PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi Gap parking

Smokin' Joe
12-02-2012, 12:43
WE are in the planning mode of a Neel's Gap to North Carolina hike next week. A good buddy of mine wants to come but may have to meet us at Unicoi Gap, leaving his car there. I was wondering of the safety of this plan? Any realtime experience in the area? He dosent have a Lexus or Mercedes, but its not a beater either....lol. Might there be a Hostel in the area that he caould park at that would shuttle?
Also, any opinions on the hunting situation in this area at this time of year?
Thanks in advance, you guys are always very helpful!!!

Smokin' Joe

"I went to the woods because i wanted to live deliberately"- Thoreau

Train Wreck
12-02-2012, 13:16
706-896-4121
Ron Haven has a motel in Hiawassee and does shuttles.

daddytwosticks
12-02-2012, 14:38
I've parked there on several occasions and have never had any issues. The parking area is usually pretty full when I parked there, but this is a slow time of year. No info about hunting - sorry. :)

Smokin' Joe
12-02-2012, 14:56
706-896-4121
Ron Haven has a motel in Hiawassee and does shuttles.

Thanks , i talked to the motel and a shuttle is cheap, Hiawassee is less out of the way that

Helen for pickup. Very viable option.

Train Wreck
12-02-2012, 15:17
Thanks , i talked to the motel and a shuttle is cheap, Hiawassee is less out of the way that

Helen for pickup. Very viable option.

yeah, Unicoi Gap is prolly only around 12 miles or so out of Hiawassee and you don't have to deal with the traffic around Helen. We are down around that area pretty often, and I've driven by that parking area numerous times on the way to Clayton, GA. There's always at least one or two cars parked there, and there seems to be no serious problems with vandalism. But it's worth the additional peace of mind to use Ron's shuttle. Have fun, post pics when you get back :)

R1TenderFoot
12-02-2012, 15:25
I've left my truck there plenty of times, longest was a week (last year). Last month hiked from the NOC to Unicoi Gap, heard plenty of gunshots. This time of year I always wear something with hunter orange just to be sure.

FatMan
12-02-2012, 15:32
Any concerns about vandalism at GA AT parking lots are usually over blown. I have left my car at just about every parking area with access to the AT and have never had any problems what so ever. Can it happen? Sure. But it is rare and should not be a concern.

generoll
12-02-2012, 16:20
+1 on what Fatman says, after all, this is Georgia and not Virginia.

Ghost
02-12-2013, 18:30
There is a report on Trail journal forum today that a car in that parking lot was vandalized-broken window and light.

hikingshoes
02-12-2013, 19:55
We just hiked that section left one vehicle at Woody Gap and Uniocoi Gap an never had any problems.HS