PDA

View Full Version : Lamest part of trail

Easyhiker
12-28-2002, 19:50
I don't mean the hardest, but the part of the trail that you feel doesn't belong as part of the AT or is not as breath-taking or beautiful as the rest.

Hikerhead
12-28-2002, 20:32
Of the AT that I've done, I'd have to say the bottom of Pearis Mt coming into Pearisburg Va.

There's nothing like walking thru people's back yards 10 feet from their house.

Now if they were having a BBQ and invited me to join in, I might have a change of heart......

This is one of the parts in Va that they are trying to relocate.

Blue Jay
12-29-2002, 07:21
Thats an easy question, there is only one place. The disqusting zoo just before the Bear Mountain Bridge that crosses the Hudson. The owners should be in those cages. You go from walking with the animals to their living hell.

Peaks
12-29-2002, 10:15
For me, I think the least desirable section of the trail was the section through Bear Mountain Park in New York. I understand that this was the first section of AT completed. However, now the section appears to be very over used and poorly maintained. Shelters are dingy, water is scarce, etc. Maybe if there was some work done there, it wouldn't look or feel as bad.

stranger
12-30-2002, 02:48
One word...Maryland!

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2002, 17:14
Blue Jay--

You have a point about the Zoo....the cages are small, and many of the animals don't look all that happy, but in fairness, it should be remembered that the vast majority of the animals there are either elderly, injured, or have lived in captivity all of their lives, and therefore would not survive in the wild. Whenever possible, the Zoo attempts to release its animals to the wild, but in most cases, this is simply not possible, and the animals remain there, under care, for the rest of their lives.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 16:40
I don't mean the hardest, but the part of the trail that you feel doesn't belong as part of the AT or is not as breath-taking or beautiful as the rest.

baxter state park

warren doyle
01-28-2008, 16:46
northern Virginia's roller coaster

bfitz
01-28-2008, 17:21
I like variety. Gives perspective.

hammock engineer
01-28-2008, 18:22
CT, all of it. May as well throw in NJ and NY. Maybe even Mass.

doggiebag
01-28-2008, 18:36
Bake Oven Knob and the Bake Oven Knob shelter Area in PA. It was too close to a road and was littered with bottles and cans and graffitti. I don't mind folks having a good time but ... it almost felt like the locals were intenionally thrashing the area to way beyond just littering. The hike to the area on the knife edge rocks was beautiful until I got to that area where access was to easy for the party crowd. They thrashed it ... really sad.

Bearpaw
01-28-2008, 18:49
PA may leave you a bit lame with all the rocks, but I would never say it was a "lame" section.

No section struck me as lame. NJ, IMO, is actually the nicest of the sections in the "middle states" (WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY). I was amazed to find less civilization and better views in Jersey than any where else in this whole stretch. I would even be willing to section NJ again just because I really enjoyed it!

Mags
01-28-2008, 18:56
I was amazed to find less civilization and better views in Jersey than any where else in this whole stretch. I would even be willing to section NJ again just because I really enjoyed it!

I enjoyed NJ quite a bit. A rural feel, lots of mountain laurel in bloom, nice views off the ridges. It was an unexpected gem of the trail. Seriously.

ScottP
01-28-2008, 19:00
Shenandoah

saimyoji
01-28-2008, 19:43
Bake Oven Knob and the Bake Oven Knob shelter Area in PA. It was too close to a road and was littered with bottles and cans and graffitti. I don't mind folks having a good time but ... it almost felt like the locals were intenionally thrashing the area to way beyond just littering. The hike to the area on the knife edge rocks was beautiful until I got to that area where access was to easy for the party crowd. They thrashed it ... really sad.

The trail ain't lame, the locals are. :cool: (I'm one.)

I'd say the Rt. 80 highway walk over the Delaware sucks pretty bad. Why not make it a ford? Or post a tethered canoe? :D

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 19:46
The Cumberland Valley re-route is lame. I like the old road walk. The Ice Cream lady, the strawberry farm, Gina's sub shop, the truck stop...

rafe
01-28-2008, 19:48
Any place where road noise or other loud noises intrude. Eg. the trail just north of RPH Shelter in NY, where you hear highway noises from the Taconic and I-84. Or that *&%^# race track near Falls Village, CT. (Or the one near Ed Garvey Shelter in MD.) Not to mention the incessant motorcyles on Skyline Drive in SNP over Labor Day weekend...

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 19:51
Not to mention the incessant motorcyles on Skyline Drive in SNP over Labor Day weekend...

loud pipes save lives, hippy hiker

Bearpaw
01-28-2008, 20:26
For those who think Jersey is lame, I included a few pics from NJ during my '99 thru-hike.

Sunfish Pond..... gorgeous
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/NJ1.jpg

Ridgelines with great views showing surprisingly little civilization.......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/NJ2.jpg

And yes, there were 3 or 4 miles of road walk south of Vernon, but these offered very little traffic on a Saturday afternoon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/NJ3.jpg

To quote the movie classic Dogma, "Don't underestimate the drawing power of the Garden State". :D

GGS2
01-28-2008, 20:29

How's that?

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 20:30
How's that?

think.......

Slimer
01-28-2008, 20:30
The section through Bear Mountain Park.

Tin Man
01-28-2008, 20:42
Between CT and NH: Road walk from Norwich,VT thru Hanover is pretty lame.

JAK
01-28-2008, 20:43
OK not an AT story but I was out a couple of nights ago hauling my daughter and her friend through our Rockwood Park on a sled. Rockwood Park is like Central Park only our city is much smaller and our city park is bigger. :D
Anyhoo, the sky was full of stars, despite the lights from the city but there was this one really bothersome light source from this new mall that sends there three beams up into the sky that spin around and in and out. At first I was rather preturbed, that people are allowed to polute the night sky with such useless and wasteful nonesense. But it occured to me that within perhaps only 20 years the world will com to realize how wasteful and distracting such displays are, and even if we don't, even if it takes us 200 years or 2000 years, the night sky will be more or less unchanged millions of years after we are gone, just as it was up there more or less unchanged millions of years before we arrived. It was calmly reassuring, and gave me a whole new appreciation for the stars and our own existence. We can mess up our planet, we can even cause our own destruction, but through the stars every living being that has ever appreciated the night sky will live on eternally.

GGS2
01-28-2008, 20:45
think.......

You mean we'd be better putting little jingly bells on the bears?

I'm still not thrilled to hear clear pipes in the great outdoors. Tuned or not. Ok, shoot me, I'm not a motorized transport nut.

Kirby
01-28-2008, 20:45
Between CT and NH: Road walk from Norwich,VT thru Hanover is pretty lame.

Hanover is a nice town.

Although, they should move the state marker spot to the correct location. According to Jack, the moment you enter the river on the bridge, you are in NH, not in the middle where the current state marker is.

Jack can confirm or deny this if he sees my post,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 20:46
You mean we'd be better putting little jingly bells on the bears?

I'm still not thrilled to hear clear pipes in the great outdoors. Tuned or not. Ok, shoot me, I'm not a motorized transport nut.

stay away from the AT then

GGS2
01-28-2008, 20:54

I live in Canada. There's a lot of blank space on the map above that little strip of city along the border, and it's still hard to get away from the two strokes. Even the polar bears are out of luck. In fact, the whole damn country is crawling with snow machines, outboards, atvs and highway trolls. Ask me if I like it.

I have wanted to hike the AT for as long as I've known about it, and it is still out of reach, for various reasons. I just hope it is still there when I get there.

Tin Man
01-28-2008, 20:56
Hanover is a nice town.

Although, they should move the state marker spot to the correct location. According to Jack, the moment you enter the river on the bridge, you are in NH, not in the middle where the current state marker is.

Kirby

I did like Hanover. The long roads walks in both Norwich and West Hartford were boring and useless, but I doubt if there is another way to route the trail from what I saw.

Kirby
01-28-2008, 21:00
I did like Hanover. The long roads walks in both Norwich and West Hartford were boring and useless, but I doubt if there is another way to route the trail from what I saw.

I did not notice any forest on either side of the road that would work well, there might be a way to have the trail walk on the shore of the river for a bit, then cut into the forest somewhere, but I know little about the landscape near the town.

Kirby

Almost There
01-28-2008, 21:02
The section that runs parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Central Va., all the views are on the parkway and instead you hike below with zero views. Just route the dang trail along the road.

MOWGLI
01-28-2008, 21:05

You gotta get across the CT River somehow. Personally, I like a little variety,

Darwin again
01-28-2008, 21:07
think.......

What? I didn't hear you. Something ... too ... loud ...

(He got you.:rolleyes:)

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 21:08
The section that runs parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Central Va., all the views are on the parkway and instead you hike below with zero views. Just route the dang trail along the road.

shoulda just walked the road in the first place. that's what maps are for. blue-blazin baby!

max patch
01-28-2008, 21:11
SNP: too many rules, too many ticks, too many people, and too many times crossing that stupid road.

NJ, as has been mentioned before, was the nicest "surprise" on the trail. Such a pretty state, yet such a bad reputation.

Almost There
01-28-2008, 21:17
shoulda just walked the road in the first place. that's what maps are for. blue-blazin baby!

C'mon you don't know me better than that yet, hell yeah I walked the road! but the whole time I'm thinking how lame that the trail parellels only feet away and 8 feet down. I walk wherever the views are better, I ain't after no patch, I'm out for the experience.

I've already started looking at where I can blue blaze in Maine!:eek:

quasarr
01-28-2008, 21:22
yeah New Jersey is a funny state. It's like woods and ducks and then ... Tony Soprano

Tin Man
01-28-2008, 22:34
You gotta get across the CT River somehow. Personally, I like a little variety,

When you do 50 or so miles per year, the woods is my variety. :)

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2008, 23:46
I can't think of the lamest section. However, I do remember on numerous occasions throughout the entire AT getting sick of needless zigzags. From certain points, especially in fields or pastures you can see up on top of the hill/ridge where you'll be, but between where you're standing and the point you're looking at, the trail goes all over the place. It's as if they do it just to increase the mileage. (And I'm not talking about switchbacks).

minnesotasmith
01-29-2008, 00:40

Not as much as motorcyclists getting it through their heads that, fair or not, riding anywhere there are vehicles 10X their weight is inherently unsafe for the motorcycles. If there was to be a choice made as to whether >=4- or 2-wheeled vehicles get to use paved roads, it'd be the 4+ that get to use them. It's just a matter of accepting reality for bikers to figure out that they need to either stay on privately-owned roads (that only 2-wheelers go on), or stay on dirt.

BTW, re the ACME-brand (think Wile E. Coyote's main gizmo supplier) mufflers that even high-end motorcycle manufacturers seem to mostly settle for...

If you want motorcycles to have the same rights as cars and trucks re road access, then you need to accept operating under the same rules, and that includes having fully-functional mufflers that reduce sound to as low as those on small cars do. Otherwise, expect to have to go to electric motorcycles, if you want to share the same roads.

Almost There
01-29-2008, 00:51
Not as much as motorcyclists getting it through their heads that, fair or not, riding anywhere there are vehicles 10X their weight is inherently unsafe for the motorcycles. If there was to be a choice made as to whether >=4- or 2-wheeled vehicles get to use paved roads, it'd be the 4+ that get to use them. It's just a matter of accepting reality for bikers to figure out that they need to either stay on privately-owned roads (that only 2-wheelers go on), or stay on dirt.

BTW, re the ACME-brand (think Wile E. Coyote's main gizmo supplier) mufflers that even high-end motorcycle manufacturers seem to mostly settle for...

If you want motorcycles to have the same rights as cars and trucks re road access, then you need to accept operating under the same rules, and that includes having fully-functional mufflers that reduce sound to as low as those on small cars do. Otherwise, expect to have to go to electric motorcycles, if you want to share the same roads.

Um:-?....LAME!!!:D

A-Train
01-29-2008, 01:15

Whoa, I actually agree with you on this one.

I especially hate those weenies that ride in between cars while the rest of us are stuck in traffic jams, like they're not a motorized vehicle or something. Lame and dangerous.

ki0eh
01-29-2008, 09:14
The Cumberland Valley re-route is lame. I like the old road walk. The Ice Cream lady, the strawberry farm, Gina's sub shop, the truck stop...

Aw c'mon, you can see a truck stop from the bridge over US 11 - and this spring starts construction of the four lane underpass under two lane PA 944, see picture here: http://www.geocities.com/cvatclub/ :D

More seriously, the trouble with the "old" roadwalk is that the rural Valley isn't there anymore - mostly subdivisions around the narrow corridor. What isn't subdivided yet, has pending plans.

The roads ARE still there - and many even still have white blazes on the poles! :)

HIKER7s
01-29-2008, 09:39

That is a shame, unfortunately the Pinnacle area is getting to be the same thing. Every trail turn seems to include a discarded water bottle or something else to load up and carry out.

HIKER7s
01-29-2008, 09:41
PA may leave you a bit lame with all the rocks, but I would never say it was a "lame" section.

No section struck me as lame. NJ, IMO, is actually the nicest of the sections in the "middle states" (WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY). I was amazed to find less civilization and better views in Jersey than any where else in this whole stretch. I would even be willing to section NJ again just because I really enjoyed it!

Agree, its more incredible that is exists so close to one of the most populated areas in the US.

jhick
01-29-2008, 10:24
It is a shame the way Bake Oven looks... too easy to get to. I've see car loads of kids going up there after we were finishing off a day hike. It was already dark, and they were mostly dressed like there were going to a party. A local I meet told me it gets crazy up there some nights... kids throwing firecrackers and breaking bottles. He had no idea that the shelter was about a mile way... good thing I guess. It is amazing how much the trash drops off when you go a couple miles from the road.

rafe
01-29-2008, 10:29
It is a shame the way Bake Oven looks... too easy to get to. I've see car loads of kids going up there after we were finishing off a day hike. It was already dark, and they were mostly dressed like there were going to a party. A local I meet told me it gets crazy up there some nights... kids throwing firecrackers and breaking bottles. He had no idea that the shelter was about a mile way... good thing I guess. It is amazing how much the trash drops off when you go a couple miles from the road.

#1 rule of the woods: The quality of the people you meet, and the quality of the scenery, are proportional to your distance from the nearest road access.

tazie
01-29-2008, 10:54
One word...Maryland!

I knewsomeone would say Maryland...We're small and relatively flat and easy to traverse:)...But offer Civil War history, scenic views and a real hot shower at Dahlgrens. The shelters are frequent and pretty nice, even Ed Garvey (with the rascally Boy Scouts ;-) Scenic views at Weverton and Annapolis Rocks, nice surprises in a small package. Not too lame.

jhick
01-29-2008, 11:01
#1 rule of the woods: The quality of the people you meet, and the quality of the scenery, are proportional to your distance from the nearest road access.
VERY TRUE!

max patch
01-29-2008, 11:04
I knewsomeone would say Maryland...We're small and relatively flat and easy to traverse:)...But offer Civil War history, scenic views and a real hot shower at Dahlgrens. The shelters are frequent and pretty nice, even Ed Garvey (with the rascally Boy Scouts ;-) Scenic views at Weverton and Annapolis Rocks, nice surprises in a small package. Not too lame.

I liked Maryland. Walking right by a hot shower was a nice surprise.

dessertrat
01-29-2008, 11:08
I liked Maryland. Walking right by a hot shower was a nice surprise.

Another Marylander sticking up for Maryland.

bigmac_in
01-29-2008, 11:15

Please tell me you're joking.........

minnesotasmith
01-29-2008, 22:31
Please tell me you're joking.........

1) Motorcycle-riding where much larger, 4+ wheeled vehicles routinely travel as well is inherently dangerous, far more so than is traveling in a car or truck. My closest friend is a practicing surgeon who used to moonlight in emergency rooms. There were so many motorcycle riders brought in in buckets, that form of transportation/Russian Roulette was referred to by the staff in ALL the ERs he worked in as "murdercycles". The death rates when involved in a collision with a car for a motorcycle make riding one where larger vehicles are common as life-limiting a decision on average as choosing to be a street drug dealer in a disputed sales territory in the inner city. As the saying goes, "Buy your son a motorcycle for his last birthday.". :datz:( An informed, intelligent, prudent person won't ride them where there are cars and trucks (who are likely to hit him, not easily seeing such a small thing). Fair? No. True? Indisputably yes.

2) If motorcyclists want equal access as cars and trucks to the roads, they need to accept operating under the same laws. That includes noise emissions, as well as parking, passing, speed, driving access, etc. Why would even a socioptathic @ssh*le biker have incentive to go along that? Easy.

When an oddball minority routinely engages in something in a manner that seriously p*sses off the conventional minority, they can expect to see their entire activity increasingly restricted or banned in toto. This can be recently seen in tobacco usage, ATVs, and jet skis. Be a jerk in the eyes of nonbikers about how you ride your 2-wheeler, and you're contributing to odds of a day coming
where you can only ride one on your own property. Remember that while you may live for motorcycling, the vast majority of the country believes it can live just fine without it. In your own interest, don't make them prefer to have it banned.

max patch
01-29-2008, 22:35
You catch a lot of crap on this site, MS, but no one with a triple digit IQ can disagree with your motorcycle comments.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 22:38
You catch a lot of crap on this site, MS, but no one with a triple digit IQ can disagree with your motorcycle comments.

i like ms, i ride a motorcycle and agree with him :)

Appalachian Tater
01-29-2008, 22:46
1) Motorcycle-riding where much larger, 4+ wheeled vehicles routinely travel as well is inherently dangerous, far more so than is traveling in a car or truck. My closest friend is a practicing surgeon who used to moonlight in emergency rooms. There were so many motorcycle riders brought in in buckets, that form of transportation/Russian Roulette was referred to by the staff in ALL the ERs he worked in as "murdercycles". The death rates when involved in a collision with a car for a motorcycle make riding one where larger vehicles are common as life-limiting a decision on average as choosing to be a street drug dealer in a disputed sales territory in the inner city. As the saying goes, "Buy your son a motorcycle for his last birthday.". :datz:( An informed, intelligent, prudent person won't ride them where there are cars and trucks (who are likely to hit him, not easily seeing such a small thing). Fair? No. True? Indisputably yes.

2) If motorcyclists want equal access as cars and trucks to the roads, they need to accept operating under the same laws. That includes noise emissions, as well as parking, passing, speed, driving access, etc. Why would even a socioptathic @ssh*le biker have incentive to go along that? Easy.

When an oddball minority routinely engages in something in a manner that seriously p*sses off the conventional minority, they can expect to see their entire activity increasingly restricted or banned in toto. This can be recently seen in tobacco usage, ATVs, and jet skis. Be a jerk in the eyes of nonbikers about how you ride your 2-wheeler, and you're contributing to odds of a day coming
where you can only ride one on your own property. Remember that while you may live for motorcycling, the vast majority of the country believes it can live just fine without it. In your own interest, don't make them prefer to have it banned.

You are 100% correct about motorcyclists. I would go further and say they need to pass laws to seize loud motorcycles such as in SNP. If your bike is too loud, you lose it.

Even bicyclists break the law and endanger others: going the wrong way down streets, riding on the sidewalk, running lights.

minnesotasmith
01-29-2008, 22:49

Out of curiosity, where do you stand on my positions on nutrition for hikers?

max patch
01-29-2008, 23:35
Out of curiosity, where do you stand on my positions on nutrition for hikers?

IIRC, the Readers Digest version would be (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. You avoid white flour in favor or whole grains.
2. You understand the glycemic index and make decisions with that in mind.
3. You avoid sat fats.
4. You do not believe in a steady diet of Mountain House of other type of "backpacking foods."
5. You incorporate freeze dried or dehydrated veggies as a regular part of your diet.

Sounds good to me. But then again my kids call me a health food freak.

I shudder everytime someone starts a thread touting the wonders of Spam or Pre-cooked Bacon. While it tastes good on the trail - and makes an easy meal - I honestly believe that the 20 or 30 year old who eats that stuff today will pay the price in 30 years.

minnesotasmith
01-29-2008, 23:42
IIRC, the Readers Digest version would be (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. You avoid white flour in favor or whole grains.
2. You understand the glycemic index and make decisions with that in mind.
3. You avoid sat fats.
4. You do not believe in a steady diet of Mountain House of other type of "backpacking foods."
5. You incorporate freeze dried or dehydrated veggies as a regular part of your diet.

Sounds good to me. But then again my kids call me a health food freak.

I shudder everytime someone starts a thread touting the wonders of Spam or Pre-cooked Bacon. While it tastes good on the trail - and makes an easy meal - I honestly believe that the 20 or 30 year old who eats that stuff today will pay the price in 30 years.

I also limit simple refined sugars, push nutritious fruit, pay major attention to Calcium intake and absorption, and try to seriously limit soy products and high-fructose corn syrup.

I still think that poor nutrition is close behind money and motivation problems as to why so many would-be thruhikers don't finish the AT.

ScottP
01-29-2008, 23:47
I agree with all the same nutritional info above, but just out of curiosity what's up with the no soy?

Montego
01-29-2008, 23:53
Though I have never set foot on the AT, I will begin my thru-hike in '08. That being said, I have spent a lot of time reading the posts on WB and am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the COG RAILWAY area as being one of the most lame areas on the AT. Comments? :D

max patch
01-29-2008, 23:57
I used to have a soy protein and fruit and yogurt smoothie for lunch on weekdays. It was recently reported that the supposed benefits of soy have been, at best, grossly overstated.

Pending additional research on my part, I have discontinued intentionally adding soy to my diet.

max patch
01-30-2008, 00:00
Though I have never set foot on the AT, I will begin my thru-hike in '08. That being said, I have spent a lot of time reading the posts on WB and am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the COG RAILWAY area as being one of the most lame areas on the AT. Comments? :D

I think the hikers that moon it are lame.

The hikers that compain about the cog remind me of the same type of person who moves next door to the airport and then complain about the noise.

rafe
01-30-2008, 00:15

My comment: you don't know what you're talking about, but at least you're honest enough to admit it. ;)

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 00:17

I am only several hours away and would volunteer to clean it up, how bad is it, roughly how much trash?

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 00:23

Hey the LW strikes again as the Debbie Downer of SNL Thank's again for that wonderful positive comment you put out there for iritating us all.:-?

stranger
01-30-2008, 00:27
Maryland is pretty lame and the cumberland valley is awful

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 00:29

I climbed a removed one that was on the Lehigh and it was a "puffer" as I got a little winded, I can only guess you went to the well known one just off the AT, why was it dissapointing? Nothing left?

Most of this stuff was wood and 100 years ago, shouldn't be anything left now. just a guess.

Mark

Montego
01-30-2008, 00:32
My comment: you don't know what you're talking about, but at least you're honest enough to admit it. ;)

Perhaps you either misread the title of this thread or you are just trying to stir up some *hit. I wasn't talking about anything, just simply asking a question as to why no one had mentioned the Cog Railway as being lame, since: a) lame things or areas of the AT is what the thread is about, and b) others in other threads have "bashed" the Cog Railway before and I was surprised that it hadn't come up in this thread.

mcstick
01-30-2008, 00:40
Perhaps you either misread the title of this thread or you are just trying to stir up some *hit. I wasn't talking about anything, just simply asking a question as to why no one had mentioned the Cog Railway as being lame, since: a) lame things or areas of the AT is what the thread is about, and b) others in other threads have "bashed" the Cog Railway before and I was surprised that it hadn't come up in this thread.
You go girl

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 01:01

I pm'd you but you have everyone locked out, that's ok. I emailed Shelterbuilder to offer to clean it up and I am waiting to hear the reply.

Hopefully it won't be hard to get it in shape in one afternoon.

Mark

Sleepy the Arab
01-30-2008, 02:06
I still think that poor nutrition is close behind money and motivation problems as to why so many would-be thruhikers don't finish the AT.

I agree with MN Smith.

Thanks, universe.

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2008, 02:09
19E/Bear Branch and Rector Laurel Road in Tennessee. Just for the trash and bad reputation. My club keeps cleaning up Bear Branch, but because of some redneck that has a grudge, they have to ruin the trailhead.

Pokey2006
01-30-2008, 02:47
I'll add to the voices sticking up for Maryland -- I really liked hiking that stretch (including southern PA). Nice shelters and campsites, well-maintained trails, nice trailside "treats" like showers, ice cream and swimming pools.

But I really DIDN'T like NY. The trail seldom makes sense, the shelters are trashed and everything is just way too close to roads. Found a used condom on the ground as I was pitching my tent at one of the shelters (the William Brien, I think). It was pretty lame.

Kirby
01-30-2008, 07:28

The Whites are amazing, and that train is part of history at this point, I find it kind of neat.

Kirby

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 07:56

Its stuff like this that makes me sometimes wish a relocate of the trail however thats nonsense. Everytime I go up there, (and the pinnicle area) I always come back with a lot of trash packed. :confused:

I think if they would just crack down really hard for awhile :datzand make a couple of examples out of those who are defacing the area the kids might leave it alone for a couple of years. (which then you do the same thing again) :datz

Marta
01-30-2008, 08:24

Horrifyingly enough, I agree with MS on this one. In fact, I would even say that poor nutrition oftens causes the flagging of motivation.

However, I still disagree with the details of the MS nutrition plan, especially the soy thing.

minnesotasmith
01-30-2008, 09:08
I agree with all the same nutritional info above, but just out of curiosity what's up with the no soy?

1) Soy contains chemicals that block absorption of desirable vitamins and minerals. The less processed the soy, the worse this is (and cooking does not significantly inactivate the ones found in soy products).

2) Soybean oil goes rancid (rotten) in air quickly if not altered by hydrogenation. That, though, reduces its EFA (essential fatty acid) level, or nutritiousness. It also makes its sat fat level MUCH higher (bad for cardiovascular system), and involves lots of chemical bonds that don't exist in nature, which presumption should be against.

3) Soy products also have analogs to estrogen (female sex hormone). While possibly a bit useful against heart attacks and such, these seem to reduce fertility/sexual potency in men, and increase cancer (breast/cervical/ovarian) in women.

4) Many Americans are eating soy in quantities and degree of unalteredness that much exceed that of traditional Oriental diets that do use soy some.

5) Due to the above, I suggest not drinking any soy milk, eating TVP [textured vegetable protein, common in freeze-dried trail food entrees,], other soy protein [common in cheaper beef jerkey] soy nuts [common in trail mixes], soy oil [esp. hydrogenated, common in baked goods] or tofu. Soy sauce in normal quantities or the occasional cup of miso soup is probably okay.

On soy, remember that: "More is worse. Less processed is worse. Older is worse [for oils].".

rafe
01-30-2008, 10:04

Go back to the original post in this thread. The area around the cog is as breathtaking a place as you'll find on the AT (once you get off the summit of Mt. Washington) and the cog doesn't detract from that. Bashing the cog isn't my thing. I've been there, multiple times. You haven't, by your own admission.

Heater
01-30-2008, 11:02
Go back to the original post in this thread. The area around the cog is as breathtaking a place as you'll find on the AT (once you get off the summit of Mt. Washington) and the cog doesn't detract from that. Bashing the cog isn't my thing. I've been there, multiple times. You haven't, by your own admission.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:27

My opinion... The Cog Railway is a unique entinty. I think it is more interesting than lame.. I would never ride it, but somehow, every time I climb Mt. Wash, I find myself intrigued with the Cog.. It holds a lot of history, and if I were alive to stop the project from conception, I might have, however, I can't imagine climbing Wash without seeing that ugly ass cloud of black smoke and hearing the train crawl backassward up the side of that mountain.. so.. I say more historical and interesting, than lame....

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 12:28
i hobo'd the cog

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:42
strange story.. before I knew anything about thru's mooning the cog... I was leading a trip with 8th grade teen girs and we were working our way to the Jewel Trail after summiting when a group of grangley hikers stopped, and asked if I would take there photo with the cog in the background.. Little did I know, not to mention the onlooking girls, that the hikers were preparing to drop trow for the camera.. We were shocked.. bad form by the hikers to expose their cheeks in front of the campers, however I chuckled inside, then ostricized their behavoir when they left.. hehehe I've got no problem with mooning.. I live in michigan, where everyone has that little doll suction cupped to their car windows, when you pump that air hose, and his pants drop mooning side passing vehicles.. classic....

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 12:43
what's a thru?

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:44
I don't know, what..

Grampie
01-30-2008, 13:09
Good question. First I think that the poster needs to specify what is ment by lame.
I'm going for the section from Leigh Gap to Wind Gap. It was very depressing to see what was done to the enviroment.:(

Old Grouse
01-30-2008, 13:33
What with all the Terps sticking up for the Maryland section, I feel the need to stick up for Lime Rock Park, the racetrack in Lakeville CT. It's been there since 1958 and has give pleasure to countless drivers and other participants as well as generations of spectators. It's served as a training ground for many famous racers, such as John Fitch, Paul Newman, Peter Revson and Skip Barber. And let's not forget, the AT used to pass on the other side of Route 7 but was moved closer to the track a few years ago. If it isn't your cup of tea, so be it. Just walk a little faster and you'll soon be out of range.

rafe
01-30-2008, 13:43
Good question. First I think that the poster needs to specify what is ment by lame.
I'm going for the section from Leigh Gap to Wind Gap. It was very depressing to see what was done to the enviroment.:(

Maybe so... but in any case, it's kinda interesting. By that, I mean... different. Very different from anything else you'll see on the AT from GA to ME and back. It held my attention, more so than endless woods or rhodo tunnels.

Sometimes I think the AT takes the route it does because... it can. The land up on that ridge isn't good for much else, at this point.

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 13:52

Its a good hike to take groups on however to let them see what we (man ) is capable of.:(

warren doyle
01-30-2008, 13:59
I consider 'The Twilight Zone' to be one of the most thought-provoking sections of trail along with:

Blood Mt
Wallace Gap
Wesser
Fontana Dam
Newfound Gap
I-40
Hot Springs
Camp Creek Bald
The Ballfield
Big Bald
Erwin
Roan Highlands
Buck Mountain area
Watauga Dam
Damascus
One-room Schoolhouse
Chestnut Knob/Garden Mt.
Angels Rest/Pearisburg
Land of Neon
SNP
Harpers Ferry
Caledonia State Park
Cumberland Valley
St. Anthony's Wilderness
Delaware Water Gap
Bear Mt. Zoo
Graymoor Monastery
Kent area (prep school/Indian reservation)
Lime Rock Raceway
Berkshires
Hanover
the Whites
the Kennebec
the Bigelows
the Kennebec River
Monson
the 100-mile 'wilderness'
Baxter State Park/Katahdin.

Happy trails!
Warren

ScottP
01-30-2008, 15:33
Maybe he was thinking of the C&O Canal Towpath? That was actually a cool little hike--nice views of the river, easy hiking.

Dogwood
01-30-2008, 16:12
I focused on enjoying and appreciating every single opportunistic step on the AT. No matter how hot, noisy, cold, crowded, windy, steep, garbage strewn, rainy, delapidated, commercially developed, etc. the scene became I tried to find something positive to learn and experience from it. Realizing that so many others had made so many sacrifices in order for there to be an AT put things into perspective for me. Realizing all the time and effort that goes into continual maintenance of the trail, trail corridor, shelters, being a trail angel, running a hiker hostel, etc. makes me feel fortunate. Realizing that there are many others who desire to hike the AT but are prevented from doing so because of medical conditions, handicaps, incarceration, never seeming to have the time, just can't find the money, etc. also makes me grateful for being able to hike the AT. LET'S NOT TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED. How does the song go? U don't know what U got until it's gone, today they paved over paradise and put up a parking lot!!! With all the time I spend realizing these things I have little time to focus on what's the lamest part of the trail.

Del Q
01-30-2008, 22:35
My vote would be PA North of Boiling Springs after you pass over the PA Turnpike. That "indistrial" area to me was the lamest.

bigmac_in
01-31-2008, 14:19
i like ms, i ride a motorcycle and agree with him :)

Just getting back to this thread - stupid JOB.

I don't know MS, but like everyone else here I only know him from his posts. I certainly have nothing against him, and agree with him many times. I agree with a number of his comments about motorcycles, but can't say I agree with the entire post. Such as this comment -

" An informed, intelligent, prudent person won't ride them where there are cars and trucks (who are likely to hit him, not easily seeing such a small thing). Fair? No. True? Indisputably yes."

Although, as I think about it, maybe my problem is I'm not prudent. :D

I acknowledge that I'm taking a larger risk on my motorcycle than the people in their cars (statistics verify this), but lumping me in with all bikers is like lumping MS in with all thru-hikers.

He is definately correct in saying that the actions of many will reflect negatively on all, and result in restrictions.

minnesotasmith
02-01-2008, 04:04
I don't know MS, but like everyone else here I only know him from his posts.

I met hundreds of other LD hikers during my thru in 2006, more than a few of which are WB members. I also met hostel operators, outfitters, trail angels, etc. that also are often on WB. Then, I've attended some hiker events, like Billville, the Southern Ruck, Thanksgiving and Easter dinners at Miss Janet's, etc. There are piles of people on WhiteBlaze that have met me in real life.

Jim Adams
02-01-2008, 04:46
Whoa, I actually agree with you on this one.

I especially hate those weenies that ride in between cars while the rest of us are stuck in traffic jams, like they're not a motorized vehicle or something. Lame and dangerous.

Actually in California it is law for those bikers to go between the cars at 10 mph faster so as to lessen traffic congestion.:eek:

It is proven fact that loud pipes DON'T save lives, it just pisses off the public...but I do like the rumble!:mad:

And finally...in this time off fuel depletion and destruction of our earth, I feel that ALL 4 wheeled vehicles should be outlawed until they get the mileage that motorcycles get.
:-?
geek

Jim Adams
02-01-2008, 04:58

WOW!
will keep it short because this is definitely hijacking.
I teach the only motorcycle trauma course in the U.S. and your facts are ALL wrong.
Injuries per number of participants:
1. traveling in a car
2. smoking tobacco
5. bicycling
9. using a power saw
10. using a bath tub
motorcycling is not in the top 10.

geek

dessertrat
02-01-2008, 05:19
WOW!
will keep it short because this is definitely hijacking.
I teach the only motorcycle trauma course in the U.S. and your facts are ALL wrong.
Injuries per number of participants:
1. traveling in a car
2. smoking tobacco
5. bicycling
9. using a power saw
10. using a bath tub
motorcycling is not in the top 10.

geek

Is that injuries per capita? Nope, didn't think so. Far fewer people ride motorcycles than ride in cars or smoke tobacco. NHTSA keeps figures on injuries per mile traveled, and motorcycles are far more dangerous than automobiles per mile traveled. Even most experienced motorcyclists admit that.

Jim Adams
02-01-2008, 05:31
Is that injuries per capita? Nope, didn't think so. Far fewer people ride motorcycles than ride in cars or smoke tobacco. NHTSA keeps figures on injuries per mile traveled, and motorcycles are far more dangerous than automobiles per mile traveled. Even most experienced motorcyclists admit that.

Nope!
That is injuries per # of participants, not per capita....it's all relative to percentages of users. your chance of dying is far greater in a motorcycle accidnt compared to a car but you are at higher risk for accidents and injury using a car than a motorcycle....most motorcycle rider pay far more attention to what is going on around them than car drivers.

geek

dessertrat
02-01-2008, 06:48
Nope!
That is injuries per # of participants, not per capita....it's all relative to percentages of users. your chance of dying is far greater in a motorcycle accidnt compared to a car but you are at higher risk for accidents and injury using a car than a motorcycle....most motorcycle rider pay far more attention to what is going on around them than car drivers.

geek

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:JVxACcY-KE4J:www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809908.PDF+NHTSA+injury+statistics&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Per NHTSA, per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are 32 times more likely to be killed and 6 times more likely to be injured than passenger car occupants. That is not fewer injuries.

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 08:08
I consider 'The Twilight Zone' to be one of the most thought-provoking sections of trail along with:

Blood Mt
Wallace Gap
Wesser
Fontana Dam
Newfound Gap
I-40
Hot Springs
Camp Creek Bald
The Ballfield
Big Bald
Erwin
Roan Highlands
Buck Mountain area
Watauga Dam
Damascus
One-room Schoolhouse
Chestnut Knob/Garden Mt.
Angels Rest/Pearisburg
Land of Neon
SNP
Harpers Ferry
Caledonia State Park
Cumberland Valley
St. Anthony's Wilderness
Delaware Water Gap
Bear Mt. Zoo
Graymoor Monastery
Kent area (prep school/Indian reservation)
Lime Rock Raceway
Berkshires
Hanover
the Whites
the Kennebec
the Bigelows
the Kennebec River
Monson
the 100-mile 'wilderness'
Baxter State Park/Katahdin.

Happy trails!
Warren
Where is the one-room school house?

Lone Wolf
02-01-2008, 08:30
near atkins

camojack
02-01-2008, 09:15
I've said this before:

The dangerous thing about riding a motorcycle is mostly the idiots in cars and trucks.
I'm speaking as an experienced motorcyclist; I've got more miles riding (caught) in the rain than most folks have miles riding, period.

In a majority of instances, the motorcyclist is not at fault in a multiple vehicle accident.

When it's a single vehicle accident (motorcycle only) there is generally some form of substance abuse involved.

I've lost count of how many times I have heard about people saying "I never saw you". It would help if they paid attention...

camojack
02-01-2008, 09:23
Now, to get back to the topic, I'd like to stick up for Maryland and New Jersey as well.

The C & O has long been one of my favorite spots, and the Garvey Shelter is very nice (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Camo_Jack_hikes_again/aad). Great view from Weverton Cliffs (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Camo_Jack_hikes_again/aaf), too.

New Jersey as a whole is generally horrible, but regarding the A.T. section that goes through it, it's typically pretty nice (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Camo-hikes-Jersey)...

dessertrat
02-01-2008, 09:31
I've said this before:

I'm speaking as an experienced motorcyclist; I've got more miles riding (caught) in the rain than most folks have miles riding, period.

In a majority of instances, the motorcyclist is not at fault in a multiple vehicle accident.

When it's a single vehicle accident (motorcycle only) there is generally some form of substance abuse involved.

I've lost count of how many times I have heard about people saying "I never saw you". It would help if they paid attention...

I'm not saying people shouldn't ride them-- but I don't think anyone should claim that it is not dangerous to ride one, or that it is safer to ride a motorcycle than it is to ride in a car. All activities have risks, and per mile traveled, motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Injuries "per participant" are meaningless, because some people only ride their motorcycle 2000 miles a year, but drive 50,000.

minnesotasmith
02-01-2008, 10:12
It is ultimately irrelevant who causes a motorcycle-4wheeler collision. The motorcyclist is still paralyzed/DOA, while the 4wheeler-driver has 4 grand in repair bills, has his car in the shop for a week, and has his insurance premiums go up.

Blissful
02-01-2008, 10:18
Where is the one-room school house?

Settlers Museum in VA right on the trail. Great place. Friendly to hikers. The guy gave me my own tour. Paul Bunyan spent an hour there.

Blissful
02-01-2008, 10:22
Lamest part of the trail?

Honestly I can't think of any. All of it was new, exciting, and lots of times challenging. I never knew what was around the bend. I didn't like the few road walks, but even they weren't too bad, just hard on my feet.

camojack
02-01-2008, 10:30
It is ultimately irrelevant who causes a motorcycle-4wheeler collision. The motorcyclist is still paralyzed/DOA, while the 4wheeler-driver has 4 grand in repair bills, has his car in the shop for a week, and has his insurance premiums go up.
Irrelevant?

Granted, the motorcyclists tend to suffer for others' inattention, but it certainly does not excuse same.

I couldn't possibly care less about some careless idiot's insurance premiums.

This callous attitude of yours is but one reason why we riders have to be the consummate defensive drivers...or suffer the consequences.

Try extending the "HYOH" mindset beyond just hiking, if you can.

Now, let's allow this thread to return to the original topic...

NorthCountryWoods
02-01-2008, 10:57
Hanover is a nice town.

Kirby

Correct. NH owns to the riverbank on the VT side.

Lamest part I've done so far was SNP in summer. Really brings the suck. Hot, buggy, way too many cars, people and fascist park rangers. Also way too many deer. Never thought I'd say that, but the ticks were out of control and woke up one morning to a young buck chewing on my hiking boots. :confused:

Although did it again in winter and it was awesome! Completely different scene.

rafe
02-01-2008, 11:35
Lamest part I've done so far was SNP in summer. Really brings the suck. Hot, buggy, way too many cars, people and fascist park rangers. Also way too many deer. Never thought I'd say that, but the ticks were out of control and woke up one morning to a young buck chewing on my hiking boots. :confused:

Although did it again in winter and it was awesome! Completely different scene.

I enjoyed SNP for the same reason most folks do (the food, the views, the nicely-graded trails) though the road noise was a bit disconcerting at times. The only issues I had with critters was at Calf Mtn. Shelter on the last night. Critters stole a sock and chewed thru my pole straps.

dessertrat
02-01-2008, 11:39

Don't forget that if it's his fault, he may face criminal charges or at the very least, an enormous civil suit.

bigmac_in
02-01-2008, 12:56
I met hundreds of other LD hikers during my thru in 2006, more than a few of which are WB members. I also met hostel operators, outfitters, trail angels, etc. that also are often on WB. Then, I've attended some hiker events, like Billville, the Southern Ruck, Thanksgiving and Easter dinners at Miss Janet's, etc. There are piles of people on WhiteBlaze that have met me in real life.

You are correct - I stand corrected.

minnesotasmith
02-01-2008, 18:43
The point I made in saying that it was irrelevant who caused a serious motorcycle-car/truck collision (and 99% of cycle/4-wheeler collisions are serious), is that the motorcyclist is still DOA/paralyzed for life either way. How much satisfaction would it be to the average motorcyclist that's been run over by an 18-wheeler to have put on his gravestone "But it wasn't his fault!".:rolleyes:

Anyway, you're not going to get rich suing the average slob with State Farm (or whomever) insurance, that takes years to pay out a fraction of claims, and whose personal net worth is negative. Too, I wouldn't trade being able to walk, feed/bathe/dress myself, brush my own teeth, hold my kids (once I have some), have a schlong that works, etc., for any amount of money. I can make money, but how do you compensate for losing those things?

Nearly Normal
02-01-2008, 19:45
19E/Bear Branch and Rector Laurel Road in Tennessee. Just for the trash and bad reputation. My club keeps cleaning up Bear Branch, but because of some redneck that has a grudge, they have to ruin the trailhead.

How do you know it's a redneck?
Could be a cracker, gully jumper, po white trash, disgruntled trashman, hillbilly.........................

Dogwood
02-02-2008, 14:40
[quote=minnesotasmith;515582]Not as much as motorcyclists getting it through their heads that, fair or not, riding anywhere there are vehicles 10X their weight is inherently unsafe for the motorcycles. If there was to be a choice made as to whether >=4- or 2-wheeled vehicles get to use paved roads, it'd be the 4+ that get to use them. It's just a matter of accepting reality for bikers to figure out that they need to either stay on privately-owned roads (that only 2-wheelers go on), or stay on dirt.

If you want motorcycles to have the same rights as cars and trucks re road access, then you need to accept operating under the same rules, and that includes having fully-functional mufflers that reduce sound to as low as those on small cars do. Otherwise, expect to have to go to electric motorcycles, if you want to share the same roads.[/quote

And how does all this EXTRANEOUS information concerning motorcycles stay on topic to the original thread??? IF U WANT TO LEAD THE DISCUSSION THIS FAR OFF TOPIC START A NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

bigmac_in
02-02-2008, 18:08
[quote=minnesotasmith;515582]Not as much as motorcyclists getting it through their heads that, fair or not, riding anywhere there are vehicles 10X their weight is inherently unsafe for the motorcycles. If there was to be a choice made as to whether >=4- or 2-wheeled vehicles get to use paved roads, it'd be the 4+ that get to use them. It's just a matter of accepting reality for bikers to figure out that they need to either stay on privately-owned roads (that only 2-wheelers go on), or stay on dirt.

If you want motorcycles to have the same rights as cars and trucks re road access, then you need to accept operating under the same rules, and that includes having fully-functional mufflers that reduce sound to as low as those on small cars do. Otherwise, expect to have to go to electric motorcycles, if you want to share the same roads.[/quote

And how does all this EXTRANEOUS information concerning motorcycles stay on topic to the original thread??? IF U WANT TO LEAD THE DISCUSSION THIS FAR OFF TOPIC START A NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

DW - this thread is in the "general" forum area. These threads go off topic many times. Note to all - if you don't want your thread to get highjacked, use the "straight forward" forum. But what's the fun in that? :D

BigMc

kritter
02-02-2008, 18:33
For those who think Jersey is lame, I included a few pics from NJ during my '99 thru-hike.

Sunfish Pond..... gorgeous
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/NJ1.jpg

Ridgelines with great views showing surprisingly little civilization.......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/NJ2.jpg

And yes, there were 3 or 4 miles of road walk south of Vernon, but these offered very little traffic on a Saturday afternoon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/NJ3.jpg

To quote the movie classic Dogma, "Don't underestimate the drawing power of the Garden State". :D

New Jersey is very unique. I live on Long Island and frequently hike the NY NJ CT sections. New Jersey is awefully pretty, the landscape changes drastically.

Jaybird62
02-02-2008, 18:36
New Jersey is very unique. I live on Long Island and frequently hike the NY NJ CT sections. New Jersey is awefully pretty, the landscape changes drastically.

I would have to agree with you. Those nice long ridgeline walks along the Kittatiny Range are surely beautiful!!

The Desperado
02-02-2008, 23:15
Thank you Bear Paw & Mags.....I luv Joisy..
I've gotten comments/post cards /letters etc from folks going all the way back to the mid 60's that [hiked thru N J ] and 95% thought N J was very nice.