PDA

View Full Version : Lining of Jacket Cracking?

Cro-Mag
11-29-2012, 20:48
Does anyone know what causes this "cracking" in the lining of jackets? I have had a Mountain Hardwear and a Northface jacket do the same thing. It always happens around the hood. The picture is of a Northface jacket that I have only worn a half dozen times. It has never been washed or dried.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

melaniebk
11-29-2012, 21:34
Just a thought: were you carrying a pack while you were wearing it? Because it looks as if something (possibly with rough edges) was putting pressure on it.

Cro-Mag
11-29-2012, 22:09
Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your reply. I have not worn it while wearing my pack, only running around town while it was raining.

When I do pack it, I roll it up and stuff it in an open space. Maybe this has something to do with it, or maybe it is just the quality of the material.

Thanks.

JJJ
11-29-2012, 22:40
Looks like the same material in Patagonia's Torrent shell. Mine is cracking about the collar as well.
It has seen a few miles, but seems to be wearing pre-maturely.
It's still the best jacket I've ever bought.

Don H
11-30-2012, 08:27
I don't know about Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear but North Face was real good about repairing a pair of their Paramount Convertible pants for me.
Contact the companies and see if they will cover these items under warranty.

Cro-Mag
11-30-2012, 10:55
Thank you for all your replies. I will contact North Face and see what they say.

Thanks again.

konradchen
01-08-2013, 16:57
hmm could be UV degradation but it doesn't seem like you had it exposed to the sun either. Delamination is kind of a natural process when it comes to coats outdoor fabrics, but I'm a but surprised that your's did it so quickly. It generally takes a couple of years before the coatings break down on their own. They should definitely warranty this given it's little use.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2013, 17:07
I have a Patagonia jacket doing the same thing around the neck of the hood. I figured it was a common problem with coated fabrics. The hood gets flexed a lot, so makes sense that's where it would start to de-laminate.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a gortex jacket shell (on sale) which doesn't have the delaminating problem and actually breaths a lot better.

Chaco Taco
01-12-2013, 21:51
seam seal it or some sort of sealent.