PDA

View Full Version : How much cash do you have?

Easyhiker
12-28-2002, 20:00
First let me say the trail can be hiked for 50 cents or less a mile and has been, actually I have meet a few with no cash. But a budget for each mile is good to have and stick to.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2002, 21:15
In 2000 I spent $15,000. I took 9 months to hike 1500 miles. I took 120 "0" days

SGT Rock
12-28-2002, 21:21
On a section hike it can get pretty rediculous. I figure I spent about $400 on my last one including gas for a walk of about 150 miles. I'm budgeting about $600 for my next one, and it is only 180 miles or so walking.

Bandana Man
12-28-2002, 22:34
For my first section hike in 2001:
Gas for truck round trip ~ $80
Hotel and dinner in Alpharetta GA ~ $120
Lodging at Goose Creek Cabins and Mulls Motel (1 night each) ~ $80
Meals in Blairsville and Hiawasse ~ $20
Laundry at Walasi-Yi and Hiawassse ~ $10
Mail drops at Walasi-Yi and Hiawasse ~ $30
Trail food and fuel for 15 days ~ $250
Shuttle from Rock Gap to Amicalola ~ $50
TOTAL ~ $640 and that does NOT include all the souvenires I bought at Amicalola and Walasi-Yi (bumper stickers, t-shirts, AT map)

Next trip will be MUCH less because I'm planning only one hotel stay and town meal (Gatlinburg), no mail drops (possible exception of Fontana Dam), and NO OVER-PRICED FREEZE-DRIED FOOD! I still need to figure out where to park my truck for 2 weeks (possibly Rainbow Springs campground?) and who to get for a shuttle back to my truck.

I spent way too much the first time and didn't watch expenses at all. I have got to do better next time!

Peaks
12-29-2002, 10:37
I tried to keep track of my costs while on the trail.

Groceries: $440
Meals: $440
Lodging: $300
Boots & Equipment: $350
Other: $270

Other includes laundry, showers, postage, ice cream,

Does not include bus and train transportation.

Now, hiking the AT itself is basically free. It's in town where you spend the money. Had I taken more days off, I would have spent much more than what I actually did. ( I only took 2 days off. The typical thru-hikers takes about 24 days off, or about 1 day per week)

hikerat2002
01-05-2003, 16:48
I spent alot of money in '87 for gear and food. Now, you can get good used gear or homemade gear and food is easy to get cheap on the trail. I wish this global warming would make for milder weather though. The cold March approach trail hike still shakes me down.

Jumpstart
01-14-2003, 17:57
Didn't keep precise track, but we went the luxurious route, and for two (me and husband) spent just about $15,000. But we also got to stay in some of the best B&B's, took side trips to new York City and Hershey Park, zero days whenever we wanted or needed them, rental cars to visit other places, cash for new gear along the way, and cash to loan desperate friends who wouldn't have finished otherwise. Worth every single cent.

Kozmic Zian
02-18-2004, 10:44
First let me say the trail can be hiked for 50 cents or less a mile and has been, actually I have meet a few with no cash. But a budget for each mile is good to have and stick to.
Yea......Cheap? I like to hike like I spend, with conserving in mind. I conserve The Trail, when I'm out there in all ways. To me, The Trail is a lesson in how to conserve, I mean Toilet Paper, Food, Clothing, Shelter.....and moneys. I try not to 'blow out' in Town too much, not to spend too much on gear, too much in any fashion. I mean, to do so, is rather contradictory, isn't it? Well, it's all about....'Hike Your Own Hike'.KZ@

gravityman
02-18-2004, 11:27
Depends if you include the mortgage payment while hike. That's expensive!

freewheelinmilo
02-18-2004, 13:15
100 bucks a week is pretty cush, and only equates to 2400 bucks, like buck a mile. i took a wierd road to this number, blowing pretty close to 1500 bucks by the time i left damascus, and then pinching a grand the 1600 miles to maine. tom waits sang a song, "temptation." thats what its about. well unless you are rich, then who gives a hoot!

Chef2000
02-18-2004, 13:42
In 2000 I spent closed to $8,000 and had 60 plus zero days.

Doctari
02-18-2004, 13:56
I'm averaging about $2.50 a mile doing section hiking, most of that cost has been getting from Cinti to whatever trail head, shuttle back to truck at end of hike & home again. My actual hiking expences are down to about $0.75 a mile but when I first started sectioning it was higher, altho it was only about $1.00 a mile, in 1997 dollars.

I am learning more each time I section hike, so if my plans go as I hope, My thru hike should cost about $0.50 to $0.75 a mile plus cost to & from Springer/Kathadin which I figure is about $200.00 and $450.00 respectivly. Of course this fails to allow for inflation, and soonest I can thru isn't for another 12 years, but If I could leave this year, that is what it should cost me.

Doctari
GA/ME 2016?

hungryhowie
02-18-2004, 14:31
In 2000, I spent about $1700 between Springer and Katahdin (obviously, this does NOT include my travel to and from the termini, which were provided by my family).

In addition, before the trail I probably spent about $1250 on gear and perhaps another $400 on freeze dried food.

-Howie

Thumper 2006
06-16-2005, 23:57
Well the ankle has healed up pretty good and getting ready to leave for the second time. Guys and Girls I have a pretty limited budget what is the least I could spend. I know taking no days in town helps, but those days are good to rest and gather yourself. Is there a more economic route?

Sly
06-17-2005, 03:03
Guys and Girls I have a pretty limited budget what is the least I could spend. I know taking no days in town helps, but those days are good to rest and gather yourself. Is there a more economic route?

Spent your rest days on trail.

justusryans
06-17-2005, 08:04
we are budgeting about $2.50 for our thruhike next year. of course that doesn't include gear! that is for 2 people. not interested in partying or tons of 0 days. maybe 1 in 7. then again we might live to regret that!:eek:

Moxie00
01-24-2006, 13:59
:confused: I spent a little over a buck a mile......but..... airline to Georgia, didn't count equipment because I backpack anyway, ....but....some was purchased just for the AT.....but I have since used it elsewhere----soo, do I figure that cost in? Do I count things I would have to pay for anyway?....like food, I have to eat every day even when I am not hiking. It is a hard question to honestly answer, If you figure in all equipment costs you get one figure. If you figure just what you spent between Georgia and Maine another. Tough question,, I can't give you an honest answer.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2006, 14:13
Not counting your gear (some folks spend nothing, some spend a few hundred bucks, some spend thousands), and not counting travel expenses to and from the Trail termini, in my experience, most folks spend between two and five thosand dollars on a thru-hike for en route expenses; three to four grand seems about right for most folks, tho it can certainly be done on less.

Note: If you smoke cigarettes or other things, drink adult beverages, or spend a greater percentage of your trip in towns, you'll be spending more.

Whatever your budget, I suggest you add a contingency fund of 15 to 20% for emergencies, medical problems, unplanned side trips or trips home, an unexpected gear crisis, etc.

For those hiking on a budget, there is an excellent piece by Weathercarrot in the "Articles" section that provides a wealth of info on how to cut corners and save money.