PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a hiking partner in the Northeast for section hiking on the AT-is it you?

clash9
12-02-2012, 12:31
Hello everyone. I started backpacking the AT about 3 years on and off. My goal is to complete the entire trail one day. I completed Georgia all at once and other that that I've just done small sections in Pa, Va and MD here and there. Nothing that adds up to any real signifigant milage. I've gotten distracted by work, other hobbies and other trails etc...But I want to recommit myself to chipping away at the goal. I hiked near Gettysburg last weekend and it really got me recharged and excited to get back into it....So, since I don't have a partner I called a few of the shuttle operators and inquired about rates. Well, it became apparant really quickly that you could waste alot of time and money doing it that way. Just not feesible, especially for short weekend trips. So I decided to post this to see if there is anyone who is compatible and would like to perhaps team up. My goal at present is to complete, Pa, MD, NJ, NY, all the mid-atlantic in small chuncks, a weekend here and there and some longer trips when our schedules allow it. Even jumping into New England or South for a longer trip would be cool (The 100 mile wilderness)?(The Smokies)?
I am 43 6'1 215, recently divorced and I live 30 miles west of Philadelphia. I am an avid outdoorsman. I like to fish, ride dual sport motorcycles, camp, hunt, kayak etc...basically any type of adventure. I'm not a skydiver or bungee guy though...I have my limits. My wife would do some of these things with me, but she sort of grew away from it, while I kept moving ever closer. One of my favorite quotes is "An Adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminisence" Marco Polo
I am employed as an advertising consultant in automotive advertising (if feel like I'm writing a personal ad here, but I figure the more info the better). I like all kinds of music especially, Texas, bluegrass etc...I like microbrewries, craft beer (it would be cool to meet someone who likes to stop after a hike and wet their whistle). I like civil war history, football, photography and I love the Appalachian mountains. I am just drawn to them. I've been out west, I've been to the desert, but there is something about Apalachia that just moves me...The moutain laurel, mossy rocks along babbling streams, the mist, the pines and the sense that you are in a really old place, a place thats seen alot ot things come and go. It really helps me to put life in perspective sometimes. Above all I like adventure, I like travel, I like the unknown, I like walking down a valley through a moutain laurel tunnel shrouded in mist 30 miles from nowhere with everything you have, everything you need to survive and eat and drink, right there on your back. Challenge. Getting out of the 21st century comfort zone.
I am a medium-paced hiker, I like to take a picture here and there...pretty laid back. I wanted to post this just to test the waters to see if there were any like-minded people out there looking for a similar situation. Whats nice is that we wouldn't necessarily need to live close to each other. But the essential element is of course having 2 vehicles-a drop off and one waiting at the end. As I said before with shuttles, it gets real tough and expensive trying to figure all that out. The logistics become a real hassle. So, maybe you and I both find a hiking partner, fix that problem and hopefully find someone we really like and enjoy hiking with. Thats my goal. Email me if you want and we can talk. [email protected]. Brad "These are the good old days"

:rolleyes::-?Thanks for Reading.

Dogwood
12-02-2012, 13:09
That's quite a good personal resume but unless you find a way to lose about 65 lbs and get a sex change you are diisqualified as my hiking partner. I'm looking for a outdoorswoman who will haul my pack while on the trail, is good at gathering firewood, preferably college educated, and owns a healthfood store.