PDA

View Full Version : Bemis Mt. Lean-to

poison_ivy
05-24-2005, 12:45
This is a nice little shelter with skylights. Nice views from the ledges just north & south of the shelter, but not from the lean-to itself. It sleeps eight. The water source has a reputation of drying up in the summer and I could see why this weekend -- even with all the wet weather we're having the stream was pretty small.

I believe a moose or deer walked by during the night, though we didn't see him. There was scat next to the fire pit in the morning that I am 99 percent sure was not there when we arrived.

- Ivy

jlb2012
05-24-2005, 13:06
well was it moose scat or deer scat or something else?

Frosty
05-24-2005, 13:30
I arrived at the shelter exhausted. Grabbed a Snickers, spread out my pad and bag and went to sleep. My feet were chilled at night, which I took to being because I'd hiked half the day in cold wet boots. I stuck a chem toe warmer on each foot and went to sleep.

When I woke up, I realized why my feet were cold. The floor of the shelter is about 6 feet long, five inches shorter than I am. My feet were hanging over the edge the whole night.

I didn't notice the scat near the shelter, but the trail was FULL of it. Some places seemed to be a moose rest room, with a solid ten to fifteen feet of trail totally full of little brown "moose eggs."

I also thought the skylights were a nice touch for the shelter. Made it seem less like a cave.

Cookerhiker
08-31-2005, 21:08
On a recent rainy night, 9 of us fit quite comfortably into this 8-person shelter. Everyone got a good night's sleep.:rolleyes:

V8
09-02-2005, 14:01
VERY nice tent and hammock sites here. Lots. Pretty. We ran into almost no water situation here a few weeks ago, but I bet that's not the case today....we ended up blocking a tiny trickle til it filled up, and scooping bit by bit into bottles. That's when I sure wish I had the filter - sucks up great from tiny places.

TheRaven
07-04-2011, 19:06
This hasn't seen much attention so I figured I would give everyone a laugh.....

Matt Theriault
07-08-2012, 09:55

Was just at the Bemis Lean-to last week and i found the moose. thought i would share. Also the water was running very nicely :)

Berserker
01-25-2018, 12:35
Did not see the same thing as a poster above as far as tent sites. There are a couple, but really only 1 nice one. The others are sloped. Hiked to this lean-to with the intent to stay overnight on a section in August of 2017, and decided to just head to ME 17 where the car was parked. Primarily decided to move on due to lack of water. There was a stagnant pool, so I hiked down a ways and didn't find anything flowing. There are some campsites a few miles NOBO up trail next to Bemis stream where there was plenty of water. The area around the lean-to is a beautiful boreal forest.