PDA

View Full Version : In 2012, what was the coldest night on your thru (March/NOBO)?

SCGamecock
11-29-2012, 20:31
Oh..... and any tips at resupplying toilet paper would be appreciated :)

Pedaling Fool
11-29-2012, 20:42
Are you planning on hiking this year (2013) and want to get a feel for temps to expect? Then 2012 is probably not a good way to guage that since it was such a mild year; this year is already much cooler than last year, so I'd expect it to be much colder. You're almost guaranteed to see some snow and some really cold nights, but I'm sure you'll also see some really nice/mild day temps. Expect to have frozen water bottles in the morning.

As for TP, I always got with a few other hikers and bought a pack of TP at a dollar store and divvy up.

SCRUB HIKER
11-29-2012, 22:28
Pry the cardboard tube out of the center and squish the roll down. It packs better that way. It's hard to find TP in packs of less than four rolls. Usually when I bought TP I left the other rolls at whatever hostel I was at in town as a thank-you (it was usually the nice stuff, spending the extra dime to prevent chafing down the road).

Some people exclusively take free toilet paper from bathrooms in town at chain restaurants, or at road crossings/parking lots, but that's not how I roll (!!!)

Bronk
11-30-2012, 02:49
We had snow just outside Pearisburg, VA on May 21, 2002. Don't be in too big of a hurry to get rid of your winter clothing.

RED-DOG
11-30-2012, 13:00
My coldest night on my Thru-Hike in 2012 was at Spence Field Shelter in the GSMNP, on( February 29th) it was in the single didgits, my water bottles was frozen solid the next morning, but you can expect to have a lot colder temps in the GSMNP, but my absolute coldest night on any of my Thru-Hikes was in 2006 at Double Springs Shelter it was 15- below and everything was frozen the next morning including my boots, waterbottles, water filter, stove, food bag since i had it hanging on the bear cables, and that was with 3 feet of snow with 4-5 foot snow drifts and it was froze too, as for T.P i useally snagged it from a Hostel or Hotel room, some times i would find it in the hiker boxes, but my last resort was buying it, a lot of the privies on the AT would have a roll and i would take a little bit from that. I hope this helps you out and happy Hiking. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

SCGamecock
11-30-2012, 13:53
My coldest night on my Thru-Hike in 2012 was at Spence Field Shelter in the GSMNP, on( February 29th) it was in the single didgits, my water bottles was frozen solid the next morning, but you can expect to have a lot colder temps in the GSMNP, but my absolute coldest night on any of my Thru-Hikes was in 2006 at Double Springs Shelter it was 15- below and everything was frozen the next morning including my boots, waterbottles, water filter, stove, food bag since i had it hanging on the bear cables, and that was with 3 feet of snow with 4-5 foot snow drifts and it was froze too, as for T.P i useally snagged it from a Hostel or Hotel room, some times i would find it in the hiker boxes, but my last resort was buying it, a lot of the privies on the AT would have a roll and i would take a little bit from that. I hope this helps you out and happy Hiking. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

I'm hoping I don't have temperatures that cold. That is cold.

brooklynkayak
11-30-2012, 19:19
TP Options:
Fast food restaurant napkins work great. I ask for extras when I eat in town. Carma is better when you ask and people are usually cool about it if you buy a lot of food.
A thru-hiker can eat a lot and if they think you are buying for four people, they can understand why the extra napkins:-)
Newspaper, trash, paper bags gathered in town works and of course if you study the various methods on the internet, you don't need TP:-)

Deacon
11-30-2012, 20:25
Oh..... and any tips at resupplying toilet paper would be appreciated :)

Ok I'm being serious here.

Last August I ran out of toilet paper on the trail in Vermont. I substituted the large leaf plant that grows right along side of the trail. I knew I was taking a chance, not knowing how it would react with my skin, but hey, if you're desperate....
This leaf is about the same size as a sheet of TP, that's why I chose it. I was pleasantly surprised at how soothing it was- like applying lotion.
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=32553

jeffmeh
12-01-2012, 19:00
Ok I'm being serious here.

Last August I ran out of toilet paper on the trail in Vermont. I substituted the large leaf plant that grows right along side of the trail. I knew I was taking a chance, not knowing how it would react with my skin, but hey, if you're desperate....
This leaf is about the same size as a sheet of TP, that's why I chose it. I was pleasantly surprised at how soothing it was- like applying lotion.
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=32553

Yep, we call that Moose Maple and it will definitely work. I prefer American Basswood myself. http://0.tqn.com/d/forestry/1/0/S/A/wbass.jpg