PDA

View Full Version : Chip Leonard

TOW
05-21-2005, 23:27
Any of you remember Chip Leonard? I met him north of Hot Springs in January 2001 on the trail. At first I thought we were going to duke it out, the way he approached the camp.

He says, "Can I stay here?" real sarcastic like.

I says, "yeah pal, I don't own nothing here."

"Well all your junk is spread all over the place, I figured you thought you owned it? I'm gonna go get some water, have my half of the shelter cleared by the time I get back," he says.

"Go get your water, but don't get smart with me," I replied.

As he strode off he looked at me out of the corner of his eye to see if I meant business? I think he noticed I did.

While he was gone I started placing equalizers all over the place within easy reach. When he returned he just strode past the shelter peering inside to make sure his part was cleaned, I hadn't touched a thing. None of my "junk" was even near being strung all over "his" half.

He went around back and I heard him poking around looking for a campsite I suppose. He then came back around to the front of the shelter, dropped his pack and from a standing position he jumped up on the platform. Scared the crap right out of me!

Stretching his arms, he measured the shelter and paced it out. He says "this half is my half, that half is your half. Any questions?"

"Are we going to have problems? Because if we are, let's quit this silly crap and get it over with!" I replied.

He jumps in the air and to the ground and goes into a stance like the "Karate Kid." Another move that made me want to crawl deeper into my skin. I figured one of us was about to die?

He goes, "I know self-defense!"

I says, "I got a few moves of my own too pal!"

As this is evolving between us I began to think that this guy is as scared as I am? So I says, "Wait just a minute here, this is bull****. Let's start over. My name is Larry The Wanderer. What is yours?" I extended my hand.

He stops, pauses as he drops his mouth and says, "I've heard of you, Dan Gallagher said you were ahead of me and Miss Janet says she just met you yesterday. They said for me to be good to you, that your okay. I guess it's okay to shake your hand?"

I knew then that something wasn't ticking right and he says, "my name's Chip Leonard" and we shook hands.

I told him that I had heard of him and read about him in the book "A Walk In The Woods."

After that I got to know him a bit and we had a good laugh about it all, but I could never get a word in edge wise. As he spoke, I recieved a wealth of info about hiking dos and don'ts. And he told me about some of his troubles on the trail. Also I believe he said he was on his 18th thru hike? I can't remember. He said he would just go to one end of the trail, turn around and go back to the other. He had been doing it for awhile he said.

I thought I was going to have to sleep with one eye open that night but he talked me right to "nana land." The next morning after we arose and ate and packed our packs, he said "I'll meet you at the next road north." That was at 7 am and he was gone.

I never did see him again but I did hear alot of tales about him. I heard that he was arrested and sent to prison for harrassing a female. Then I heard it was for harrassing a trail work crew in SNP. Then there was another story and so on?

Does anyone know what happened to Chip?"

Wanderer

weary
05-22-2005, 10:41
Any of you remember Chip Leonard? I met him north of Hot Springs in January 2001 on the trail. At first I thought we were going to duke it out, the way he approached the camp.
......Does anyone know what happened to Chip?"Wanderer
Nope. And I've told this story before. But since you ask.....

I met Ward Leonard twice in 1991, while walking Maine with a 9-year-old grandson -- once as he passed us in the 100-mile-wilderness while he was heading for Katahdin for the second time that year and again after he had summited Katahdin and was heading back to Georgia.

The registers had been full of complaints about Ward being belligerant and insulting. But when he passed us the second time I screwed up my courage and asked Ward if he expected to make it all the way to Springer, given that it was already late August.

"I don't know," he replied, "I have financial and emotional problems."

Then he demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

"Yep," I replied.

"Good," Ward said. "He's the only person I've met on this trail bright enough for me to talk to."

My grandson was a bright kid. But he had never been able to learn to read or write at more than a very elementary level. He communicated with the world by asking questions. Everyone he met on our 283 mile walk was grilled. Even Ward Leonard.

Weary

TOW
05-22-2005, 11:31
wow........
Nope. And I've told this story before. But since you ask.....

I met Ward Leonard twice in 1991, while walking Maine with a 9-year-old grandson -- once as he passed us in the 100-mile-wilderness while he was heading for Katahdin for the second time that year and again after he had summited Katahdin and was heading back to Georgia.

The registers had been full of complaints about Ward being belligerant and insulting. But when he passed us the second time I screwed up my courage and asked Ward if he expected to make it all the way to Springer, given that it was already late August.

"I don't know," he replied, "I have financial and emotional problems."

Then he demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

"Yep," I replied.

"Good," Ward said. "He's the only person I've met on this trail bright enough for me to talk to."

My grandson was a bright kid. But he had never been able to learn to read or write at more than a very elementary level. He communicated with the world by asking questions. Everyone he met on our 283 mile walk was grilled. Even Ward Leonard.

Weary

weary
05-22-2005, 12:13
wow........
BTW. You are not the "only" wanderer. Among my grandson's demands of hikers he met was a trail name. Finally, someone announced he was the "Weary Wanderer." Since he wasn't much for writing, I took to signing the registers as the "Weary Wanderers."

When I hiked north from Springer two years later, I reverted to the singular, "Weary Wanderer." That quickly changed to just Weary.

And now you know the rest of the story.

TOW
05-22-2005, 14:09
BTW. You are not the "only" wanderer. Among my grandson's demands of hikers he met was a trail name. Finally, someone announced he was the "Weary Wanderer." Since he wasn't much for writing, I took to signing the registers as the "Weary Wanderers."

When I hiked north from Springer two years later, I reverted to the singular, "Weary Wanderer." That quickly changed to just Weary.

And now you know the rest of the story.
Yea I know...............

neo
05-22-2005, 14:20
i have heard that ward leonard is one hell of a hiker,i have heard that 30 to 40 miles a day is a normal average for him.:cool: neo

TOW
05-22-2005, 15:23
i have heard that ward leonard is one hell of a hiker,i have heard that 30 to 40 miles a day is a normal average for him.:cool: neo
He told me that he once did a 120 miler in 23 hours..........wanderer

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 14:16
I had the unplesant fortune to meet ward at Wilcox North shelter mass (and in vermont just befor Bromley). I was to only one there he came in at dark and told me that this shelter was public property. Nice way to start off. I knew who he was and did not like the guy from the get go. If you've meet him you know what I mean . He told me to move my gear out of his way I told him to #%^& off. We were the only ones there. I made this clear to him. He then told me he had a lawyer and he would sick him on me. Another mistake. Ward is a skinny medium tall guy that maybe weighs 150 lbs. I'm 6'2 260 lbs I stood up and told him I was going to issue him a beating. He fianlly got the message. I told him I knew who he was and he had a bad reputation on the AT. He laughed and said " how many miles did you hike today two"? Another hiker came in shortly after this and ward started on him too. I did'nt know him he was behind me a way and said"your ward lenard huh"? Ward started up with this guy "theres a guy comming up behing me that wants to meet you". "he wants to kick your ass" That was it ward left in the dark heading to goose pond cabin. I bet he was a big hit there. When I finished the trail I got a job with the forest service in VT. I was working in the forest cutting brush around wild apple trees growing in an abanded orchard there when I saw him , passing the primitive capsite . He was talking to himself or laughing .

The reason he makes so many miles is he carries nothing but peanut butter sandwiches a water bottle and a bivy sack. whats that all of 9 pounds? My pack was 8800 cubic inches Dana Designs Arkflex ll and it was full. Yea he pissed me off but I got over it.

Anyone remember bill the blind hiker? The roving wanderer ? he carried that dog thru the smokies that he found on the trail . Vagabond Lou? hell of a nice guy. Gutless? Strider? Marmot? Lagunatic? did she ever make that AT movie?
Lots of good memories

ME-->GA 91
Long TRAIL 92

clamslayer

Lone Wolf
06-09-2005, 14:21
I remember all those folks, Clamslayer. I was out that year too. Was helping Maineak do his speed hike. I'm from Saunderstown.

MOWGLI
06-09-2005, 14:39
I told him I knew who he was and he had a bad reputation on the AT. He laughed and said " how many miles did you hike today two"?

That's pretty funny though. LOL

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 14:53
saunderstown RI ? Wolfe

Lone Wolf
06-09-2005, 14:55
Yes. Born and raised in North Kingstown actually. Sister and step mom live in Saunderstown.

MDSHiker
06-09-2005, 15:00
I ran into "Chip" in Georgia...I'm thinking it was 2001. All I remember was that it was very hot out that day and he was hiking in rain pants and rain coat. I thought that was odd. I had heard about Chip before actually running into him on the trail. He wasn't hard to identify.

Mags
06-09-2005, 15:01
FWIW, grew up in the Anthony section of Coventry, RI.

Miss Del's, Dunkin' Donut's iced coffee, Clam cakes and chowda and a hit of coffee milk once in a while. :)

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 15:04
remember that steak place with the bar on rte. 7 in mass They let us stay over nite in the back. The roving wanderer stopped there for a steak and a beer. I guess he did'nt see that the 100 deet insect repelent leaking from the bottom of his pack. He liked to wear those spandex short pants.... It leaked out and disoulved the fabric of his shorts. His ass hung out and he did'nt wear underware. No one told him til he got to TomLenard shelter. I guess he thought all those people beeping thier horns on that road walk were saying hi. Aint that a kick in the corn..

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 15:06
I live in Oakland beach Warwick. I'm a commercial Shellfisherman now or Quohogger to us Rhodeislanders

Skyline
06-09-2005, 15:07
If Ward (Chip) is taking his meds as prescribed he's not such a bad guy. And he IS one hell of a hiker--very strong and focused. Problem is, he doesn't stay on his meds.

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 15:11
Anyone seen him lately? dosent he live in Steamboat Springs CO. ?

MOWGLI
06-09-2005, 15:15
I live in Oakland beach Warwick. I'm a commercial Shellfisherman now or Quohogger to us Rhodeislanders

I've spent alot of time tossing live eels and plugs to the stripers at Watch Hill, Quonny, Weekapaug, Charletown Breachway, Point Judith and lots of other places. I really miss RI. I've caught some big 'uns up there. Great state! My wife just found a receipt from a cafe at Watch Hill from the early September '01. Brought back lots of memories - both good & bad.

Mags
06-09-2005, 15:15

Oakland Beach? I have one phrase for you:
Doughboys at Iggy's! :)

Yum. Yum. (Had a cousin who worked there during high school as well).

I lived in Rhody until untl 1999.. (25 yo). Suspect will always be a Rhode Islander at heart. :)

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 15:24
I got an easy resipe for stuffed quohoggs : Cook the clams in a big pot or small one save the juice after you strain out the debris. getsome good instant stuffing at the supermarket(not chicker flavor) like peperage farm. chop all the clam meat up or blend it save the empty shells. Use the water you saved to make the stuffing and mix the chopped up clam meat with it. Fill the shells with this and baked it with some butter on each one or I usekielbasa on each one .MMMMMM

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 15:27
If you guys ever want a good place to dig clams let me know.

TOW
06-09-2005, 17:52
The reason he makes so many miles is he carries nothing but peanut butter sandwiches a water bottle and a bivy sack. whats that all of 9 pounds? My pack was 8800 cubic inches Dana Designs Arkflex ll and it was full. Yea he pissed me off but I got over it.

Anyone remember bill the blind hiker? The roving wanderer ? he carried that dog thru the smokies that he found on the trail . Vagabond Lou? hell of a nice guy. Gutless? Strider? Marmot? Lagunatic? did she ever make that AT movie?
Lots of good memories

ME-->GA 91
Long TRAIL 92

clamslayerhey who is the retired military SGM that lived at the castle right down from Bob Peoples that hikes the trail all the time or use to? I remember him telling me that he slapped the crap out of Leonard one time and that he or someone else tied him to a tree one night away from a shelter that he had disrupted. who was that guy? short fellow, glasses, bald?

TOW
06-09-2005, 17:57
I've spent alot of time tossing live eels and plugs to the stripers at Watch Hill, Quonny, Weekapaug, Charletown Breachway, Point Judith and lots of other places. I really miss RI. I've caught some big 'uns up there. Great state! My wife just found a receipt from a cafe at Watch Hill from the early September '01. Brought back lots of memories - both good & bad.i hung out in providence and then block island back in the spring of '02. i liked RI, the people were reallyfriendly to this stranger........

TOW
06-09-2005, 18:02
I got an easy resipe for stuffed quohoggs : Cook the clams in a big pot or small one save the juice after you strain out the debris. getsome good instant stuffing at the supermarket(not chicker flavor) like peperage farm. chop all the clam meat up or blend it save the empty shells. Use the water you saved to make the stuffing and mix the chopped up clam meat with it. Fill the shells with this and baked it with some butter on each one or I usekielbasa on each one .MMMMMMmaking my mouth water......... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_15.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm020YYUS)

dje97001
06-09-2005, 18:07
We just went to the Chowderfest in Newport last week. mmm... mmm... good.

Bolivershagnasty
06-09-2005, 19:35
Well I'm glad to hear about him hear and now. Sounds like everyone "just knows him" and lets him play his " head games". Someone needs to actually stomp his butt and tie him up 500 yrds off the trail and save everyone else down trail. I'll tell you right here and now, the first time he starts anything with me I'll show him why he should not run his mouth to people he doesn't know that far from help. I don't negiotiate peace with people like that. You ever see that guy on the trail after you've met me out there tell him I want to meet him! I might not stop him but I'll dang sure break him the habit of it!

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 20:58
You really thing kicking wards ass will do anything? You know howto get to him??????? Here how: Tell him he is a no good slack packing blue blazer. You have my word as a hiker he will self destruct right in front of you.

Clamslayer
06-09-2005, 21:01
sorry about my spellin I just finished a dozen doughnuts and now I'm a little dizzy

weary
06-09-2005, 23:05
Well I'm glad to hear about him hear and now. Sounds like everyone "just knows him" and lets him play his " head games". Someone needs to actually stomp his butt and tie him up 500 yrds off the trail and save everyone else down trail. I'll tell you right here and now, the first time he starts anything with me I'll show him why he should not run his mouth to people he doesn't know that far from help. I don't negiotiate peace with people like that. You ever see that guy on the trail after you've met me out there tell him I want to meet him! I might not stop him but I'll dang sure break him the habit of it!
I don't think you understand. Stomping on Leonard for his head games is a bit like kicking a hiker on crutches because you can't stand his limping. He is to be pitied, not beat on.

Weary

fiddlehead
06-09-2005, 23:55
Now we're talking about a trail legend here!
One of the 1st lightweight hikers.
Probably hold some kind of record for the most thru-hikes ever.
Probably holds the record for the most fights, jail time, arguments, confrontations, etc. on the trail too.
Has a lot of balls! Does anyone remember the time he came to the gathering (i think it was about 10 years ago) and when the 1st speaker of the weekend got up and said "i'm a hiker" (his first words) Ward stands up from his seat in the back and says "Says who!" He couldn't handle the crowds and hostility or whatever goes thru his mind around people, and left soon after. I guess this was the best that he could do.
Anyway, he is one hell of a hiker and should've been an ultra runner.

Rendezvous01
06-10-2005, 00:20
hey who is the retired military SGM that lived at the castle right down from Bob Peoples that hikes the trail all the time or use to? I remember him telling me that he slapped the crap out of Leonard one time and that he or someone else tied him to a tree one night away from a shelter that he had disrupted. who was that guy? short fellow, glasses, bald?
Are you thinking of Seiko? (Not sure of his spelling, if it's like the watch or not). When not out hiking, he's been known to stop up at Kincora with some outstanding food. Just drops it off, chats for a brief while, then is on his way. His way of giving back. I took a hero day there and was grilling some honey mustard chicken for everybody out hiking. Seiko shows up with a dish that made my gourmet chicken look like dogfood. Hard to believe that there were leftovers along the Trail, but it certainly wasn't Seiko's cooking that we ate for breakfast the next day!

rafe
06-10-2005, 00:45
<Anyone remember bill the blind hiker? The roving wanderer ? he carried that dog thru the smokies that he found on the trail . Vagabond Lou? hell of a nice guy. Gutless? Strider? Marmot? Lagunatic? did she ever make that AT movie?
Lots of good memories>

I met Bill Erwin at Trail Daze in 1990. Had many encounters with Lagunatic (Carol Moore) and have her video, somewhere. It was a bit disappointing -- not nearly as professional as Lynne Wheldon's which preceded it. Carol followed the wave of hikers throughout the 1990 season and performed countless acts of Trail Angeling. We exchanged Xmas cards for a few years but I've since lost contact with her, and just about everyone else I met on that years' hike.

I also had a few encounters with Ward. One just below Hampton, and another in Baxter Park in September of that same year (1990). Fortunately both brief and non-violent.

When I met Ward near Hampton, he informed me that he'd left Springer ten days before. I'd been on the trail about a month at that point. He was pissed off at me because I didn't know who he was.

Most memorable personality from that year was Lone Wolf, with whom I hiked briefly. Seen him on the 'net here and there, but not in person since then.

rafe b
aka terrapin

TakeABreak
06-10-2005, 05:20
The Only Wanderer I think Rendezvous01, is correct about who you are looking for Seiko, I met him in 02, the last day or Sunday, of traildays, I went buy the Kincora to say hi to Bob and Pat, drop off some used clothes and vacuum sealed trail food for hikers needing supplies to get to Damascus, and was invited by Pat, to go to a picnic at Watagua Lake, they were having for Hikers who stayed on to do trail work.

I got to talking to a guy there that meets your description to a T, he said his name was Seiko, a really nice guy. He said he was retired (didn't say from where), and hiked the trail a lot, many times over and was hiking that year but came back for traildays and the work event. Even he is smaller than me (physically I am, 6ft & weight 225, although my hiking weight is best around 190 -195) I got the impression he would not take any crap from anyone like this guy.

Imet some guys in 00 who started a week or so after me, who described running into a guy like Ward, in Ga or NC, they said he was a real piece of work. Always saying smart mouth stuff, the guy I was walking too, basicly said he finally told the guy to shutup or putup. He said the guy left and they never saw him again.

I would be curious to know where he is, I am also considering a NOBO for early next year God willing, and I would rather not have to deal with this guy, because I do have a bit of short fuse when it comes to people like that.

TOW
06-10-2005, 07:16
I don't think you understand. Stomping on Leonard for his head games is a bit like kicking a hiker on crutches because you can't stand his limping. He is to be pitied, not beat on.

Weary i agree with that but not pity, understanding and once you understand then you'll be able to communicate....

TOW
06-10-2005, 07:20
Are you thinking of Seiko? (Not sure of his spelling, if it's like the watch or not). When not out hiking, he's been known to stop up at Kincora with some outstanding food. Just drops it off, chats for a brief while, then is on his way. His way of giving back. I took a hero day there and was grilling some honey mustard chicken for everybody out hiking. Seiko shows up with a dish that made my gourmet chicken look like dogfood. Hard to believe that there were leftovers along the Trail, but it certainly wasn't Seiko's cooking that we ate for breakfast the next day!thats him, anyone got an email on him, sure would like to talk to him, good guy there i thought..........

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 07:23
Ward is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. The first time we met in 89 he pulled the tough guy act with me. I knew there was something different about him so my feathers didn't get ruffled. He's the toughest hiker I know. He's a friend.

TOW
06-10-2005, 07:27
I would be curious to know where he is, I am also considering a NOBO for early next year God willing, and I would rather not have to deal with this guy, because I do have a bit of short fuse when it comes to people like that.i wouldn't worry none about him, i just want to know where he's at so i can see how he's doing..............?

TOW
06-10-2005, 07:30
Ward is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. The first time we met in 89 he pulled the tough guy act with me. I knew there was something different about him so my feathers didn't get ruffled. He's the toughest hiker I know. He's a friend.dang right, he's tough................there's some that are brutes of brute strength and there's some that are brute of brute" getting the job done..............

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 07:30
Last I knew he was living in Connecticut with his parents. I saw him and his dad hiking in Sages Ravine a few years ago.

Clamslayer
06-10-2005, 09:02
I did'nt know that he was removed off the AT by law enforcement. I read on the net that this happend a few times. He can not go back to baxter, tosed from there too. 1996-1998 a federal judge no less banned him fom the AT for a couple years . I don't know about you guys but when I meet him I was lets say" not in the best mood". If I met someone like that today my reactions would be diffrent. I don't think punching wards lights out would have made me feel any better given his condition.

Lugnut
06-10-2005, 09:15
thats him, anyone got an email on him, sure would like to talk to him, good guy there i thought..........

Bob Peoples said the last he heard Seiko was in Hiawasse. That was early May. I don't think he is into computers and email.

TakeABreak
06-10-2005, 10:14
If you really want to get a hold of Seiko, I would try going through Bob Peoples, I remember Seiko saying to me he lived near by the Kincora, and it was apparent that him and Bob were pals.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 10:31
He lives at the Braemar Castle in Hampton. Call Brown's Grocery and ask for Sutton. He'll tell you if Seiko ( Ron, Bushman, Jaded) is around. 423-725-2411

TOW
07-22-2006, 11:15
He lives at the Braemar Castle in Hampton. Call Brown's Grocery and ask for Sutton. He'll tell you if Seiko ( Ron, Bushman, Jaded) is around. 423-725-2411anyone hear how Seiko is doing these days, i heard thru the grapevine he might be pretty ill....?