PDA

View Full Version : making hammock insulation (pod)

titanium_hiker
05-22-2005, 16:32
as per this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8942&page=1&pp=20
and risk's travelpod
http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

I have decided that my next hammock project will be a peapod type thing.

SO:
any general places I can get down? Note this is not asking for links to thruhikers or speer hammocks, shipping is chaotic to Bolivia. Like what non-hiker places use down?

baffles- do I need them and how do I make them? and what do I do with them?

Fabric - what sort of fabric shoud I use? I'm thinking the bottom should be splash proof- or perhaps I should also make a separate waterproof thingy (hammock pants?) or should I use a different inside/outside fabric for the pod.

Size- any specifics or just regarding the hammock welcome.

thanks in advance.

Just Jeff
05-22-2005, 17:17
Like what non-hiker places use down?
Most non-hiking places that use down probably won't have the quality you'll be looking for. Is shipping really that bad? For a quality piece, it might be a good idea to wait on quality materials. Otherwise, maybe you could find a sleeping bag down there and remove the down? If you're willing to use lesser quality (read less loft, not as compressible, heavier), try a pillow manufacturer or a factory that makes comforters and such.

baffles- do I need them and how do I make them? and what do I do with them?
You'll definitely need them for a PeaPod. Use noseeum mesh...if you can't find it and don't mind the weight, regular nylon can work. The baffles don't have to be downproof. Check out how to make a down quilt, then modify that: http://www.newsushi.net/quilt.html

Fabric - what sort of fabric shoud I use? I'm thinking the bottom should be splash proof- or perhaps I should also make a separate waterproof thingy (hammock pants?) or should I use a different inside/outside fabric for the pod.
DWR. Or something else that's breathable, downproof, lightweight. Not sure what they have down there on the market, though. Regular ripstop isn't downproof so your down will leak out.

I wouldn't use non-breathable material anywhere on the Pod. Ray Garlington says he finds condensation between his feather bag and sil undercover in the mornings, so if your bottom layer is made from sil, the condensation will stay in your down. If you want waterproof and can't get breathable, make a separate cover, IMO.

Size- any specifics or just regarding the hammock welcome.
Why not use what Risk and Speer have on their websites?

titanium_hiker
05-22-2005, 18:05
thanks Jeff.

trust me about the shipping. If I really really really need to get it shipped I need to wait for someone to visit. And then it needs to be something small- it is THEIR luggage after all.

breathablity- thanks for the warning.

down- how much? (rough idea)

re Risk and Speer - doink! why didn't I think of that? sorry.

any special science regarding baffles?

titanium_hiker

Just Jeff
05-23-2005, 08:12
down- how much? (rough idea)
Length x width x thickness = total cubic inches

total cubic inches / fillpower = ounces needed

For example, a quilt might be 70 x 50 x 2 = 7000

If you use 700 fillpower down, that's 7000/700, or 10 ounces of down. Then add whatever overfill you like to keep the down from shifting (1-2 oz).

If you get it from a non-hiking source, it's likely 500-600 fillpower.

any special science regarding baffles?
Not for quilts. You just sew one edge of the mesh strip to the DWR, then sew the other edge of the mesh to the other piece of DWR at the same location. In the end, you should have a series of rectangles waiting for down to be stuffed in.

I don't know how the PeaPod is baffled, though.

titanium_hiker
05-23-2005, 20:28
should it be vertical or horizontal ( I mean- across my body or from head to toe?)

thanks for all the help Jeff- I love your site btw.

11 days and then I'm FREE!!! to make whatever gear I want. No more school!!!

titanium_hiker

Just Jeff
05-24-2005, 08:28
I don't know which way you want the baffles. In the pictures the baffles are perpendicular to your body, but I can't tell if there are any running lengthwise or not. Maybe someone with a PeaPod could help out.

The JRBs are perpendicular to your body, and the down shifts to the bottom, leaving the sides rather thin until you fluff it back up. This allows you to shift it around and put more insulation where you want it, but I had to get up in the middle of the night one time to shift it back to the sides.

My down-insulated hammock has two long side baffles to stop this from happening, and a slight overstuff to keep it from shifting too much head to toe. I haven't tested it yet since the lows here have been high 60s :( I'll post more details when I get some use out of it. Actually, there's too much of an overstuff right now...I'll have to take some out. I think the down-insulated hammock, a top quilt, and the Hammock Sock will probably be the warmest setup I've used.

titanium_hiker
05-24-2005, 16:42
cool.

Ok, so it sounds like I want some perpendicular to spread it evenly along my body (head to toe) and then some at the edges head to toe to make sure no cold sides happen. Perhaps extra down at sensitive places (shoulders, kidneys) would be a good idea.

thanks for all your help Jeff.

titanium_hiker

titanium_hiker
08-20-2005, 11:59
ok, so, after much thought and *hem* lazyness, I have decided to go with a garlington insulator of some sort and a bag of feathers or... what about a bag of synthetic insulation? (doesn't sound as romantic but hey) it would be fairly wide to go up the sides of the hammock and from about my shoulders to midthigh.

thoughts?
titanium_geek

Just Jeff
08-20-2005, 12:11
Should work. You might consider making it extend farther than mid-thigh, though...cold legs don't make for good sleep.

titanium_hiker
08-20-2005, 12:25
ok, so, I don't want full length (more bulk than wieght issues) so, down to the knees? I have a sleeping bag, so, that usually surrounds my lower legs (partially zipped up) so it is bag like on legs, quilt like further up- and yeah, I'm bunched up anyway. I also tried and liked the air filled plastic bags- they worked really well.

thanks jeff- love your site btw. it's a great resource- it's fast becoming my daydream page.
titanium

papa john
08-20-2005, 13:29
Jeff, nice website, lots of good info. The geocities ads are a pain though. If you want a free webhost without the ads, let me know.

Just Jeff
08-20-2005, 13:42
Down to your knees would work better. Maybe 40"x40" or 40"W x 50"L? You could put your empty pack down at your feet, too.

titanium_hiker
08-20-2005, 15:59
I'm five foot something and I'm short. so 4040 sounds good. man- I need to go shopping!

titanium