PDA

View Full Version : Any 2013 Flip-Floppers?

snowrider1120
11-29-2012, 09:20
Hi all! I am starting a 2013 flip flop in May (hoping to go VA-ME, VA-GA)...Just wondering if anyone else was planning an alternative or non-traditional hike for this year and when/how they are planning to go. Would love to connect with anyone who is doing something a little different as well!
Peace

Sman
11-29-2012, 09:42
After reading about different hikes I am thinking-----

(Start in southern Connecticut late April, hike south, reaching Troutville, Virginia (Roanoke area) late June. Hike from Katahdin south, reaching southern Connecticut end of August/ early September. Hike from Troutville south, ending at Springer early November.) Ref: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Sugarfoot
11-29-2012, 11:31
I'll be starting in Georgia on April 28 and hiking to Harpers Ferry, then taking the train to Maine in early July and hiking south from Katahdin back to Harpers Ferry.

Hairbear
11-29-2012, 19:35
im planning on doing a double flip conn to harpers ferry back to main to conn then h ferry to springer.starting in june.

Hairbear
11-29-2012, 19:38
if anyone has any input, i would gladly listen.

Odd Man Out
11-29-2012, 21:10
If you haven't seen it yet, the ATC has a page with several alternative itineraries with the pros and cons of each.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

SawnieRobertson
11-29-2012, 21:14
You (above) are all thinking out of the box, and I think that is a good place to be. Hot weather and mosquitoes are best avoided as much as possible.

Sugarfoot
11-30-2012, 08:05
Oh, yes, Ms Sawnie, I so agree. I have hiked New Jersey in July before, with 98 degrees temps and equal humidity. I hammocked that year and dreamed I was tied off to a honey tree, the mosquitoes were so loud. My plan has me enjoying the peak of the spring wildflowers in the deep south and then the azaleas and rhododendrons in Virginia in June, northern New England in July/August and crossing into Massachusetts around Labor Day to hike south with Fall. Minimal chance of snow and beastly heat!

snowrider1120
11-30-2012, 10:03
Sugarfoot that sounds like a lovely plan! I live in PA and I know how suffocating the humidity can be here in the middle of summer! However, I would prefer the heat over the cold, as my tolerance for cold temps is pretty low. Therefore, I'm hoping that my May start will allow me to avoid the bitter cold of the Feb/March months! I know some people frown upon the non-traditional thru-hike, but I am doing what will give me the best chance of completion- 1) starting in milder weather, 2) starting in milder terrain, 3) not having to "race" to maine, and 4) following the mild weather south. Plus, hiking south in the fall foliage? Yes please!!

SawnieRobertson
11-30-2012, 19:15
To all of the above, WE IS SO SMART! And think how many more of the 2013-ers we will meet than those who simply hike NOBO or SOBO. We do both. I hope to meet each of you somewhere along the trail.--Kinnickinic

kombiguy
11-30-2012, 20:35
I'll probably wind up doing GA to Harpers Ferry, then ME to Harpers Ferry. I plan on doing RAGBRAI in late July, so I'll have to break it up.

About_Time
12-02-2012, 14:45
I'll probably wind up doing GA to Harpers Ferry, then ME to Harpers Ferry. I plan on doing RAGBRAI in late July, so I'll have to break it up.

I've done the RAGBRAI before. The food part would definitely appeal to someone in mid-AT thru hike mode, but I can't imagine trying to do it after not being on a bike at all for about three months. Your body will be transformed by the hike and you'll be in great shape, but long distance cycling uses your muscles very differently.

Unless you've got a string of RAGRAIs that you're trying to extend, you may want to consider just sticking to the AT for 2013. You'll be suffering after RABRAI (based on being out of cycling shape) and then trying to do Katahdin, followed up by the hardest 4-6 weeks of hiking on the trail is likely to result in an injury.

R1TenderFoot
12-02-2012, 15:43
We are planning our flip flop in 2014. Start Roanoke late April/early May headed north to Katahdin, then fly back to Roanoke and head south. Want to miss the snow and cold plus the packed shelters at the south end, and get the enjoyment of "summiting" at both Katahdin and Springer. Plus we live not far from Springer so friends and family can join us when we finish.

I've only hiked with NOBOs until this year; this year met a number of SOBOs both close to Harpers Ferry and Unicoi Gap. A couple of them noted they ran into a number of NOBOs that were vegeterians, but all the SOBOs they knew were meat lovers. Anyway, thought that was interesting. I guess I've got SOBO blood in me!

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 09:26
If you haven't seen it yet, the ATC has a page with several alternative itineraries with the pros and cons of each.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-startmy plans are close to the cool breeze hike.i cant leave until my son graduates,so last week oh may to june 5 would be the soonest i can leave.will some of you more experienced a t hikers help with how much change from the cool breeze hike described here to compensate for 1 month later start.thanks ahead of time.

Spark2Fire
12-03-2012, 14:05
Yes! I am flip-flopping in 2013 as well! Starting out of Damascus from Trail Days going NoBo and then returning there after I summit in ME to go south and summit Springer!

kombiguy
12-11-2012, 10:37
All true. I do have friends and family doing RAGBRAI this year and would like to join them. Besides, even with the increased risk of injury and discomfort, it will make for a heck of an adventure summer!

I've done the RAGBRAI before. The food part would definitely appeal to someone in mid-AT thru hike mode, but I can't imagine trying to do it after not being on a bike at all for about three months. Your body will be transformed by the hike and you'll be in great shape, but long distance cycling uses your muscles very differently.

Unless you've got a string of RAGRAIs that you're trying to extend, you may want to consider just sticking to the AT for 2013. You'll be suffering after RABRAI (based on being out of cycling shape) and then trying to do Katahdin, followed up by the hardest 4-6 weeks of hiking on the trail is likely to result in an injury.

NiaPia
12-19-2012, 00:32
I plan on hiking from Harper's Ferry, WV to Maine starting in May sometime. I would love to find a hiking partner :) And it looks like we're neighbors...I live in Pittsburgh. I'm definitely up for a different starting point. Im just trying to finish in Maine by mid August (and that includes a one week hiatus in June).

Hairbear
12-19-2012, 10:24
im planning on doing a double flip conn to harpers ferry back to main to conn then h ferry to springer.starting in june. ive chaged my mind on the double flip ,im heading pawling north to maine,then back to pawling ,then sobo to springer.the cookerhiker run thanks to his input.

Hairbear
12-19-2012, 10:30
it seems to me that i would have a chance to meet almost everyone on the class of 13.

Spark2Fire
12-19-2012, 12:59
Hi I am doing a flip-flop starting in May and headed Northbound. I am departing after the Trail Days Festival in Damascus. After I summit Katahdin, then I will be going back down to Damascus to walk Southbound and finish at Springer. Spark2Fire

snowrider1120
12-20-2012, 15:47
Spark2Fire and NiaPia, sounds like we have very similar routes! Hopefully we'll run into each other on the trail!
Everyone, how do you feel that this alternative approach to hiking affects your prep? I haven't quite ironed out some of the transportation issues and logistics...Any tips?