PDA

View Full Version : planning 2006 NB thru hike..keep or give up my apt??

DavidNH
05-22-2005, 11:26
hello,

I am currently planning for a northbout AT thru hike starint in spring 0f 2006.

I am looking for advice on what is best course of action:

1) Keep my rented apartement.. which means I have to continue to pay rent though it would be unoccupied (assuming the lease permits this...subletting is not allowed) but would have a place to return to after the hike or even during if necessary (ie not finishing, injury etc). On other hand might make it easier to quit.

2) end the lease. Possessions go into storage..still costs money but a lot less than renting. I would not have a place to return to during hike which would make it harder to quit (a good thing!) but if I get injured...would have to impose on brother. also I wouldnt be tied into a lease after hike. So I could live somewhere else!

Have any of you been in this situation? what are your thoughts?

In a way I feel like most folks who do long distance hiking..either live at home with parents or own their own place or are retired.. but I think that life is too short to wait till I own my own place..if that ever happens.

david

SGT Rock
05-22-2005, 11:32
Put it into storage. One less thing to worry about and it is like burning your ships on the shore - harder to turn back.

Just do some shake down hikes prior too the thru to be sure you want to hike for that long BEFORE you go through all that ;)

chris
05-22-2005, 17:54
If you are going to do a 5-6 month hike, I'd put things in storage. In 2003 my lease worked out nicely and I did this. In 2004, my lease also worked nicely and I did this. This summer, my lease is not working out nicely and I have to pay for three months of un-occupation.

Also, consider how much you like to move and if you really like where you are living. If it is a gem, and you hate moving, consider just biting the bullet and paying the cash.

The Solemates
05-23-2005, 08:52
Id say storage is the way to go as well. Its not like its hard to find an apt to rent once you get back. You could porbably move in within a couple days of your return.

Ender
05-23-2005, 14:03
I'd say storage. Another option to consider would be to sublet your place while you're away. You'd have to find someone you trust, but that way you'd have an apartment when you got off the trail. Here in NYC it's really easy to sublet... dunno about where you are.

DavidNH
05-23-2005, 16:28
I'd say storage. Another option to consider would be to sublet your place while you're away. You'd have to find someone you trust, but that way you'd have an apartment when you got off the trail. Here in NYC it's really easy to sublet... dunno about where you are.
Unfortunately my lease specifically forbids sub letting any portion of my apartment!
David

Pencil Pusher
05-23-2005, 18:49
If storage means mattress and furniture, sell that stuff or give it away and store your personal belongings with a friend or relative. Provided you aren't a pack rat, that shouldn't be much if you have an apartment. Or just compare how much you'd pay in storage rental to what is being stored to figure if it's worth it. If you can afford to,(and really, really like your place) keep paying rent while out and aboot. But if it was me, I'd end the lease and chock it up to a change in lifestyle.

Ender
05-24-2005, 12:15
Unfortunately my lease specifically forbids sub letting any portion of my apartment!
David

Bummer. then I'd say ditch the apartment and start fresh when you get back. You'll probably end up crashing with friends/fam for a few weeks when you return, but it'll save you tons of cash that you can use on your hike. :)

"ME & U"
05-24-2005, 12:38
We kept our apt and paid up for the 6 months. It's an insane place with an insane price so for us it was worth it. Next time out we're history! Fresh start someplace else...
I guess it all depends on the #s and if you want to still live there. It's alot of cake man! I don't care if it's a cheap place or not, it's still alot. Think of it this way; would you spend that amount on another hike or more? We surely will!
Storage is a good idea but we plan to sell it all off and go.:clap
BTW, we already did the kid thing and they're on their own now so adios!