PDA

View Full Version : Planning Rockfish Gap to as far north as possible - Section Hike

trailwobbles
11-29-2012, 15:56
Planning a 14-20 day 202 mile hike from RockFish Gap to the Mason-Dixon line (or as far as we can get). We were going to leave in June or july... (depends on approved leave from work).

I'm calling for just some general advice. We are getting as "in shape" as possible, and we understand we may not finish our goal as I'm not sure if we can average 15 mile days w/ a few 0 days.

I am planning for it to be ridiculously hot durring the day, bugs everywhere, etc, but what are the nights like? Are we going to need any warmer clothing?

Is there anywhere we have to stop? Any places we just have to stay for the night?

Plus just anything else we should take heed of? Thanks a bunch.

Cookerhiker
11-29-2012, 16:12
Only if you leave Rockfish Gap around June 1 will you even have to think about warmer clothing for nights, and even then it's highly unlikely you'll need anything. All I'd bring would be an extra short-sleeved shirt to sleep in and a light rain coat.

Upon leaving Shenandoah NP, you're in low elevation the rest of the way. The heat will be oppressive and the nights suffocating with humidity, especially in July. Because of the long daylight hours, you should be able to make your 15 mpd even allowing for slowing your pace in the heat of the mid-day.

You may enjoy taking a day off in Harpers Ferry and arranging for a float trip on the Potomac or Shenandoah with River and Trails Outfitters (http://www.rivertrail.com/index.php).

burger
11-29-2012, 17:32
I did 900 miles NOBO starting from Rockfish Gap on June 10th a few years ago. I started with t-shirt, shorts, rain pants, rain jacket, and spare t-shirt and shorts. I sent the rain pants home at the first PO and did not need more clothing until I got to VT. I had zero bugs until I got to New Jersey. The later you start, the more bugs you'll likely have. A wet spring would mean more bugs, too.

Shenandoah was great--scenic with lots of food and wildlife. I liked the Bears Den, too. Annapolis Rocks (just uphill from the B&O Canal) has a great view. Otherwise, the section you're doing is not exciting, but it is fairly easy.

johnnybgood
11-29-2012, 18:03
Depending on when you decide to leave , June 1 or mid July, the variance on the weather in that six weeks is substanial. The bug issue likely will be the same regardless. Definitely better to go early June as the Mountain Laurel will be in bloom along the trail as well as Rhododendron and Trillium.

Be on the alert for black bear while hiking Shenandoah Nat'l Park, as the park has a reputation for making first timers marvel at having seen one so close. The waysides will offer a nice respite from a long day's walk in the heat with the Blackberry Shakes being popular .

Bears Den Hostel is a must stop over near Snickers Gap as well as Harpers Ferry, a mere twenty miles away.