PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Snow

Rasty
11-29-2012, 00:44
Any thoughts about the chance of good snow (12"+) in the GSMNP in late January. Or would it be better to wait until Early February? I'm comfortable with my skills even though they are rusty with Winter/Snow Hiking.

Hill Ape
11-29-2012, 01:07
i don't understand your question. in this context, what does better mean? do you want to hike in snow, or are you hoping to avoid snow? your post can be interpreted either way.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 01:24
Your correct on that. I want snow.

Hill Ape
11-29-2012, 07:23
is it going to rain in december? how much? one can't know these things no one predicted hurricane sandy more than a month out. you're asking an impossible question. my magic 8 ball, tea leaves, and chicken bones all say wait until you see a forecast for snow if thats what you want.

10-K
11-29-2012, 08:00
Rasty, there's no real way to answer that question... If you want snow, try to be flexible and head out when it snows.

HikerMom58
11-29-2012, 09:54
Rasty... this is ur "mom" talking... be careful with winter hiking. I'm pretty sure you have a good way to stay current with weather forecasts etc.., while on the trail. Winter storms can come up out of no where especially in the Smokies, that time of year. I really wonder what kind of winter we will have this year. The prediction is for a very snowy one. We'll see!! :) If mother nature works for you, this year, you could be hiking in a winter wonderland minus the wicked winter weather that she can sometimes throw at us. Good luck with your plans! :)

RED-DOG
11-29-2012, 10:14
Their is a great chance of snow in the GSMNP of 12 inches or more between January and April also i have seen snow as late as May, Personally i prefer to hike through the snow. RED-DOG

10-K
11-29-2012, 10:18
Also remember it's a lot more fun the hike in the snow at home in your warm house.

:)

Rasty
11-29-2012, 10:51
Also remember it's a lot more fun the hike in the snow at home in your warm house.

I really like hiking in cold weather. I'm almost done gearing up for winter hiking including lots of high quality down, microspikes, gaiters, good winter gloves, balaclava, an EVO pad to suppliment an air pad and a pair of Merrell winter hiking boots.

The plan is to start at Fontana and go north for a week. I'll adjust my Official plan depending on the conditions. I am flexible for a start date except for a trip to Arizona in mid January and Valentines day which is a mandatory work day. I just have to clear it with the bosses (Work & Home).

I haven't been snow camping in a long time.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 10:52
Rasty... this is ur "mom" talking... be careful with winter hiking. I'm pretty sure you have a good way to stay current with weather forecasts etc.., while on the trail. Winter storms can come up out of no where especially in the Smokies, that time of year. I really wonder what kind of winter we will have this year. The prediction is for a very snowy one. We'll see!! :) If mother nature works for you, this year, you could be hiking in a winter wonderland minus the wicked winter weather that she can sometimes throw at us. Good luck with your plans! :)

You had kids young!:banana

Rasty
11-29-2012, 10:54
is it going to rain in december? how much? one can't know these things no one predicted hurricane sandy more than a month out. you're asking an impossible question. my magic 8 ball, tea leaves, and chicken bones all say wait until you see a forecast for snow if thats what you want.

The chicken bones are supposed to be very accurate. You must not be shaking them correctly!:)

Gray Blazer
11-29-2012, 13:58

Yeah, but you live practically on the AT in that there Erwin.

Tipi Walter
11-29-2012, 14:11
Rasty, there's no real way to answer that question... If you want snow, try to be flexible and head out when it snows.

This is true. Listen to the Knoxville weather wee'tards and when they call for snow in the mountains you'll know it's time to hit the trail.

I really like hiking in cold weather. I'm almost done gearing up for winter hiking including lots of high quality down, microspikes, gaiters, good winter gloves, balaclava, an EVO pad to suppliment an air pad and a pair of Merrell winter hiking boots.

The plan is to start at Fontana and go north for a week. I'll adjust my Official plan depending on the conditions. I am flexible for a start date except for a trip to Arizona in mid January and Valentines day which is a mandatory work day. I just have to clear it with the bosses (Work & Home).

I haven't been snow camping in a long time.

You may have all the necessary gear, heck we all do, but what will you do when the ridge you're hiking on has 2 feet of snow with 3+ foot drifts? And then you encounter a section of trail blocked by snow-heavy rhododendron all leaning over onto the trail? Can you belly crawl with a heavy pack in the snow for a mile? Can you sit put for 7 days and wait for the trail to open without bailing?

Slo-go'en
11-29-2012, 14:28
And then you encounter a section of trail blocked by snow-heavy rhododendron all leaning over onto the trail?

Yep, that's the problem with the snow down south - it tends to be wet, heavy and sticks to everything. Great for making snow people and for snowball fights, not so good to hike through.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 15:17
This is true. Listen to the Knoxville weather wee'tards and when they call for snow in the mountains you'll know it's time to hit the trail.

You may have all the necessary gear, heck we all do, but what will you do when the ridge you're hiking on has 2 feet of snow with 3+ foot drifts? And then you encounter a section of trail blocked by snow-heavy rhododendron all leaning over onto the trail? Can you belly crawl with a heavy pack in the snow for a mile? Can you sit put for 7 days and wait for the trail to open without bailing?

I don't have to be anywhere fast. I'm 100% committed to being flexible. I'm planning for 7 days but would be prepared for an extra 4 with food, fuel and reading material. I really don't care if I only hike 8 miles or so. It should be fun either way.

ParkRat09
11-29-2012, 22:14
I've been hiking the SMokies for 8 years and I can tell you that to 'predict' snow would be an excercise in futility. I was on an overnight last November that was supposed to be sunny and 40 both days but turned into single digits and 6 inches of snow! However, you can be pretty sure that there will be lots of snow in January especially up near Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap. The Smokies will be a very difficult section when it's snowing and there is basically ONE place to bail if things get sketchy (Newfound Gap). So be careful!!!

Rasty
11-29-2012, 22:20
I've been hiking the SMokies for 8 years and I can tell you that to 'predict' snow would be an excercise in futility. I was on an overnight last November that was supposed to be sunny and 40 both days but turned into single digits and 6 inches of snow! However, you can be pretty sure that there will be lots of snow in January especially up near Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap. The Smokies will be a very difficult section when it's snowing and there is basically ONE place to bail if things get sketchy (Newfound Gap). So be careful!!!

I will. I'm just going to keep my plans open and make a decision at the last minute on when to go.

Tipi Walter
11-29-2012, 22:20

Or with a decent map a backpacker could get off the high ground and lose 3,000 feet on a side trail and find appreciably less snow in the valleys. It's something I had to do a couple years when a high ridge left me wiped out after taking 3 hours to go 1.5 miles and I fell off the mountain on the closest side trail I could find.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 22:25
Or with a decent map a backpacker could get off the high ground and lose 3,000 feet on a side trail and find appreciably less snow in the valleys. It's something I had to do a couple years when a high ridge left me wiped out after taking 3 hours to go 1.5 miles and I fell off the mountain on the closest side trail I could find.

Agree. You can drop down to the lakeshore trail and worse case scenario get a boat shuttle from the marina. I really twisted my knee two years ago and did just that. Best $50 I ever spent. I was hobbling at about a 1/4 mile per hour 20 miles from Fontana.

HikerMom58
11-29-2012, 23:05
I'm not quite old enough to be your mom... darn! *dancing banana*

Hill Ape
11-29-2012, 23:38
:banana let me help mom, i just learned how... and man is it fun!!

wornoutboots
11-29-2012, 23:44

I haven't been snow camping in a long time. The Smokies are amazing to hike through in the snow!! Especially with fireplaces inside of all the shelters!! If you don't mind carrying a little "more" Winter weight, take a few of those duroflame bricks & break one in half to start a fire each night. Have Fun!!!

Sapelo
11-30-2012, 07:24
Any recommendations on boots for such a trip? My Scarpa Invernos (Double plastic mt boots) are probably way overkill. I have a pair of older Lowa goretex boots. Would they work?

OzJacko
11-30-2012, 07:47
Given the amount of snow I get around here, I think I will take a zero or two and build snowmen when I encounter snow.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbuRGoxmtABWxR9W4xLJuobwiScRiVC VNIXM6y0sESbUuUsZCA

brotheral
11-30-2012, 07:53
:eek::banana
I'm not quite old enough to be your mom... darn! *dancing banana*

Tipi Walter
11-30-2012, 09:21
Any recommendations on boots for such a trip? My Scarpa Invernos (Double plastic mt boots) are probably way overkill. I have a pair of older Lowa goretex boots. Would they work?

The go-to winter boot I see most here in the Southeast are Asolo 520's, either goretex or not. Full leather seems to be the choice, along with a fairly deep lug pattern though nothing like the old lug boots of the 60's and 70's. The deeper the lug the more traction you have in snow and mud, duh.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Five-Miles-of-Living-Hell-on/i-kdg98RZ/0/L/TRIP%20107%20025-L.jpg (http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Five-Miles-of-Living-Hell-on/i-kdg98RZ/0/L/TRIP%20107%20025-L.jpg)
Here's a pic of the Asolos in action near the Rocky Flats trail in TN.

(http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Trip-72/i-45v4Pjc/0/L/Trip%2072%20120-L.jpg)http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Trip-72/i-45v4Pjc/0/L/Trip%2072%20120-L.jpg (http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Trip-72/i-45v4Pjc/0/L/Trip%2072%20120-L.jpg)
Another popular boot is the 520 cousin called the Asolo Fugitive. These part leather/part fabric boots are lighter than full leather but when wet and frozen the fabric shrinks up more and they can be a bear to get on in the morning. (I posted this pic on another recent whiteblaze post).

Rasty
11-30-2012, 10:14
Any recommendations on boots for such a trip? My Scarpa Invernos (Double plastic mt boots) are probably way overkill. I have a pair o older Lowa goretex boots. Would they work?

I just bought a pair of Merrell Norsehund Beta Mids. Heavy winter lugs, partial poly wrapped and leather. $130 at REI. Feels like a good pair of boots with 200grams of thermal insulation.

HikerMom58
11-30-2012, 10:19
Thanks guys... I already know how to do the:banana but I just wrote it on purpose to be:cool: or something... lol. Man, there's so much on here that I don't know how to do though... someone on here should give us a "tour" of this place. Wise Old Owl and the rest of the cafe gang are experts. They know how to do everything. :sun Hope you all have a great weekend. Rasty and the rest of the winter hikers are so :cool: or brave or ? Ha Ha!! Have fun out there! :)

Rasty
11-30-2012, 10:24
Or slightly bent?

HikerMom58
11-30-2012, 10:33
Or slightly bent?

No, not bent... just different & we admire you for it? Ha Ha!! I love to pick on you!! :)

WILLIAM HAYES
12-02-2012, 21:57
you can get snow into april in the smokies