PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit vs. OHM 2.0 ?????

colorado_rob
12-03-2012, 10:50
From numerous posts on WB, I'm hearing raves about ULA packs. I think I'm going to give these a try. My problem is that I cannot decide on an OHM 2.0 or a Circuit. The Circuit is a full 10 ounces heavier (very significant, despite what some on here might say). But the circuit is only a couple/few hundred cubic inches larger. My 3-season base weight on the At will be 10-12 pounds, and carrying up to 7 days of food max, so hardly ever heavier than 23-25 pounds total (maybe a day or two at the start of a 7-8 day leg). So both packs are well within the ULA guidelines for pack weight.

The basic question: What does the Circuit have that the OHM 2.0 does not? My understanding is that the two have the same hip belt. My kit is very compact, so I don't need the slight extra volume of the circuit. But is the Circuit significantly more comfortable give the same carried weight? Or is the extra weight merely thicker material, meaning slightly more durable (which I really don't need)? More bells and whistles (ditto, don't need)? I've looked at both on the ULA site completely, and I cannot tell.

Any help or thoughts on comparing these two packs is greatly appreciated, thanks!

blue indian
12-03-2012, 11:53
The main difference between the two is that the Circuit has a single aluminum stay, a padded backpanel, and rolltop closure, and ripstop side pockets whereas the OHM does not. The Circuit is built to withstand heavier loads much more comfortably and probably carry the same weight more comfortably.
I wouldn't say either pack comes with all the bells and whistles, which is partly how ULA keeps pack weigh down. One great feature of both packs are the removable components allowing you to further strip down the pack and save more weight. Therefore, it might be a good idea to go with the slightly larger pack (especially with the new bear canister rule in GSMNP) which you can always remove some of the components of the Circuit in which you deem unnecessary (potentially saving around 4.6 oz).
I am currently doing a pack comparison between the new Circuit and the G.G blaze ac 60. Gonna be a tough decision....

CarlZ993
12-03-2012, 12:17
The main difference between the two is that the Circuit has a single aluminum stay, a padded backpanel, and rolltop closure, and ripstop side pockets whereas the OHM does not. The Circuit is built to withstand heavier loads much more comfortably and probably carry the same weight more comfortably.
I wouldn't say either pack comes with all the bells and whistles, which is partly how ULA keeps pack weigh down. One great feature of both packs are the removable components allowing you to further strip down the pack and save more weight. Therefore, it might be a good idea to go with the slightly larger pack (especially with the new bear canister rule in GSMNP) which you can always remove some of the components of the Circuit in which you deem unnecessary (potentially saving around 4.6 oz).
I am currently doing a pack comparison between the new Circuit and the G.G blaze ac 60. Gonna be a tough decision....

I"m not aware of the Smokey's requiring a bear canister. Is this new? They didn't require it last summer when I sectioned hiked there.

bigcranky
12-03-2012, 13:01
I have owned both a Circuit and an original Ohm.

Original Ohm: carries up to 25 pounds very well. Above that it starts to collapse and becomes uncomfortable, at least on my back. The Ohm has a drawstring main opening and a terrific stretchy mesh main outside pocket. If your base weight were under 10 pounds, I'd say go for it. The Ohm 2.0 has a better hip belt, but I'm not sure how much it will help with loads over 25lbs.

Circuit: much better for carrying loads in the 30+ pound range. With 7 days of food, you'll hit that. I did not like the roll-top closure nor the mesh front pocket. The Circuit has enough space for my winter gear.

My custom Circuit: I ordered a custom Circuit with the stretchy front pocket and the drawstring main closure from the Ohm, in a nice dark blue fabric. ULA did the extra work for a very reasonable fee. So now I have a year-round pack that carries well and has the features I want.

My base weight is in the 12-15 pound range depending on the season.

Rasty
12-03-2012, 13:07
I debated this exact same question for months and finally went with the circuit because I mostly go 6 to 7 days at a time.

colorado_rob
12-03-2012, 13:11
I"m not aware of the Smokey's requiring a bear canister. Is this new? They didn't require it last summer when I sectioned hiked there. There's currently just one small section that has that rule, easily passed through w/o an overnight stay.

thanks for the info on the two packs. I guess I'm leaning towards the Circuit... tough call ... I'm going to give ULA a call and talk to them as well. I sure wish I could actually check these two packs out. Actually, maybe that's the answer: buy both, return one. duh! anyway, thanks for the info so far.

Deacon
12-03-2012, 13:12
I've found the Cicuit medium somewhat shorter than other brand packs medium. I've been measured at 19.5-20" hipbone to 7th vertebrae, which calls for a medium. I had to buckle my hip belt higher on my waist, very tightly. Otherwise the pack would start falling away at my shoulders.

If I were to buy a Circuit again I would get the long. I don't think the circuit does well over 30 lbs.

Studlintsean
12-03-2012, 14:59
I ust got a ULA Circuit Saturday from Mt. Rogers Outfitters and hope to do a short 1-2 nighter this month. I cant wait...

colorado_rob
12-03-2012, 16:51
One more question, and forgive me for not asking originally: Any thoughts on the two different options for the pack shoulder straps, the standard, traditional "J" straps or the "S" straps that have the double curve?

Free shipping on ULA products right now, by the way (until 12/20).

blue indian
12-03-2012, 18:02
I took my Circuit for a test walk today and was having this problem. I just couldnt seem to get the pack to not feel like it was falling away from me and i noticed a small gap between my shoulders and the shoulder strap where it connects to the backpanel. I figured it was the shoulder strap shape ( I have the s curve, recommend by Chris for my body shape) and not a size problem. The blaze ac 60 (which i also hiked with for a couple of hours) felt a lot more connected with my body.

Rasty
12-03-2012, 18:15
I took my Circuit for a test walk today and was having this problem. I just couldnt seem to get the pack to not feel like it was falling away from me and i noticed a small gap between my shoulders and the shoulder strap where it connects to the backpanel. I figured it was the shoulder strap shape ( I have the s curve, recommend by Chris for my body shape) and not a size problem. The blaze ac 60 (which i also hiked with for a couple of hours) felt a lot more connected with my body.

Did you tighten the tensioner on top of the shoulder strap?

atmilkman
12-03-2012, 19:40
Did you tighten the tensioner on top of the shoulder strap?
You can try shifting the hip belt up and down also, with moving it up probably the way to go.

MuddyWaters
12-03-2012, 20:00
I have an original Ohm, and a circuit. I use my Ohm below 20lbs , and the Circuit above that.

My ohm is 22.5 oz w/o accessories. My circuit in med, small belt w/o accessories or shock cord, is 34 oz.

On the 2.0, the Ohms hoop stay does not connect to the belt. This will permit some sag between belt/pack. On the 1.0 it connects to the belt, and this makes a quite rigid connection with your hips.

The big difference is the aluminum stay on the circuit. This will hold the pack shape, and also transfers load to the velcro hipbelt support. You should bend this stay to match your back closely in the curve of your back, but be slightly off it at shoulders so it doesnt poke you when arching your back. You want to keep the load close to your back.

The Circuit is a much more supportive pack for heavier loads than my 1.0. That difference would be less for the 2.0, but I find I really need still to have a CCF pad folded inside to prevent a "buckle" from occuring in the pack against back.

I can carry about the same in both packs, volume wise. The stretchy mesh pocket of the Ohm is superior, but less durable. The Ohms side pockets are great also and stretch out huge. The drawcord closure is superior IMO to the circuits normal roll top, which is aggravating to try to roll closed while compressing stuff down when the pack is full.

But, you can get your pack customized any way you want too. You can also get it out of cuben for an extra $100.

blue indian
12-03-2012, 22:57
I tightened and loosened them. Neither seemed to help much. To move the belt up or down, do I simply un strap the Velcro, and move to the desired position?

Rasty
12-03-2012, 23:42
I tightened and loosened them. Neither seemed to help much. To move the belt up or down, do I simply un strap the Velcro, and move to the desired position?

Yes..............

atmilkman
12-03-2012, 23:47
That's all you need to do. It has velcro on both sides, just pry it apart and move it to a different position. It's a little tricky, definitely a two hand job. It's a little easier if you can get that 3rd and 4th hand. Make sure you get it centered just right.

Lyle
12-04-2012, 00:01
I've used a P2 for many years. Sitll use it in winter. As my gear has gotten more compact, the P2 was just too large and didn't have enough compression options to keep the load evenly distributed. I first went with a Conduit (now the CDT) that I got on close-out, but found it a bit too small. My gear all fit ok, but I drink and thus carry more water than most folks. I was afraid I would be too limited to supply myself for a dry camp.

I then was debating between the Ohm, Ohm 2.O or the Circuit. I decided to go for the middle and got the Ohm 2.0. Very happy with my decision. I've only used it for a short four-day trip on the Tahoe Rim Trail this past September. This had been a very dry year, so water sources were very questionable and many were dry. I carried three to four liters most of the time, two nights I dry camped, so topped off whenever I had the chance. The Ohm 2.0 was completely comfortable, and able to handle the extra load with ease.

I've never used the Circuit, so can't directly contrast them.

I love the compression cord on the Ohm 2.0. Very effective.

Firefighter503
12-04-2012, 04:36
On the 2.0, the Ohms hoop stay does not connect to the belt. This will permit some sag between belt/pack. On the 1.0 it connects to the belt, and this makes a quite rigid connection with your hips.

But, you can get your pack customized any way you want too. You can also get it out of cuben for an extra $100.

I thought this was debunked (I am asking, not arguing). I have a 2.0 and have no issues with sagging at all. Granted, I have only had about 16 lbs in my pack at its heaviest. Also, I didn't realize that they would make the packs out of cuben - any idea what the weight savings are (as a percentage) per pack?

Firefighter503
12-04-2012, 04:39
Also, I meant to mention that if you can move the where the load lifter attaches to the shoulder straps - that slider should sit right about on your collar bone.

tiptoe
12-04-2012, 10:22
Regarding the strap style for the Circuit, email ULA with your pertinent info (sex, height, weight, chest/bust size, shoulder circumference, maybe) and they will advise. That's what I did, and was happy with the result.

dornstar
12-04-2012, 15:23
Regarding the strap style for the Circuit, email ULA with your pertinent info (sex, height, weight, chest/bust size, shoulder circumference, maybe) and they will advise. That's what I did, and was happy with the result.
Same here.

They were extremely helpful in deciding between the OHM and Circuit as well. Based on my style, they advised me to get the circuit and helped with the fitting. Couldn't be happier.