PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Cascadia 7 trail runners

Veetack
12-03-2012, 08:58
Does anyone have any experience with them? Currently, I hike in Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2's and I'm wondering how the 2 compare. I know the Brooks are heavier, but I'm wondering if only those few ounces are really an issue. Any insight helps.

Malto
12-03-2012, 09:48
I have used both shoes over the last year and a half and like both of them. I also have went through a few pairs of LaSportiva Wildcats. I had great results with all three types. I found the Brooks and Wildcats to be very Similiar but the Salomons are much more narrow. If you like wide toe boxes, which I do, give Brooks a try. My toes like to wiggle.

As always, shoes come down to personal preference. I just ordered two more pairs of Wildcats, they were under $70/pair. If Brooks could be found at that price then I would have gone with the Brooks.

Veetack
12-03-2012, 17:14
How about the sole? The Brooks appear to have a pretty aggressive sole, which seems it would be beneficial over other trail runners.

Malto
12-03-2012, 17:22
I noticed nothing special between the three with regards to the sole.

Studlintsean
12-03-2012, 17:35
I noticed nothing special between the three with regards to the sole.
I recently got a pair of Brooks Cascadias and love them. For the first time in years I went backpacking and did not have a single foot issue. I did roll my ankle a few times but I broke the ankle years ago and it seems to be a bit weak. I'll get a brace for it the next time im out in the woods. I would highly recommend them.

g8trh8tr
12-03-2012, 22:46
Don't have experience with the other brands you mentioned but Brooks Cascadia is my go to hiking shoe...And Brooks Adrenaline is my running shoe.

Halliho
12-04-2012, 00:53
I moved from Merrill barefoot shoes to the Brooks Cascadia 2 months ago. They have been comfortable and allowed me to hike pain free even with the Morton's Neuroma.
Looking at them today, they are showing serious wear at the toes, but its cosmetic only.
As you noted, the soles are very cushioned, yet they have less drop than most trail runners, so fit into the barefoot concept nicely. During the hotter hikes, I took the inner soles out and that helped keep my feet cooler and yet were still comfortable.
let us know how you like them if you decide on trying them.

Veetack
12-04-2012, 02:45
I moved from Merrill barefoot shoes to the Brooks Cascadia 2 months ago. They have been comfortable and allowed me to hike pain free even with the Morton's Neuroma.
Looking at them today, they are showing serious wear at the toes, but its cosmetic only.
As you noted, the soles are very cushioned, yet they have less drop than most trail runners, so fit into the barefoot concept nicely. During the hotter hikes, I took the inner soles out and that helped keep my feet cooler and yet were still comfortable.
let us know how you like them if you decide on trying them.

I certainly will. I'll probably go from Hot Springs to Damascus on my Salomons, and that will about cash them out, so when I start from Damascus to Harper's Ferry this summer I'll be on some new shoes (broken in obviously). Strongly considering Brooks.

joshuasdad
12-04-2012, 09:44
Hiking with Solomons now (and generally love them compared to boots), but also now strongly considering the Brooks given the comments above. I'm getting failure in the toe area fabric already (after significantly less than 500 miles), perhaps from an overly tight toe area. I noticed that my feet get a bit sore in the area of the tears as well.

Do the Brooks have the nice Solomon-type laces and a generous rubber tip on the toes to help with impacts? Also, how is the volume of the shoe? -- a lot of the shoes are too tight on the top part of my foot near the ankle, resulting in toe numbness.

Malto
12-04-2012, 10:08
I also had fabric wear prematurely on my Salomons in the toe area. Many other hikers had the same issue in the exact same spot. I would think that weakness will be resolved in future releases. You may be spot on as to the cause.

1azarus
12-04-2012, 23:56
Now on my second pair of cascadias... Love them ... I am a super feet user, too.

Coffee
02-11-2014, 17:02
Resurrecting this thread on the Cascadia 7 ... which I am currently still using after about 350-400 miles including a JMT thru hike last summer. I love these shoes and they still have enough life left in them but I am thinking about a possible replacement before going on a AT section hike this spring and, if not then, definitely before another JMT thru hike in June.

I have read some negative reviews of the Cascadia 8 compared to the 7 and now the Cascadia 9 is out. Cascadia 8 is available on sale (roughly $100) while the Cascadia 9 is not available on sale ($120). Has anyone tried out the Cascadia 9 yet? It was only released a few weeks ago so I'm not sure if it has received much use yet. Also, if anyone has used the Cascadia 7 and 8 and can comment on how the 8s compare to the 7s, that would be helpful as well.

I am hoping that any replacement I purchase will last for a JMT thru hike plus a CT thru hike this summer (around 700 miles) but I know that might be a little optimistic for trail runners ... what's the most mileage hikers have been able to get out of a pair of Cascadias? Should I plan to start with a brand new pair for both the JMT and CT or risk using the same new pair for both?

Thanks!

DandT40
02-11-2014, 17:26
I have the brooks cascadia 7's and 8's and love them both. The 8's are a little more comfortable IMO, but that may just be in my head. They are so similar if I put them on blindly I probably would not be able to tell the difference. I'd have to look it up but the 8's seem a bit lighter - but only by a hair. I picked the 7's up on clearance when 8's came out and I'll probably pick up another pair of 8's just to have as another backup. I use the 7's as my gym running shoes and my 8's are my primary backpacking/hiking shoe right now (I have probably around 400 miles on them and still going strong). I haven't tried the 9's yet so I can't comment on those. Don't know how much help this is, but if it were me I would pickup whatever model is the cheapest. They are all great shoes and seem to last very well.

michaelosborne
02-11-2014, 18:00
Brooks Cascadia's are awesome shoes! I finally just stopped wearing my 7's when I bought my new pair of 9's. The 7's had virtually no break in time and I got absolutely no blisters on any backpacking trip. The 9's do require some break in time though but not as much as big clunky boots. Definitely a great shoe to check out!

kidchill
02-11-2014, 19:54
I thru-hiked in 2012 and tried 3 different models of shoes. I started with Salomon 3D ultra 2's. I liked these shoes before hiking in rain, on wet rocks, and trying to make it through river fords. After that, I had to change shoes! In my opinion the grip is absolutely horrible on the Ultras! I went from the Ultra's to Salomon XR Missions. Essentially, I was going SOBO, so by the time I hit Lincoln, NH my shoes were trashed. I wanted something different due to the lack of grip, and had heard good things about the Crossmax model. They didn't carry any, so I went with the XR Missions. The grip was significantly better, the fit was good, and they held up well. I was in CT and I ripped a massive hole in the XR Mission and was forced to buy a new pair. The only thing closely resembling the Salomons were Brook's Cascadia 7's. So, I snagged a pair of them. They lasted from CT to Southern VA, so I can't complain about the durability. Overall, the Cascadias have a relatively small drop, I felt as though the outsole was very flexible and had minimal shock absorption/padding (you WILL feel what you're walking on), the grip was not great (it wasn't necessarily bad, but it wasn't as good as the XR missions), and I also noticed the shoe is cut extremely low on the ankle. I'm not sure if the super low cut lead to lateral motion, but it was noticeably lower then the XR missions. I can't say that I wasn't happy with the Cascadias, but my next pair of shoes were the XR missions. After I returned from the trail, the first hikers I bought were the XR Missions.

Just some general stuff I realized while thru-hiking. Shoes are a very personal item! At the end of the day, I feel the most important thing is fit! I quickly realized that I had been wearing the wrong sized hikers in all of my hiking previous to the AT. When looking for a new shoe, prioritize what's most important to you! Grip is something that I simply can't do without! With a full pack, coming out of town, and trying to lay down 4 miles an hour for my first few hours of hiking, I NEED to know that I'm not gonna face plant when I hit that slick rock! I would also recommend getting some aftermarket insoles. The expectation from the manufacturer is that if you're gonna drop $100 on a pair of runners/hikers, you're probably gonna buy an insole, so they make very poor stock insoles. I always used Green Superfeet, but I've heard excellent things about Sole as well. I think the "life of the shoe" is seriously overestimated on the trail. Yes, I pushed those Cascadias from CT to Southern VA (that's a lotta miles!), but they were dead long before that. I find runners tend to start flattening out at 100 miles, and past 300 miles, they're really doing nothing for your feet in terms of shock absorption and support. If you go gortex, realize that at some point that gortex is gonna break down, or water will get inside, and it will take forever to dry! If you tend to kick rocks with your toes, look for shoes that have a reinforced toe, it doesn't have to be steel toe or anything, but I broke enough big toe nails to know I need some extra rubber out there! A few ounces difference on shoes really isn't that big of a deal. If you're talking barefoot runners vs leather boots, the boots are gonna feel like anchors! And, the most important thing to remember? HYOH! No, seriously though, take everyone's advice, heed their warnings, but at the end of the day, do what works best for you, especially with footwear! I can't tell you how many times section hikers were emphatically demanding that I NEEDED boots for PA! That my trail runners simply would NOT work for PA! That my feet were going to DIE in PA! Meanwhile, I didn't start hiking until I moved to PA, lol. And honestly, ME and NH were more abusing then any other state...Have fun hiking man! I'd be jealous, but I'm leaving in 3 weeks to hike the Camino de Santiago in Spain, so I'm also in the market for a new pair of kicks, lol.

hermit1970
02-20-2014, 17:38
I've worn Cascadias since 2006 although I've never had the 7s version. They wear very well, I've put lots of mile on them. They do have an aggressive lug sole but still not the best traction in wet conditions.

rocketsocks
02-20-2014, 17:57
on sale now...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks-cascadia-7-trail-running-shoes-for-men~p~6059y/

rocketsocks
02-20-2014, 17:58
on sale now...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks-cascadia-7-trail-running-shoes-for-men~p~6059y/
don't forget this for extra savings...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dealflyer/?amp;osid=message-bar-_-dealflyer-_-121611-_-30off