PDA

View Full Version : extreme ultra light packs

neo
05-21-2005, 18:13
just wanted to hear from other ultra light hikers on their choice of extreme packs under 12 oz capeable of long distance hikes,mine wieghed 10.2 oz
on the postal scale from the manufactor,9.2 oz after i removed hip belt. i cut off unecessicery lenght of straps
going to have extension collar shortened 5 inches to.my pack is the fanatic fringe thompson peak:cool: neo

ps.my pack is 1 oz lighter than advertised,the color of my pack lighter material

http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page5.html

JonBusta
05-22-2005, 01:19
I use a kitchen trash bag doubled up (Hefty brand) rigged to some straps from an old pack, total weight is just under 5 ounces. I could probably go lighter and save an ounce or so by going to a single bag but would lose some durability. I get about 25 of these packs for under $5, each one lasting about a week out backpacking before stretching out and tearing.

Hammock Hanger
05-22-2005, 06:17
I use a kitchen trash bag doubled up (Hefty brand) rigged to some straps from an old pack, total weight is just under 5 ounces. I could probably go lighter and save an ounce or so by going to a single bag but would lose some durability. I get about 25 of these packs for under $5, each one lasting about a week out backpacking before stretching out and tearing.
Ya know if you guys really wanted to lighten the load you could use the "Strapolounger". The pack is a hammock or shelter pad that folds up into a pack. Now instead of the pack JUST carrying the gear it can be used as a pad in the shelter or as a hammock. Now that is being creative and useful.:clap

http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/index.html

Sue/HH

peter_pan
05-22-2005, 08:13
Neo, et al.

Picked up Gossimer Gear G6 Whisper at Trail Days...Stock it is 3.7 oz including pads for the straps....I added two 12x5 pockets on the back so that my 12x 20 sit pad would become the removable frame....Total pack weight is now 3.9 oz.... Very nice rig...comfortabe too...extremely wide load spreading straps.

Pan

SGT Rock
05-22-2005, 09:25
Pan,

What do you think of the material the G6 is made from? Playing with mine I have concerns about long term use for someone like a thru-hiker.

astrogirl
05-22-2005, 11:38
I hiked from Erwin to Damascus with my G5, not a thru-hiker type distance, but here's what I think anyway. :)

I hiked with it at home for a few months first. I took it out in the rain, and it leaked like mad. I seam-sealed it and carried a silinylon cover. The trashbag inside the pack thing just doesn't do it for me. I don't know why, but I don't like it. My down bag lives in a silinylon sack, as do my clothes, and nothing got wet on the trip.

Anyway, it does seem pretty delicate for a thruhiker. You CANNOT overload it, and once in a while, a thruhiker is going to need to do that if they are walking out with more food than usual. It's got to be 20lbs or under or the stitching looks stretched on the straps and on some parts of the bag.

You cannot put it down on something thorny or rocky. Ever.

You'd have to really baby it and then probably replace it at Harper's Ferry. The bag carried beautifully at a total weight of under 20 lbs. and gave me not ONE bit of trouble, but I ain't no thruhiker, now am I? I did average 17+ miles per day, and I really love the pack and will use it as long as I possibly can.

-Astrogirl.

flyfisher
05-22-2005, 12:59
just wanted to hear from other ultra light hikers on their choice of extreme packs under 12 oz capeable of long distance hikes,mine wieghed 10.2 oz
on the postal scale from the manufactor,9.2 oz after i removed hip belt. i cut off unecessicery lenght of straps
going to have extension collar shortened 5 inches to.my pack is the fanatic fringe thompson peak:cool: neo

ps.my pack is 1 oz lighter than advertised,the color of my pack lighter material

http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page5.html
I also use the Thompson Peak pack. I received the one without the hipbelt. It is light, comfortable, and I have walked several hundred miles with it on extended (2 week) AT hikes.

Great pack. I don't see enough of them on the trail.

peter_pan
05-22-2005, 18:19
Pan,

What do you think of the material the G6 is made from? Playing with mine I have concerns about long term use for someone like a thru-hiker.

Rock,

It is a thin material for sure....I used a tarp of that material for several trips with good results....retired it as: one, too noisy and two' not as waterproof as 1.1...Spin nyl, is generally advertised as 0-3 porosity ( means waterproof up to 3 lbs psi...leaks if an inch or so deep puddle is allowed to form)...

My plan is to use The G6 for weekend and sections....if it holds up then possibly longer sections ( multi month)....this pack will definately get babied...the extra pockets I added that accomodate my butt pad as a back/frame will give me a more durable back to put the pack down on....I expect to get good service from the G6....but then I'm easy on gear, never sit on my pack, never put it down hard...since it is way narrower and shorter than my torso ( not above my shoulders) I don't expect trail snags to be much issue...

But then I have about a thousand miles and 75 days of daily wear on my O2 Rainwear as my only jacket....Still going strong...but with a perminent funk...This is also fragile...a bilaminated Microporous polypropylene...

Going ultra light and approaching super ultralight involves trade offs....one is giving up "wears like iron" and heavier fabrics with redundant "bomber" designs....like trail runners...an item like this might be planned for replacement ( Have a spare at home to be mailed if needed)...or just used with summer loads from north of Mt Rogers to VT or NH...Probably best in the hands of the experienced vs novice hiker...

Pan

neo
05-22-2005, 19:35
I also use the Thompson Peak pack. I received the one without the hipbelt. It is light, comfortable, and I have walked several hundred miles with it on extended (2 week) AT hikes.

Great pack. I don't see enough of them on the trail.

i checked out your website,wow what a really cool website:cool: neo

neo
05-22-2005, 19:37
Neo, et al.

Picked up Gossimer Gear G6 Whisper at Trail Days...Stock it is 3.7 oz including pads for the straps....I added two 12x5 pockets on the back so that my 12x 20 sit pad would become the removable frame....Total pack weight is now 3.9 oz.... Very nice rig...comfortabe too...extremely wide load spreading straps.

Pan
do ya have a picture of your pack after you added the pockets to it jack
:cool: neo

The Solemates
05-23-2005, 08:50
I had thought about getting a Thompson Pack, but after looking at it at Trail Days there is no way. I guess Im hard on packs or something, but I dont think that pack would last more than a month or so. Saving weight only is advantageous if you can do so without compromising durability in my book. when I buy something, I want it to last because I do a lot of hiking.

tlbj6142
05-23-2005, 10:28
Fiddle factor, while doesn't weigh anything, can add a bit of frustration to a hike. Espeically a longer hike. Having to baby gear, do 5 extra steps to save 6 oz, etc. does become a factor that is not often talked about in UL circles. Sometimes, simple "weighs" less on the mind than on the back.