PDA

View Full Version : Garrison NY Train Station

eggjelly
05-22-2005, 23:01
Anyone know how accessable the AT is from the Garrison NY metro-north train station? There appears to be a marked trail from the station to the AT, anyone know what that trail is like?

Thanks
steve

DustyBoots
05-22-2005, 23:14
Steve,
I don't know about Garrison RR Station, But there is the Appalachian Trail RR Station in Pawling NY. It is a Flag Stop right on the trail.
Bob

orangebug
05-23-2005, 01:01
I suspect it is a long road walk from the Bear Mtn Bridge to the Garrison RR station. I took a cab there from Ft Montgomery. The AT stop on that line is significantly further south, and I'm unsure if it is only seasonally available.

stupe
05-23-2005, 08:03
The Appalachian Trail stop is only serviced on weekends, and I am not sure if it is serviced at all in the winter.

Frosty
05-23-2005, 09:15
Steve,
I don't know about Garrison RR Station, But there is the Appalachian Trail RR Station in Pawling NY. It is a Flag Stop right on the trail.
BobIs the Flag Stop new? When I hiked past it three years ago, it was a scheduled stop, with the schedule posted. It was (IIRC) a morning stop norht bound and an afternoon stop southbound, and only on weekends/holidays.

The Cheat
05-23-2005, 10:56
Is the Flag Stop new? When I hiked past it three years ago, it was a scheduled stop, with the schedule posted. It was (IIRC) a morning stop norht bound and an afternoon stop southbound, and only on weekends/holidays.
Information on the Appalachian Trail Station from the MTA:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=167

The Cheat
05-23-2005, 10:58
Anyone know how accessable the AT is from the Garrison NY metro-north train station? There appears to be a marked trail from the station to the AT, anyone know what that trail is like?

Thanks
steve
Sounds pretty easy:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ny/ww_newyork2.htm

Papa Bear
05-24-2005, 10:05
If you want to get from the Trail to NYC, your best bet is to take the bus from the Bear Mountain Inn.

If you want to go the other way, your choices are:
1) take the bus back (from the Port Authority Terminal) to Bear Mountain as above.
2) take the train from Grand Central (Metro North Hudson Line) to Peekskill (not Garrison) and cab it back to the Bear Mountain Bridge. You would be unlikely to get a cab in Garrison. But if you like road walks on busy narrow highways, got to Garrison and walk.
3) take the other line from Grand Central (Metro North Harlem Line) to the Appalachian Trail stop near Pauling which runs on weekends. I think 2 trains out in the morning and 2 trains back in the afternoon.

Pb

eggjelly
05-29-2005, 16:13
Thanks everyone for your input. The AT station on the harlem line only runs on weekends. Garrison seemed close to the trail and there appear to be other trails ("carriage connector") which lead from the station to the AT. My plan was to take the train to Garrison on a weekday and hike the AT to the AT train stop and take the train home for AT. Anyone does this? I was leary of the "carriage connector" and it seems from some previous posts that it might be lots of road hiking...yukky.

Thanks all
steve

Papa Bear
05-30-2005, 09:23
I have hiked in that area. From Garrison station you head up the hill and along 9D to the trailhead (I think it's the "Osborn Loop Trail") which is across a meadow on the left (east) side of the road. This is about a mile from the train station. Don't get lost when you get to the trail on the other side of the meadow - the trail makes an abrupt left turn before you get to Sugarloaf Mountain and circles this peak around the north. You better get maps from the NYNJTC for navigate over to the AT. There are numerous trails in here, but they are all pretty easy and rather nice walking.

When I posted my first reply and mentioned roadwalks, I assumed you were going to walk all the way to the AT crossing of 9D just north of the Bear Mpountain Bridge. I don't reccomend that, but just going to the Osborn Loop Trailhead is not bad. Here's the trailhead sign: Osborn LoopTrailhead (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_shakedown_2/aab.sized.jpg). You could also walk the whole way to the AT on Route 403 (which you cross on the way to the aformentioned trailhead) but that is not nearly as nice as taking the trails, although it might be quicker.

As for the total trip, It looks like about 40 miles (not counting the road walk and/or trails to get you to the AT near route 403). I considered it a lovely and easy section and we did it in about 3 1/2 days (actually from the Bear Mount Bridge, which is a bit further). Here's my report: NJ and NY Section hike (http://richard/papabear/AT_section_1.html#day9).

One thing you will miss by going this way are the monks at the Priory (monastary), which is between the Bridge and the point where you get on the trail. So I might suggest the following as an alternate plan: Get a late bus to Bear Mountain and so as to start hiking north in mid-afternoon. Try to arrive at the Graymoor Priory at super time (5:00 PM?), which is free to hikers, as is tenting on their grounds. Then get an early start the next morning and you will then be on your proposed hike (almost) with the advantage of this added treat, plus you get to walk acros the bridge and hit the low point of the entire AT (in the Zoo at Bear Mountain Park).

Enjoy
Pb