PDA

View Full Version : 2 days and counting

Thumper 2006
05-24-2005, 14:11
Whats up everyone,

Well it is finally here, 2 days till I leave for ME for my southbound thru-hike. Things are not exactly as I would want them, for starters Katahdin is still not open so we are just going to start at Katahdin Stream Campground, hike the 100 mile wilderness, and hopefully get a ride back to Baxter, hike Katahdin, then go back to Monson. It sucks but that is the only thing we can do. Anyway, is there any last minute advice from anyone that may be usefull. Thanks for everyones help on this website for making the planning alot easier.

Thanks

A-Train
05-24-2005, 14:30
Advice?

Have fun, take it slow in the early going even if you feel good, take lots of pictures, write down peoples names and contact info, go swimming a lot, try to camp a lot in the 100 mile, don't take the trip for granted, don't rush the miles, enjoy yourself and do what makes you happy.

Remember, you may only get to do this once. Make sure you're getting the most out of it for yourself. Have a blast

Ender
05-24-2005, 15:18
Advice? Take lots of pictures of people. The views all end up looking the same, and it's the people you're going to want to remember anyway. Go slow, enjoy the views, write in your journal (I re-read mine at least once a year), and have fun.

leeki pole
05-24-2005, 15:49
When you're wet, cold, stinky and blistered, when the Trail seems like just too much to take;
When you can't swallow one more spoonful of Mac 'n' cheese, and you think that you've made a big mistake;
When the heat feels like an oven and your feet burn like you're walking on coals; and all you can think of is fried chicken, mashed taters and homemade rolls;
Then smile and say out loud...."I'm in Heaven!" Good luck and Godspeed! :)

plodder
05-24-2005, 16:43
Check the Ranger Station at K. Stream, not the gate, b4 you head south.

TOW
05-24-2005, 21:25
Whats up everyone,

Well it is finally here, 2 days till I leave for ME for my southbound thru-hike. Things are not exactly as I would want them, for starters Katahdin is still not open so we are just going to start at Katahdin Stream Campground, hike the 100 mile wilderness, and hopefully get a ride back to Baxter, hike Katahdin, then go back to Monson. It sucks but that is the only thing we can do. Anyway, is there any last minute advice from anyone that may be usefull. Thanks for everyones help on this website for making the planning alot easier.

Thanks
just take it slow, your legs will let ya know when it's safe to move ahead.......wanderer