PDA

View Full Version : Hammock thru'ers i need you

Darwin13
11-28-2012, 19:12
OK SO THIS MESSAGE IS TO THOSE WHO USED A HAMMOCK WHILST THRU HIKING THE AT OR AT LEAST STARTED WITH A HAMMOCK IN THE EARLY MONTHS OR WEEKS OF THEIR THRU.

Ok so now that's out of the way, here are some of my questions.

1. What was your setup? I have heard it said that some nights will get down to the teens in the early part of the trail (nobo starting in mid march). DOes that mean il need a 0 degree UQ? SO what did you use: Hammock, under insulation/top insulation, tarp.

2. What was your sleeping clothing system with said hammock system? I have a god setup i believe but more variation and research is always wanted.

Ok so I have a warbonnet bb 1.1. I want to use my Leighlo 20* UQ with a Gossamergear thin light pad for foot insulation. As a Top quilt I want to use my 30* Westernmountaineering caribou. I like the sleeping bag, bc it allows me to sleep in a shelter if i want. I sleep hot.

Thanks guys.

thebrewguy
11-28-2012, 21:56
Hey, I've never thrued but I've done quite a few sections and I'm a hammocker. I hope to thru in the near future. My plan was to use a 40f 3/4 UQ and 40f TQ and then bring a gossamer gear pad and maybe some extra clothes for the beginning and end. You could also use a sleeping bag liner to add 10+ degrees to your system then send it home or bounce ahead. The pad would be good to keep the whole time because then you have something to lay on in shelters etc. I would go as light as possible with UQ/TQ and have ways to add warmth for the months you need it. You could also use a double layer hammock and only use the pad. Extra weight for double layer but no UQ if you plan to bring the pad anyway. Just some ideas for ya

Grits
11-28-2012, 22:32
Sounds like you have a great start. I would go hammock forums read and ask questions. I would also hang in the back yard and test different ideas and find what works best for you. http://www.hammockforums.net/?

RichardD
11-28-2012, 23:06
I thru hiked in 2011, my hammock was a Hennessey and I used a JRB Mt washington4 underquilt rated at 5 deg with a Western Mountaineering 20 deg bag. I used this from Springer to Pearisburg and Hanover to Katahdin. It kept me toasty warm at night and was overkill, I am sure you can get by with a 20 deg underquilt and perhaps 32 deg bag with some supplemental clothing.
I started March 23, my coldest time was after traildays a couple of days North of Damascus, late May. Freezing fog and I retired to my bag and could not warm up, I was shaking. I made a hot water bottle, it stopped the shaking in seconds and I was soon toasty warm for the whole night. A hot water bottle can be a game changer when you become seriously cold.
Between Pearisburg and Hanover I used my Nest underquilt rated at 32 deg and a topquilt rated at 40 deg. I also had a lightweight down jacket. I was never cold, I rarely had the topquilt over me.
We are quite different in age and I would guess that with your young metabolism you would not need the rather extreme cold protection that I used, of course every year is different.
Enjoy your hike

tammons
12-05-2012, 10:39
This guy just finished a thru with a SUL hammock setup. I think his base is around 9# or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVoX6mlmdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k

Hairbear
12-05-2012, 18:24
im a potential thru hiker will start this year.i asked pan from jacks r better to help me with your very question.the advice that he gave was start with the 20 uq and a pad,carry that until it warms up enough for you to think it is too much.at that point cut what you want out of the pad for a sit pad,and give the rest away to others,so you dont have to carry it.you wont need a pad again until the whites then have a new full pad delivered to you on the trail.back up what i said from others as i am not yet a through hiker,just a person gathering info just like you.see you out there.

Old Hiker
12-05-2012, 22:18
OK SO THIS MESSAGE IS TO THOSE WHO USED A HAMMOCK WHILST THRU HIKING THE AT OR AT LEAST STARTED WITH A HAMMOCK IN THE EARLY MONTHS OR WEEKS OF THEIR THRU.

Ok so now that's out of the way, here are some of my questions.

1. What was your setup? I have heard it said that some nights will get down to the teens in the early part of the trail (nobo starting in mid march). DOes that mean il need a 0 degree UQ? SO what did you use: Hammock, under insulation/top insulation, tarp.

Started 29 Feb 2012 with a Clark Jungle hammock, extra large fly. Had a Wally type closed-cell pad and a 0* down bag. Never was cold or wet, UNTIL I tried to get up in the mornings with a hard wind, blowing rain and foggy conditions. It was hard to get dressed and keep dry while doing so. Coldest night with the hammock was about 23*. Switched back to a tent to stay warm(ish) and dry getting up. Have NEVER used anything but a pad and sleeping bag, down to 18*(?) or so - 0* down bag. .................

2. What was your sleeping clothing system with said hammock system? I have a god setup i believe but more variation and research is always wanted.

Slept in thin shorts and t-shirt. Was VERY hot - temps were above normal. Switched to 30* bag in Hot Springs and was very comfortable the rest of my attempt. ...............

Ok so I have a warbonnet bb 1.1. I want to use my Leighlo 20* UQ with a Gossamergear thin light pad for foot insulation. As a Top quilt I want to use my 30* Westernmountaineering caribou. I like the sleeping bag, bc it allows me to sleep in a shelter if i want. I sleep hot.

Thanks guys.

Darwin13
12-25-2012, 13:59
Add Content

SOBO_Pace
12-25-2012, 15:06
I just got done with a south bound thru and used a WBBB the entire trip. I used a WB 20* IQ for majority but was loaned a 0* IQ for a portion too as well as a western mountaineering 30*. I also carried a small piece of foam pad. I slept in tights most cooler nights. Also I used a wool long sleeve for camp and sleeping. Some very cold nights I would sleep in everything including my down jacket and rain gear. I was never cold the entire trip. A couple nights it probably got to the single to mid teens when I was going thru pearisburg.

skeeterfeeder
12-25-2012, 17:15
If you are interested, here is link to my book on my thru...I used a Hennessy:
http://www.amazon.com/A-Test-Of-Time-ebook/dp/B009L5B874%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ7PIYHFXCR45AJPQ %26tag%3Daging-skin-solutions-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB009L5B874

bear bag hanger
12-26-2012, 10:09

I thru hiked the AT in 2004 and started Feb 28th. Used a Hennessy and a closed cell pad, which I slept on top of. The first month or so, carried two pads and two sleeping bags, but I think I over did that, don't think I really needed both. I plan to do another thru hike in 2013, but will use a double layered DangerBird instead. Used a 20 degree sleeping bag in 2004, will use a Mt Washington sleeping quilt and Greylock 3 underquilt from JRB this time. Not sure about the underquilt though, may use a closed cell pad as it's lighter to carry.

Nothing special here. Mostly slept in what ever I was wearing while hiking (zip off pants and a Columbia Titanium shirt). If it got really cold, added a polartect shirt and pants. Plan to do the same for 2013.

You don't mention if your WBBB is single or double layer. With two layers, it's a lot easier to be comfortable with a sleeping pad of some sort. With a single layer, you pretty much have to go with a underquilt of some sort. Underquilts are wonderfully comfortable, but are a couple oz heavier than a closed cell pad and are in danger of getting wet in driving rain. Plus, if you don't already have a underquilt, they are much more expensive than a sleeping pad.

Thanks guys.

SawnieRobertson
12-26-2012, 19:01
I
This guy just finished a thru with a SUL hammock setup. I think his base is around 9# or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVoX6mlmdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k In both cases, the links did not work.

SawnieRobertson
12-26-2012, 19:09
[QUOTE=skeeterfeeder;1378587]If you are interested, here is link to my book on my thru...I used a Hennessy:
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/A-Test-Of-Time-ebook/dp/B009L5B874%3FSu.... Is it only available for Kindle or as an ebook?