PDA

View Full Version : Who/what impresses you the most:

MedicineMan
05-23-2005, 23:17
I'm still amazed at the numbers of trail miles some of the members here have...just read about Nean,,,,triple triple crowner! in my wildest dreams i cannot imagine that feat....but at the same time i am blown away by the shear volume of miles I'm also blown away by the lady volunteer on the Cumberland Trail last year that has been at every Big Dig since the Cumberland Trail was concieved.
Honestly I'm amazed at it all, someone who loves the AT so much he/she would hike it over and over, someone who will carry a chainsaw up Roan Mtn. to clear a monkey puzzle, and someone who will put the AT corridor in their will.
I only post this, and the poll as a message/reminder that it takes many with many different angles to keep the U.S. trail system alive and well.

A-Train
05-23-2005, 23:32
Medicine Man, that is a great post. I think we all need to be reminded of the "behind the scenes" work that goes on. The trail is much more than the thru-hikers that hike on it. It really would not survive without thousands of volunteer hours by local clubs and maintainers and the folks who are involved through agency partnerships and the employees of the ATC and various trail clubs, states parks and other workers and volunteers.

During RR training this week I met a lot of great people who have been utterly committed to protecting and preserving the trail over the course of their lifetime. After catching a glimpse into their work over the years, it makes the life of a thru-hike seem a very small insignifcant part of the AT.

Lugnut
05-24-2005, 00:31
Bob Peoples, with his complete dedication to the trail, impresses me more than anyone else I've met. He, and those like him (though few are in his catagory), are way more important than any single hiker.

Jaybird
05-24-2005, 05:39
hey Medicine Man...

i thought you were out on the trail with "Baltimore Jack"?

what happened???

Dances with Mice
05-24-2005, 06:38
A shout out to the volunteer trail crews, like the Konnarock Crew, that give vacation time to swing Pulaskis.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/steward/crews.html

MOWGLI
05-24-2005, 06:39
Jaybird, you're thinking of Mountain Dew. Same number of letters, but a different person.

MOWGLI
05-24-2005, 06:42
A shout out to the volunteer trail crews, like the Konnarock Crew, that give vacation time to swing Pulaskis.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/steward/crews.html

Yup, there was a time that I was impressed by long distance hikers. No longer though. It's the volunteers that impress me. Spend a day building or maintaining rail, and you'll understand why. Although its hard work, its some of the most satisfying work you'll ever do. You meet some great folks too.

MedicineMan
05-24-2005, 06:48
that reminded me of Abraham Lincoln and John Kennedy, something about the same number of letters.....and though i would consider it an honor to hike with the master Jack, alas it hasnt happened, but its a small world and you never know.....but if anyone wants to hike with me I headed north from Big Meadows this coming Sunday, only have 3 days so wont get far.....

and something else to think about in this thread:::::::::

if no one did a thing to the trail (maintanence crews,etc) how long until the trail would be taken over by the forest?
at first i would say a couple of years, maybe three...but 1/4 mile from my house part of the Overmountain Trail still exists in its purist form and there is and has been no maintenance on it and yet no trees, no laural, no rhododenron grow on it????????

Jaybird
05-24-2005, 07:29
thanks for the CORRECTION Mowgli16...

yea, i hear the duo arent doing a load of hikin' anyway... ;)

Lone Wolf
05-24-2005, 08:27
Multiple thru-hikes, triple crowns, thousands of AT miles just shows a person has lots of of time on thier hands and few responsibilities. And some $.

TakeABreak
05-24-2005, 08:41
Yeah those like Bob & Pat People, are absolutely wanderful. I stayed at the Kincora in 00, and have visited him and pat, once there are great people.

But I have to mention a special trail angel here also, hope all will forgive for it. George and Murray in VA. I ran into Geogre on a day hike, and was asking where I could camp near the road so i could hit town first thing in the morning, not knowing who he truely even after he introduced himself.

He told to hike to the next road and wait by the pay phone and he would pick me up in two hours and take home with him, well I covered that distance in an hour & thirty minutes flat. On the way to his house i asked if I could by him and wife dinner, he said no she heating up left over's for me. Then he told me they George and Murray the trail angels, they took me home, let shower, gave me clothes to wear while I did laundry, fed me more than I could eat REALLY. And let me sleep on their living room.

Why are they my special Angels, I was done just enough food for an appetizer ( I should mention I always had extra food, the day before entering town) I was truely truely hungry and had accepted the fact that I was going to go bed with hunger pains that night, and out of no where, on cloudy, misty, cool evening there was George. God so did help me that night.

Sorry about the details people, but I think George and Murray, are right their next to Bob & Pat, in my book anyways. Both couples have done a lot for lot hikers and the trail community as a whole.

Lion King
05-24-2005, 11:15
The most impressive people are the ones who stay hidden in the shadows of trail legend and still do what they do to make everyone elses trip the amazing trip it is.

The workers, angels and others who make the impossible barable, and the barable a little easier. The smiles and words of encouragment and the acts and deeds of strangers who give of thier spirits and lives to help spread the experiance of giving without a need for a reward.

The lights that shine in the darkest hours of a long term hike, the love given freely from the heart, and the humanity that is displayed without pride and arrogance.

Long miles, superior purists and judgemental people who assume because they hike alot, that they are Gods, or legends that others must immulate are sad, as they havent gotten 'it' yet. Its the humble, caring people that you dont hear about that are the lifeblood of any hike.

They blood sweat and tears these people put out for nothing other then the satisfaction of helping others or working to better the trail...these are the ones who matter and make me smile.

But then...I love everyone.

Lilred
05-24-2005, 12:13
The most impressive people are the ones who stay hidden in the shadows of trail legend and still do what they do to make everyone elses trip the amazing trip it is.

The workers, angels and others who make the impossible barable, and the barable a little easier. The smiles and words of encouragment and the acts and deeds of strangers who give of thier spirits and lives to help spread the experiance of giving without a need for a reward.

The lights that shine in the darkest hours of a long term hike, the love given freely from the heart, and the humanity that is displayed without pride and arrogance.

Long miles, superior purists and judgemental people who assume because they hike alot, that they are Gods, or legends that others must immulate are sad, as they havent gotten 'it' yet. Its the humble, caring people that you dont hear about that are the lifeblood of any hike.

They blood sweat and tears these people put out for nothing other then the satisfaction of helping others or working to better the trail...these are the ones who matter and make me smile.

But then...I love everyone.

Very well said...........

"ME & U"
05-24-2005, 12:43
I'm impressed by my honey! She rocks me!!:banana

icemanat95
05-24-2005, 12:45
The people who impress me are the ones who go out into the world and put their bodies on the line to make sure that we have the opportunity to sit here and congratulate ourselves about how many miles we have hiked, how light our packs are, how well our latest home-made alcohol stove works, etc.

Lone Wolf has got it right. It's just a vacation. It's just hiking.

If confined to trail related people alone, the people who I admire are the ones who do the work. Who lobby the hell out of Congress and state legislatures to get the money needed to keep the project going and maintain it. The volunteers who bleed and sweat into the trail making it reasonably safe for us slackers to hike on. I admire hostelers who work hard to provide services for hikers who don't realize how much work it takes to serve them.

The hikers I admire the most are the weekend duffers who have been piecing together the whole trail a little at a time, year after year all while raising children, maintaining a home and building a career. Anybody can thru-hike the AT so long as they have the time, money, will and are in reasonably good condition for the time and daily mileage goals they have alloted. If a blind man, children and 80+ year old men and women can do it, the only reason a fit young twenty-something person couldn't do it is lack of will or discipline.The difference between one thru-hike and twenty is time and money.

Colter
05-24-2005, 12:51
Multiple thru-hikes, triple crowns, thousands of AT miles just shows a person has lots of of time on thier hands and few responsibilities. And some $.

Those experiences reflect a lot more than time and money.

I'm impressed by all those feats, and thankful to all the volunteers whose work makes it possible!

Tha Wookie
05-24-2005, 13:21
I'm impressed by any person who walks with an open heart and listens to the great lessons of the trail. I'm even more impressed by those who take those lessons and apply them in there everyday life.

Much respect to you ALL.:D

Tha Wookie
05-24-2005, 13:22
My, oh my, I wrote "there" instead of "their". Thank goddess this is not a political thread.

Nean
05-25-2005, 13:11
While it may be true that I own a few speed records... I've never been impressed by speed or miles for the sake of speed and miles. Good people are good people and. There are so many wonderful people who in their own way make the AT and all trails, what they are. I've been lucky enough to play in the woods for a few years now. I've had no more time than anyone else my age, live below the poverty line but decided to follow my passion, as I'm sure many others do. All the oldtimers inspired me along with many others. Perhaps the 1st and still current is my friend, the I.D.H.F.H. Thank you for the kind words MM Life is short as it is good, live, laugh, learn, Love, LETITBE

Lone Wolf
03-19-2009, 03:42
I'm impressed by any person who walks with an open heart

shoulda seen me in the OR recently

Mother Nature
03-19-2009, 08:10
I am so glad you are back! I have been lurking and worried but judging by the tone :sun:sun:sun of your replies we have our old Wolfie back. Hope you can make it to the Bash but don't over do it.

jersey joe
03-19-2009, 08:18
What impresses me most on the trail is the kindness of others for NOTHING in return.

Heater
03-19-2009, 08:21
shoulda seen me in the OR recently

Now that was funny. :D

Homer&Marje
03-19-2009, 08:59
Maybe you have seen this. Maybe you haven't, but this guy is incredible. First blind person to summit Mt. Everest.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/62683/farther-than-the-eye-can-see

Frick Frack
03-19-2009, 09:00
On our sobo we saw a military veteran section hiker in SNP slowly section hiking the AT. His trail name was "One Step at a Time" and he only had one leg. He was using crutches and had a friend with him and was moving right along. THAT was impressive. There was no way to give him enough thanks.

Mags
03-19-2009, 13:06
The people who impress me the most are the ones who put in the sweat equity to build the trail, (be it physically or in the office..takes a lot of both to get the trail built and maintained!) along with those who are willing to share their knowledge and passion in a warm, friendly and constructive manner.

JAK
03-19-2009, 14:19
I agree absolutely. Let's here it for the trail builders and maintainers.
Other than the Master Builder himself, they are number 1 in my books.

Sons of Martha

The sons of Mary seldom bother, for they have inherited
that good part;
But the Sons of Martha favour their Mother of the
careful soul and the troubled heart.
And because she lost her temper once, and because she
was rude to the Lord her Guest,
Her Sons must wait upon Mary's Sons, world without
end, reprieve, or rest.
It is their care in all the ages to take the buffet and
cushion the shock.
It is their care that the gear engages; it is their care that
the switches lock.
It is their care that the wheels run truly; it is their care
to embark and entrain,
Tally, transport, and deliver duly the Sons of Mary by
land and main.

They say to mountains, "Be ye removed." They say to
the lesser floods, "Be dry."
Under their rods are the rocks reproved-they are not
afraid of that which is high.
Then do the hill-tops shake to the summit-then is the
bed of the deep laid bare,
That the Sons of Mary may overcome it, pleasantly
sleeping and unaware.
They finger death at their gloves' end where they piece
and repiece the living wires.
He rears against the gates they tend: they feed him hungry
behind their fires.
Early at dawn, ere men see clear, they stumble into
his terrible stall,
And hale him forth a haltered steer, and goad and turn
him till evenfall.
To these from birth is Belief forbidden; from these till
death is Relief afar.
They are concerned with matters hidden - under the
earthline their altars are-
The secret fountains to follow up, waters withdrawn to
restore to the mouth,
And gather the floods as in a cup, and pour them again
at a city's drouth.

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a
little before the nuts work loose.
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop
their job when they dam'-well choose.
As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark
and the desert they stand,
Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's
day may be long in the land.

Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path
more fair or flat -
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha
spilled for that!
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness
to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their
common need.

And the Sons of Mary smile and are blessed - they
know the Angels are on their side.
They know in them is the Grace confessed, and for
them are the Mercies multiplied.
They sit at the Feet - they hear the Word - they see
how truly the Promise runs.
They have cast their burden upon the Lord, and - the
Lord He lays it on Martha's Sons!

Rudyard Kipling

UnkaJesse
03-19-2009, 14:25
here, here for the maintainers!

Tipi Walter
03-24-2009, 09:46
One of the toughest backpackers I every saw was a guy named Doug in the Slickrock wilderness. We shared the trail together for a day as he and his buddy humped up the Nutbuster trail along the upper Slickrock Creek trail, one of the hardest trails in the southeast. He's on the left in the picture with his friend.

Doug was an Army Ranger in Iraq and during a firefight an explosive flew over a wall he was behind and detonated next to his head. He lost an eye and had severe damage to his skull but somehow pulled thru and decided to do a backpacking trip on a short leave. Afterwards I tried hiking the trail with one eye closed and it was dang difficult. He showed me his pack(Camelbak I believe, military issue)and had some good stories about p***ing off a few Special Forces types.

weary
03-24-2009, 10:30
The people who impress me are the ones who go out into the world and put their bodies on the line to make sure that we have the opportunity to sit here and congratulate ourselves about how many miles we have hiked, how light our packs are, how well our latest home-made alcohol stove works, etc.

Lone Wolf has got it right. It's just a vacation. It's just hiking.

If confined to trail related people alone, the people who I admire are the ones who do the work. Who lobby the hell out of Congress and state legislatures to get the money needed to keep the project going and maintain it. The volunteers who bleed and sweat into the trail making it reasonably safe for us slackers to hike on. I admire hostelers who work hard to provide services for hikers who don't realize how much work it takes to serve them.

The hikers I admire the most are the weekend duffers who have been piecing together the whole trail a little at a time, year after year all while raising children, maintaining a home and building a career. Anybody can thru-hike the AT so long as they have the time, money, will and are in reasonably good condition for the time and daily mileage goals they have alloted. If a blind man, children and 80+ year old men and women can do it, the only reason a fit young twenty-something person couldn't do it is lack of will or discipline.The difference between one thru-hike and twenty is time and money.
Iceman has gotten it right. The angels are certainly nice friendly people, who ease the passage of trail walkers. But the true heroes are people like Dave Field who has spent more than 50 years as a trail volunteer -- as a maintainer, as a trail thinker and planner, as a compromiser willing to settle for the good rather than the impossible perfect, as a long time official of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, and as a volunteer and office holder with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Though he has had a distinguished career as an educator, Dave's true life's work has been the Appalachian Trail. A political conservative, Dave tried for years to keep the "government" out of the trail in Maine. But when that effort failed, no one worked harder with the National Park Service to negotiate a wonderful trail corridor that makes the trail in Maine the most beautiful and wild of any of the 14 states.

Dave's trail work began at age 14 or 15, so don't think of him in the past tense. He remains as active and dedicated as ever. I don't have the words to express Dave's contributions to the Appalachian Trail.

But I suspect trail historians a hundred years from now will rank him up with Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery among the real trail pioneers.

Weary

Darwin again
03-24-2009, 12:35
my, Oh My, I Wrote "there" Instead Of "their". Thank Goddess This Is Not A Political Thread.

Collectivist!
:d