PDA

View Full Version : advice needed please

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 09:50
this is the year of my through hike dream.i want to stay for my sons graduation,of course i wouldnt miss it,so that puts me into a around june start.i am planning on starting near pawling new york,hiking south to harpers ferry.i then will find transportation to maine heading south to pawling.upon completion of that section it back to ferry south to finish.any input from the vast know how here would be cherished.intersted in the black fly, mosquito status during these time frames weather, water, etc.

HikerMom58
12-03-2012, 09:57
Well, you should be good weather wise in VA that time of year. The water situation is dry here but you can def. hike through. You know a trail angel that will help you through in Central VA. You just have to WALK... ;) btw... it's going to be in the 70's today!! I love VA weather. :)

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 09:59
Well, you should be good weather wise in VA that time of year. The water situation is dry here but you can def. hike through. You know a trail angel that will help you through in Central VA. You just have to WALK... ;) btw... it's going to be in the 70's today!! I love VA weather. :)thanks for the input k d

Slo-go'en
12-03-2012, 13:01
I'd just start in HF and head north, then flip back to HF. Why make it more complicated? I don't see where you gain anything by going south first for awhile. It just makes the logistics more complicated.

If it's only going to the graduation is what's holding you back from starting earlier, you could just take a few days or a week off to go home for the event. If you started in early April with the rest of the gang, you'd be about ready for a break at that time.

Cookerhiker
12-03-2012, 13:10
If you're not starting 'till June, I'd hike north from Pawling. The worst part in the first month is mosquitoes but you'll reach the Whites and Maine at the best time of year to hike them - you should miss the black flies. July is a pretty hot month everywhere but the best place to be in July is the Whites - and that's where you'll be! You'll reach Katahdin (743 miles from Pawling) around August 1 after which you make your way back to Pawling and start hiking SOBO.

fredmugs
12-03-2012, 13:18
Wherever you plan to start I agree it's best to head north and only flip-flop once. Unless of course you're a politican and flip flopping is in your nature.

I did 2 section hikes in June this year and had no problems with black flies although the year before I saw several hikers who were chewed to bits around Stratton.

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 15:12
ive been training for a long while now,but i was wanting to spend some time tempering my legs and knees.i was thinking this would give me a greater chance of making it without injury.if i headed north from prawling is there a break in period before it gets demanding right out of the gate?

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 15:18
Well, you should be good weather wise in VA that time of year. The water situation is dry here but you can def. hike through. You know a trail angel that will help you through in Central VA. You just have to WALK... ;) btw... it's going to be in the 70's today!! I love VA weather. :)looking forward to the trail angel treatment for sure!!

Cookerhiker
12-03-2012, 15:28
ive been training for a long while now,but i was wanting to spend some time tempering my legs and knees.i was thinking this would give me a greater chance of making it without injury.if i headed north from prawling is there a break in period before it gets demanding right out of the gate?

It's not that steep or rough north from Pawling. You'll have a very steep but brief descent to St. John's Ledges on your second or third day - just take it slow. Afterwards, it's flat along the Housatonic and not bad until the descent from CT's Bear Mountain (as opposed to NY's) into Sages Ravine where you'll again take it slow.

Now if you started south from Pawling, it wouldn't be too hard for the first 44 miles but once you get to Harriman Park which starts at Bear Mountain NY, then you face some steep climbs and descents until reaching Greenwood Lake. So I think that regarding the impact on your body at the hike's beginning, you're better off going north from Pawling.

HikerMom58
12-03-2012, 22:21
looking forward to the trail angel treatment for sure!!

Oh yes :) Then, after reading Cookerhiker's advice about hiking up North you will be ready for some "easy hiking":eek: through VA with more trail angels. Just because....
I like to help out hikers but it's extra special to help out ones that I've "met" on WB.

Hairbear
12-04-2012, 10:56
It's not that steep or rough north from Pawling. You'll have a very steep but brief descent to St. John's Ledges on your second or third day - just take it slow. Afterwards, it's flat along the Housatonic and not bad until the descent from CT's Bear Mountain (as opposed to NY's) into Sages Ravine where you'll again take it slow.

Now if you started south from Pawling, it wouldn't be too hard for the first 44 miles but once you get to Harriman Park which starts at Bear Mountain NY, then you face some steep climbs and descents until reaching Greenwood Lake. So I think that regarding the impact on your body at the hike's beginning, you're better off going north from Pawling.thats the kind of stuff im looking for ,now heading north from pawling will i be marching head on into the black fly clouds.im from upstate n y so i remember them from my youth ,but cant remember the time frame of their life cycle.....thanks for all the help so far.

max patch
12-04-2012, 11:04
If it was me I'd just hang out a couple extra weeks at home and then do a traditional SOBO. Really no need to complicate matters.

Hairbear
12-04-2012, 11:25
If you're not starting 'till June, I'd hike north from Pawling. The worst part in the first month is mosquitoes but you'll reach the Whites and Maine at the best time of year to hike them - you should miss the black flies. July is a pretty hot month everywhere but the best place to be in July is the Whites - and that's where you'll be! You'll reach Katahdin (743 miles from Pawling) around August 1 after which you make your way back to Pawling and start hiking SOBO.you already answered sorry....

Hairbear
12-04-2012, 11:50
if i did head north would i be around alot of people, or would this be a strange enough time frame to avoid the crowds

Cookerhiker
12-04-2012, 13:30
if i did head north would i be around alot of people, or would this be a strange enough time frame to avoid the crowds

The thruhikers are pretty well spread out. I did a 44 mile section hike from Bear Mountain, NY to Pawling starting June 5 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=102837) - only met one thruhiker. Not to say my experience is typical but I really don't think you'll feel crowded at the start. You'll meet some thrus (chances are they'll motor right past you) but the only crowds you'll encounter will appear in the Whites - not thruhikers as much as day hikers, peak baggers, section hikers, people doing hut-to-hut. Can't be avoided because the Whites are popular and their hiking season is short.

lukabrazi
12-04-2012, 16:14
I'm planning to do half this summer so I'm curious about why you are choosing to start at that location and flip. Is it to avoid crowds and get the best weather? Have you thought about starting southbound in June and not flip flopping? Just curious. Thanks!

Hairbear
12-04-2012, 18:20
I'm planning to do half this summer so I'm curious about why you are choosing to start at that location and flip. Is it to avoid crowds and get the best weather? Have you thought about starting southbound in June and not flip flopping? Just curious. Thanks!to sum it up best i would say that im very aware of the fact that my knees are my weak point.i thought if i could eat some miles down low first id strengthen them more at the start.the whites are the one place i want to see of all the a t so as soon as i felt my confidence level rise im maine bound.i really am not a crowd type of person,more of a loner so i dont want to move with the masses.i also thought i could take some of the cold and heat away to maximize my miles.the last reason is the statistics of sobo failure,im not wanting to become a statistic two months in.also i have very low altitude mountains here in the mid west so im not sure how my 18 mile a day pace will hold up in higher mountain areas.

Hairbear
12-04-2012, 18:23
to sum it up best i would say that im very aware of the fact that my knees are my weak point.i thought if i could eat some miles down low first id strengthen them more at the start.the whites are the one place i want to see of all the a t so as soon as i felt my confidence level rise im maine bound.i really am not a crowd type of person,more of a loner so i dont want to move with the masses.i also thought i could take some of the cold and heat away to maximize my miles.the last reason is the statistics of sobo failure,im not wanting to become a statistic two months in.also i have very low altitude mountains here in the mid west so im not sure how my 18 mile a day pace will hold up in higher mountain areas.
1 more thing i would like my thru to be all in one direction,so if i want another journey i can go the opposite direction on the next run.

greenmtnboy
12-04-2012, 18:27
For me weather is the most important consideration on timing. Bugs,etc. are extremely annoying but can motivate for long day mileage. Good luck and hope to see you out there on the trail!

Hairbear
12-04-2012, 18:34
For me weather is the most important consideration on timing. Bugs,etc. are extremely annoying but can motivate for long day mileage. Good luck and hope to see you out there on the trail!thank you hope to see you out there.thoreau is great reading i like the" masses of mankind lead lives of quiet desperation".

Drybones
12-04-2012, 21:02
Well, you should be good weather wise in VA that time of year. The water situation is dry here but you can def. hike through. You know a trail angel that will help you through in Central VA. You just have to WALK... ;) btw... it's going to be in the 70's today!! I love VA weather. :)

I lived in VA over 16 years, 5 in Roanoke, 5 in Broadway, 5 in Glade Spring...loved them all. VA weather can be interesting, hottest day one year in Glade was 92, that was in February, didn't get out of the 80's that summer. My first 3 weeks in Roanoke had 100 degree weather every day for 3 weeks, felt like 72 to me since I had just moved there from MS. In Broadway we had 3 weeks sub 0, lowest was -23, the fast flowing creek in the back yard froze 16-18 inches thick. All in all VA is the best place I've lived, great scenery, great people.

hikerboy57
12-04-2012, 21:43
im disappointed you are putting your sons graduation ahead of your dream. it just shows the lack of drive and ambition necessary to complete a thru hike:). should be able to hike with you in ny or ct, not heading to maine until august

coach lou
12-04-2012, 22:33

Pawling north to the summit of Bear Mountain is pretty smooth walking.

Hairbear
12-05-2012, 01:43
I'd just start in HF and head north, then flip back to HF. Why make it more complicated? I don't see where you gain anything by going south first for awhile. It just makes the logistics more complicated.

If it's only going to the graduation is what's holding you back from starting earlier, you could just take a few days or a week off to go home for the event. If you started in early April with the rest of the gang, you'd be about ready for a break at that time.wont leave till june.im my youngest sons means of support right now.hes going into the marines after school.

Hairbear
12-05-2012, 01:44
im disappointed you are putting your sons graduation ahead of your dream. it just shows the lack of drive and ambition necessary to complete a thru hike:). should be able to hike with you in ny or ct, not heading to maine until augustwould enjoy meeting you.

coach lou
12-05-2012, 06:42
wont leave till june.im my youngest sons means of support right now.hes going into the marines after school.

oorah!!!!!!!!!!! Semper Fi Dad!

OzJacko
12-05-2012, 08:36
If you're not starting 'till June, I'd hike north from Pawling. The worst part in the first month is mosquitoes but you'll reach the Whites and Maine at the best time of year to hike them - you should miss the black flies. July is a pretty hot month everywhere but the best place to be in July is the Whites - and that's where you'll be! You'll reach Katahdin (743 miles from Pawling) around August 1 after which you make your way back to Pawling and start hiking SOBO.
If you went a bit slower you could drop by Monson on the 12th on your way back to HF.;)

Hairbear
12-05-2012, 18:29
hows your preperation going oz.i dont want to move too slow as old as i look someone might bury me lol.

Hairbear
12-05-2012, 18:31
oorah!!!!!!!!!!! Semper Fi Dad!im really proud of him,he will make a good marine.he is in high school and took 6th place at a kentucky body building competition.he is a power house for sure.

coach lou
12-05-2012, 18:43
im really proud of him,he will make a good marine.he is in high school and took 6th place at a kentucky body building competition.he is a power house for sure.

Being a good Marine is in your head, not your body.

OzJacko
12-05-2012, 18:49
hows your preperation going oz.i dont want to move too slow as old as i look someone might bury me lol.
Preparation??
Oh, every day I get up and walk a bit.
By March I shoould be good at it.;)

Hairbear
12-05-2012, 18:51
Being a good Marine is in your head, not your body.im sure they will get his head right,he could use a little dicipline lol.

Hairbear
12-06-2012, 14:27
ok one more question if i may.if i did just head sobo would resupply be close enough that i could slow up from the start for a couple weeks,or would i be packin heavy to do this?

Cookerhiker
12-06-2012, 15:14
ok one more question if i may.if i did just head sobo would resupply be close enough that i could slow up from the start for a couple weeks,or would i be packin heavy to do this?

A SOBO hike starts with the 100 Mile Wilderness (after Katahdin to Abol Bridge) where resupply isn't real convenient. White House Landing offers limited supplies and the chance for a good meal while staying there. If your slow starts equates to 10 mpd, then the math says 10 days worth of food without considering WHL.

My concern for you on a SOBO is starting out with the Katahdin climb and descent vis-a-vis your knees since you stated earlier that they were your weak point. If you make it through Katahdin OK, the 100 Mile Wilderness at a leisurely pace isn't as strenuous as further south in Maine. But even smaller mountains can be taxing. The SOBO descent down Pleasant Pond Mountain (south of Monson but before the Bigalows) is very steep.

And then a June start from Maine means both black flies and mosquitoes as well as higher creek levels for your fording than later in the summer.

max patch
12-06-2012, 15:24
My concern for you on a SOBO is starting out with the Katahdin climb and descent vis-a-vis your knees since you stated earlier that they were your weak point.

I think if someone is concerned about knee issues there is plenty of time to strengthen the muscles around the knee via weight training for a NOBO hike much less a SOBO and I would encourage them to get started on a program

Years ago I saw a doc about knee issues and he gave me a list of exercises to do. Nothing on that that list that you can't do at the Y. Shoot, nothing on that list that I can't do at home on my home unit.

Hairbear
12-06-2012, 17:54
ok thanks for the help your advice was taken.im thinking about going north out of prawling now,dont get the feeling im frail but i know my body,25 years of being on tree spikes has taken its toll.im even going to go get them looked at soon as possible to start the build up.i can hike more than a 15 mile average now ,just dont know how that will hold up in the mountains.