PDA

View Full Version : Spring College Tour - get out and walk!

fcoulter
12-05-2012, 12:29
My daughter and I are making that rite of passage, the college trip, next spring. It looks like my route will cross the AT at two points. I would like to get out of the car and hike a little (a mile?) of the trail at each of the two crossings. Is it feasible? Any tips about these two crossings? Parking?

1) Heading north on I-77. In Virginia, the AT goes on SR 612 under (or over, it really doesn't matter) I-77, and splits off the road on the right (sourthern) side about a quarter mile to the east.

2) Heading east on I-80. On the New Jersey / Pennsylvania border. The AT is on the I-80 bridge. According to Google Maps, it looks like I should take the first exit in New Jersey, go under (or over, again it really doesn't matter) I-80, and park in the second parking lot. The trail leaves from that parking lot.

ratfaceraines
12-05-2012, 12:49
the I-77/52/612---parking would be based upon whether you're heading north or south(on 52 or off 612--each is relatively safe). i operate a shuttle service out of pearisburg(north of 77/52/612)....feel free to call anytime,help or info, 540-921-7433(RIDE)----don