing snow and ice on the way up) which are bordering on technical. And these things don't require that I be in a group to learn or do them, as long as I am diligent and careful. Something to think about if you want an introduction to the world of climbing.

hikerboy57
11-28-2012, 22:56
Along the AT and various other trails I've managed to find some nice natural rock formations. Maybe they'd be fun to climb on! :)
from pennsylvania up through maine there are plenty of bouldering opps.just make sure youve got a good landing spot if you're not bringing a pad.better yet bring a pad or a buddy to spot yo or both. climbings great. falling sucks

imscotty
11-28-2012, 22:59
I teach in a Community College near Boston and in trying to get to know my students I sometimes ask them what their hobbies are. Most the time they just stare at me blankly and say hanging with their friends or going to the mall. Most of them are totally disconnected from the natural world. When I talk about my hikes some of them look at me like I'm crazy. Most of them have never spent a night in the woods and have never seen the Milky Way or a shooting star in the night sky. It makes me sad.

My hobbies have enriched my life so much. People with interests generally are interesting people. Judging from the above replies you are all interesting people that I would love to spend some time with. My hobbies have included genealogy, travel, beekeeping and tropical fish keeping. I collect antiques, enjoy craft beer, candlepin bowling and so much more.

map man
11-28-2012, 23:03
I thinks it's refreshing that in all the replies so far not a single person has mentioned spectator sports. Life is good when you are doing stuff instead of watching stuff.

ljcsov
11-28-2012, 23:11
I thinks it's refreshing that in all the replies so far not a single person has mentioned spectator sports. Life is good when you are doing stuff instead of watching stuff.

People always make fun of me when they ask me what my favorite sports teams are. I never have an answer for them. It always goes, "Well I guess if I had to pick someone it would be [INSERT]." I never really could get into watching sports, nor could I understand how people almost worship pro athletes by memorizing their stats and achievements. As for me, I'd like to go out and conquer my own challenges and accomplish personal achievements.

Perhaps this bouldering is something worth trying. I have some chalk around, so I can give it a go pretty easily. If I'm into it, I'll invest in some shoes and a chalk bag. There is a local climbing gym, but I hear they are pretty elitist, which isn't something I'm about.

hikerboy57
11-28-2012, 23:23
when i was kid i climbed everything, buildings, houses, trees, rocks,walls, cliffs.worked in an amusement park as a mechanic, got used to being up high, always loved it. plenty of places and things to climb. theres probably stuff right in your neighborhood you could climb(although your neighbors might think youre crazy)and you might want to let the local police know what your up to if attempting any buildings or public structures.

prain4u
11-28-2012, 23:34
I teach in a Community College near Boston and in trying to get to know my students I sometimes ask them what their hobbies are. Most the time they just stare at me blankly and say hanging with their friends or going to the mall. Most of them are totally disconnected from the natural world. When I talk about my hikes some of them look at me like I'm crazy. Most of them have never spent a night in the woods and have never seen the Milky Way or a shooting star in the night sky. It makes me sad.

I hadn't thought about it until I read your post--but your observations are right on target. I spend lots of time around "younger" people--and very few have what could be classified as hobbies (other than the internet, TV and video games) and the very thought of being "out in the woods" (even for part of a day) causes them to shudder.

melaniebk
11-28-2012, 23:40
That's a good catch! I am on the patrol with craigslist.

As for climbing, it appears to me like the full on traditional climbing may be a bit expensive for me to get into. Bouldering seems to be a good starting option. I can recall hiking past many small rock outcroppings that climbers would likely enjoy for some bouldering excursions. I guess it could be as easy as getting shoes and a chalk bag. After that, I can cruise the woods and look for a place to climb?

And a helmet and a crash mat and a partner. Also, there are liability issues with high risk activities and some places have regulations and restrictions regarding when, where, and if you can climb. If you hook up with some experienced climbers, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. Gyms also have areas set aside for bouldering problems. Crush it!

Rasty
11-28-2012, 23:46

Very True! I like soccer and baseball but would not spend more then 5 minutes per year watching either. The other thing that is noticeable is the amount of posts about kayaking.

Cookerhiker
11-28-2012, 23:49

I don't own a TV so any temptation to watch sports or other stuff just isn't there.

It's funny when salesmen from either my ISP or the other one (we actually have competition here) ask me what I do for TV and push all these package deals. They don't know how to respond to my answer.

Kingbee
11-28-2012, 23:59
Birding outdoors, board gaming indoors.

Starvin Marvin
11-29-2012, 01:53
Skydiving.

58starter
11-29-2012, 10:04
I build custom doll houses. Started about 33 yrs ago when my daughter was 5yrs old. I am now rebuilding it for her and her 2 girls. I have 4 grand daughters and have built doll houses for each as they were old enough.

Josh Calhoun
11-29-2012, 10:12
nice thread , i have so many hobbies its no wonder why i am so broke all the time :) my number 1 hobby is Deer hunting but i hunt rabbit squirrel hog coyote and coon also. then comes trout fishing and coyote/fox trapping. and i guess i can consider beer drinking as a hobby as well :)

vamelungeon
11-29-2012, 10:22
Collecting stamps, all things firearms (collecting, shooting, loading ammunition, etc) ham radio, woodworking, hunting, reading and collecting books, genealogy.

Seatbelt
11-29-2012, 10:26
Pickin' bluegrass banjo
Outdoor sound productions, (small-medium)
Lions Club activities
Antique tractors
Section hiking in different states--especially PA

Mags
11-29-2012, 10:38
Most the time they just stare at me blankly and say hanging with their friends or going to the mall.

Seems most people do not have any hobbies or passion. I (half?) joke that life would be easier if I was into sports, going to the mall and just hanging out with the occasional Disney vacation thrown in once in a while. Could move back East, live where it is less expensive and let Mom spoil the heck out of us. :)

TunaSlayer
11-29-2012, 11:05
Long range sportfishing. Which is multi day fishing trips up to 17 days on sportfishing boats out of san diego.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 11:11
Seems most people do not have any hobbies or passion. I (half?) joke that life would be easier if I was into sports, going to the mall and just hanging out with the occasional Disney vacation thrown in once in a while. Could move back East, live where it is less expensive and let Mom spoil the heck out of us. :)

Disney would be hell on earth! I refuse to go there with the kids. We go camping or rafting instead. Goofy scares me!

T.S.Kobzol
11-29-2012, 11:26
so true. One of my minirants when talking to my kids is to imprint in them a desire to be a 'producer' instead of a 'consumer'

case in point: sitting at a computer is a popular past time. I work with my kids to teach them how to code in html, asp and to produce web pages or web applications or scripts for their games. I want them to MAKE STUFF and not just consume stuff that someone else made.

Pedaling Fool
11-29-2012, 11:33
I've been attempting to telepathically communicate with aliens; I think I'm starting to hear voices in my head.

Rocket Jones
11-29-2012, 12:11
Oh, is that you? Stop it, you're messing with our signal. ;)

Namaste
11-29-2012, 12:24

Uh oh, I forgot to mention that I LOVE watching European Leagues soccer :) ....then I go outside and kick the ball around hahahaha.

Tuckahoe
11-29-2012, 13:03

I hadn't thought about it until I read your post--but your observations are right on target. I spend lots of time around "younger" people--and very few have what could be classified as hobbies (other than the internet, TV and video games) and the very thought of being "out in the woods" (even for part of a day) causes them to shudder.

I know that its easy to think of the original quote as being a generational issue, but my take on it though is that its as much regional and cultural than generational. Those never exposed to the outdoors are not going to develop an appreciation for it.

moose717
11-29-2012, 13:14
Other than hiking ... car camping, reading & sewing ... another shout out to Ray Jardine ... finished my quilt and after sewing gifts for the holidays (making all of the nieces & nephews snuggies) I'll finish the backpack I started.

tiptoe
11-29-2012, 16:08
Gardening, cooking, baking (bread, and not by machine), reading (no TV, and don't miss it), swimming, walking my dog. But these are all activities, not really hobbies.

daddytwosticks
11-29-2012, 16:36
Wow, this is really sad. Only hobby I have is hiking. :(

TheYoungOne
11-29-2012, 16:49
Its funny how so many people said kayaking. After looking thru the camping/hiking section of a sporting goods store, I always look at the kayaks and say, "I should get one of those someday."

I like fishing, target shooting, and gardening. I also like traveling...even to places like Disney. ;)

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2012, 18:28
I've been attempting to telepathically communicate with aliens; I think I'm starting to hear voices in my head.

Have you considered turning of the Shortwave Radio taking off the ear buds and getting some help? :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
11-29-2012, 19:17
Have you considered turning of the Shortwave Radio taking off the ear buds and getting some help? :rolleyes:
those voices are definitely not aliens

Double Wide
11-29-2012, 19:25
Used to do sailing until I realized how much money it cost. That and I moved to Tennessee where the nearest saltwater is in the lobster tank at Publix. Besides backpacking/hiking, I still enjoy car camping with family and friends, plus making the attempt at playing the bass with a bunch of other musicians who are much better than I am. If I can scare up a poker game, I love to do that, too, along with a bit of writing.

tnvarmint
11-29-2012, 21:03
In the summer I enjoy trout fishing, fly fishing and kayaking. I also love metal detecting year round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ljcsov
11-29-2012, 21:15
Kayaking looks like a lot of fun.

Do to camping from a kayak does it require one of those big "touring" style kayaks?

Rasty
11-29-2012, 21:23
Kayaking looks like a lot of fun.

Do to camping from a kayak does it require one of those big "touring" style kayaks?

Depends on the type of kayak. Overnight whitewater kayak camping requires ultra light gear. Most mid size sea kayaks have plenty of storage for your backpacking gear. The larger touring kayaks have massive storage.

Six-Six
11-29-2012, 21:32
Flyfishing, woodworking.

Sarcasm the elf
11-29-2012, 22:02
Does trying to sell an house with an underwater mortgage count as a hobby? I spent most of the last two years doing that. :D

Now that that's all over and I have some free time and money:

Slowly fixing up my beater '89 ski nautique 20-01 ski boat. Hopefully after a caurborator rebuild it will run smoothly enough to once again tow a water skier.

Spending lots of time running the dogs on trails at a local farm/stable, this is actually quite distinct from real hiking.

Trying my hand at deer hunting for the first time this year. I didn't really like the killing part, but I've got almost a uear's supply of venison in the freezer.

Pretending that I'm training to work my way up to a 10-k or half marathon next year.

Reading a good bit, especially books written by people that actually have time to hike. :eek:

ParkRat09
11-29-2012, 22:10
Rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, fly fishing, disc golf, regular golf...ANYTHING OUTSIDE!!!

trailwobbles
11-29-2012, 23:54
I'm a student still so that takes up most of my time, but I like to volunteer. Especially for anything that has to do with housing or urban gardening. I hope to work in the non profit sector someday.

Other than that I garden, study opera, and read. It's really awesome to grow your own vegetables. Trying to get out doors more...been learning about barefoot running....

Phikes
11-30-2012, 10:35
Disc golf, almost as bad an addiction as hiking. Can't believe only one other person has said it.

HikerMom58
11-30-2012, 10:54
I love to meet new people, talk, hang out on WB. I like to work outside in the yard. I love to mow grass, trim bushes and plant trees and flowers. I like to bake for the holidays & sew crafty things. I love being around water 2. Love to jet ski, water ski and go white water rafting. I like canoeing and kayaking. I like rock scrambling & repelling. I love to ice skate & ski. I'm not really good at any one thing but I love to try it all. I can't play any sports well myself but really admire true athletes. I really love anything to do with the AT, not just hiking it. I know it's the people that draw me to the AT just as much as it's beauty.

jimmyjam
11-30-2012, 13:21
I like camping anywhere and everywhere, ocean kayaking, target shooting, bicycling, fishing, jeeping, and anything else that gets me out of the house.

RETCW4
11-30-2012, 15:14
Building model cars and blacksmithing.

DrRichardCranium
11-30-2012, 15:35
My trail name is Homebrew, and that is my hobby. I have a temperature-controlled freezer so I can make lagers as well as ales.

hikerhobs
11-30-2012, 15:46
kayaking,mountain biking, anything outside :cool:

Smooth & Wasabi
11-30-2012, 21:57
Skiing backcountry and lift served, flat water paddling, mountain biking, DIY, and just started gardening. However with a 15 month old daughter I have mainly been running and parenting lately.

Papa D
11-30-2012, 22:02
This is a cool thread - thanks -

I enjoy rock climbing, snow skiing, and long distance running. I also shoot a pretty mean game of pool, play enough guitar to sound silly, and can put on a tweed jacket and act like a wine snob. I have a cool little kid in the 1st grade who is a better athlete than me in most ways and a great wife who is most amazing because she puts up with all of my adventures.

Thirsty DPD
11-30-2012, 22:36
Having a companion Border Collie is a full time hobby. But I also enjoy vintage/antique canoe restoration; marathon canoe racing, whitewater, tripping....... I can prove I'm the worst banjo picker goin', & I never take a banjo canoeing, it's really bad luck.

drifter
11-30-2012, 23:00
Hot Air Ballooning for a long time (until it got too heavy to packup) - now just backpacking!

Papa D
11-30-2012, 23:02
Hot Air Ballooning for a long time (until it got too heavy to packup) - now just backpacking!

Man - I've always wanted to do this - if I show up in Ohio, will you take me up? I'm serious.

drifter
11-30-2012, 23:13
Man - I've always wanted to do this - if I show up in Ohio, will you take me up? I'm serious.

Sorry, I would've but it's already been several years since I've flown, my pilot's license in not current any longer, had a lot of fun flying for 25 years...you definitely want to do it sometime as it's hard to describe the sensation.

Train Wreck
12-01-2012, 00:34
whitewater canoeing, skiing, fly fishing, silversmithing, dog rescue, lapidary, rock hounding, creating & collecting 1/12 scale miniatures. a total failure at the domestic arts like cooking and whatnot.

BryanE
12-02-2012, 03:34
Sorry, I would've but it's already been several years since I've flown, my pilot's license in not current any longer, had a lot of fun flying for 25 years...you definitely want to do it sometime as it's hard to describe the sensation.

Hot air ballooning is out of this world. My uncle has one and he took me up once. It was winter and we took it out to the middle of the lake on snowmobiles and sleds. When the burner isn't on full blast and you are just silently floating away from the Earth. Indescribable. What a sensation.

Rock climbing is my main hobby no doubt. I also enjoy amateur astronomy (although I haven't looked through a telescope in god knows how long), reading, socializing, listening to PodCasts, etc.

OzJacko
12-02-2012, 07:41
I tend to have one interest at a time and hiking is a bit all-consuming at present (when I can get out of the cafe).
In the past however....
Much of my adult life - played golf.
Before golf was into car rallying (motorsport). Used to race down little tracks I now walk on.
Have also raced pigeons (they always beat me).
Car camping, limited amount of (sit on) kayaking - I can't eskimo roll.
Raised 3 kids and stayed married sums it up - the last tends to impact on pursuit of individual interests...:D

fredmugs
12-02-2012, 08:42
Right now it's drinking as many of the Beer Advocate Beers of Fame that I can and trying to be a better beer snob.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/fame

imscotty
12-02-2012, 09:10
Right now it's drinking as many of the Beer Advocate Beers of Fame that I can and trying to be a better beer snob.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/fame

FredMugs, I have sampled 8 out of the top 10 :) My favorite is the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. And although it is not on the list, the 'Rare Bourbon County Stout' is even better. You live in Indiana? Lucky man. I had some Three Floyds shipped to me this week, but it cost me dearly.

FatMan
12-02-2012, 10:08
Numismatics - Focus on Dahlonega Branch Mint
Dahlonega Gold Rush History
Homebrewing

Hill Ape
12-02-2012, 16:41
Skilled Supervisor with Atlanta Habitat for Humanity, every Saturday

T-Rx
12-02-2012, 17:52

Beer making
Cello playing

My trail name is Homebrew, and that is my hobby. I have a temperature-controlled freezer so I can make lagers as well as ales.

Numismatics - Focus on Dahlonega Branch Mint
Dahlonega Gold Rush History
Homebrewing

Given all the WB members that enjoy home wine and beer making I am contemplating a new hobby. Home brew taste testing and critique. PLEASE send samples! Just pm me for my address! :banana

Bucherm
12-03-2012, 03:06
History-related reading

Travel

Shooting my AR-15.

Oftentimes I just see what's going on on meetup.com groups I'm part of.

Deadeye
12-03-2012, 21:16
Model railroading & rail history
Fly tying & fishing
Obstacle racing (Spartan/Tough Mudder stuff)
Weightlifting
MMA
Cooking

paistes5
12-04-2012, 00:06
Kayaking
Riding my motorcycles
Photography
Cooking

Bear Cables
12-04-2012, 00:41
golf, fitness, kayaking, drinking good wine with good friends :)

Halliho
12-04-2012, 01:13
Cycling, Kayaking, Whittling, indoor badminton, ping pong, Pickleball, gardening, planning AT backpacks, reading White Blaze is becoming more important lately, solving cryptograms, reading.

Disc golf? PHikes, It seems to be mostly for 30 something guys, have you noticed that? More fun than regular golf, but older people sometimes can't do that twist very elegantly or without some pain later..

fredmugs
12-04-2012, 07:31
FredMugs, I have sampled 8 out of the top 10 :) My favorite is the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. And although it is not on the list, the 'Rare Bourbon County Stout' is even better. You live in Indiana? Lucky man. I had some Three Floyds shipped to me this week, but it cost me dearly.

First time I've heard "Indiana" and "lucky man" in the same sentence.

OzJacko
12-04-2012, 08:08
Given all the WB members that enjoy home wine and beer making I am contemplating a new hobby. Home brew taste testing and critique. PLEASE send samples! Just pm me for my address! :banana
I think there was another you missed but all but one are in AT states!!
Watch for my journal next year guys I'll come to your neck of the woods for a taste!:banana:banana

wildbilltn
12-04-2012, 09:32
I love to trout fish and deer hunt, to take care of my little homestead (keep bees, chickens, rabbits, goats, etc.), and teach and train in martial arts (Chinese boxing, tai chi, escrima). I live within a few miles of the Great Smoky Mtns and Big South Fork NRRA. Lucky me! I was a wilderness guide for over 20 years, taking at-risk kids on wilderness expeditions, rock climbing, caving, rafting, etc. Now retired from teaching school and coaching, so I have more time for me.

joshuasdad
12-04-2012, 09:51
I used to have other hobbies... After finishing section hiking the AT, I will travel more to non-mountainous destinations (wife has demanded a cruise), and may start heading up mountains the easy way, i.e., on a ski lift. May get back into beer making again too.