PDA

View Full Version : Light, Cheap Tent For Georgia Section Hike in April

piperston
12-02-2012, 20:35
Planning a Georgia section hike this April (end of month). Thinking about picking up a Eureka Solitaire tent for the trip. Anyone have any thoughts about this tent? For under $100 from Campmor, looks like a good option. I know there are plenty of other options but want to keep it under $150 max for tent. Any thoughts about this or other options under $150?

MuddyWaters
12-02-2012, 23:35
SMD skyscape scout, $125 . 34 oz , needs to use trekking poles for support. It is the best lightwt deal out there. Its a UL tent design, built with conventional polyester fabric to be inexpensive.

jbwood5
12-03-2012, 13:06
Eco Refuge tents were on sale at the Clymb recently (I haven't checked in a few days). These usually go for about $200 but they had them for about $120. This is one of the tents where you use your hiking poles to hold it up. It is relatively light for that reason and has plenty of room, but is definitely not free standing (forget tent platforms). Both front and back open and have a vestibule. Because you need guy strings, it uses more ground space than a free standing tent.

tammons
12-06-2012, 11:26
Forget the Solitare unless you want to do some work on it.
The poles will most likely break on day 1-3, fiberglass and bent too tight, so you would want to replace the poles with Alum, but they need to be pre-bent into curves.
Cant sit up in it. Its basically a bivy tent. Its pretty long but no outside vestibule.

The Spitfire is a decent tent if you are under 6'. You can sit up in it, but again no vestibule.

Personally I would look for a used Contrail or other TT or the one mentioned above.

nitegaunt
12-06-2012, 11:59
I have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. It's pretty light, cheap, simple, and durable.

Drybones
12-06-2012, 12:30
Forget the Solitare unless you want to do some work on it.
The poles will most likely break on day 1-3, fiberglass and bent too tight, so you would want to replace the poles with Alum, but they need to be pre-bent into curves.
Cant sit up in it. Its basically a bivy tent. Its pretty long but no outside vestibule.

The Spitfire is a decent tent if you are under 6'. You can sit up in it, but again no vestibule.

Personally I would look for a used Contrail or other TT or the one mentioned above.

If you have the moneyget a Tarptent Notch, 26 oz, if not, the Eureka Spitfire 1 is a great value, I found one for about $80 on sale, it has two vestubules and I believe the new models now have two doors, which is needed. I'm 6'1"+ and slept with a 108 lb doberman in this tent, lots of room for a solo. IMO the Solitare would be a mistake.

Tinker
12-06-2012, 15:17
You will be wanting to sit up from time to time. The Spitfire is a better tent from that perspective. LL Bean used to make a solo lightweight tent. I haven't checked there recently.

Here: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72836?feat=0-ppxs&dds=y

max patch
12-06-2012, 15:29
I used a tent that you couldn't sit up in on my thru. I intentionally chose it as it was the lightest I could find. It is a real PITA changing clothes in such a tent.

bubonicplay
12-06-2012, 23:55
I had a solitaire, did NOT like it!!!

Do you use trekking poles? There are a lot of UL options out there, you might as well get the best right now and save yourself time and money.