PDA

View Full Version : Solo (the rescued hiker) finished his thru hike today.

moldy
12-01-2012, 19:11
I noticed from Trail Journals that Solo finished his thru hike today. You can read his side of the rescue story from his TJ posts. The story should give us all cause to think about what we would do in his situation. It's easy to second guess his decisions while sitting here on my couch. His decision to climb up into the park from Davenport Gap in the face of a bad weather report must have haunted him that first night as the snow stacked up in Tri-corner gap shelter. The decision not to head back down the way he came the next day must have troubled him on his second night in the shelter as even more snow accumulates. Day 3, out of water, almost out of fuel, the light bulb of "I'm in deep poop" comes on. He decides to leave the shelter and go North in 3 to 5 feet of snow. This decision will result in a near death experience. He makes it a mile to the top of the mountain. He is cold, wet and exhausted. He manages to get a cell signal and dials 911. Of course after you call 911 you give up decision making at that point and they start calling the shots. This is probably a good thing because his decisions seem to be getting worse. He sets up his tent and gets into his sleeping bag and waits a very long cold miserable night until the helo gets to him. He is lucky to be alive and still have all his fingers and toes. We all should read his story.

Wise Old Owl
12-01-2012, 19:25
Moldy do you have a link?

1azarus
12-01-2012, 19:33
I know how hard it is to travel in deep snow... and look forward to this thread discussing how better the situation could have been managed so we all benefit from the experience. More reserve fuel or a wood burner might be one thing, although i've never had to look for wood in that much snow... more reserve food... if surprised by snow, how long should you be able to hole up for? could a water source be dug down to? If the snow wasn't likely to melt for a while, should he have planned to travel even shorter distances daily toward a trail head? It wasn't actually that cold, apparently...

Rasty
12-01-2012, 19:38
I just read the section. He got very lucky. It's a good lesson for any of us as we go into the Mountains during the winter. Have extra food, fuel, clothing and the ability to keep dry and hunker down when needed. Not many escape routes from Tri-Corner knob Shelter.

Rasty
12-01-2012, 19:39
Moldy do you have a link?

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=395675

rhjanes
12-01-2012, 19:41
Solo's Trail Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13762) (<<< click that)

max patch
12-01-2012, 20:23
It's easy to second guess his decisions while sitting here on my couch. His decision to climb up into the park from Davenport Gap in the face of a bad weather report must have haunted him that first night as the snow stacked up in Tri-corner gap shelter.

Can't fault that one; IIRC the weather report called for 6-7 inches of snow over a couple days.

If he had finished a couple days earlier the last mile to Springer would have been closed due to forest fire. Given his earlier experience, I wonder if he would have ignored the closure and finished.

MuddyWaters
12-01-2012, 21:08
I recall the weather report predicting up to 2' of snow in high elevations north of there. I would have thought discretion might have been called for, regardless of local forecasts.

moldy
12-01-2012, 21:15
I think he had a bad case of "get homeitis". Here he is late October, he hiked all the way from Maine, 230 miles to go. He wants it to be over. He is not fitted out for snow camping, he is fitted out for big miles. Even after 3 days in the snow he is thinking about thru hike progress. The thought of heading backwards down into Davenport Gap is not there.

Rasty
12-01-2012, 21:21
I think every one of us has made a crap decision while hiking. I know I've made a few which usually involved going too fast to soon.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2012, 21:26
I think he had a bad case of "get homeitis". Here he is late October, he hiked all the way from Maine, 230 miles to go. He wants it to be over. He is not fitted out for snow camping, he is fitted out for big miles. Even after 3 days in the snow he is thinking about thru hike progress. The thought of heading backwards down into Davenport Gap is not there.

typical of most thru-hikers. all about the destination

RCBear
12-01-2012, 21:41
this would be only one example of why section hiking is more appealing to me, besides the fact that i don't have 4 or 5 months to dedicate. I prefer to carry heavier for a week or so without worrying about re-supplying and having those few extra pounds of "when the unexpected crap hits the fan and i need to hunker down" in my Gregory pack. ;)

prain4u
12-01-2012, 22:27
On several threads lately, the constant WhiteBlaze debate has been going on regarding "pack weight" and what gear you REALLY need--and what things you can do without. We frequently read comments such as: Why carry 4-5 days of food if you are only 3 days away from resupply? Why carry a 20 degree bag when temps are expected to be in the 40s? Why carry a cellphone? (You don't need that extra weight). Why carry extra fuel--it is just more unnecessary weight. Etc. Etc. Etc.

For me, this story is a good illustration of why one should perhaps think twice before "pushing the limits" in regard to how little one carries in a pack. (I think this is especially true for new and inexperienced hikers and campers who perhaps go too light too early in their hiking "career"). Anyone of us can find ourselves in a situation like the one this hiker encountered--no matter how good, gifted and experienced we might be. Stuff happens! Carrying the absolute minimums in food, fuel, water, clothing and other gear can sometimes make a situation like this one even worse.

Am I advocating that people carry lots of excess gear and food? No! However, on more than one occasion---when conditions or situations have changed unexpectedly--my life has been saved (or at least my level of safety and comfort has been greatly increased) by that little bit "extra" that I carry in my pack "just in case". (I have even more frequently tapped into my "extra" stuff--in order to assist a fellow hiker who came to the woods "less than fully prepared").

hikerboy57
12-01-2012, 22:52
its a valid point. there is nothing wrong with lightening your load, but a lot of newbies come here for advice, and unless you're experienced in winter backpacking, you need to err on the side of caution.that includes watching the weather.

MuddyWaters
12-01-2012, 23:11
On several threads lately, the constant WhiteBlaze debate has been going on regarding "pack weight" and what gear you REALLY need--and what things you can do without. We frequently read comments such as: Why carry 4-5 days of food if you are only 3 days away from resupply? Why carry a 20 degree bag when temps are expected to be in the 40s? Why carry a cellphone? (You don't need that extra weight). Why carry extra fuel--it is just more unnecessary weight. Etc. Etc. Etc.

For me, this story is a good illustration of why one should perhaps think twice before "pushing the limits" in regard to how little one carries in a pack. (I think this is especially true for new and inexperienced hikers and campers who perhaps go too light too early in their hiking "career"). Anyone of us can find ourselves in a situation like the one this hiker encountered--no matter how good, gifted and experienced we might be. Stuff happens! Carrying the absolute minimums in food, fuel, water, clothing and other gear can sometimes make a situation like this one even worse.

Am I advocating that people carry lots of excess gear and food? No! However, on more than one occasion---when conditions or situations have changed unexpectedly--my life has been saved (or at least my level of safety and comfort has been greatly increased) by that little bit "extra" that I carry in my pack "just in case". (I have even more frequently tapped into my "extra" stuff--in order to assist a fellow hiker who came to the woods "less than fully prepared").

Nothing this hiker could have taken with him, short of snowshoes and packing like Tipi, would have made him safe to deal with those conditions.

The issue was one of judgement/discretion/paying attention to weather. Not necessarily pack wt..

prain4u
12-02-2012, 00:06
Nothing this hiker could have taken with him, short of snowshoes and packing like Tipi, would have made him safe to deal with those conditions.

The issue was one of judgement/discretion/paying attention to weather. Not necessarily pack wt..

I wasn't trying to say (or imply) that this particular hiker could have done anything different or that they did anything wrong. (This hiker had their cellphone--and apparently had more than the absolute bare minimum food, fuel and gear).

My point was that these kinds of situations can happen to ANY of us. AND, if all we carry with us is the absolute bare minimum supplies--and gear that is marginal for the conditions---we can make a bad situation even worse (especially if we are an inexperienced hiker). I stand by that position.

I have NO problem with lightweight or ultralight backpacking--once the person is ready for it. (HOWEVER, "experience" and "know how" are the two most important pieces of "gear" that a lightweight or UL hiker possesses). The problem (IN MY OPINION) is that too many "new" hikers try to go "too minimal" too soon--and they are in deep crap when they encounter situations like this one. They don't have the right gear or enough supplies for the situation nor do they have the experience and skills necessary to compensate for a lack of proper gear and low supplies.

I am usually a lightweight or ultralight hiker. However, I also took my first hike in 1970 or 1971 and I have hiked/camped in a variety of pretty challenging conditions. I have more than enough experience to handle UL hiking safely.

I think we do NEW hikers a disservice by constantly preaching the lightweight "gospel"--without ALSO urging caution about going too light to soon---before they have enough experience and enough skills to do so safely. (IN MY OPINION) It is like handing someone a loaded pistol before they have been properly instructed on how to use it.

MuddyWaters
12-02-2012, 00:19
I wasn't trying to say (or imply) that this particular hiker could have done anything different or that they did anything wrong. (This hiker had their cellphone--and apparently had more than the absolute bare minimum food, fuel and gear).

My point was that these kinds of situations can happen to ANY of us. AND, if all we carry with us is the absolute bare minimum supplies--and gear that is marginal for the conditions---we can make a bad situation even worse (especially if we are an inexperienced hiker). I stand by that position.

I have NO problem with lightweight or ultralight backpacking--once the person is ready for it. (HOWEVER, "experience" and "know how" are the two most important pieces of "gear" that a lightweight or UL hiker possesses). The problem (IN MY OPINION) is that too many "new" hikers try to go "too minimal" too soon--and they are in deep crap when they encounter situations like this one. They don't have the right gear or enough supplies for the situation nor do they have the experience and skills necessary to compensate for a lack of proper gear and low supplies.

I am usually a lightweight or ultralight hiker. However, I also took my first hike in 1970 or 1971 and I have hiked/camped in a variety of pretty challenging conditions. I have more than enough experience to handle UL hiking safely.

I think we do NEW hikers a disservice by constantly preaching the lightweight "gospel"--without ALSO urging caution about going too light to soon---before they have enough experience and enough skills to do so safely. (IN MY OPINION) It is like handing someone a loaded pistol before they have been properly instructed on how to use it.

Your most important piece of gear is between your ears.

I grew up fishing 50-75 miles offshore in the gulf, in small boats, when conditions allowed.

I also scuba dive.

I also used to pilot small aircraft.

Discretion is the better part of staying alive.

moldy
12-02-2012, 11:54
Day 1 options, To go or stay next to Curtis's wood stove at Standing Bear and see if the weather predictions match weather actuals.(this would put him behind schedule) Another day 1 option, to add equipment that would allow hiking in deep snow.
(this would cost money and possibly take time). I don't know if he reached out for advice to the rangers.
Day 2 options, He awakes at Tri-corner shelter to 2 or more feet of snow. 3 options, keep going, go back or stay put. The option of bailing off the trail and go down hill is not realistic in this area and would have been a diasater. All 3 options are not much fun. To go back would be difficult, it's 15 miles with the first 6 or 7 with climbs before decending to lower altitudes and less snow. To go forward, with greater climbs is to face the reality of hiking in deep snow. Unless you have attempted this you may not really get just what it's like. Knee deep snow with waste deep drifts will slow you, exhaust you and you will get wet. 2 miles without the right clothing and equipment will take all day. To stay put in the shelter is not a bad option.
Day 3 options are the same as day 2. The option to proceede to the next shelter is not realistic and perhaps he is looking for rescue via the cell phone which works better at mountian tops. The option to stay put again will result it yet another very cold night in the shelter and if this snow lasts for an extended period of time his rescue may be a week away when his worried family members alert the rangers. By this day his wife is setting next to the phone waiting for a call from him in Gatlinburg.
I keep reading both here and trail journals about thru hikers starting in January and I wonder what lessons might be had by looking at this event. This is just my 2 cents worth, there are hikers out there way smarter than me, feel free to add to the list. Before entering the Great Smokey Mt National Park when snow is possible you should:
1. Be patient with the weather and trail conditions, be willing to wait it out before ever entering the park.
2. Seek the rangers advice.
3. Be willing to turn back.
4. Have sufficient supplys of food, fuel and water.
5. Have warm clothing and a warm bag.
6. Have a cell phone.
7. In an ememrgency, stay on the Appalachian Trail, never go off trail.
8. Tell someone when you enter the park and when to expect the next phone call.

Tipi Walter
12-02-2012, 12:39
I just read the section. He got very lucky. It's a good lesson for any of us as we go into the Mountains during the winter. Have extra food, fuel, clothing and the ability to keep dry and hunker down when needed. Not many escape routes from Tri-Corner knob Shelter.

From what I heard he called 911 from inside his tent. This I find incredible. Any credible winter backpacker would anticipate deep snow and blizzards and get their shelter squared away and sit out the drifts and storm. How long? 7 to 10 days if need be.

I recall the weather report predicting up to 2' of snow in high elevations north of there. I would have thought discretion might have been called for, regardless of local forecasts.

When a backpacker can't move thru that kind of snow, he should set up camp and hunker in for the duration.

this would be only one example of why section hiking is more appealing to me, besides the fact that i don't have 4 or 5 months to dedicate. I prefer to carry heavier for a week or so without worrying about re-supplying and having those few extra pounds of "when the unexpected crap hits the fan and i need to hunker down" in my Gregory pack. ;)

Exactly.

I see backpackers "pushing the limits" all the time during the winter because they not only refuse to carry the necessary amount of food for a sudden high elevation blizzard hunker, but they most often go out with really inadequate clothing layers and beefy in-camp warmth items.

I think it was all about pack weight in that he should of brought extra food and stayed put in his already-setup tent. Why bother the emt's and rescue crews with my pissant desires to bail when I should have enough crap to last me an unexpected 7 more days than I planned?? OR he should of gotten out his detailed trail map and bailed off the ridge and lost 3,000 feet to a valley where the snow will be 2 feet lower.

moldy
12-02-2012, 14:50
A daring high mountain helocopter rescue should not be plan B or plan C if things go bad on your hike.

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-02-2012, 17:59
As early as Sunday morning, October 28, Raysweather.com was calling for blizzard conditions and hurricane force winds the higher elevations along the NC-TN border by Tuesday-Wednesday. Raysweather is based in Boone, NC and is noted for good forecasting in the Blue Ridge and Black Mountains of western NC and southwest VA (Mount Rogers area).

I wonder exactly what forecast from what provider Solo made his decision based on. It would seem to have been a general lower elevation forecast with a few words thrown in related to "higher elevations" as opposed to a specialty forecast for the area he was headed in to. I was focused on coastal forecasts due to property interests along the NC and Chesapeake Bay coasts, and pretty much everything I clicked up noted expectations of severe conditions in southwest VA and along the NC-TN border.

As is normally the case when things go wrong, no single decision put Solo in the predicament he ended up in. Instead, the Law of Serial Consequences kicked in, with a vengeance.

AO

jeffmeh
12-02-2012, 20:45
Agreed. Most of these types of stories contain multiple errors in judgment. I do not claim to know all the specifics here. That said, hypothetically speaking, I'm travelling light on my thru-hike, entering the Smokies from the north, with snow in the forecast. I have 30 miles or so along the AT before I hit a road, and I will be getting above 6000 feet. Without the snow, I would expect to make the traverse in two days. I decide I am going to go for it. Is that a good judgment?

In retrospect, it was not. If faced with that same decision, a few questions come to mind:

Are there other points of egress that would allow me to bail out midway? Have I brought trail maps and compass to be able to bail out using them? Do I have adequate gear, food, fuel, clothing, and shelter, such that given the points of egress I can be confident that I can keep myself in a position where I can get myself out?

If not, then starting out is an error in judgment. Hiking through the snow to close to 6000 feet and to roughly the midpoint between known egresses is another error in judgment.

I'm glad it worked out for him, but he certainly could have managed the situation much better.

Leanthree
12-02-2012, 21:06
Can someone with experience in such events discuss what exactly you are waiting for when hunkered down waiting out a blizzard.

Obviously you are waiting for the snow to stop falling, but once it does, is there not still 3' of snow in front of you?

prain4u
12-02-2012, 22:00
Can someone with experience in such events discuss what exactly you are waiting for when hunkered down waiting out a blizzard.

Obviously you are waiting for the snow to stop falling, but once it does, is there not still 3' of snow in front of you?

I am going to assume that (in this scenario) the snow is falling pretty heavily and the wind is blowing.....This is why I would "hunker down":

1) THERE IS A VERY HIGH RATE OF PEOPLE GETTING DISORIENTED AND LOST WHEN THEY HIKE IN CONDITIONS WHEN THE SNOW IF FALLING HEAVILY AND The WIND IS BLOWING. You can't get hopelessly lost while you are hunkered down in a known location (and you won't get "more lost" if you hunker down after you are already lost in the storm).

2) You hunker down in order to wait for the snow to stop falling and wind to stop blowing--it improves visibility and makes it easier to see the trail and/or easier to find landmarks that would lead you out of the woods (or lead you to your destination). If you get lost, you can also back track over your own footprints. (When it is still windy and snow is still falling--your own tracks can get easily erased---greatly increasing your chances of getting lost).

3) If you are hunkered down properly, there is less chance of getting hypothermia than when you are out in the wind and heavily falling snow. You will probably have less chance of all of your clothing getting soaking wet if you hunker down until the snow stops falling.

4) It is often easier for rescuers to find you if you are not moving.

5) Hunkering down in a shelter means that you are at a KNOWN location--and it is easier to get your bearings once the storm clears. There is a greater possibility that rescuers will find you at a shelter (or that other hikers will wander through with supplies you can use). The shelter often provides protection on multiple sides from the wind and snow.

6) Hiking in deep snow burns many calories. Hiking in heavily falling snow and winds burns even more calories. Getting lost and having to hike substantially farther can burn a dangerous amount of calories. Hunker down until you can more likely hike to a safe place without getting lost.

Others probably have better reasons for hunkering down--but those are the first ideas that come to my mind. I grew up in a remote area of Northern Wisconsin--hiking, camping and hunting year around. I have camped in temperatures that were minus 20 degrees fahrenheit (and minus 40 degrees windchill).

Praha4
12-02-2012, 22:08
that's great advice for winter conditions. Thanks for posting!

Tipi Walter
12-02-2012, 22:11
As early as Sunday morning, October 28, Raysweather.com was calling for blizzard conditions and hurricane force winds the higher elevations along the NC-TN border by Tuesday-Wednesday. Raysweather is based in Boone, NC and is noted for good forecasting in the Blue Ridge and Black Mountains of western NC and southwest VA (Mount Rogers area).

I wonder exactly what forecast from what provider Solo made his decision based on. It would seem to have been a general lower elevation forecast with a few words thrown in related to "higher elevations" as opposed to a specialty forecast for the area he was headed in to. I was focused on coastal forecasts due to property interests along the NC and Chesapeake Bay coasts, and pretty much everything I clicked up noted expectations of severe conditions in southwest VA and along the NC-TN border.

As is normally the case when things go wrong, no single decision put Solo in the predicament he ended up in. Instead, the Law of Serial Consequences kicked in, with a vengeance.

AO

He probably had a little pocket radio which I find helps for Knoxville weather reports calling for incoming snow storms. Of course it's always much worse in the mountains and on the high ground but at least you know something's coming. Then you have a choice: Stay high or go down.

You're waiting for the snow depths to shrink and for the trail "snowdowns" to lose their snow and open up. Snowdowns are the rhodo and pines and firs which lean over onto the trail blocking progress. These snowdowns can be impossible to move thru, plus it's sometimes impossible to see the trail blazes or the trail. (Just check out Flyin' Brian's aborted AT thruhike of several years ago). Two years ago I was caught in a series of 3 blizzards coming in quick succession at 5,000 feet and spent 4 days at one spot, then managed to hump 1.5 miles to another spot and stayed there for 7 days. Why? The snow was too deep to hike in and my tent was too comfy to leave (and too encrusted in ice to pack easily).

Leanthree
12-02-2012, 22:52
that's great advice for winter conditions. Thanks for posting!

Agreed, thanks for posting. I should have phrased my question better...

You are hunkered down in the blizzard, that part is obvious. You wake up the next morning and the trail is now covered in 3' of snow. You would have 15 miles to a road in either direction, like Solo had so it would be dangerous/exhausting to move. You have ample food and such so you wait a few days at a shelter. But what makes you think that

The weather is clear and the snow isn't blowing, but it is cold so the snow isn't melting. What would cause hiking out to become any easier from this point forward other than someone else having hiked through and broken the trail (an eventuality that seems unlikely given the 3' of snow that just fell)?

Leanthree
12-02-2012, 22:53
That half-sentence at the end of the middle paragraph should read "but what makes you think that a clear weather day 4 days away would be any better than a clear weather day now?

Leanthree
12-02-2012, 22:57
You're waiting for the snow depths to shrink and for the trail "snowdowns" to lose their snow and open up. Snowdowns are the rhodo and pines and firs which lean over onto the trail blocking progress. These snowdowns can be impossible to move thru, plus it's sometimes impossible to see the trail blazes or the trail. (Just check out Flyin' Brian's aborted AT thruhike of several years ago). Two years ago I was caught in a series of 3 blizzards coming in quick succession at 5,000 feet and spent 4 days at one spot, then managed to hump 1.5 miles to another spot and stayed there for 7 days. Why? The snow was too deep to hike in and my tent was too comfy to leave (and too encrusted in ice to pack easily).

This explains a lot, thanks for posting. I've been trying to learn about winter backpacking and never would have thought about the slowdowns impeding progress. Good to learn in advance. Once I figure I have enough knowledge and money to gear up for a winter trip.

q-tip
12-03-2012, 07:06
I use the the basic priorities of :

1) Safe
2) Dry
3) Warm

As weather changes, so do the choices of gear and food......

moldy
12-03-2012, 10:36
I think that once you decide to stay put and wait it out, you are committed until conditions change. Even if that means no food and eating snow.

Tipi Walter
12-03-2012, 10:58
This explains a lot, thanks for posting. I've been trying to learn about winter backpacking and never would have thought about the slowdowns impeding progress. Good to learn in advance. Once I figure I have enough knowledge and money to gear up for a winter trip.

Going under "snowdowns" is exhausting and especially when wearing a 50 or 60 lb pack. It's done in a good rain jacket (to keep torso layers dry) by crawling on your hands and knees and belly thru deep snow and under low hanging brush. This is what a person looks like after such a crawl--

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065%5F123110%5F102547%5F593403.jpg

I think that once you decide to stay put and wait it out, you are committed until conditions change. Even if that means no food and eating snow.

Winter backpackers should always carry several extra days of food. Plus, sitting in a tent for a week is also a good time to melt snow and fast---and stop eating. A couple years ago I went on a trip and stayed next to Slickrock Creek for 3 days and was into my 7th day of fasting. We can go a fairly long time without food. But I don't recommend fasting in connection to backpacking. On my 9th day of fasting I had to climb 2,000 feet up the Stiffknee trail to Farr Gap and out but it was a hellish experience so save your fasting for the middle of a trip while in basecamp mode.

Malto
12-03-2012, 11:03
Time will also help consolidate the snow, making it easier to walk on/through.

Tom Murphy
12-03-2012, 13:59

Yes, you have enough food, water, fuel to melt snow, to wait it out. After the storm, you break out your snowshoes.

The difference is that by waiting out the storm, you can actually see where you are going. Snowshoeing in a storm causes you to sweat into your insulating layers if you have rain gear on OR causes the falling storm to melt into your insulating layers [you get plenty warm breaking trail].

If you are hiking in winter conditions you need more gear. You can still apply UL concepts, get the lightest snowshoes, lightest white gas stove, 900 down, etc. Solo was very lucky and made a number of poor decisions.