PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Pack vs. ULA pack

TheBigHiker
11-30-2012, 03:57
I'm headed down to the Portland, OR area tomorrow and going to check out the GoLite store just south of there. I wondered if anyone has any experience with the GoLite ultralight packs. Can anyone give me any info on them? The reviews I've seen are good to great, but I wonder about access and whatnot.

Thanks

moytoy
11-30-2012, 06:20
I have a golite jam (the original) which is what they call the jam 50 L now I think. Top loader with roll down top with a nice big rear pocket for things you need to get to fast. Side pockets that a 32 oz gatoraid bottle fits in. I carry about 22 lbs in mine and it carries pretty good for a pack without a frame. I'm a external frame guy so I'll probably never say it is great but I enjoy it when I'm packing light. I don't have a ULA pack but I'm not sure it's fair to try to compare these two packs. GoLite is an import while ULA is more like a custom made pack made in the US of A.

Turk6177
11-30-2012, 10:18
I have a ULA Catalyst that I have used on the AT. It was very comfortable and light. I would highly recommend it. That being said, I have never had or even tried on a GoLite Pack. Sometimes there is not a "better" when both are very good.

gearfreak
11-30-2012, 10:26
I have used both the ULA Circuit and Catalyst and now use the GoLite Pinnacle, which I happen to prefer. The suspension on the ULA packs is better, but for my max load of 25lbs., the GoLite still carries very well.

Malto
11-30-2012, 10:33
I love my OLD Jam that used to carry. The newer ones have too many bells and whistles. If I were looking for a larger pack in that size range I would also look at Mountain Laurel Designs. They will cost a bit more than an imported Jam but it gives you a lighter pack with the same function.

nitewalker
11-30-2012, 10:37
i have never used a pack made by ULA but i do love my golite jam[85.00$$ shiped] for a third of the price. the jam carries great if you pack it proprly and do not overload it[28lb or more] for "extended" periods..thus being said: to each their own or whats for one may not be good for another. you get the drift, good luck!!!

TEXMAN
11-30-2012, 11:01
I stated a thru hike with a GoLite in 2009 and I replaced it with a Gregory by the end of Virginia ...
I liked the GoLite but I never got down to the smaller load it was designed for so I wore out some of the seams and I sent it back to the factory to be repaired....Bottom line ....don't use the GOLITE bag if you plan on pushing it's capacity ...it is great for what is designed for and I still use mine on shorter hikes but when I need to pack extra stuff for weather or distance I use a bigger pack..
Old Man River

Rasty
11-30-2012, 11:02
Never used the Jam but just switched from a Lowe frameless 50 liter pack to a ULA Circuit and having a frame for an extra 4 or 5 ounces is worth it. With a frameless pack after 20# your packing becomes extremely important to be comfortable. The only way for me was to use my sleeping pad as a frame.

skinewmexico
11-30-2012, 13:49
I have a Golite Jam and Pinnacle from back when they were actually............light. Haven't used them since I got my ULA Catalyst and Circuit. Awesome packs, great owners, made in the USA. No one from Golite has ever called me at home, at night, when I had a fit question.

NCMedic
11-30-2012, 14:00
I have the ULA Circuit and love it! Roomy, sits and carries extremely well. I generally carry about 25 lbs for a week hike and it has never given me problems and more importantly, it feels good on my back. You can't go wrong with ULA.

Drybones
11-30-2012, 15:44
Don't mean to complicate your decision but check out the Granite Gear Crown 60...

SCRUB HIKER
11-30-2012, 21:02
I used the 2010 version of the Pinnacle (now called the Jam 70) on my AT hike. I was satisfied with it, although it's too big for the gear setup that I've evolved to since then. It carries up to about 35 pounds comfortably ... more than that and I could really feel it, but that only happened two or three times. I've heard other people say, like Skinewmexico, that the old Pinnacles and Jams were lighter and fit better than the current ones. I don't have any complaints about the Pinnacle that I used. Durability was fantastic (unlike Texman's experience above), and aside from the smell and a layer of grime, it's not any different from the day I got it. I'm not sure what you mean by access--it's a top-loader, but the less stuff you have, the less of a problem that is. That never bothered me.

T-Rx
11-30-2012, 22:19
I have a Golite Jam and Pinnacle from back when they were actually............light. Haven't used them since I got my ULA Catalyst and Circuit. Awesome packs, great owners, made in the USA. No one from Golite has ever called me at home, at night, when I had a fit question.

I agree skinewmexico. I love my ULA catalyst, it is a great pack and carries very well. I think I am going to buy a ULA circuit soon since I don't carry quite as much weight as I once did. And they do have great customer service, very helpful. They stand behind their products!

NaturalHiker
11-30-2012, 22:20
I have a GoLite Jam 50L and a ULA Circuit. The Jam seems to be a great pack, i've only taken it out a few time's with the max. recommended load but it seemed to hold up fine, maybe a little sagging but that's just because i didnt have it packed optimal with a sleeping pad for extra support. Have yet to get a chance to load my Circuit to max capacity, but from the fit it seems like it's going to be a great pack.

turtle fast
12-01-2012, 03:22
Another ULA bump....you just cant go wrong with these packs (unless you seriously overload them with an anvil). Made in the USA by hikers for hikers.

TheBigHiker
12-03-2012, 02:10
Ahhhhhhh runaway!!!! So many recommendations!!! :) I picked up a ULA Circuit today. I was going to look into the GoLite Jam 50, but decided not to when I read that a frameless pack can be a lot harder for people with back issues, which I have. It feels great. I got to try it on at New Adventures in Portland, OR. Those guys spent over an hour with me working on getting a pack to fit me right. After 45 minutes my wife started giving me the "I've had it. It's time to go." stare. These guys just smiled and helped me even though I said I wasn't sure if I was going to buy a pack there.

Ok there is my shameless plug. I really like the pack and hope it works out!

TheBigHiker
12-03-2012, 02:13
Ahhhhhhh runaway!!!! So many recommendations!!! :) I picked up a ULA Circuit today. I was going to look into the GoLite Jam 50, but decided not to when I read that a frameless pack can be a lot harder for people with back issues, which I have. It feels great. I got to try it on at New Adventures in Portland, OR. Those guys spent over an hour with me working on getting a pack to fit me right. After 45 minutes my wife started giving me the "I've had it. It's time to go." stare. These guys just smiled and helped me even though I said I wasn't sure if I was going to buy a pack there.

Ok there is my shameless plug. I really like the pack and hope it works out!

Dang it I mean Next Adventure... sheesh I've been doing that all day today!

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 10:30
i went fron osprey atmos to a circuit.i miss the compartments ,but the circuit holds all my winter gear well.i just got back from a two day,was planning on three +,section hike on the ozark trail.the circuit took its maiden voyage well at 27 lbs range.i found the weight confortable,and the space held all my hammock gear.id recomend this pack to anyone,being a picky tight azz when it comes to spending money,it is rare to say i find nothing wrong with my circuit.

miami
12-03-2012, 22:23
I carried a ULA Circuit the entire length of the Trail this year. No complaints. Weights up to 35lbs were very comfortable. Anything over 40lbs, I would consider to be uncomfortable. Carried my winter gear just fine.

miami
12-03-2012, 22:27
IMO, if you are utilizing an entire ULA Catalyst, you are certainly carrying too much weight (or have never heard of compression stuff sacks). Most of the folks I saw carrying a Catalyst could have easily moved into a Circuit.

buldogge
12-06-2012, 23:36
OT...What section of the OT did you hit? We were out on the Taum Sauk (and onto the Trace) for 3 days last week. Ended up going from Hwy 21 TH to 32/DD TH (on the Middle Fork). Weather was perfect, trail was mostly good.

-Mark in St. Louis

i went fron osprey atmos to a circuit.i miss the compartments ,but the circuit holds all my winter gear well.i just got back from a two day,was planning on three +,section hike on the ozark trail.the circuit took its maiden voyage well at 27 lbs range.i found the weight confortable,and the space held all my hammock gear.id recomend this pack to anyone,being a picky tight azz when it comes to spending money,it is rare to say i find nothing wrong with my circuit.

dornstar
12-07-2012, 00:19
Both are great and I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I chose the ULA Circuit because I felt that it rode a little better.

turtle fast
12-07-2012, 13:06
You gotta remember that those compression stuff sacks can add up to some weight too. A Catalyst is a good pack for 4 seasons as you need the increased CI capacity for increased bulky items and increased caloric requirements in cold weather. ALSO if you are hiking with another person like a spouse and you have increased weights and space requirements due to bulkier shared gear YOU have to carry the extra space is a blessing. As well for the summer, yes you will have a lot of excess capacity for places where resupply is a weekly gig like on the AT, but the good thing about the Catalyst is that the top can roll down and the pack shrinks down very well. If your resupply points is further apart then the increased CI is welcome to carry the extra food needed. Not saying you could not do it in a Circuit, but you have the room in a Catalyst when needed. On the AT its nice especially in the Spring/Fall.

Red Hat
12-07-2012, 20:28
I haven't read all the entries, but for me it's a nobrainer to go with ULA! I only used Golite on my 2005 hike and had to change packs in Erwin because I was getting pinched nerves on my shoulders. Since then I have purchased three ULAs (Catalyst, Circuit, and CDT) and love them all! I mostly use the Circuit now that I have gone lighter. The CDT is great for shorter summer hikes.

saltysack
12-12-2012, 14:36
I have both and hands down the ula circuit is well worth the extra $$$$!!!!!

dandandan
12-28-2012, 14:59
I used a the 2nd model of the jam on my thru attempt this year, and found it to be too heavy for what it was. a frameless sack with shoulder straps doesnt need to be anywhere NEAR 2 pounds.

BUT....it held up fine and worked as advertized, not a bad pack, you just can get more for the weight elsewhere.

Magic_Rat
12-29-2012, 19:01
Can anyone give some insight/recommendation as far as the ULA J-strap vs. S-strap goes?

Astro
12-29-2012, 19:09
Can anyone give some insight/recommendation as far as the ULA J-strap vs. S-strap goes?

Check the information on their website. It has more to do with body shape (such as male vs. "typical female"). If you still need additional help contact them, they have "Great" customer service.

takethisbread
12-30-2012, 07:29
I own a ULA catalyst and a Go Lite Dawn. I almost always use the Go LIte dawn now, its 13 oz and it took some effort to get it. ULA is only for long trips out west where water is scarce and ressupply is scarce

rustmd
12-30-2012, 11:27
i use go-lite jam, am a section hiker, 1 to 4 weeks at a time. once i learned how to load the jam, i found it worked for me. it also taught me how to carry under 30 lbs., the pack is limited in how much weight to carry. i can carry for up to 6 days, then need to resupply.

.com

itbaer999
01-01-2013, 15:49
I recently got the GoLite Jam 70 for my thru hike, I have only taken it on a few short hikes so far but it seems really nice. Never hiked with a frame-less pack though so it'll be an experience!

StylinLP38
01-02-2013, 13:10
I was thinking of getting the new Gorilla 2012 Ultralight Backpack. How does that compare?

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/gorilla-2012-ultralight-backpack.html

Deadeye
01-02-2013, 22:48
IMO, if you are utilizing an entire ULA Catalyst, you are certainly carrying too much weight (or have never heard of compression stuff sacks). Most of the folks I saw carrying a Catalyst could have easily moved into a Circuit.

Or just prefer not to have to cram stuff in! I've heard of compression sacks, and rarely carry more than 25 pounds, but I like my fluffy down things to stay fluffy, and they can cushion all my other stuff - what little there is.