PDA

View Full Version : Geotagging on the trail

ATMountainTime
12-03-2012, 15:27
HI PETER.....Whats happnin?

I have looked around for a solution to this and thought i might lean to you guys to see whats the best way to go about geotagging.

Essentially I am trying to create a photo journal of my future thru hike, but want to be able to post with pic, with GPS co-ordinates etc as im hiking the trail. My mothers elementary science class wants to be able to follow along.

Is there an app anyone has used or Camera/GPS etc?

Please no snarky comments, i dont want to take electronics at all, but if it means getting some kids involved in the outdoors then Im game.

Veetack
12-03-2012, 17:37
A Spot locator combined with a basic camera should do the trick.

CarlZ993
12-03-2012, 17:58
A Spot locator combined with a basic camera should do the trick.
+1 for the Spot.

Cosmo
12-03-2012, 21:18
Garmin makes a GPS unit with an integral camera. It's kind of pricy, and getting the photos out to others may be complicated (I've never used one with a camera so YMMV). A GPS enabled smartphone might be better.

Cosmo

ATMountainTime
12-03-2012, 21:53
Just found out my IPhone has it already integrated. LOL Sorry for the stupid post. :)

FatHead64
12-06-2012, 14:34
Yes, the iPHone and some of the photo apps do it. Another option (good for backpacking) would be that some of the "tough" cameras have GPSr built in. One example would be a Olympus TG-1iHS. These are also cheaper than the Garmin GPSr units (although I am a fan).

alverhootzt
12-06-2012, 15:42
My Panasonic DMC-ZS7 camera has GPS.