PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP x-country permits

Mumbly Joe
05-23-2005, 18:27
Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with obtaining one of these permits? I think I read about someone (SGT. Rock?) getting one, but the park info is pretty scant. Does it take awhile to process, or can you get it the day of? Are there other requirements besides thge basic leave no trace stuff listed on the website? Reason is, I will be in the area this weekend and all the shelters are booked solid. I doubt they will be happy to give me a permit just because there are too many people in the park. This is my last opportunity to practice hike before my June 20th SOBO attempt, and I really love the smokies. Any suggestions?

hikerjenz
05-23-2005, 18:35
All you have to do is fill out a simple form , name address DL # and where you will be camping. Takes all of 10 min. You can get them at any ranger station. Hope this helps

hikerjenz

Mumbly Joe
05-23-2005, 18:48
All you have to do is fill out a simple form , name address DL # and where you will be camping. Takes all of 10 min. You can get them at any ranger station. Hope this helps
I think youre reffering to a back-country permit, which to my understanding requires you to camp in established shelters or sites, and since this weekend is memorial day, everything is filled up:datz . thanks though.

SGT Rock
05-23-2005, 21:16
If you want to go off trail that is a whole other ball game. But if you want to plan a cross the Smokies AT hike you need an itenerary and you have to stick with it unless you start 50 miles outside of the Smokies and plan to hike 50 miles past the Smokies.

Work out an itenerary and make reservations by phone, then get a permit when you hit the park before you hike and carry it with you.

Smile
05-23-2005, 22:00
Off topic, sort of..... do you know if they allow service dogs in the parks like GSMNP? (not in shelters of course, but on the trail itself ;-)

chris
05-23-2005, 22:01
I think they are required to.

mjwood0
05-24-2005, 10:25
Off topic, sort of..... do you know if they allow service dogs in the parks like GSMNP? (not in shelters of course, but on the trail itself ;-)
There are very few places that a person cannot take a service dog. I believe that all public places MUST allow service dogs. In fact, I would be very disappointed if people in a shelter made a fuss about a service dog being in / around.

Lilred
05-24-2005, 12:11
Did Bill IRwin take his dog through the Smokies?

mingo
05-24-2005, 14:56
all you really have to do is write "thru-hiker" on one of those backcountry permits and you can go anywhere on the a.t. anytime you please in the smokies and no one will be the wiser. as long as you're willing to sleep outside if the shelters are full of people with reservations, it's no problem

SGT Rock
05-24-2005, 19:16
Good point. I prefer to sleep outside the shelters, maybe I should do that as a general policy.

siouxdog
05-24-2005, 19:51
i always list myself as a thru so that i'm not relegated to a schedule. no one knows and no one cares. this is especially true since i hate shelters and love my hammock. it's really not a big deal. i was there last month and the shelters were full and there was a ridgerunner there and not once did he ask about anyones reservations. of course i was the first to say that i was not sleeping in the shelter. that did not make him to happy but within an hour or so it was a non event because the shelter was at overflow. again it's no big deal. fill out the form and enjoy your hike

Red Hat
05-25-2005, 11:18
I filled out my form with an itenary planning to begin the Great Smoky Mtns on April 2nd, which I did. Unfortunately, due to a blizzard with huge snow drifts, I was advised to turn back at the fire tower. I did, as did most of those hiking with me. Two days later I began again. The trail runner stopped me, checked my name and several others, and we proceeded on without incident. I had not written "thruhiker", and the days were off, but there was no problem with the shelters, although they were full. Usually, I'd just tell a younger hiker to "save a spot for the old lady" and there would be a spot on the lower bunk for me when I arrived. Red Hat

Mumbly Joe
05-25-2005, 16:57
thanks all!!