PDA

View Full Version : Layers

bishopj
12-04-2012, 14:28
Do you guy think a base layer with a marmot hyper jacket with a 200 weight fleece jacket with a llbean
rain jacket on top would be warm enough for a Feb Start.

MuddyWaters
12-04-2012, 15:49
Depends on the sleeping bag.

Snowleopard
12-04-2012, 16:15
The marmot hyper jacket looks like a rain/wind jacket; marmot's membrain waterproof breathable fabric gets decent ratings. The LL Bean rain jacket won't add anything to it. A base layer plus 200 weight fleece might be marginal while hiking in the coldest weather you might get. It would be very cold in camp if you hit cold weather. Add a puffy jacket, down or synthetic. Also, a warm hat and couple pairs of wool or fleece mittens or gloves.

CarlZ993
12-04-2012, 17:47
If I was a guessing man, I'd say that the weather pattern in Franklin, NC is a little warmer than in the mountains.
http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_Franklin3W_Franklin_NC_February.ht ml

It could be pretty cold. I may add an additional layer for my March 21st start.

bigcranky
12-04-2012, 19:40
I'd want my down jacket for camp and breaks through March or early April. A fleece just isn't enough for me.

Blissful
12-04-2012, 20:15
Down jacket. Mid weight base layer.

Drybones
12-04-2012, 20:55
Down jacket. Mid weight base layer.

+1........

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2012, 21:00
down Jacket midweight base layer and fleese finger mittens and thinking down booties..... for my claws.

Del Q
12-04-2012, 22:12
I LOVE Icebreaker merino wool tee shirts!

No stink
Light
Warm
Great in all temperatures
Super base-base layer if there is such a thing

Build from there..............would suggest a lightweight wind shirt as well, I have a Go Lite, really light, very functional.

For the most part, the COLD is really from 4am - 9am or so, when you get up to go to the bathroom (do you plan on carrying a pee bottle so you do not have to move very far for the 1st bathroom call?)...once you get moving the layers go away.

The lesson I learned the hard way, it is easier to stay warm than get warm.............., when I tent I get into my sleeping bag ASAP when it is really cold.