PDA

View Full Version : clothing for AT NB thru hike... feed back wanted..

DavidNH
05-23-2005, 16:50
Hi,

I am planning a Spring 2006 AT Northbound Through hike..starting mid march.
This will be my first backpack over two weeks length at a time.

I think one way weight builds is in clothes (food gets consumed..clothes don't!).

Here is what I am considering taking for clothes:

1 pair hiking boots (ems summit II goretex.. semi new so far..will be broken in!
2 1 pair tevas or camp/town shoe

1 pair quick dry pants
1 pair quick dry shorts
2-3 pairs of wool blend socks
1 long sleeve quick dry ems bergelene ****
1 light polar fleece
1 200 weight polar fleece
1 EMS Goretex jacket (weighs about 1 lb)
1 pair em goretex pants (full length zipper
1 fleece hat
1 fleece gloves
oh and feathered friends raven down sleeping bag rated to +10 (about 3 lbs)
1 pad

After Mt Rodgers..I would mail home the 200 weight fleece, the sleeping bag exchange for a 40 degree bag, mail home the gloves but keep the hat
keep the socks, mail home the long quick dry pants, but keep the full zip goretex pants.

Additionally, I think should have spare shirt and shorts for town/camp that I keep wrapped up and use only for town/camp. what do you think?

Considering having a pair swim trunks the whole way..use for swimming and as substitute for underwear.

so..how would you add or subtract to this clothing and sleeping gear?

I want to keep weight down but am not planning to go ultra light.. I expect to carry around 40 pounds (with food and water) but god help me if I get into high 40's! I have done it before.. but not again!

In addition to all this.. what is the major area I should concentrate on for weight savings other than food, water, and pack? I know many take tarps..but I want to a real tent!

Is one pair of hiking boots adequate for starting hike? I have heard from some sources one should have a second broken in pair as one pair wont last 2000 miles and I have also heard from someone on white blaze not to have second pair but to get second pair during hike, when I will no best what fits and works. Confusing!

All this has got to be 5-10 pounds all together.

Do I take it all...or is there room to cut back?
NHHIKER

Frosty
05-23-2005, 18:47
Why two fleeces? Would you wear them both at once? If not, I'd drop the lighter one, and add a short sleeved shirt (didn't see one on the list)

If you had to wear all your clothes, you would have (from inner to outer)
short sleeved shirt
long sleeved shirt
fleece
rain jacket.

That ought to keep you more than warm on the trail, and in camp you have a nice 10* bag to slip into.

Do you mean to take 2 pairs of camp shoes? Or am I misreading your list?

I'm sure others can comment much better than I on the rest.

BTW, I see you are from Concord. If you want to get in some gear testing backpacks, I'm going to be doing the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway next month, and a few other trips this summer.

Bob Baker
05-23-2005, 22:41
I agree with Frosty about the t-shirt. You could proally save some weight if you got some zip off pants and ditched the shorts for the beggining. I wouldnt carry any town/camp clothes because you probably wont need them in town and definatly not at camp.
If you are looking for a light tent check out the tarptent (www.tarptent.com). The two person squall comes in at around two pounds with a floor. This does not include poles but you will probably be carrying trekking poles anyway.
After Mt. Rogers you could save two pounds by getting a one pound 40 bag (North Face, Marmot, and Western Mountaineering are some that make them).

Good Luck

BTW, I'm also planning a 06 Thru Hike

DavidNH
05-23-2005, 22:59
I meant to say one pair boots for hiking and one pair of camp shoes or tevas for camp and town...something to change into.

Also.. meant 100 polar fleece for hiking..and the 200 fleece for in camp. Could be chilly when cooking dinner.

Little Frog
05-23-2005, 23:10
If it were me, I would:

Add: 1 ultralight (non-cotton) baseball cap. Keeps sun, rain, etc out of your face and has many other useful purposes.

Subtitute: Quick dry pants with a pair of wicking thermal base-layer leggings to wear under the goretex pants for warmth on cold, damp days and/or at night around camp. Cold goretex pants against bare legs on a cold, damp day/night is just no fun.