PDA

View Full Version : Alternative finds to complement cookware.

Tinker
11-30-2012, 16:27
I'd like to start a thread that people can use to expand the usability of their cookware by showing their discoveries of what might fit or work well with hiking specific cookware - things that were never intended to be used as such but add to the versatility/usability of the item indicated.

I'll be the first -

Last week I found out, completely by coincidence, that the "Flavor Lock Lid" from a Maxwell House pound can of coffee is an absolutely perfect fit on the top of my Snow Peak 750ml. ti cup.

Who's next? This topic could branch off into food storage, animal protection, etc.

daddytwosticks
11-30-2012, 18:37
A Poweraide 1 liter plastic bottle nests perfectly into my Snow Peak 600 ti mug. Space saver, plus when I go to fill up my water bottle, the mug is right there to be used as a water dipper. :)

trapper
12-01-2012, 07:35
someone else suggested this on here so i won't take credit...a kmart grease pot as a cooking pot...i went and got one its super light and super cheap(under5 bucks). works great..dosent say snow peak on it but it wasn't 60$ either

Rocket Jones
12-01-2012, 09:16
Not quite what you were thinking of, and very situation specific, but when we stay in the cabins at SNP, there are small metal trash cans to store your food in to protect against mice. Our group will fill and overstuff the can, so I always bring my food in a metal cookie tin. A little duct tape to keep it shut and the rodents don't get at my food either.

Altarboy
12-01-2012, 09:32
A McDonalds McFlurry gets you an excellent strong stiff long spoon that is sort of pointed near the end allowing it to go down into the bottom of Mountain House and Coleman and other food-in-a-bag type dinners.

coach lou
12-01-2012, 09:45
Not quite what you were thinking of, and very situation specific, but when we stay in the cabins at SNP, there are small metal trash cans to store your food in to protect against mice. Our group will fill and overstuff the can, so I always bring my food in a metal cookie tin. A little duct tape to keep it shut and the rodents don't get at my food either.

I like this Idea, and will search for the ideal tin!

chynabear
12-01-2012, 10:05
I wish coffee still came in metal containers. Those were the most useful containers in the world...

My most useful tool is my cup that fits over the bottom of a military canteen. My dog carries 2 quart size canteens for herself in her pack, the cup goes right over the canteen and it's the only cooking and drinking utensil I need. Of course I still have my hydration bladder. Best thing is I don't even have to carry it....

Tipi Walter
12-01-2012, 10:23
I like my little containers for bronners and carmex and vitamin E oil and here's some I've configured for use. The first can be used for bronners or if cleaned well for cooking oil like olive oil or soy sauce. The second one is tiny and can be used for bronners in the winter or Vit E oil, etc.

http://www.emtcompany.com/style/images/products/2204666a9ee6685c674ae710f980a601.jpg (http://www.emtcompany.com/style/images/products/2204666a9ee6685c674ae710f980a601.jpg)

http://faculty.mercer.edu/spears_a/studentpages/webpagesfall09/lexicalambiguity/eyedrops.jpg (http://faculty.mercer.edu/spears_a/studentpages/webpagesfall09/lexicalambiguity/eyedrops.jpg)

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/104636312/CHAP_STICK_CONTAINER.jpg (http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/104636312/CHAP_STICK_CONTAINER.jpg)
An empty one of these can be used and filled with Carmex lip balm---the soft stuff in the yellow tube.

http://di101.shoppingshadow.com/images/di/4e/33/32/435030325443714b5f7178555946636f774d77-149x149-0-0.jpg (http://di101.shoppingshadow.com/images/di/4e/33/32/435030325443714b5f7178555946636f774d77-149x149-0-0.jpg)
Finally, this mid size container is great for bronners or whatever else in your kit.

Old Hiker
12-01-2012, 11:03

If this is car/cabin camping,the thrift stores are getting the large Christmas type decorating tins out now. My wife has the bottom of 2 closets full of the large ones to put out for decorations. I'm talking 18 inches high, 12-14 inches in diameter.

Tinker
12-01-2012, 11:49

Along this line, I found out that a metal 1# coffee can (if you can find one) that has a metallic mylar freshness seal can be used to foil mice by (once empty) cutting the bottom off of another coffee can, placing it over the top (where the freshness seal used to be) and snapping the plastic lid on can make a mouse-proof food container (for a short trip). No need for tape, though the rodents will chew away at the plastic top until you need to eventually replace it.

Note: I failed to read the #7 post above. I, personally, have not seen a metal coffee can for a couple of years. Chances are that only the more expensive brands (and whole bean coffee) are still packed that way.

Rocket Jones
12-01-2012, 12:03
If this is car/cabin camping,the thrift stores are getting the large Christmas type decorating tins out now. My wife has the bottom of 2 closets full of the large ones to put out for decorations. I'm talking 18 inches high, 12-14 inches in diameter.

The one I use is about that big around but only 6 inches tall at most. Think big cookie tin. It *just* fits inside the top of my pack, and holds 4 days of food if I pack carefully.

RED-DOG
12-01-2012, 12:16
I use a Heneken can as my cook pot alot lighter than most store bought pots.

coach lou
12-01-2012, 12:23
The one I use is about that big around but only 6 inches tall at most. Think big cookie tin. It *just* fits inside the top of my pack, and holds 4 days of food if I pack carefully.
I have one here in some junk pile somewhere here and was thinking the same thing.

Double Wide
12-01-2012, 12:37
Chock Full o' Nuts coffee still comes in the big metal cans. I just brought one home this week.

chynabear
12-01-2012, 13:09
Chock Full o' Nuts coffee still comes in the big metal cans. I just brought one home this week.

That's good to know...I think I will pick a few up, one for my trekking pack and one for my caving pack....

slow mind
12-01-2012, 13:11
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/drobarge/chicken_cooker01.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/drobarge/chicken_cooker02-1.jpg

Drybones
12-01-2012, 13:21
I use a Heneken can as my cook pot alot lighter than most store bought pots.

+1 for the 24 oz beer can, mine's a Foster, coudn't find a Hinny Can. I had planned to use a titanium pot I have for the Foot Hills Trail next week just because I have it and haven't used it but decided to go with the Foster pot when I started looking at the item weights, they're fun to make too.

Rocket Jones
12-01-2012, 15:40
Ok, here's another mod/addition that's not quite what the OP was looking for. This time for the grease pot as shown in the photo above. Drill two small holes in opposite sides of your grease pot, up high on the rim, then take about a foot of heavy copper wire and make a bail for the pot. You'll need to cut two slots in the side of the lid for the wire bail, but you won't have to carry a separate pot holder. I just leave the ends of the wire hooked over, so the bail can be removed when you pack up, and the wire fits inside the pot. Since I'm doing that, I also cut a circle of disposable aluminum baking pan that fits into the bottom of the pot. This goes under my alcohol stove so I don't burn the top of wherever I'm cooking.

Tinker
12-01-2012, 17:10
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/drobarge/chicken_cooker01.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/drobarge/chicken_cooker02-1.jpg

That stove holder/pot support looks pretty heavy. Do you have a weight on it? I used to carry a stove like that until I discovered the Supercat.
You put the pot right on top of a Supercat, so you don't need the weight of a pot support, nor extra height (and weight) on your windscreen.
I started using a ti foil windscreen a few years ago and haven't found anything lighter or easier to use since.

daddytwosticks
12-01-2012, 17:21
If this is car/cabin camping,the thrift stores are getting the large Christmas type decorating tins out now. My wife has the bottom of 2 closets full of the large ones to put out for decorations. I'm talking 18 inches high, 12-14 inches in diameter. Wal-Mart and other stores sells those big tins of flavored popcorn. Eat the treat then use the can. :)

4Bears
12-01-2012, 18:15
Wal-Mart and other stores sells those big tins of flavored popcorn. Eat the treat then use the can. :)

Some booze come in tins as well in the 6-8 inch diameter range and the cookie tins are about 1/4th the height of the popcorn tins.

atraildreamer
03-13-2013, 19:15
A McDonalds McFlurry gets you an excellent strong stiff long spoon that is sort of pointed near the end allowing it to go down into the bottom of Mountain House and Coleman and other food-in-a-bag type dinners.

I cut little teeth in the end of the McFlurry spoon...I call it the McSpork!

Rocket Jones
03-13-2013, 19:23
Isn't the McFlurry spoon the one with the square hollow handle? Tried it once and had sauce pour down the inside and all over my hand.

atraildreamer
03-14-2013, 11:30
Isn't the McFlurry spoon the one with the square hollow handle? Tried it once and had sauce pour down the inside and all over my hand.

I made a small hole on the back of the McFlurry spoon, down near the bottom, to allow any liquid that got into the spoon handle to drain out.

FarmerChef
03-14-2013, 11:43
I always grab extra sporks at Taco Bell. They generally last around 500 miles or so and replacements are easily obtained.
Gladware bowls with lids. Doubles as a storage container that mice can't get into quickly. The lid can be used as a plate. upside down, the groove for the bowl rim catches liquids.
Hardware cloth - makes a great pot stand and, if it's big enough, when stretched over a couple rocks can make a grill (for all your trail grilling needs)

atraildreamer
03-14-2013, 11:45
I cut little teeth in the end of the McFlurry spoon...I call it the McSpork!

Below are images of the McFlurry spoon, a modified spoon that I call the McSpork, and where to put an additional hole (highlighted in black) to allow any liquid to drain out of the spoon handle. I made the teeth in the spoon with a small pair of scissors. To get the spoon, buy a McFlurry, consume it :D and save the spoon!

Rocket Jones
03-14-2013, 13:14
McHole? ROFLMAO.

atraildreamer
03-15-2013, 18:07
McHole? ROFLMAO.

McBeen McGoing McTo McDonald's McToo McMuch Mc!

Swordpen
03-16-2013, 18:37
Below are images of the McFlurry spoon, a modified spoon that I call the McSpork, and where to put an additional hole (highlighted in black) to allow any liquid to drain out of the spoon handle. I made the teeth in the spoon with a small pair of scissors. To get the spoon, buy a McFlurry, consume it :D and save the spoon!

Thanks for the idea, I just made a McSpork too! :)

Swordpen
03-17-2013, 04:08
PS: the "McSpork" is really easy to make the plastic is soft enough to cut with the tiny swiss army knife classic knife (used to be called the Officers Knife).

I cut 5 tines in it, its sharp enough to pick up pieces of string cheese even (I ate with it tonight).

it weighs 4 grams.

atraildreamer
03-17-2013, 11:17
PS: the "McSpork" is really easy to make the plastic is soft enough to cut with the tiny swiss army knife classic knife (used to be called the Officers Knife).

I cut 5 tines in it, its sharp enough to pick up pieces of string cheese even (I ate with it tonight).

it weighs 4 grams.

Real hot water doesn't seem to affect the plastic. I haven't melted one, yet.

etboy
03-17-2013, 12:54
Hey come on Dreamer, this is Whiteblaze!
You drilled the hole to lighten the spork, right?

Bronk
03-18-2013, 01:24
I use the lid to my pot as a frying pan to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

atraildreamer
03-18-2013, 10:47
Hey come on Dreamer, this is Whiteblaze!
You drilled the hole to lighten the spork, right?

The McSpork weighs 4 grams. :-? How many holes would I need to drill to get the weight down to 2 grams? :confused: Got to get the McDrill out and start experimenting! :banana

FarmerChef
03-18-2013, 10:57
Why stop there when you could route out the handle and drill holes in the business end of the spoon. It would drain out liquids while you ate the solids and then you could drink the liquids from your cup/bowl. Bet you could get that weight down to less than 1 gram. :clap

jimmyjam
03-18-2013, 12:24
The little microwaveable single serving soup bowls are thick hard plastic and come with a plastic lid. Makes a good cup for coffee or bowl and will nest perfectly inside the titan kettle. I put a little shamwow, a mini bic, wind screen, ground shield, and my cat can stove inside the soup bowl inside the titan kettle.

atraildreamer
03-21-2013, 11:24
The little microwaveable single serving soup bowls are thick hard plastic and come with a plastic lid. Makes a good cup for coffee or bowl and will nest perfectly inside the titan kettle. I put a little shamwow, a mini bic, wind screen, ground shield, and my cat can stove inside the soup bowl inside the titan kettle.

These work, too! But have it your way! Available at Burger King.

Just as a fun thing to do, what other fast food items can you think of that can be adapted for use in a backpackers kitchen?

Doc Mike
03-21-2013, 18:50
Along this line, I found out that a metal 1# coffee can (if you can find one) that has a metallic mylar freshness seal can be used to foil mice by (once empty) cutting the bottom off of another coffee can, placing it over the top (where the freshness seal used to be) and snapping the plastic lid on can make a mouse-proof food container (for a short trip). No need for tape, though the rodents will chew away at the plastic top until you need to eventually replace it.

Note: I failed to read the #7 post above. I, personally, have not seen a metal coffee can for a couple of years. Chances are that only the more expensive brands (and whole bean coffee) are still packed that way.

dollar store still sells coffee in metal cans

LIhikers
03-22-2013, 14:14
I carry my water in Gatoraide bottles that are round.
I carry stove fuel in rectangular, or odd shaped, mouthwash bottles.
That way I can tell the difference, by the shape, even in the dark.

MyName1sMud
05-31-2013, 11:22
That's a really freaking great idea.