PDA

View Full Version : Old Navy Down "lightweight frost free " jacket on sale for $42

TheYoungOne
11-28-2012, 23:21
Basically a patagonia knockoff. Its not on their website, only in the stores in their "active" section. They were $70 but on sale for 40% off until December 1st. I eyeballed it, and it looks decent, down filled, claims to have a water "resistant" coating, and is real lightweight. It may be a good option of a 2013 thru hiker on a budget.

Its also popping up on ebay for even cheaper if they have your size and color.

According to another thread it weighs in a 17oz for a medium, and could have some unneeded extras that could be cut/removed to save even more weight. For reference the Patagonia down jacket/sweater comes in a 11oz. Insulation according to the review is in the 80g/m+ range. I might give it a shot.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55493

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDMwMA==/$(KGrHqR,!iwFBL1s,wgrBQThJqPJ)g~~60_35.JPG

dornstar
11-29-2012, 00:04
These jackets are in style this year and you can find them everywhere. I got a 10 ounce down from JC Penny's 60% off on Black Friday for $39.

Dogwood
11-29-2012, 00:18
Down is in fashion. Companies have done their marketing research. And so the advertising and merchandising follows. UHH, make sure you are comparing oranges to oranges and apples to apples though. LOL. Or else, STING.

Mags
11-29-2012, 10:04
THe nice thing about fashion is that it makes functional outdoor clothing affordable.

Look at fleece jackets. The went from a high tech item to the equivalent of a comfy sweater in terms of fashion. Now, you can buy this stalwart of backcountry use for dirt cheap.

Will they be as good as a Patagonia or Montbell? Probably not.

will they work for most people...absolutely.

G-FOURce
11-29-2012, 11:33
i'm going to go check this out. i already have an REI Revelcloud and a Revelcloud Hoody, but this would make a great gift for a number of folks. our local store has them in stock and the price is $49 (not sure why it's $7 more?).

Tinker
11-29-2012, 12:11
Down is in fashion. Companies have done their marketing research. And so the advertising and merchandising follows. UHH, make sure you are comparing oranges to oranges and apples to apples though. LOL. Or else, STING.

True, everything can be downgraded without making an obvious visual difference, from low quality stitching and fabric to relatively low fillpower down and cheap zippers.

Higher cost doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but it should and usually does, especially if the manufacturer's name is on the garment vs. a generic garment with a hang tag designed by the

company doing the resaling of said garment (few big box retailers manufacture their own merchandise, even if their name is on the item).

TheYoungOne
11-29-2012, 16:20
THe nice thing about fashion is that it makes functional outdoor clothing affordable.

Look at fleece jackets. The went from a high tech item to the equivalent of a comfy sweater in terms of fashion. Now, you can buy this stalwart of backcountry use for dirt cheap.

Will they be as good as a Patagonia or Montbell? Probably not.

will they work for most people...absolutely.

True, everything can be downgraded without making an obvious visual difference, from low quality stitching and fabric to relatively low fillpower down and cheap zippers.

Higher cost doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but it should and usually does, especially if the manufacturer's name is on the garment vs. a generic garment with a hang tag designed by the

company doing the resaling of said garment (few big box retailers manufacture their own merchandise, even if their name is on the item).

That is what burns me with Patagonia and Northface. They are fashionable because they are expensive. Its a status symbol , that is being worn by soccer mom, and suburban teens that will never go out into the wilderness. Sure real cheap walmart knockoffs will really scrimp on materials and such, but is the quality that much different between a $200 Patagonia puffer jacket and a $200 Northface fleece and something made a mid level manfacture selling a similar product for under $100, and sometimes if you catch a sale for under $50. Northface is using Polartec fleece like other manufactures just check the label. Same with Primaloft that is made or licensed out by Primaloft Inc., and Down comes from geese. I'll pay the extra money if it was made in the USA, but those $200 Northface and Patagonia jackets are made in China or Hondorus by some poor slob that is making $12 a day. That poor slobs probably has a friend that is in the factory next door making the knockoff jacket and bringing home the same $12 a day.