View Full Version : ray way quilt kit

neo
05-22-2005, 23:01
here is another exciting project for my hiking princess wife:cool: neo

http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.shtml

WhiteMtns
05-26-2005, 10:39
Good Idea...

I did two. Summerweight and three season. I deviated from the plans a little...but that's why you make your own...free to customize. And they keep the cost of materials low. Would be really hard to build a pg 3D quilt for close to the money you pay for the kit.

Got my Pic on the site. Hard to find better folks to deal with. My experience was awesome.

Big Dawg
05-27-2005, 13:31
I am considering a switch to a quilt, using Ray-way's kit. I wanted to know the total weight of the Deluxe 1-person quilt w/ Alpine upgrade, Long option, & stow bag. The Ray-way website only shows standard weight w/o options, & an e-mail response from Ray gave no new info. Thanks to anyone w/ more info! :clap

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2005, 13:58
Check with Medicine Man on this stuff. There's another person, but I forget the name. I think the dude lives in San Antonio (not MM). Also check MM's photo gallery.

Tha Wookie
05-27-2005, 14:22
Check with Medicine Man on this stuff. There's another person, but I forget the name. I think the dude lives in San Antonio (not MM). Also check MM's photo gallery.
What dude? You mean Ray? He and Jenny live in Arizona.

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2005, 14:27
No, the dude that lives in San Antonio is the other dude that sews stuff like MM does, I just forgot his name (the San Antonio dude).

neo
03-26-2006, 12:08
still debating on getting one:cool: neo

littlelaurel59
03-26-2006, 22:25
I recently completed one. I have only used it for napping on the sofa, but it feels light as a feather on me. Still a bit too chilly for me to risk it outside, bugt I look forward to using it this summer. I envision using it over my 30* bag during winter (which bypassed piedmont NC this year). It is a nice project.

littlelaurel59
04-24-2006, 13:23
I used my quilt for the first time this past weekend. Temp dropped to around 42*. I was in a hammock with a blue pad under me, and my quilt on top. Slept in shorts and a midweight polyester upper. I was quite warm and comfortable unless I rolled off the pad.

Definitely a product worth considering.

TwoForty
04-25-2006, 19:38
I used my quilt for the first time this past weekend. Temp dropped to around 42*. I was in a hammock with a blue pad under me, and my quilt on top. Slept in shorts and a midweight polyester upper. I was quite warm and comfortable unless I rolled off the pad.

Definitely a product worth considering.
Did you get the standard or the alpine?

Rambler
04-26-2006, 10:15
I made a quilt from Ray's original book and I added about 5-4" of extra width. His original design did not hava a footbox, but I included a zipper. This means I can also stand up with my feet sticking out of the bottom and wear it around camp (something I have only done once), or it can be spread out flat. It also makes it easy for getting in and out of a hammock with the bag on! The same morning I wore the quilt in camp was the same morning I woke upto frozen stiff footwear. They had gotten wet hiking in soft snow, so the temps must have been below the freezing point. Now I almost always use my down quilt made from a kit and designs found at Thru-hiker.com. I recently have completed a beefed up version from plans here:

http://home.comcast.net/~neatoman/quilt.htm

littlelaurel59
04-26-2006, 11:09
Did you get the standard or the alpine?

I got the standard quilt. I tend to be a warm sleeper.

Ewker
04-26-2006, 12:38
from some of the quilts i have seen they weigh as much as a good sleeping bag. Why bother with a chance of a cold breeze from underneath?

Rambler
04-26-2006, 14:05
In a hammock the quilt wraps around pretty well, and my hammock has a slot for a pad which helps block drafts from below. On the ground, the idea is that insulation underneath you will be compacted by body weight, therefore, ineffective. The pad over a ground cloth serves well. The quilts are lighter due to less material and no zippers. To help with warmth underneath, I originally filled in the "gap" with a piece of nylon, but I have removed it to save weight. You can find 1 lb. down bags, too, which work fine. Each to his own! Hey, I made a down sleeping bag that gets me down to 10 degrees. To svae $$, I filled the hood with polyfil. Being able to "bury" the head and shoulders is key to adding warmth. Anyway,on the ground or hammock hanging, in summer, the quilt works for me and I am a cold sleeper.

brancher
04-30-2006, 09:14
In a hammock the quilt wraps around pretty well, and my hammock has a slot for a pad which helps block drafts from below. On the ground, the idea is that insulation underneath you will be compacted by body weight, therefore, ineffective. The pad over a ground cloth serves well. The quilts are lighter due to less material and no zippers. To help with warmth underneath, I originally filled in the "gap" with a piece of nylon, but I have removed it to save weight. You can find 1 lb. down bags, too, which work fine. Each to his own! Hey, I made a down sleeping bag that gets me down to 10 degrees. To svae $$, I filled the hood with polyfil. Being able to "bury" the head and shoulders is key to adding warmth. Anyway,on the ground or hammock hanging, in summer, the quilt works for me and I am a cold sleeper.

I am thinking of finding or making a quilt myself. I've found that, esepcially in moderate weather (temps above 35 or 40), I end up having to use my 15F bag as a quilt anyway, so my latest scheme is to build myself a down quilt. That way, I can save at least 1 and a half lbs over my 600 down bag and I can save the bag for winter trips.

titanium_hiker
05-01-2006, 07:15
what is the stuff in Ray's quilt, and can I find it myself, say, at a fabrics store? working with down seriously doesn't appeal to me.

otherwise, tell me why I should go ray for top quilt.

titanium_hiker

lbbrown
05-01-2006, 09:39
what is the stuff in Ray's quilt, and can I find it myself, say, at a fabrics store? working with down seriously doesn't appeal to me.

otherwise, tell me why I should go ray for top quilt.

titanium_hiker
It's Polarguard 3D. For about $65 and 5 hours work you can have yourself a warm quilt that weighs 1.5lbs. Buy the extra layer and have protection to about 15 degrees.

Just Jeff
05-01-2006, 12:50
I got the stuff for my quilts from thru-hiker.com. Just two layers of DWR and some insulation (he has several types), then some yarn from Walmart for the quilting loops. I put drawstrings on the ends instead of a footbox...cordlocks are in most sewing sections, and I used parachute cord b/c it was handy.

lbbrown
05-01-2006, 13:04
I'm starting my 3rd rayway quilt. Used cordlocks and nylon string to attach to my foam pad. Helps keep it on at night. I'll try the drawstring footbox this time instead of the velcro I used on the other two. This quilt will also have 3 layers of 3D insulation.

snarbles
05-01-2006, 15:14
I just got my ray-way quilt for 2 deluxe and it is awesome. only weighs 2.13 lbs!