PDA

View Full Version : Kids on the trail

GABuckeye311
12-02-2012, 20:35
What is the age you all have taken your kids on the trail...if you have any?

My son is 6 and very well behaved and just enjoys hanging out with me. I think it is time I share one of my passions with him but want to make sure he would be ok. We have camped in the back yard just to get him used to it. He recently ran a 5K with me (44 minutes) and has climbed Stone Mountain many times with me. I think I already know the answer and that is that he is ready now. I am just not sure why I am aprehensive about taking him on the trail.

I thought about doing an overnight trip from Springer to Stover Creek Shelter and back the next day. I think thats a good slow trip to see how he does.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks,
GABuckeye

globetruck
12-02-2012, 21:32
I started taking my son on dayhikes and geo caching when he was about 3. At that age, he liked the treasures and thought that making hot chocolate in the woods was cool. And I always carried an extra cache for him to "find" for when he started getting antsy.

Now, he's 6.5 years old, loves hiking and camping. He's walked 7 miles in a day but that was pushing it too much.

My advice: bring plenty of candy, snacks, and games. Be prepared to take a ton of breaks looking for rocks and sticks. I let him carry a small pocket knife and whittle sticks, and he loves his "big kid" knife (properly supervised, of course).

I'm also teaching him how to set up camp, start a fire, and use our Spot in case if emergency. I've taken him fairly deep in the woods - no cell phone reception. Doing that requires planning and prep.

For me, I like the hiking and walking - stopping to set up camp is something that I do when I'm out of energy or daylight. But for him, the tent and campfire are the coolest parts of the day.

just dad
12-02-2012, 21:41
I started backpacking with my kids when my son was 7 and my daughter was 9. My only regret is that I wish we started sooner.

swjohnsey
12-02-2012, 21:41
Wish I had a six year old right now.

Alligator
12-02-2012, 21:50
We started around 5-6 months for dayhikes first overnight was at 2. Bring food you know he will eat that way you don't have to carry it out.

FarmerChef
12-02-2012, 22:01
My wife and I started taking the kids out in a backpack when they were old enough to ride. First in front, then on my shoulders (Kelty kiddy pack). When my son turned 5 we started trying out small hikes first (around 6 miles with ice cream at the end) then graduated to 11 miles (with ice cream at the end). A few month later, we did 26 miles and started to average in the teens for our overnight hikes. My son at 5 (now 7) easily has the most energy of any of us and has done 100 miles in 5 days with plenty of gas left in the tank after we were all spent.

Each kid is different and I don't at all want to suggest that miles are important. As another hiker once told us, "Remember, it's smiles not miles that counts." We like to have goals for each day and treats/"surprises" as well. As each kid ages, we present them with new challenges and responsibilities and allow them to share more and more in the decision making aspects of each day (where to stop for snacks, when to have lunch, should we hike into town or keep going ahead) as well as the "cool" stuff (mostly fire and sharp things :p).

I've also taken my Tiger cub scouts (1st grade boys) out on hikes that wore their parents out but were invigorating for the boys. The key there was to have a destination we hiked to. For instance, the first was to Harpers Ferry to get ice cream at the Swiss Miss and walk along the train tracks (primo for boys). The second trip was with the entire pack of boys (1st through 5th grade boys) to the overpass of I71 on the AT. When you get to the overpass and pump your first 80% of cars/trucks/wienermobiles will honk their horns for you. They didn't care that it was a mile straight up hill out of the campground and then another half a mile to the bridge. Nor did they remember much of the hike back to the campground.

This is only my opinion and experience, so please take it with a grain of salt, but I encourage others who hike with kids not to be afraid of making the hike too challenging. Give the kids an opportunity to challenge themselves and let them surprise you. If the task is too much, you can help them out. Either way the sense of pride they will get trying it out on their own and often succeeding where we, as parents, might think they would fail, is priceless in building their character and sense of "can do" attitude. That said, make sure at a young age to keep it fun. When it stops being fun, you know you've reached their threshold and/or need to mix in something unusual or stimulating to reawaken their imagination and excitement.

Hope that helps!

trailwobbles
12-02-2012, 22:05
I have no children, so I can't comment on how a child would do backpacking, but as a hiker I love seeing them on the trail, their enthusiasm is infectious :)

The other side of it is however, that they remain respectful to the other hikers. I was out on a local 16 mile loop this weekend when a pack of boy scouts went bounding up the ridge screaming and laughing, just at the moment when I had focused my binoculars on what I THOUGHT was a woodpecker, only to have it fly off as soon as the scouts were in ear shot. That was not enjoyable. I also watched one of the boys run after someone's dog that was not leashed...not safe.

Needless to say it was a busy day on the trail ;-)

I'm sure your boy is very well mannered!

shelb
12-03-2012, 01:38
All kids are different. My youngest had no problem carrying his fair share (and then some) when he was 11 years old. At 6, I only had him carry his own clothing.

My middle son, built differently, did not carry much weight until he was 13.

Note: by fair share - I mean carrying 15-20% of their weight. However, remember, each child is built differently. One might have more weight, where another one has more muscle. My youngest plowed through SNP in 10 days carrying a 25-30 pound pack, and he was 5'4" and 130# at the time. He would have liked to have covered more miles/day than we did!

Mags
12-03-2012, 02:52
This past summer. I joined my good friend for his son's first backpacking trip.

Avery refers to me as his Uncle, so I felt honored to introduce the little guy to backpacking.
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-the-next-generation

The following helped a lot:

1) A short route
2) Plenty to do on the way (waterfalls, lakes, cool views, rocks) with plenty of stops for him to enjoy it.
3) A beautiful campsite
4) Packed in LOTS of treats (cold cokes, Snicker bars, made some slushies)..stuff he normally is not allowed to eat at home
5) Avery had a small backpack. He felt like he was being like the adults this way. He carried his own clothes, snacks and water. Josh (his dad) and I split up everything else (tent, stove, Avery's sleeping bag, food for the other meals). So Avery had a pack minus the weight.
6) He had the permit and lead the way! :)
7) We chose an area a bit of a drive away so it felt like an adventure. 2-3 hrs of driving and a breakfast, too!
8) Some books to read at night.

Worked for Avery (who was not-quite-six). Avery had lots of day hikes and camping prior to then.

(I also packed in some treats for Josh and I... :) )

GABuckeye311
12-03-2012, 11:14
All,

Thanks so much for your advice and guidance. I guess in a way I thought some may say "Keep young kids off the trail!" I should have preffaced my post by saying that I am sure eveyone thinks their child is well behaved :) i dont want to sound like the "Homer" dad that thinks his kid is perfect. My son really does love nature and the wonders of our surroundings and I think he would appreciate that there is a trail leading through the woods that allows us the freedom to walk it. I think I am going to try some day hikes while it is still cold out and get him used to walking thru the woods and maybe break in some new boots!

I will update with some pics of our trips.

Thanks again!

GABuckeye

Namaste
12-03-2012, 12:17
I started dayhikes with my daughters in the baby backpack when they were wee ones. We always found something to keep them interested in the hike. Favorite hikes were on the Long Trail in Vermont (my brother lived up there) where we would visit the ice caves during the hottest summer days. One daughter still remembers her first overnight at 9 with my cousin and her daughter who were visiting from Germany during Easter. It was last minute that just the 4 of us would go, gathering whatever equipment we had since of course they didn't bring anything over. It was the AT in NJ, Easter was early that year and we had snow all night. We woke up to winter wonderland (felt more like Christmas). I did manage to hide Easter eggs in the woods for them to hunt. I guess the key ingredient is keep up enthusiasm, make it fun for all and rest when needed. My daughter is now 25 and still talks about that trip.

FarmerChef
12-03-2012, 12:22
Love the story! Those kinds of memories can last a lifetime. Well done!

We hiked in Easter eggs on our Spring hike last year as well. Surprised the kids to wake up in the shelter and see Easter candy on the picnic table and then have an egg hunt in the woods right around the shelter. Fun is key for kids to enjoy hiking.

magic_game03
12-03-2012, 16:40
I don't have kids but I did take my 6 month old dachshunds on a 3-day 45 mile trip on the JMT. Started on the access road to VVR and swung south down to muir ranch and out the access road there. I make them walk till they drop. the boy can do about 15 miles but my little girls legs are only about 3 inches long and she can only do about 10 miles before I gotta throw her in the pack.

On a side note. while in Wyoming on the CDT last year I saw a lot of families that had kids that were only five or six years old with small packs on. most of the kids that were eight or older had full packs on. This was often quite a ways from any trailhead and the kids didn't really seem to mind. Tough kids. Also interesting is none of them carried those big bowie knives that you always see teen boys or grown men cary on the AT.

dink
12-03-2012, 21:42
I did a lot of hiking with my sons from the time they were old enough to sit up in a baby carrier. Now the grandkids have been hiking and camping with me since they were each just 3 months old. The 2 1/2 year old can walk all day if I let her, the 5 1/2 year old gets bored just walking so I let him try to find birds he sees in the guide book while we are walking...he does best multitasking. They both love the camping part because they love the hammocks!!

tiptoe
12-04-2012, 10:28
I've taken my 3-year-old granddaughter on short hikes (1 mile plus) at the local park, and she loves it. We are planning an overnight for next summer. Mags hit the high points: make it a discovery trip, which isn't hard, especially when you take a city kid to the woods. There are many teaching moments as well, and these can include courtesy and respect for other hikers, nature study, and so on. Hiking is a also a great time for extended conversation.

FarmerChef
12-04-2012, 11:10
I've taken my 3-year-old granddaughter on short hikes (1 mile plus) at the local park, and she loves it. We are planning an overnight for next summer. Mags hit the high points: make it a discovery trip, which isn't hard, especially when you take a city kid to the woods. There are many teaching moments as well, and these can include courtesy and respect for other hikers, nature study, and so on. Hiking is a also a great time for extended conversation.

Don't tell my 12 year old but that's one of the biggest reasons we do it. For some reason, you can talk much more openly on the trail than at home and my wife and I use these opportunities to impart wisdom to our kids as well as to learn what's "really" going on in the older one's lives ;)

tiptoe
12-04-2012, 11:14
Very true, FarmerChef. A friend of mine always said that the best time for talking to adolescents was while driving. She thought it was because you weren't looking them in the eye. The absence of face to face made it more possible to talk freely, and that's true of hiking as well.

trailwobbles
12-04-2012, 11:17
LOL I'm 25 years old and my father jumps to go hiking with me each time i mention a day trip. Must have something to do with the "talk" thing ;-)

max patch
12-04-2012, 11:20
Consider car camping at Red Top Mtn SP or the COE campsites on Lake Allatoona. Nice hiking at red Top.

FS42 to Stover or Springer are good ideas. Could also park at Hickory Flatt cemetary and camp there or hike to Long Creek Falls to camp. Drive to Gooch Gap and hike to Gooch Mtn Shelter. Plenty of options for short hikes in GA.

The Solemates
12-04-2012, 12:27
What is the age you all have taken your kids on the trail...if you have any? Thanks,
GABuckeye

Our kids started in utero. My wife regularly backpacked while pregnant. We took my daughter on her first dayhike when she was 6 weeks old to the mount rogers area. We took her on her first multi-night trip when she was 10 weeks old, and this was in the daks with 20 degree temps and snow (I cant recommend that, but we managed okay). my son was the same way when he was an infant. we've been taking them ever since, and we got #3 on the way now.

point is....everyone has opinions...but ours is that its never too early. its just second nature to us...a family hobby. now, our trips arent long. we generally hike 2-5 miles, set up a base camp, maybe explore from there. i carry everything for the whole family; my pack usually weighs about 50 pounds for an overnight trip....but I only hike 2-5 miles and its at a little kids pace with lots of breaks. we do this so that my wife can keep her hands free to carry a little one if needed.

thats family trips....I also regularly take my 3 year old son on backpacking trips with just him and I. we also have a lot of woods behind our house and we camp out there regularly - at least once every 4-6 weeks. they really enjoy an outside fire with smores. thats a little easier to manage and something you can do frequently - and its a huge deal to kids.

bottom line - cater to them.

FlyPaper
12-04-2012, 13:13
Took my two sons out when they were five. The youngest had just turned 5. We did 4 miles per day for two days (and spent two nights out). and he carried a backpack with only his sleeping bag. It was warm weather, so he had a very light sleeping bag.

It was a rocky stretch of trail and he literally fell 30 or 40 times. I had another adult with me for safety.

The section between Springer Parking and Stover Creek would be a good choice, and your son would enjoy seeing Stover Creek.

The walk up Springer Mtn and back down is rocky.

What is the age you all have taken your kids on the trail...if you have any?

My son is 6 and very well behaved and just enjoys hanging out with me. I think it is time I share one of my passions with him but want to make sure he would be ok. We have camped in the back yard just to get him used to it. He recently ran a 5K with me (44 minutes) and has climbed Stone Mountain many times with me. I think I already know the answer and that is that he is ready now. I am just not sure why I am aprehensive about taking him on the trail.

I thought about doing an overnight trip from Springer to Stover Creek Shelter and back the next day. I think thats a good slow trip to see how he does.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks,
GABuckeye

max patch
12-04-2012, 13:54
If he can hike up Stone Mtn that he can do any of the short hikes mentioned. I mentioned the car camping ideas earlier because at that age my kids enjoyed the camping more than the hiking. One last tip; my kids like throwing balls around. Depending on where we were going, if appropriate, I took a nerf football or baseball and gloves along. Hickory Flatts was good for that.

Bati
12-04-2012, 23:34
The youngest person I've been on a multi-day backpacking trip with was 11 months at the time. We had 3 adults to split the weight, since the child added quite a bit to the load, and shuttled cars so we could resupply and dump diapers daily.
It worked quite well, and it's the only time I've ever maxed out the carrying capacity of my terraplane pack. An extra sleeping bag or two certainly helped take up space. For a child carrier, a five point suspension is a must.
We did low mileage so that we could allow for a lot of play time, but you'll have to do even less miles as the child gets older and walks the whole way on their own. For younger children, plan for about one mile per day for every year old the child is, assuming the child is walking the entire way. I tend to play it much safer with younger ones- car shuttles not only for resupply but also so that we could get help sooner if we needed it, hiking with a larger group (3 adults, just in case someone breaks a leg and more help with the load), carrying a cell phone (this particular trip was the first time I ever did; it was back when pay phones still existed), selecting a trail where water supplies, legal camping places and possible exit/road access points are frequent. As the child ages, you can worry less and head to more difficult or remote places, but do watch for exposed areas such as rock scrambles. A five year may scramble up the rocks fine but have trouble getting down.