PDA

View Full Version : Trash-Talkin'

April Lohmann
12-04-2012, 06:37
Getting this week's article out a little late, but think this one is important for all hikers to read. :-? Enjoy and Happy Trails!

http://walkingloon.blogspot.com/

moldy
12-04-2012, 10:53
Why don't the trail clubs put out and maintain trash cans at some road crossings? There are places on the AT where you can go a week without seeing trash can.

Rasty
12-04-2012, 10:59
Why don't the trail clubs put out and maintain trash cans at some road crossings? There are places on the AT where you can go a week without seeing trash can.

It kind of sad that I get hopeful that the next trailhead might have a trash can. Inevitably it doesn't and I keep carrying the trash. Now that's low expectations.

max patch
12-04-2012, 11:03
The FS used to put out those big brown trash cans in GA at several locations on fs42. They don't do it anymore and thats fine with me. Not necessary.

MDSection12
12-04-2012, 11:38
I get so sick of reading stuff like this frankly. Do you really think the people littering our trails are reading full page articles on environmental responsibility? Unfortunately the people that are the problem just don't care. There are many reasons for not caring, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter; apathy, for any reason, is almost impossible to reason with. I really wish it wasn't the case, but I think the best we can hope for is a good percentage of the population that does care, and is willing to clean up after those that don't. Luckily I find that trash is almost always limited to the areas within a couple miles of a parking lot. Turns out people that are too lazy to pack out their trash are also too lazy to walk a couple miles.

One thing I've often wondered about; what are our thoughts on trash cans? If I'm out for a week and come across a trash can in an isolated stretch of woods (let's say it's at a shelter for instance) I usually won't drop my trash, because I don't consider that 'packing it out.' As much as I'd love to be rid of it I just can't help but think that someone is gonna have to come behind me and empty that can... But maybe they're coming on a schedule anyway? I know this isn't a big deal, but I'm just curious how others think about that situation.

ATMountainTime
12-04-2012, 11:51
For starters the Forest Service is very low on funds, and thier ability to have employee's be out on the trail, or at trail heads getting trash or trash cans. At the end of the day it is everyones responsibility to Tread Lightly, and pack your garbage out. The trail clubs at least in the south, dont have near the volunteers it takes even for a weekly trash pickup.

I was up at Neels Gap not long ago, and filled an empty garbage bag almost full from just stuff left intentionally (IE on the sign itself).

Id encourage most of the WB community to engage in and help volunteer with trail clubs. I think it's a small price to pay for something we hold near and dear to our hearts.

Rasty
12-04-2012, 14:33
I get so sick of reading stuff like this frankly. Do you really think the people littering our trails are reading full page articles on environmental responsibility? Unfortunately the people that are the problem just don't care. There are many reasons for not caring, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter; apathy, for any reason, is almost impossible to reason with. I really wish it wasn't the case, but I think the best we can hope for is a good percentage of the population that does care, and is willing to clean up after those that don't. Luckily I find that trash is almost always limited to the areas within a couple miles of a parking lot. Turns out people that are too lazy to pack out their trash are also too lazy to walk a couple miles.

One thing I've often wondered about; what are our thoughts on trash cans? If I'm out for a week and come across a trash can in an isolated stretch of woods (let's say it's at a shelter for instance) I usually won't drop my trash, because I don't consider that 'packing it out.' As much as I'd love to be rid of it I just can't help but think that someone is gonna have to come behind me and empty that can... But maybe they're coming on a schedule anyway? I know this isn't a big deal, but I'm just curious how others think about that situation.

I would only use a trash can which has vehicle access. Otherwise it's easy to carry to 2 ounces of trash until I get somewhere.

cliffordbarnabus
12-04-2012, 15:40
there will never not be trash whether it's the people that deliberately chunk it or the inadvertent corner from a granola bar wrapper that you unknowingly drop. I try to pick up a piece a day. once an "empty" cliff bar wrapper was actually the real deal and was mint choc chip. money!

Pedaling Fool
12-04-2012, 16:22
The FS used to put out those big brown trash cans in GA at several locations on fs42. They don't do it anymore and thats fine with me. Not necessary.

One thing I've often wondered about; what are our thoughts on trash cans? If I'm out for a week and come across a trash can in an isolated stretch of woods (let's say it's at a shelter for instance) I usually won't drop my trash, because I don't consider that 'packing it out.' As much as I'd love to be rid of it I just can't help but think that someone is gonna have to come behind me and empty that can... But maybe they're coming on a schedule anyway? I know this isn't a big deal, but I'm just curious how others think about that situation. I agree. Putting a trash can on the trail or even at road crossing requires too much maintenance from trail crews/county sanitation companies. It won't stop the people from dumping their crap at the very instant they want to, they just don't care. And some will probably throw food-contaminated trash in their which would attract animals and spread it all over the place -- you know someone will leave the lid off.

peakbagger
12-04-2012, 16:55
Unfortunately unattended trash cans intended for hikers sometimes get adopted by locals. Years ago I was surveying near a roadside picnic area, I was quite surprised to the see the number of locals that would stop by and deposit their household trash. One time we were eating lunch at one of the picnic tables and we saw the same car come by that was there the week before. The trash can was signed that it was not for household trash and for use by picnickers only, we commented to the person (with out of state plates) that he shouldnt be using it to get rid of his obviously household trash. He just glared at us while his car load of kids watched. He finally said that dropping it off there was better than throwing it on the side of the road. Depressingly I expect that where his next weeks trash would go.

There are plenty of ways of minimizing trash so it doesnt take a lot of room or smell.

I am not sure that things have changed in Tennesee but I was amazed when driving back roads near the AT that anywhere there was a turnoff with a bit of hill, there would be piles of trash thrown over the edge.

4Bears
12-04-2012, 16:57
Personally I never thought packing out my trash, all 3-4 oz worth max, was ever a real problem. After the food has been eaten there really isn't much weight, if I camp where there is a fire ring I will burn the paper wrappers (yes this action will now raise some issues for others), the rest is carried out. When I know I am going to be able to get rid of my trash in a day or so I pick up some of the trash along the trail I am hiking, seems most of it is near the trail heads or day hike distances. If everyone would pick up a piece or two there wouldn't be a problem. IMHO

MDSection12
12-04-2012, 17:26
I am not sure that things have changed in Tennesee but I was amazed when driving back roads near the AT that anywhere there was a turnoff with a bit of hill, there would be piles of trash thrown over the edge.

If you ask an old-timer in my area what my favorite little area (Frederick Watershed) is known for they'd probably say either dumping trash on the side of the road or target shooting pistols. Both illegal of course. I try not to let it bother me, because it's only by the roads... But it's heart breaking to see literally 15 trash bags at every little pull off up there. :mad: