PDA

View Full Version : Efoods Direct

fiveonomo
12-03-2012, 12:39
I recently had the opportunity to try some food from Efoods Direct and the food is great. My initial interest in this company had nothing to do with backpacking. Then I was thinking, this should work on the trail. So.....how many of you guys ever used Efoods Direct on the trail? Pros and cons? Thanks in advance.
Scott

fiveonomo
12-03-2012, 14:40
Nobody has used these guys........?

Feral Bill
12-03-2012, 14:50
Looking at their site I don't see them as meeting my hiking needs. Way too large quantities. More for preppers, which I am not.

fiveonomo
12-03-2012, 15:59
Thanks bill. The meals I received today all come in a package that contains 4 servings. It didn't look like it at first but after I cooked it I found that there was definitely four servings there. I can eat 2 but not 4. Also you cannot just add hot water to the bag, you need to cook it in a pot which creates more dirty dishes where like the Mountain House foods you can just add boiling water to the package. Anyway, I was hoping these would work as they are very tasty. Thanks again for your input.

scree
12-03-2012, 18:51
You could portion them out into Ziplock freezer bags and pour boiling water directly into the bags. This would work, but breaking the seal on the storage packs could lead to spoilage if you don't cook quickly enough.

fiveonomo
12-04-2012, 22:10
That's a good idea scree. Each package has four servings in them, I need two for me so one pack would give me two meals. Will a normal zip log bag handle boiling water? If it will this will work.

Rasty
12-04-2012, 22:19
That's a good idea scree. Each package has four servings in them, I need two for me so one pack would give me two meals. Will a normal zip log bag handle boiling water? If it will this will work.

Zip Lock Brand Freezer Bags will handle simmering water. No reason to come to a full boil. 190 degrees is sufficient for Freezer Bag Cooking.

excuses
12-04-2012, 22:21
use the freezer bags, they are a bit thicker.

RodentWhisperer
12-04-2012, 23:20
Their selections don't fit my tastes, but I could see their appeal. I agree with the others-- portion down the meals. The problem with doing that, of course, would be that you'd then expose the food to air, which would reduce its shelf life. Maybe on a thru-hike you could have the unopened packages sent to you via mail, and then you could open them up, portion down the meals, and be good until the next stop? Just a thought.

liberty lover
12-05-2012, 00:46
I'm with Feral Bill,these are for preppers,try pack-it gourmet.

wcgornto
12-05-2012, 02:16
Zip Lock Brand Freezer Bags will handle simmering water. No reason to come to a full boil. 190 degrees is sufficient for Freezer Bag Cooking.

They will handle boiling water with no problem. The freezer bags will, but not the storage bags.

wcgornto
12-05-2012, 02:18
try pack-it gourmet.

Hawk Vittles is also very good.

Don H
12-05-2012, 08:30
I'm with Feral Bill,these are for preppers,try pack-it gourmet.

Well we wouldn't want to use something that's not actually intended for backpacking.

Tyvec anyone?

fiveonomo
12-05-2012, 21:50
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I ask about these meals because I will already have them on hand. Not really because the government has totally crumbled, of course the way we are going.............let me stop. I also keep things on hand for power outages, snow storms, floods, natural disasters and those kinds of things.
A thru hike for me is out of the question for at least 15 years, to be truthful the desire to do that is not there either, not right now. My hiking will be a night or two, nothing extreme. I think with all of that said these will work. Thanks again all.
I also plan to make a Tyvek ground cloth as soon as G-FOURce sells me his Sierra Designs Lightning 2 tent......hint hint buddy if you are reading.

urbansix
12-06-2012, 20:39
I might just give these a try.

scree
12-07-2012, 15:25
This will work, but if you're just going out for a night or two it would be cheaper and pretty trivial to Ziplock regular food like oatmeal, protein powder, dehydrated vegetables, noodles, etc and use the same method. It's likely cheaper than going with a premium dehydrated foods seller. I've also found that Mountain House and related dehydrated foods tend to do weird things to my digestion due to all the salt and extra stuff they seem to throw in. With this kind of set up, all you're going to need is a water source, spoon, sparks, pot/canteen cup/something to heat water in, an alcohol stove w/denat, a stove stand, and a windscreen. Very quick and easy. This is usually how I do it for day trips up to 2-week trips. Fortunately I don't get bored with repetitive meals.