PDA

View Full Version : Which size MSR Dromedary bag?

alxflwrs
11-29-2012, 12:58
Should I get only one 6L?
Or two 4L?
Or a 6L and a 2L.
I might get the 64 oz Kleen Kanteen for my thru, cause thats a lot of water to have accessible.
The 2L MSR black bag doesn't even really seem worth it. 2L isn't that much. The 10L would be overkill on the trail right?

alxflwrs
11-29-2012, 12:59
I am leaning most towards the 6L in my pack in case theres a longish stint without water, and the 4L be my main bag for daily use.
Overkill still?

AllTheWayToMordor
11-29-2012, 13:07
I'm only bringing one 4L bag. Word on the street is that water is readily available. You in no way will need both, even on the Colorado Trail my 6L bag was overkill. I imagine you will only be carrying 2L of water or less ant any given time and then will want 3-4L in camp.

CarlZ993
11-29-2012, 14:25
MSR Dromedary bags are really heavy for their volume. I'd take 2L Platypus containers for the amount of water you think you might need. Two 1-L bottles (i.e. Aquafina bottles) & two, 2-L Platypus containers would only set you back about 5.4 oz. Six liters should be more than enough for AT hiking. You might need a little more if you're in the desert.

Sugarfoot
11-29-2012, 15:15
I carry a 2-L MSR Drom-Lite with hose, which is almost all I ever need. I carry a 2-L Platypus bottle, which rolls up real small, for those times when I want to carry extra water into a dry campsite or for those real hot, dry days.

prain4u
11-29-2012, 16:40
I have a one liter bottle in each of the two outside pockets of my pack. I then have a 4 liter MSR Dromedary in my pack. It is usually empty until I am at camp--or unless I will be hiking in a dry area. I THINK THAT I GENERALLY HAVE OVERKILL ON WATER CAPACITY. So, for me, a 6 liter MSR Dromedary seems like EXTREME overkill. (You are not walking through a desert area of the PCT).

I agree that the DROMEDARY is heavier than the Platypus. HOWEVER, it is my OPINION that the MSR Dromedary is more durable and less prone to leak/puncture/rupture than the Platypus. (Your experience may vary).

AllTheWayToMordor
11-29-2012, 16:42
Plus, the Dromedaries double as great pillows.

prain4u
11-29-2012, 17:06
Remember--water weighs 2.25 lbs. per liter. Why in the world would you want to carry 13.5-18.0 pounds of water--unless you absolutely had to at a "dry camp"? (This is especially on the AT where the water is fairly abundant and water sources are generally located not too far apart). HELPFUL HINT: When you are at water sources--"camel up" (i.e. drink your fill of water WHILE AT THE WATER source). That will help you to have enough water intake to ward off dehydration--but will lessen the amount of water that you actually must carry in (or on) your pack at any one time. HELPFUL HINT # 2: CARRY less water--but RESUPPLY your water one or more times during the hiking day as you pass near water sources (and also "camel up" while you are there too). There is rarely a need to carry a full day water supply with you. (Personally, I rarely carry more than 2 liters of water at a time. Many people will carry only 1 liter at a time).