PDA

View Full Version : Day Hikes

chickadeeME
12-02-2012, 17:04
My parents are very nervous about my thru hike in 2013. I think one way to make them feel better about it is to invite them along! For probably a day hike. Any recommendations? Cool towns worth visiting? They aren't in the greatest hiking shape, so nothing too difficult. Thanks!

moldy
12-02-2012, 17:12
If you are a NOBO you will be heading North from Georgia in the early Spring so the only real opportunity will be down South. If that is the case I would pick some good weather and spend a couple days in the SNP. If you are SOBO you will have better options. Perhaps Harpers Ferry to the North.

Trillium
12-02-2012, 17:44
On the way home from our recent vacation in Florida we visited my husband's sister and her family in Roanoke. So, I took the opportunity to get him familiarized w/ the AT by having dinner at the Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba on our first evening there, then hiking up to McAfee's Knob and back the next day. There's a combination BP gas station/ Subway on the way to the trailhead parking lot that we stopped at to pick up a footlong sub for lunch. Great dayhike!

On the way home my husband said he would like to go back as soon as we could make the time to go to the Homeplace Restaurant!

Datto
12-02-2012, 19:00
You could have them hike with you south on a day hike from Damascus, VA -- that way, they can meet you, if you want them to, in Damascus during your thru-hike. Have them come to Trail Days (usually the weekend after Mother's Day) and you hike into Damascus for Trail Days (starting your northbound thru-hike at Springer Mountain on April 10th will likely put you hiking into Damascus, VA for Trail Days on the weekend of Trail Days). You'll have already covered the miles just south of Damascus so you'll know the territory and can possibly point out items of interest they'd enjoy on their day hike with you. Maybe parks some hidden treats along the way when you hike into Damascus, then have your parents discover the treats on their day hike with you south from Damascus.

That way, if the weather is bad, you can still meet them in the festive atmosphere of Trail Days that they might also enjoy.

You'll need to make motel reservations early for them since Trail Days fills up pretty fast (they could also get a regular motel room out at Atkins, VA for their overnight stay and then they could just drive the 15 miles or so into Damascus).

You of course will want to remain in Damascus during Trail Days (rather than be in a hotel room with your parents) since that's where all your trail-folk friends will be that you've come to know along the Trail.

Datto

johnnybgood
12-02-2012, 22:07
I like the Damascus-Trail Days idea also(week after Mother's Day weekend),but I'd suggest hiking the Virginia Creeper Trail going southbound into Damascus. They can also rent bikes at Adventure Damascus and get shuttled to the top of Whitetop Mtn. for a leisurely bicycle ride back into town.

The tip on room reservations is good advice and getting a room in nearby Marion , Va might be a good alternative to Damascus. Is the Virginia House Inn in Marion still open ?

Blissful
12-07-2012, 22:53
Hikers like to meet up with relatives in Shenandoah and also in Harper's Ferry.
Maryland is not that bad to hike either.