PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some suggestions on my thru-hike gear

EriKelly
11-29-2012, 23:55
hello i am new to hiking somewhat. I am spoiled and live in NH and recently discovered the beauty in my back yard. Im planning to head sobo in march and have been trying to get my gear in order. I can give links of any items you may be interested in or can take some advice on what iv got in mind. Next weekend I am putting in the order for most of this stuff so this is my pre shakedown. I haven't sorted through the clothes i have and need quite yet depends on how much my pack will add up to when im done here.

(pack) SMD SWIFT - 15

(SHELTER) - 21.5
gatewood cape - 11.0
serenity net tent - 8
stakes - 2.5

(sleep system) - 60
kelty Down 20 degree bag - 41
compression sack - 2.5
nylon mummy liner - 4.5
zlite accordian style - 10
tyvek - 2

(cook system) - 9.9
Water bucket - 2.8
alcohol stove - 1
wind screen - 1.6
cooking mug 1.25 qt - 3
spork - .4
pot coozy - 1.1

(WATER FILTRATION) - 9
(2) 2 liter playpus - 2.6
(2) gatorade bottles - 4.0
aqua mira - 2.4

(hygiene) - 6.5
scrub pad + TP - 1.5
med kit - 1
insect repellent - 2.5
tooth brush / paste / floss - 1.5

(Electronics) - 26
iphone + charger - 6
extra iphone battery - 6
camera - 8
headlamp - 2
spare AAA's - 2
spare AA's - 2

(misc) - 68.05
leki shock poles - 20
at guide book - 8.8
skeletoes - 30
sunglasses - 1.5
credit cards id wallet - 5
nylon bandana - 1
earplugs - .25
20' line - .5
journal/pen - 2

(overall) - 215 or 13.5 poundshello i am new to hiking somewhat. I am spoiled and live in NH and recently discovered the beauty in my back yard. Im planning to head sobo in march and have been trying to get my gear in order. I can give links of any items you may be interested in or can take some advice on what iv got in mind. Next weekend I am putting in the order for most of this stuff so this is my pre shakedown. I haven't sorted through the clothes i have and need quite yet depends on how much my pack will add up to when im done here.

(pack) SMD SWIFT - 15

(SHELTER) - 21.5
gatewood cape - 11.0
serenity net tent - 8
stakes - 2.5

(sleep system) - 60
kelty Down 20 degree bag - 41
compression sack - 2.5
nylon mummy liner - 4.5
zlite accordian style - 10
tyvek - 2

(cook system) - 9.9
Water bucket - 2.8
alcohol stove - 1
wind screen - 1.6
cooking mug 1.25 qt - 3
spork - .4
pot coozy - 1.1

(WATER FILTRATION) - 9
(2) 2 liter playpus - 2.6
(2) gatorade bottles - 4.0
aqua mira - 2.4

(hygiene) - 6.5
scrub pad + TP - 1.5
med kit - 1
insect repellent - 2.5
tooth brush / paste / floss - 1.5

(Electronics) - 26
iphone + charger - 6
extra iphone battery - 6
camera - 8
headlamp - 2
spare AAA's - 2
spare AA's - 2

(misc) - 68.05
leki shock poles - 20
at guide book - 8.8
skeletoes - 30
sunglasses - 1.5
credit cards id wallet - 5
nylon bandana - 1
earplugs - .25
20' line - .5
journal/pen - 2

(overall) - 215 or 13.5 pounds

EriKelly
11-29-2012, 23:58
and apparently i pasted this twice and i dont know how to edit it lol

Odd Man Out
11-30-2012, 01:15
Kind of a minimal shelter for someone who is new to hiking. Hope you are comfortable with that choice.
You could save some weight with a more expensive bag, if that is within your budget.
Pot might be bigger than necessary for a solo.
You won't need that much water capacity. 2 L should be enough. Ditch the water bucket. How about 1 bottle and one Platypus (1 L).
Don't need sunglasses.
If the rope is for bear bagging, 20` is not enough.
Always wear a hat.
Are those shoes for hiking???

EriKelly
11-30-2012, 02:14
Kind of a minimal shelter for someone who is new to hiking. Hope you are comfortable with that choice.
You could save some weight with a more expensive bag, if that is within your budget.
Pot might be bigger than necessary for a solo.
You won't need that much water capacity. 2 L should be enough. Ditch the water bucket. How about 1 bottle and one Platypus (1 L).
Don't need sunglasses.
If the rope is for bear bagging, 20` is not enough.
Always wear a hat.
Are those shoes for hiking???

no those are for camp shoes and water crossings. i have addidas trail runners with super feet. i actually enjoy the shelter but the pack is what i cant seem to decide on. so 1liter platypus and 1 gatorade bottle is enough? How much cord for bear bagging? and the hat is under clothes

Left Hand
11-30-2012, 10:26
I am hoping you meant NOBO in March. Looks like a pretty good start. Jumping in on the previous post, if you are hanging food I would recommend at least 50' of cordage. And if you are watching your pack weight, you won't need the insect repellent to start off.

Also, what is the rating for your sleeping bag and liner?

Odd Man Out
11-30-2012, 11:51
no those are for camp shoes and water crossings. i have addidas trail runners with super feet. i actually enjoy the shelter but the pack is what i cant seem to decide on. so 1liter platypus and 1 gatorade bottle is enough? How much cord for bear bagging? and the hat is under clothes

There have been several threads about how much water to carry. It of course depends a lot on when you hike, where you hike, and your preferences. Some people like hydration systems and some don't. But for AT thru hikers, it seems 2 L is a common capacity.

The hat is for your head :rolleyes: I know you haven't done your clothing list yet, but I just find that I always wear a hat when I am out and about. It keeps you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot. It keeps the sun and bugs off your face. A warmer hat or balaclava may be necessary if you are expecting really cold weather, but an all purpose sun hat works wonders about 95% of the times. My personal preference.

Praha4
11-30-2012, 12:14
southbound or northbound in March?

for a first time hiker, I think your gear is way too Ultralight. Get out now and start doing some overnighters to test all that gear. A hike has to find out for himself what works and what doesnt' work for him. Nobody here on WB can tell u that. good luck

EriKelly
11-30-2012, 14:03
I did quite a few 4000 footers and some 5000 in winter last year with a heavy military backpack cold cheap bag that weighed 6 pounds rated 40 degrees and my 6 pound barely 2 person tent. 8 inch knife etc... Love love love hiking but iv slowly found my way toward the lighter gear over the last year and a half. Bag is rated 20 degrees and down I have a nylon cacoon liner if mt Washington in -5 degrees in a 40 degree back was ok I think I can service springer on that aspect. I'm just feeling like I'm forgetting something. Cold weather clothes I have...

EriKelly
11-30-2012, 14:13
I snowboarded in the white mountains for 13 years I have more hats than I know what to do with! Balaclavas thermals etc...I have a somewhat mildy heavy leather cowboy hat I was debating on wearing as my luxury item. Atleast for the summer anyway :-D I have a bladder that I love but I never use it because there's so much water when I hike around here... Hmmmm I'm kind of allergic to big bites they swell more than anyone else and more bugs tend to swarm me than others. If there aren't any ill take your advice.

BrianLe
12-01-2012, 13:24
You won’t need the net tent starting in March; mail it to yourself somewhere along the way later. Okay, that said, you do want something on the ground in lieu of the net tent, but a little polycro is fine (ah, I see later you’re going with tyvek). With experience in using a floorless tent in bad weather …

Caveat there; I started NOBO in late Feb with a Gatewood Cape and swapped it out due to blowdowns. Early season there were a whole lot of blowdowns my year, and I didn’t like the idea of possibly ripping a loose poncho in blowdowns that was not only my only raingear but also my only shelter (tent).

Are you really planning a SOBO in March? I have no idea when the earliest practical time is to start that direction, but if you really are somewhat new to hiking that strikes me as a pretty early SOBO start.
20F bag might be okay in March if it’s a decent bag (Kelty??), and you have some solid puffy clothing to wear inside the bag to augment. And you have a decent pad to sleep on; I question whether just a zlite is enough. Again, if really SOBO then I just don’t know (!).

I wouldn’t bother with the mummy liner. When you’re in lots of clothing the last thing you want in your bag is something to tangle up in, something that doesn’t add much warmth for the weight. With discretionary ounces to throw at the problem, get a warmer bag, for that time of year at least.

Compression sacks are evil. Just say no. If you can’t fit your bag in a conventional stuff sack in your pack, consider a higher volume pack.

Water bucket: for washing or hauling drinking water? The latter is a good idea, but a bucket will slosh going up and down steep stretches.

I suggest that you create a complete list and then post again. By “complete”, I mean look at other people’s (complete) lists --- and note that I find most of them are not --- and address absolutely everything that you plan to carry. Getting you to a more accurate/true base weight. So include things like, say, clothing. And then more detailed stuff, like toilet paper, fuel bottle, etc etc.
Until then I don’t think it’s too meaningful to list baseweight (or skinout or whatever).

And definitely, definitely clarify whether you plan to start your trip by climbing Katahdin in March and hiking south. I finished my NOBO trip in July and I wasn't seeing SOBO's until quite late in the trip, suggesting to me that a March start at a SOBO is very very aggressive. The Whites were hard enough without snow to deal with!

hikerboy57
12-01-2012, 13:35
Yiu cant clumb katahdun in march without special permission from the Rangers.'

hikerboy57
12-01-2012, 13:39
I don't see an ice axe or crampons on your gear list. so can we just assume that you meant nobo?

EriKelly
12-02-2012, 01:53
yesyes nobo!!! nobo!!! thanks for the tip on the mummy liner! im working out a new possible tent altogether after all teh comments iv gotten over my gatewood. although i hike the whites all the time in the winter seeing as how i live here... lol.

EriKelly
12-08-2012, 06:36
updated list

PACK

SMD SWIFT

wing belt

SHELTER

tarptent.com

stakes

SLEEP SYSTEM

bag

zlite

COOK SYSTEM

alcohol stove

windscreen

gsi

spork

WATER

1 liter platypus

(1) gatorade bottle

aqua mira

HYGIENE

scrub pad + tp

med kit

tooth brush/paste/floss

ELECTRONICS

BB torch / charger

headlamp

spare batteries

battery for phone

headphones/ipodnano

(MISC)

dry sacks

black diamond

AT guide book

credit card ID Cash

nylon bandana

earplugs

50' nylon rope

journal/pen

lighter

garbage bags

knife

CLOTHES

DRI DUCKS

hat

down jacket

(2) wigwam socks

wicking thermal top

wicking thermal underwear

acrylic hat

fleece vest

t-shirt

wool fingerless mittens

(flip flops)

toes socks

balaclava

(summer)
(winter)

Spirit Walker
12-08-2012, 15:59
Having a large capacity water container is actually a really good idea for the AT. During the day, you will only need to carry 1-2 liters, but many of the springs are off trail, in some cases 1/4 - 1/2 mile, usually downhill. At some shelters the water is a good distance away. It is very nice to be able to go to the spring for water only once, bringing back enough for the night and morning. It is also nice when you want to wash up in the evening to have a large capacity container you can take into the woods. I used a very lightweight 1 gallon water bag - REI sometimes sells them or you can use a 1 gal. wine bag.