PDA

View Full Version : Guitar on the trail?

Popnfrsh24
12-03-2012, 20:43
Hey all!

I'm planning on doing the entire AT this upcoming march, and I am juuuuuust starting to plan everything out. Late I know, but I know I can get it all done.

The first question that I need to figure out is.....is it practical to bring some type of guitar on the trail? I'm a huge guitarist, I play every day, and I think it would be so awesome to bring one along so I can play on the trail. But i have heard from multiple people to ditch the guitar because its just too much weight. Can anyone back this up?

i don't want it to be a burden, and most people I have talked to said that I would be too tired to play, but I disagree. I'm sure if there is any free time on the trail, I will bust it out and jam In the wilderness. I am also thinking about buying a cheap plastic kids guitar or an acoustic travel guitar, which is much smaller in size. Hopefully that would help out a lot.

A
what do you guys think? I honestly don't think there is ANY way I'm not bring some type of guitar, I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen anyone bring one along, and if so, did they usually have some time to play it pretty extensively?

thanks!

popnfrsh

hikerboy57
12-03-2012, 20:51
its a burden but its great to have along.i didnt bring mine, but i met a guy on the bus to medway shelter stu who told me he played. met him on the trail a few days later and he was sitting around playing a beautiful taylor acoustic.let me play it for a while. few days later hooked up with some sobos ,mandela and terranauta, who had a small backpacker guitar. not as much fun as playing the taylor, but still cool. keeping it dry is the biggest issue, along with the extra weight. i love to play, but dont think i would ever pack one.
shelter stu, by the way also had brought his dog, and seven bottles of wine, not found on most pack lists.
as far as playing it, youll have some wholl enjoy your playing, many more who wont. discretion is advised

Dogwood
12-03-2012, 21:12
I've seen several thru-hikers who carry SMALL guitars or 3 string ukes on hikes. In my experiences, rarely does anyone haul even the smallest of stringed musical instruments the entire length of their thru- hikesl They either get tired of hauling and protecting it or someplace along the way it gets damaged. Obviously, if you are planning on taking a guitar or uke to a trail for extended periods these things might wisely be considered up front. Another thing you might consider is NOT ALL people will appreciate your strumming no matter how well you play, or think you play, or how popular the songs you choose to play. Not everyone will appreciate your perfect strumming around the perfect campfire creating the perfect camping scene!

AllenIsbell
12-03-2012, 21:24
Learn how to play a harmonica and you'll be set!

Lone Wolf
12-03-2012, 21:54
if you can play like dave gimour, larry keel or warren haynes the bring it. otherwise, no.

HikerMom58
12-03-2012, 22:05
Popnfrsh... I heard you when you said, you love to play... it doesn't matter if you are good or not. If it makes you happy then you should bring it/ play it. Make sure you won't be worried about it getting banged up, along the way, as that will take away the fun of carrying it along with you. Personally, I LOVED hearing anyone who could play. I agree not everyone will love it but you will find that most will. Also, when you get to Trail Days they have a hikers talent show... you can play in that! :)

johnnybgood
12-03-2012, 22:46
My advice to you is find thru hikers here that will share your enthusiam of trail music that you can hike with leaving Springer. The odds of finding a receptive audience every night will be a challenge and you must know that not everyone will find your guitar playing soothing to the soul.

Be respectful of other people and you will find they will be more tolerant of you and your guitar playing.

Slo-go'en
12-04-2012, 02:37
I've heard the pawn shop in Erwin is the place to find a good backpacker's guitar for cheap ;)

Lyle
12-04-2012, 09:01
Had a friend who made a case for his, shaped to the guitar, our of Kelty pack cloth years ago. The case matched his pack exactly. He, or a group of friends who also played, carried that guitar about half way across the country. Whoever carried the guitar that day, got to play it in the evening. They would just strap the guitar to the back of their pack. Of course that was in the day of frame packs, so was easier to do. They played every night.

The guitar met it's initial demise outside a Laundromat in Kansas, I believe, when a car backed into the pack/guitar while it was leaning against a bench. It was resurrected with Elmers Glue and duct tape, and lasted another couple of months, but eventually succumbed to the injuries sustained.

All this to say, yes, you can carry a guitar if you want. And from what I witnessed, it will be played. Course, we weren't staying in shelters, so not sure how the social implications may work out.

jeffmeh
12-04-2012, 09:28
Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances play "The Riddle Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xqI_4btnc)."

flemdawg1
12-04-2012, 09:52
There's always one person that tries to bring a guitar each year. Most don't finish the trail with it. I've become much more active in my playing the last year and have considered bringing one on my next hike. Most likely it would be a guitalele.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Guitar-Ukulele-Guitalele--GL1/dp/B004N6RBWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354629115&sr=8-1&keywords=guitalele

Hill Ape
12-04-2012, 10:50
Hey all!

1. The first question that I need to figure out is.....is it practical to bring some type of guitar on the trail?

2. But i have heard from multiple people to ditch the guitar because its just too much weight. Can anyone back this up?

3. i don't want it to be a burden,

4. I am also thinking about buying a cheap plastic kids guitar or an acoustic travel guitar, which is much smaller in size. Hopefully that would help out a lot.

5.what do you guys think? I honestly don't think there is ANY way I'm not bring some type of guitar,

thanks!

popnfrsh

forgive me slicing up you post, i've broken it down to just the questions

1. No, its not practical, don't let that stop you.
2. Yes, it is 3-5 pounds of unnecessary weight, temptation to drop it will be there, but you're half an hour or two hours a night of playing may be a huge factor in keeping your head in the right place on the trail. Only you can make that decision, and you won't really know until you're out there.
3. Even if you suck, I doubt anyone is gonna go Animal House on you.
4. don't buy a kids plastic, they don't stay in tune for sheet. I suggest looking at (my worthless 2 cents) the martin backpacker, washburn rover (my choice), or a go guitar.
5. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, this is your thru hike man. How long have you planned, dreamed, this is IT. Besides, you said it yourself, you honestly don't think there is ANY way you're not gonna bring a guitar. So pick a decent travel guitar or maybe try a ukelele. Worst that can happen is you pawn it in Erwin, or leave it trailside as Magic.

HikerMom58
12-04-2012, 11:00
Alligator... this is a straight forward thread. Look at the post with the dancing banana + the goof ball. That statement is uncalled for and has NOTHING to do with bringing a guitar on the trail + the statement isn't even a true one. :mad:

Hill Ape
12-04-2012, 11:19
oh geez.... ok ok, i apologize. save for that uncalled for and uncouth joke i think my response was more straight forward, more on topic, and and more relevant and specific than any other post in this thread... time out for me

HikerMom58
12-04-2012, 11:42
^ You're OK ^

MDSection12
12-04-2012, 11:48
I'd pick up one of the mini kid's acoustics at Wal-Mart. A friend of mine has one and we've taken it on hike before. It's not a good guitar by any means, but considering you will almost certainly not make it through the entire thru without damaging it it seems silly so spend any more. If money were no object I'd love a Martin Backpacker, but personally I wouldn't risk ruining or losing such a nice instrument.

Check eBay too, they have a lot of really cheapie guitars. I bought one for a penny (plus 29.95 shipping :mad: ) once and for the money it was about what I expected. For that little money you could buy a couple and arrange to have one mailed in every two months or so... They aren't going to last much more than that.

The Guitalele looks very cool too.

No matter what you do I'd bring plenty of strings and maybe a spare tuning machine; the last thing I'd want to do is carry a guitar that is no longer functional.

MDSection12
12-04-2012, 11:49
Wow my paragraph breaks disappeared... Sorry that hurts my eyes too. :mad:

oneoldgoat
12-04-2012, 11:53
Wow, I hope you do and I hope I run into you :)

Oneoldgoat

Rocket Jones
12-04-2012, 12:00
If you're willing to carry the weight, then go for it. I would suggest though, that you plan on not staying at the shelters. For every person who doesn't mind if you play, there will be one who ranks musical instruments on the trail right up there with the intrusion of cell phone conversations. It's their hike too, and you should be as considerate of their wishes as you hope they are of yours.

Creek Dancer
12-04-2012, 12:02
+1. As much as I enjoy music, I prefer peace and quiet when I am out there.

The Cleaner
12-04-2012, 12:06
One of the few items I've not found left behind at a shelter........maybe next year:eek:

MDSection12
12-04-2012, 12:16
I enjoy playing and listening to guitar normally... But I'd be pretty pissed if someone was playing at a shelter. I suppose if they were a classical virtuoso it could be nice for a short time... But just random noodling, or even worse cliched classic rock songs, would really annoy me. In my experience the guitar around the campsite always turns into 'I know this!' (plays intro then stops,) followed by 'Oh! I know this one!' (plays intro then stops,) etc. etc.

Not saying don't take it... Just saying enjoy it by yourself when you have the solitude, don't try to be the house band for every shelter you hit.

rich5665
12-04-2012, 12:16
Ran into a SoBo hiker in October that picked up a travel guitar in Vermont. I thought it was a little crazy at the time, then I realized I was carrying more weight on my section hike then he was for his thru

Feral Bill
12-04-2012, 13:20
People carry similar weight (and greater cost) in sensitive photo gear. Why not a pack guitar? The ultra light types can give you ideas to save weight elsewhere.

Seatbelt
12-04-2012, 13:26
Don't forget the impact that sub-freezing temps can have on an instrument, since you're starting in March.

Astro
12-04-2012, 13:45
You may want to check with the guy from Trek. His appeared small, but durable.

1azarus
12-04-2012, 18:26
i play the uke pretty seriously every day, and was getting ready to give my standard advice "consider taking a uke -- look at the Fluke Flea model -- largely plastic and sounds quite good" ...then saw the guitalele. interesting. my guess is that a guitar player might really like one -- but, hey, why don't you wander into a music store and try out a uke... a bit lighter and lots of fun!

Popnfrsh24
12-04-2012, 20:25
Wow! I'm really surprised at all the feedback I got, thanks!

I still have some more questions.

so a lot of you nay Sayers tell me to be weary of other people on the trail because I might annoy them, and I totally agree. I am a very considerate person and I don't want to annoy other people with my skills....but I guess my questions have diverted to another topic.

Sure, I would love to play at night and such, but most people won't want to hear that at shelters. So.....Do most people stay at shelters for the night? If I am with a group, does it make sense to camp a few hundred yards away from everyone else so I can play by myself? I actually prefer playing by myself, every time I have played in public other guitarist always wanna talk about the guitars they have and how they used to play in the 'glory days' haha I'm not making that mistake again!

also, is it unreasonable to play while I am hiking? I have enjoyed strumming along while walking around my neighborhood, is it possible to do this on the trail? I realize that if there is a steep incline or decline, that prolly won't be an ideal situation to play guitar, but are there more flatter areas of the trail where this is possible?

thanks!

HikerMom58
12-04-2012, 20:47
You know what Popnfrsh24?... You can do what ever you want too, as long as it works for you. If you can hike while playing, do it...It will be a trial and error type thing.
I had a feeling that you were going to come back on here and say that you are a considerate person. Most people on the trail are very considerate. So being the considerate person you are, you have no worries.

A good portion of the hikers do tend to camp in or around a shelter. It just naturally feels like a good resting place for most hikers. If you want to play alone then you will find a place to wander off to play even though you are spending the night at a shelter. If you do choose to play at the shelter, you will make sure no one has any objections..that's a given, right?

It's funny that you mention other guitarist wanting to talk about guitars and their "glory days"...we ran into that same thing the short amount of time we were out on the trail.... funny! :)

Unless a person has huge social issues all these things that you are asking just fall right into place once you are out on the trail. It's a much bigger deal talking about it on WB... you'll see what I'm saying once you get out there. :)

Like Red Dog said, just have a fun time!! Enjoy yourself. A lot of people gave you some great advice on carrying a guitar and things to think about that you may not have thought about... take all that useful information and use it to have a great hike. Wishing you the best!!! :)

Hill Ape
12-05-2012, 02:39
pop n fresh, another thing to remember. these forum members are not the law givers, although many act like a ruling cabal. most of the "accepted" wisdom on this board is just that, it's been handed down from on high by folks that have more miles on their boots, arrogantly oftentimes. they each bring their own filters and expectations of what the trail should be, and pass on that information like it should be treated as commandment. when you get out on the trail, you're going to see a whole lot of fierce individuals, doin what they want, and as long as it doesn't break any law (often times even if it does) they are not gonna care two sheets what you or anyone else think about them or their behavior. hikers are not a homogenized group that are of one mind. Hike Your Own Hike, and if anything you do offends someone, they can feel free to step away and Hike Their Own Hike. Happy Trails

prain4u
12-05-2012, 03:12
I second the concept that you should probably keep the bulk of the playing to private times away from others (as much as possible). I like a good musical jam session as much as anyone--but many people (including myself, sometimes) come to the trail to get away from "civilization" music, news, radio TV etc. If you are as considerate as you claim (and I have no reason to doubt you) then finding a good balance between your right to play music and their right to be away from the music could be a constant challenge and source of tension for you.

It is indeed extra weight. Most people find themselves reducing weight. I have a feeling that musical instruments are among the items jettisoned early in a thru hike--and definitely by Harper's Ferry.

I have heard numerous stories of stringed instruments getting damaged while on the trail--both from being excessively bumped and jostled and from the harsh and varying weather conditions. (Cold and very wet--hot and humid---followed by moderate and dry). It all takes its toll on a musical instrument.

It is one more thing to keep track of. One more thing to protect from damage. One more thing to pack up and carry.

Do what you want. Hike your Own Hike. If it works for you--go for it.

Personally, for me, the disadvantages of bringing a musical instrument would outweigh any benefit or joy that I would gain from bringing it with me.

WingedMonkey
12-05-2012, 13:01
also, is it unreasonable to play while I am hiking?

Have you backpacked before?

Slo-go'en
12-05-2012, 13:14
One thing for sure, you don't see many thru-hikers with musical instruments up here on the northern end of the trail, but you do see a lot of them in the south.

"I like a good musical jam session as much as anyone--but many people (including myself, sometimes) come to the trail to get away from "civilization" music, news, radio TV etc"

The "get away from it all" attitude is typical of many section or weekend hikers. Even so, few if any get upset about a little background music, live or canned, during the social dinner hours. Having sing alongs around the campfire in front of the shelter until well after dark will however, get others pissed off.

Seatbelt
12-05-2012, 14:11
There are a number of hostels along the trail that have musical instruments for one to play while staying over.
In 2000 a hiker named "Tuba Man" hiked most if not all of the trail carrying a small tuba, so I say go for it--only you know how much you can comfortably pack and carry. Thru-hikers in the past have carried many extras that the rest of us would never attempt. Good Luck!! Seatbelt

Moose2001
12-05-2012, 14:28
Hike Your Own Hike, and if anything you do offends someone, they can feel free to step away and Hike Their Own Hike. Happy Trails Hill Ape - you should learn what the meaning and purpose of the phrase "Hike your own Hike" is before you start telling others to follow it. Offending others or negatively impacting others is not part of "hike your own hike".

Feral Bill
12-05-2012, 14:49
There are a number of hostels along the trail that have musical instruments for one to play while staying over.
In 2000 a hiker named "Tuba Man" hiked most if not all of the trail carrying a small tuba, so I say go for it--only you know how much you can comfortably pack and carry. Thru-hikers in the past have carried many extras that the rest of us would never attempt. Good Luck!! Seatbelt Small tuba??? Here's the scoop http://www.aldha.org/tubaman.htm

Grampie
12-05-2012, 15:39
This is what I would suggest. Before you bring the guitar spend some time hiking the AT . Get to know the folks who you will be hiking with. Get to know the daily routine of being a thru-hiker and than decide if you want to take your guitar. If you can play as good as you say you can some folks some time may enjoy your music. The times I have been on the AT I have met several hikers that were carrying a guitar but couldn't play to save their ass. I surely don't want to listen to someone learning to play at my expense . Who knows. After you get a tast of the thru-hiker life it may not be what you expected. Remember 80% change their mind. Whatever you decide, go for it. Happy trails on myour new adventure.

Seatbelt
12-05-2012, 17:35
Small tuba??? Here's the scoop http://www.aldha.org/tubaman.htm

LOL I guess I forgot how fartin heavy that thing was!!!

swjohnsey
12-05-2012, 18:05
Guitars are O.K. but don't bring a cello.

MoodyBluer
12-05-2012, 19:09
I second the concept that you should probably keep the bulk of the playing to private times away from others (as much as possible). I like a good musical jam session as much as anyone--but many people (including myself, sometimes) come to the trail to get away from "civilization" music, news, radio TV etc. If you are as considerate as you claim (and I have no reason to doubt you) then finding a good balance between your right to play music and their right to be away from the music could be a constant challenge and source of tension for you.

It is indeed extra weight. Most people find themselves reducing weight. I have a feeling that musical instruments are among the items jettisoned early in a thru hike--and definitely by Harper's Ferry.

I have heard numerous stories of stringed instruments getting damaged while on the trail--both from being excessively bumped and jostled and from the harsh and varying weather conditions. (Cold and very wet--hot and humid---followed by moderate and dry). It all takes its toll on a musical instrument.

It is one more thing to keep track of. One more thing to protect from damage. One more thing to pack up and carry.

Do what you want. Hike your Own Hike. If it works for you--go for it.

Personally, for me, the disadvantages of bringing a musical instrument would outweigh any benefit or joy that I would gain from bringing it with me.

Have to agree here...hiked with a used martin backpacker guitar a few years ago and it succumbed to humidity/rain pretty quickly over just a 1 week period while in GA/NC...and I found that at end of day I WAS too tired to enjoy playing it...you are correct in that there are places to walk and strum along but not on that section of the AT...at the end of the 4th day pieces of the fretboard were beginning to peel away from the neck. Thankfully it was only $50 at a guitar center as it was a demo...

OzJacko
12-05-2012, 19:21
There's a few things I'm not looking forward to about crowded shelters but someone ending their day playing a musical instrument is not one of them.
Be considerate and should be no problem other than the "lugging" of it.
I would think middle of the day breaks (e.g. on top of a bald) and group campfires it will be very welcome by most.
I do doubt you'll still have it by the Whites though.
Maybe start without it (the first 2 weeks kicks everyones butt) and arrange to pick it up in Tennessee or thereabouts when you'll be fitter and have dumped 3 lbs of other stuff from your pack. You should also have started to be part of a "group" by then.

Popnfrsh24
12-05-2012, 20:07
Thanks for all your advice guys...I was thinking about getting a Martin backpacker...but it sounds like it will be ruined by the end of a few days :(

also, I think I am going to start without it until 2 weeks are up since the first 2 weeks are brutal.

thanks!

hikerboy57
12-05-2012, 21:22
Thanks for all your advice guys...I was thinking about getting a Martin backpacker...but it sounds like it will be ruined by the end of a few days :(

also, I think I am going to start without it until 2 weeks are up since the first 2 weeks are brutal.

thanks!
thats really good . you can find out for yourself the culture youll be hiking with before you decide it would be good for you or not.the few times i played while in maine, i was aware that although i had been asked to play, i wondered how my music was affecting some others experience.there are many opinions as to what constitutes "good music". ask your dad.or his dad

Lone Wolf
12-05-2012, 21:29

!it's only brutal if you're obese and tryin' to carry an 80 lb. pack otherwise the walk is pretty easy goin'. you're 24. don't sweat it

SassyWindsor
12-06-2012, 14:20
Guitar, no. Bagpipes, yes. Otherwise, I prefer the sound of the great outdoors.

ConstableCuffe
12-06-2012, 14:37
Here's something I plan on bringing. Well a ukulele version for me actually. It's a "pocket" guitar, not really pocket but very slim lined. I'm just going to have it slung around my front, and since my whole system is hammock based I plan on just using my ENO Pro Fly Rain Tarp to wrap it up if it starts raining. Other than that I'll honestly be sleeping with it :)
Anyway without further ado I present to you the pocket guitar! http://www.etsy.com/listing/101578079/custom-designed-pocket-guitar
The seller also has a bunch of other pocket sized string instruments.

Tinker
12-06-2012, 14:57

thanks!

The Martin guitar does not have a truss rod, so once it warps, that's it, plus the body doesn't hold up well.

I have a Go-Guitar, which I've owned for almost two years and it is superior to the Martin in playablility, durability, and tonal quality. I got the Go-Grande, which has a slightly deeper body. I play it regularly around the house and have taken it on several section hikes of up to 50 miles. It fits in a kayak stern gear storage/flotation bag with a roll-down top, and I carry it upside down, figuring that the headstock is a lot more durable than the body. The guitar still has the original strings and at this point I'm not going to replace them until one breaks.
http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html

booney_1
12-06-2012, 15:18
You might want to wait a few months (say near May), before hiking with the guitar. The two points I'd make is that days are short when you are starting. You don't have a lot of "extra" time. You are going to be hiking and eating and sleeping. If you are staying in a shelter and even one person is sleeping, it would be beyond rude to play (possibly dangerous!!), no matter how good you are.

Also...it's cold(at first)!! Do you usually play outside in the winter? Fingers and toes feel the cold first. I lose dexterity pretty quickly in cold weather.

MoodyBluer
12-06-2012, 16:37

thanks!

You will be OK with the Martin as long as it doesnt rain on you, which, as we know...is impossible....

magic_game03
12-06-2012, 17:16
Yea, you should bring a guitar. Oh yea, you should bring a guitar. Hell yea, you should bring a guitar. I say if you don't, everyone who remembers your name should give you a nuggie 'cause now we gotta sit around and listen to the same ole crap about how many miles we hiked and what kind of gear we all have. Bring it or pay up-nuggie style!

be sure to take request, too. :-)

Lone Wolf
12-06-2012, 17:54
Yea, you should bring a guitar. Oh yea, you should bring a guitar. Hell yea, you should bring a guitar. I say if you don't, everyone who remembers your name should give you a nuggie 'cause now we gotta sit around and listen to the same ole crap about how many miles we hiked and what kind of gear we all have. Bring it or pay up-nuggie style!

be sure to take request, too. :-)
better than listenin' to the same old crappy Dead tune

atmilkman
12-06-2012, 18:21
You could also bring an air guitar. The ones we used back in the 70's were weatherproof and virtually indestructible, and they weighed next to nothing. Or, if you have an iPhone you could bring one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZrglVC1aMo You could pop in your earbuds and not bother a soul and just jam away, but power becomes an issue. Or, just grab one from the 70's and the music is endless until your mouth gets tired but the issue of annoyance comes into play. Just two weight saving options.

hikerboy57
12-06-2012, 18:31
You could also bring an air guitar. The ones we used back in the 70's were weatherproof and virtually indestructible, and they weighed next to nothing. Or, if you have an iPhone you could bring one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZrglVC1aMo You could pop in your earbuds and not bother a soul and just jam away, but power becomes an issue. Or, just grab one from the 70's and the music is endless until your mouth gets tired but the issue of annoyance comes into play. Just two weight saving options.

downside of an air guitar for many - they go out of tune easily.

atmilkman
12-06-2012, 18:36
downside of an air guitar for many - they go out of tune easily.
That was everbody's major complaint when I played mine. I still bring it, it's a little old but it can still kick some serious azz with the right stimulation.

HikerMom58
12-06-2012, 19:13
That was everbody's major complaint when I played mine. I still bring it, it's a little old but it can still kick some serious azz with the right stimulation.

OK atmilkman..........2 words for ya.........BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

atmilkman
12-06-2012, 19:30
OK atmilkman..........2 words for ya.........BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
You got it. But I don't do Free Bird. I do however do a mean Highway Song. Both parts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5TIsBNjhE
p.s. you can call me milkman. I may be giving you a call when and if I get your way.

HikerMom58
12-06-2012, 19:44
That would be AWESOME , milkman!! I'll be looking forward to meeting you & hearing you play.. we have some guitars u can play here at the house 2. :)

Humbuck
12-06-2012, 22:38
+1. As much as I enjoy music, I prefer peace and quiet when I am out there.

My life is about music. Heck, I own a music store, but I agree with Creek Dancer.

fiddlehead
12-06-2012, 23:25
Didn't read all the posts but have this to say:
If I hadn't brought my guitar along on my thru-hikes in my 15 years of hiking, I wouldn't be playing now professionally.
But, I did make a rule: Play it every day or send it home.
I did 3 long distance hikes carrying it all the way.
The others, I sent it home.
I used the Martin Backpacker. 2 lbs without case.
I didn't baby it.
They hold up very well.
Carry an extra E string though.

hikerboy57
12-06-2012, 23:29
My life is about music. Heck, I own a music store, but I agree with Creek Dancer.kinda feel the same way, when i played i felt like it was an intrusion.

atmilkman
12-06-2012, 23:37
Ever since I got on this thread earlier I been beaten the hell out of the air guitars. I've done busted up 6 air guitars and completely destroyed an air pianna. It's flat on the floor and the keys are everywhere. And I owe it all to this thread, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, and a bunch of others. Thank you everyone who was and is involved. (Wife thinks I'm crazy)

Rocket Jones
12-07-2012, 08:30
My wife finally put her foot down when I started playing air-guitar to the Who.

atmilkman
12-07-2012, 10:44
My wife finally put her foot down when I started playing air-guitar to the Who.
Were you watching CSI Miami?

Train Wreck
12-07-2012, 10:49
Ever since I got on this thread earlier I been beaten the hell out of the air guitars. I've done busted up 6 air guitars and completely destroyed an air pianna. It's flat on the floor and the keys are everywhere. And I owe it all to this thread, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, and a bunch of others. Thank you everyone who was and is involved. (Wife thinks I'm crazy)

Do you have a tour scheduled yet?

WingedMonkey
12-07-2012, 10:58
Didn't read all the posts but have this to say:
If I hadn't brought my guitar along on my thru-hikes in my 15 years of hiking, I wouldn't be playing now professionally.
But, I did make a rule: Play it every day or send it home.
I did 3 long distance hikes carrying it all the way.
The others, I sent it home.
I used the Martin Backpacker. 2 lbs without case.
I didn't baby it.
They hold up very well.
Carry an extra E string though.

Ahhh...yes...1995 does come to mind every time this thread is resurrected.

:sun

atmilkman
12-07-2012, 10:58
Do you have a tour scheduled yet?
First show is Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge on March 18, 2013, followed by Springer Mt on the 20th, from there it's up in the "air". Got a show tentatively scheduled on April Fools Day in Franklin. This could be a good one. One of the very late dates is in Monson, Maine on Aug 12th. Just got that one last night with the event coordinator (hikerboy) last night.

Train Wreck
12-07-2012, 11:03
First show is Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge on March 18, 2013, followed by Springer Mt on the 20th, from there it's up in the "air". Got a show tentatively scheduled on April Fools Day in Franklin. This could be a good one. One of the very late dates is in Monson, Maine on Aug 12th. Just got that one last night with the event coordinator (hikerboy) last night.

Excellent! :sun

Half Note
12-07-2012, 11:45
I say go for it. You're smart for wanting to take an inexpensive guitar. It's stupid to take a nice one in all the elements.

Seldomseen
12-07-2012, 21:59
I carried my Martin Backpacker for a lot of the trail and it added 2.5 pounds to my pack. It was worth it because it was fun to noodle on at night.

Hoop
12-08-2012, 11:30
One of the few items I've not found left behind at a shelter........maybe next year:eek:

The past spring we came across an abandoned campsite near Justus Ceek, and among the debris lay a uke in its case.

Tinker
12-08-2012, 11:46
Again:

http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html (http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html)

Made in the USA, better sound and neck than the Martin Backpacker.

I just think it's important that anyone that enjoys playing buy something that is enjoyable to play. :)

and, did I say it's made in the USA (by the guy who apprenticed the owner of Taylor Guitars years ago, Sam Radding - nice guy - and he goes camping! He took a few days off in the middle of building my guitar to go camp in the desert for relaxation).

My guitar is the Go-Grande in mahogany - suggested as being more forgiving in damp weather than the walnut.

Popnfrsh24
12-08-2012, 19:03
Ok, so I think I am either going to get a go guitar or a Martin Backpacker. I'm guessing I will buy a case for it as well. Although, I have heard of people wrapping their guitars in trash bags, and they held up pretty fine. Can anyone vouch for this? Or is it better to get a legitimate case?

Tinker
12-10-2012, 00:49
Ok, so I think I am either going to get a go guitar or a Martin Backpacker. I'm guessing I will buy a case for it as well. Although, I have heard of people wrapping their guitars in trash bags, and they held up pretty fine. Can anyone vouch for this? Or is it better to get a legitimate case?

I had some 1/8" foam which I wrapped around my Go-guitar, leaving the bottom open (like a cone). I then put the guitar and foam into a kayak stern storage bag - watertight so far with about 20 days on the trail. The bag is showing a little wear. It is lighter than a typical vinyl bag. The foam gives the guitar a bit of bump protection.

ever4ward
01-19-2013, 22:44
Am building a 2lb short scale headless cigar box guitar to take on the AT. I prefer to play for myself by myself and plan to play during lunch or afternoon breaks. Parts will cost less than $30 so not a big loss should something happen to it. (I'll just send the parts home to build a new one when I get home). I would NOT want to listen to someone playing at campsite most nights but wouldn't go postal on anyone over it.

Holly
01-19-2013, 23:22
For sure bring an uke. My sister plays guitars obsessively too, but she learned pretty fast the big ones aren't worth lugging around when you can still bring out a nice tune on a little uke. Plus, bring it so everyone else can listen, too. If you're good it'll be nice for everyone else.

Theosus
01-23-2013, 00:39
Guitar, no. Bagpipes, yes. Otherwise, I prefer the sound of the great outdoors.

I'm just learning... I dont have a set of pipes, just the "chanter" part, its not much bigger than two drumsticks. Definitely easier to carry than a guitar,
but it's all about what you want to do.
Take a cheap one, if it doesnt work out, you've got firewood for the night!

tds1195
01-23-2013, 01:17
BOOM http://www.amazon.com/Martin-String-Backpacker-Travel-Guitar/dp/B000P63U74/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1358918373&sr=1-1&keywords=backpacker+guitar

chief
01-23-2013, 15:37
...Carry an extra E string though.
Which one?

chief
01-23-2013, 15:39
Never mind, you said "E" string as opposed to "e" string

flemdawg1
01-23-2013, 15:53
Which one?

If you're breaking the low E, a lil' trail guitar ain't going to last you very long.

Bill Strebler
01-23-2013, 16:53
Guitars in general are sensitive to extreme temperatures or rapid temperature changes, or extremes in humidity. There's always someone that recovered their guitar from a river or something and it comes away fine, but especially any kind of laminate is going to tend to be more susceptible to weather changes, which also tends to be the cheaper guitars, although I've run across some very expensive ones that didn't do too well either. I'd be inclined to either build something or buy a $29 guitar. I've seen decent (as in they sound like guitars and won't be falling apart from looking at them wrong) $29 full size guitars, but the tiny ones at WalMart also weigh next to nothing and don't take up much space- and if you accidentally break it in half- or someone that doesn't appreciate your playing does it for you- you won't worry so much about it, and you should be able to play it while walking- I have. Personally I think if I accidentally ruined anything that says Martin I'd never get over it.

One thing that wasn't really mentioned- if you're in a wilderness area, away from traffic and other sounds of the city, trying to enjoy the sounds of nature- the average guitar playing is going to stick out like a sore thumb half a mile away. If people are talking anyway that shouldn't generally matter, but you might consider stuffing some insulation or a dish towel or something inside so it doesn't project as much.

Now the obvious problem- how can you play a guitar while using hiking poles? Maybe a good walking cello would be a good thing.

RockDoc
01-23-2013, 17:18
I own a music shop and love instruments and music, but here's my take:

There are "hikers who camp" and there are "campers who hike", and instrument playing is mostly the realm of the latter. At the end of a hard day the hikers want to eat and sleep, without a lot of distractions or problems. The best part of their day was the hiking, and evening is their recharge and quiet reflection time. Yet evening is the best part of the day for the campers, and this means a huge bonfire, music (if available), sing-a-longs, elaborate meals, drinking, smoking, loud talking, laughing, basically a big party.

Often these two groups do not get a long very well, and I suggest that many of the long-distance hikers on the AT in the first group. the camper group is generally scarce, except for weekends in popular areas. But many of us have learned to carry ear plugs and our own shelter so we can escape pandamonium at shelters.

Having said that, I enjoy playing instruments at hostels, like Elmers which has a good music room. I sat in a rocking chair on his back porch and played his banjo for a long time. But I generally wouldn't have done that in a crowded shelter setting.

RockDoc
01-23-2013, 17:24
Oh, here's a definition of pandamonium (yes, there are AT shelters that fit this description):

pan·de·mo·ni·um [pan-duh-moh-nee-uhm]
noun 1. wild uproar or unrestrained disorder; tumult or chaos.

2. a place or scene of riotous uproar or utter chaos.

3. the abode of all the demons.

4. hell.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-23-2013, 17:33
if you carry one be considerate of other hikers ask if they mind your playing . Although I play a guitar and a banjo Personally at the end of a long day i dont want to hear someone playing a guitar.Just my personal take

FarmRookie 2015
01-24-2013, 23:33
When I do my though, 2015 or 16, I have debated whether or not to haul my Martin Backpacker. Here's why. Learning to be a half decent picker takes a long time and lots of practice. Going 5 or 6 months without picking will result in seriously degraded skills and capabilities. It will take a while to get the dexterity back. 10 or 15 minutes of exercise once a day would go a very long way toward minimizing that effect. Keep ing people up or otherwise bothering them would not be a problem.

takethisbread
01-25-2013, 10:27
my general impression has been that most hikers hate the hiker with a guitar. they avoid him if it all possible. playing at a shelter past hiker midnight shows lack of consideration. Thru hiking is a job and a hard one for most. from my experience, this is the feelings of most of the people i hiked with

Popnfrsh24
01-27-2013, 23:08

There are "hikers who camp" and there are "campers who hike", and instrument playing is mostly the realm of the latter. At the end of a hard day the hikers want to eat and sleep, without a lot of distractions or problems. The best part of their day was the hiking, and evening is their recharge and quiet reflection time. Yet evening is the best part of the day for the campers, and this means a huge bonfire, music (if available), sing-a-longs, elaborate meals, drinking, smoking, loud talking, laughing, basically a big party.

Often these two groups do not get a long very well, and I suggest that many of the long-distance hikers on the AT in the first group. the camper group is generally scarce, except for weekends in popular areas. But many of us have learned to carry ear plugs and our own shelter so we can escape pandamonium at shelters.

Having said that, I enjoy playing instruments at hostels, like Elmers which has a good music room. I sat in a rocking chair on his back porch and played his banjo for a long time. But I generally wouldn't have done that in a crowded shelter setting.

Ok, so I get it....playing after a long day might not be the best time do to it, since people might get perturbed and will just want to sleep. But what about during breaks during the day? How long do most people take time and just chill out from hiking during the middle of the day? I think that would be a perfect time do it.

swjohnsey
01-28-2013, 02:05
You will walk most of the day if you want to make it to Katahdin. The time you are not walkin' will be spent eatin', poopin, doin' laundry, etc.

MuddyWaters
01-28-2013, 03:03
Call Mountain Crossings, and ask them if they have ever shipped a guitar home for someone, after just 4 days.
You are far from the first that thought it would be a good idea.

If your pack is light enough, and you really are honest with yourself with expectations about how dead tired you will be when you do stop, then bring it. You can always send it home. Just be considerate of everyone else, esp in evening when sound carries a long way when its still.

prain4u
01-28-2013, 11:48

Ok, so I get it....playing after a long day might not be the best time do to it, since people might get perturbed and will just want to sleep. But what about during breaks during the day? How long do most people take time and just chill out from hiking during the middle of the day? I think that would be a perfect time do it.

You will walk most of the day if you want to make it to Katahdin. The time you are not walkin' will be spent eatin', poopin, doin' laundry, etc.

I think these posts sum it up pretty well. Some people are going to like hearing the guitar music--some are not. There probably won't be as much free time to play it during the middle of day as you might think on a thru hike--and probably not much of an audience to hear you in the middle of the day either (which is probably a good thing. A smaller audience--or no audience---cuts down on potential conflicts).

rocketsocks
01-28-2013, 11:56
i play the uke pretty seriously every day, and was getting ready to give my standard advice "consider taking a uke -- look at the Fluke Flea model -- largely plastic and sounds quite good" ...then saw the guitalele. interesting. my guess is that a guitar player might really like one -- but, hey, why don't you wander into a music store and try out a uke... a bit lighter and lots of fun!Best post to the question. Being familiar with these little plastic beaties, the'll take the humid and wet conditions of the trail. The martin back packer has no binding to protect the end grain, nor rosette around the sound hole. I think I'd tune the Uke to dgbe as apposed to eadg, and play it like a guitar, but what ever, it can be done. Have a great hike player.193151931619317 This backpacker guitar is modeled after the Martin. When on a trip to Martin in Nazareth PA, my Father and I saw it, and he decided he had to build one, and then he started one for me. Thus far I've only completed the building on the fret board and some kerffing, dad passed and I kinda like the openess of this one, showing off his skills,it may never play, But it has a truss rod not found in the ones being sold, at least not at the time of this building. and some Cocobolo on the head stock. show and tell over thanks for watching!

rocketsocks
01-28-2013, 12:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtSaOdXl3Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtSaOdXl3Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtSaOdXl3Q)

shameless plug for the Uke; We choose to hike the trial with guitar, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.....

bosborne
05-04-2013, 15:19
Just curious, how do you carry a guitar or a banjo? Put it into a waterproof bag and tie it to the outside of your pack?

rocketsocks
05-04-2013, 16:18
Just curious, how do you carry a guitar or a banjo? Put it into a waterproof bag and tie it to the outside of your pack?Yep...but don't forget to let it breath or it could/will get ruined...