PDA

View Full Version : Golite Jam frame?

alverhootzt
12-02-2012, 07:44
Hello all. I'm researching backpacks and trying to decide between the ULA Circuit and Golite Jam, but am still not sure if the Jam has a frame or not. I've read positive answers on both sides. Any help from actual owners? Thanks.

moytoy
12-02-2012, 07:52
The Jam does not have a frame. There is a very light piece of foam in a pocket inside the pack next to your back. The idea is that you use something to stiffen the pack by using your sleeping pad or something like it. That's how I use mine.

Malto
12-02-2012, 08:16
As mentioned above there is a foam frame sheet. If you are going to use a foam pad for support I would eliminate the frame sheet and pocket. For a frameless pack there are three strategies to make them extremely comfortable.
- low base weights.
- support along your back. I have even used an inflated pad folded up against my back successful. I found the most important factor is a smooth, semi soft surface and keeping hard items like a cook pot from becoming a lump.
- another helpful strategy is to loose pack gear like you sleeping bag. Allow your gear to fill the volume, even the cracks and crevices. This will result in your pack becoming a singular brick vs a bag of independent lumps.

FarmerChef
12-02-2012, 10:25
I agree with those points as well. I use a tyvek ground cover folded to the width of my pack as the back support.

With regard to weight, I did that the Jam is comfortable to about 25 and then the straps begin to dig in as you approach 30 and beyond.

I've carried up to 35 pounds and was really feeling it until we ate our way down to a more comfortable weight. Once it gets down to about 20 and lower I usually undo the belt and just walk with the shoulder straps.

cmich
12-02-2012, 10:56
The Jam has a thin hard foam frame sheet like others have said. I also carry a cut down closed cell foam sit pad (blue walmart pad) that I also use for foot insulation in hammock that is cut to the same width/height as the Jam back wall. I stuff this down against the back panel of the pack for additional support. I would second that 30 lbs is the upper limit on what you would want to carry even with the second framesheet approach. one thing to note is that the hipbelts on the new Jams are not adjustable and tend to run very large... For a 34" waist and below they suck!

skinewmexico
12-02-2012, 23:12
I put blue foam in mine, and it helped a lot. I have an older Jam2 which was really light. What really helps is to steal a real estate (or whatever) sign made of coroplast, and cut it to fit the pocket. Then make sure you compression straps are pulled tight to make the pack stiff. In the name of full disclosure, I will admit that I have a ULA Circuit, and I haven't used my Jam since I got it.

MuddyWaters
12-02-2012, 23:28
I think, if you have to craft a sturdier frame for your pack, you may have the wrong pack.
Very common for Jam users to post about making stays, framesheets, etc.

I observed a female thru-hiker with a Jam earlier this yr in the Roan Highlands. It looked about like it was packed with a beachball inside. Hanging low on her back, rounded shape, ALL the wt on her shoulderstraps

Never having tried one myself, my impression is that many using it dont know how. Seems you really need a CCF pad used for a frame, and need to know how to pack it.

The problem with doing this in my experience , is a UL pack is most comfortable when packed LOOSE, so it conforms to back.
That cannot be done well with wt > 15-20 lbs in my experience.

A "burrito style" pack job can allow it to support more, but produces a pack that does not nest into your back and conform to it, its not as comfortable.

You can remove the stays, and foam back panel from a Circuit too. Mine weighs 26oz with items like that removed.
But, at wts > 15 lbs, its more comfortable to have them. Its what makes the circuit such a loved pack by so many.

The big Al stay in a circuit keeps the pack in the shape of your back so it fits well (bend this stay to match your back)
The pack will ride in the small of your back with less tension on the belt when it nests in there nicely.
More comfortable, more supportive.

Dogwood
12-03-2012, 02:07
Hello all. I'm researching backpacks and trying to decide between the ULA Circuit and Golite Jam, but am still not sure if the Jam has a frame or not. I've read positive answers on both sides. Any help from actual owners? Thanks.

First, with companies like ULA, GoLite, MLD, SMD, GG, Zpacks, etc you are dealing with companies focused on UL gear which includes applying UL principles in their design approaches. They assume MOST users of their gear will apply some level of UL hiking knowledge. However, some of these companies include in their backpack line-ups UL gear for non hard core UL users or for those not ready to fully adopt the most extreme UL gear or extreme UL hiking styles.

Second, compare oranges to oranges. You might best be able to do that by agreeing to compare like volume backpacks and take it from there. The GoLite Jam comes in different volumes. For a fair comparison compare the ULA Circuit at 4200 cubic inches, about 69 L, with the GoLite Jam 2 at 70 L size, NOT the GoLite Jam 2 50L size for example.

Next, be aware that both packs are rated for loads up to 35 lbs.

Ok, now the fun starts. The two packs you are considering carry the load differently. The ULA Circuit has a internal frame, a delrin suspension hoop and dense foam pad. No other frame is needed to carry, control, and transfer a 35 lb load. Some ULA Circuit users remove the dense foam pad to save wt and still carry the load comfortably. Still, others remove all the internal frame/suspension and use something else, like a sleeping pad or aluminum ferrules, etc for suspension and load handling.

The only frame the GoLite Jam 70 L comes with is a dense foam pad, which IMO, isn't sufficient for comfortably carrying, controlling, and transferring 35 lb loads. Am I saying the ULA Circuit is better in this regard. NO! The GoLite Jam 70 L uses a different UL design approach. It expects users who carry 35 lbs or near that load to employ ther sleeping pads or equvalent, doing double duty, for additional frame and load carrying support. Some users, like myself, will take the stock foam pad out to save wt, just like in the ULA Circuit, and just go with their own virtual frame like a sleeping pad. Notice the UL philosophy/hiking style/principles coming into greater play with regard to the load carrying ability of the off-the-shelf GoLite Jam 70 L compared to the off-the-shelf ULA Circuit pack?

Now, you can look at price, wt of each pack, other features, durabilty, etc of each pack and decide which one is right for your hiking style.

alverhootzt
12-04-2012, 11:41
Wow. Thanks everyone for the informative responses. You've made my decision a lot clearer.

lemon b
12-09-2012, 10:42
I have a Jam 50. Only use it for weekend trips. Use an altomas 65 for longer hikes. So I guess I'd go with the ULA unless your just doing short trips.