PDA

View Full Version : Xmas gift ideas???

MrMiner2
12-05-2012, 14:25
What are some gift ideas for an "outdoorsy" person??

atmilkman
12-05-2012, 14:44
What are some gift ideas for an "outdoorsy" person??
Gift certificates to places like Campmor, REI, Campsaver, Backcountry, etc. for the smaller stuff and to places like ULA, Lightheart Gear, JRB, and other Cottage businesses for the big stuff. Unless you know exactly what the person wants trying to figure out what they might like or need is almost always a miss.

fredmugs
12-05-2012, 15:04
Gift certificates to places like Campmor, REI, Campsaver, Backcountry, etc. for the smaller stuff and to places like ULA, Lightheart Gear, JRB, and other Cottage businesses for the big stuff. Unless you know exactly what the person wants trying to figure out what they might like or need is almost always a miss.

Concur. I would add magazine subscriptions to the list.

Velvet Gooch
12-05-2012, 16:02
WASP Injector Knife - gas injection knife - canid exploder

This cutting tool injects a freezing cold ball of compressed gas, approximately the size of a basketball, at 800 psi (nearly instantly).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a93if88-6-w/TW1Itwo410I/AAAAAAAAF4E/-_myOHC5Vro/s1600/wasp%2Binjection%2BKnife%2Bblade%2Bsystem%2Bfuture %2Bweapon2.jpg

HikerMom58
12-05-2012, 16:17
^impressive^ I'd ask the "outdoorsy" person for a wish list, complete with item #'s so you can't mess up. :) Outdoorsy peeps can be quite peculiar... I mean- particular. ;)

Nutbrown
12-05-2012, 16:25
I'd go for a gift cert too. But don't limit it to stores, look into some online retailers. They might do gift cards also.

ATMountainTime
12-05-2012, 16:30
My wife got me custom footbeds for my running shoes and hiking boots...they are GREAT for road running, haven't tested out on hiking just yet.

daddytwosticks
12-05-2012, 16:41
My wife got me one of those long AT maps a few years ago for Christmas. I keep it on the wall in my office at work. It makes me feel good just looking at it on a bad day. :)

yellowsirocco
12-05-2012, 17:45
Mountain House meals and nice socks like Smartwool or Darn Tough are pretty much universal. Maybe if you know their water treatment method then a new batch of Aqua Mira or a new filter cartridge would be nice.

hikerboy57
12-05-2012, 18:29
gift cert the way to go. my mom asked me what i needed. like most of us im pretty particular about what i need, and i really dont need anything, so i told her just get a gift cert for rei or ems.i can at least use it for food, fuel.
or you could go with the generic fleece top, coupla pair of darn tough socks, or a book on regifting.
definitely dont need a coleman propane lantern.

cabbagehead
12-05-2012, 19:03
http://d4fxuz90idxmu.cloudfront.net/images/default/products/large/16672-1.jpg

I just recently bought a Friskies 5.5 oz (the weight of the food, not the can) cat food can. I emptied it. It made a great winter "heat barrier" for an alcohol stove. It's a big upgrade from my heavy steel fish can. You get a lot of different flavors to choose from.

Rocket Jones
12-05-2012, 19:14
Harmony House sampler. Vacuum sealer. Gift cards.

johnnybgood
12-05-2012, 19:31
And you can find it here : www.harmonyhousefoods.com (http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com)

Drybones
12-05-2012, 19:33
My wife got me one of those long AT maps a few years ago for Christmas. I keep it on the wall in my office at work. It makes me feel good just looking at it on a bad day. :)

Would someone let my wife know I want one of these?

Drybones
12-05-2012, 19:37
Probably the most used item the wife has gotten me is a pair of good quality tin snipps, she got them at a yard sell along with a bunch of other tools for a couple of bucks, use it making stoves and cook pots...as well as other stuff.

Rocket Jones
12-05-2012, 20:15
Thanks Johnny. I was being old and forgetful and lazy (choose 2). :)

HikerMom58
12-05-2012, 20:18
Would someone let my wife know I want one of these?

Dang... I would have bought u one of those cool maps for 3 bucks... they were selling them at the fund raiser event a few weeks ago. I heard they sell a nicer 3-D version of that same wall map. :) That would be a great Christmas present!

lukabrazi
12-06-2012, 19:59
One of Qiwiz's titanium trowels.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 21:10
Gift certificate is always a great idea, and if you make a big purchase make sure you include the receipt. But there are so many great odds and ends that would make good presents even if they aren't exactly what the person needs:

Any sort of water purification method that the person doesn't already have. Aqua Mira, Sawyer Squeeze filter + compatible bladder, steripen... All affordable and fun to play around with, and if they use one of those heavy pump filters that are so common maybe you'll change their mind and lighten their pack a bit.

Mini carabiners always come in handy for things.

These are my two favorite pieces of gear, and I don't understand why everyone doesn't use something similar. They probably would if they tried them:
MLD's Event Rain Mitts - http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51
Wide brimmed waterproof rain hat of some kind

Del Q
12-06-2012, 21:16
swiftwick or X socks...........good gear, always used

daddytwosticks
12-07-2012, 08:22
Dang... I would have bought u one of those cool maps for 3 bucks... they were selling them at the fund raiser event a few weeks ago. I heard they sell a nicer 3-D version of that same wall map. :) That would be a great Christmas present! My wife didn't get me the 3-D version because my "office" at work is so small. Have to step outside the office when I sneeze. :)

TheYoungOne
12-07-2012, 12:08
WASP Injector Knife - gas injection knife - canid exploder

This cutting tool injects a freezing cold ball of compressed gas, approximately the size of a basketball, at 800 psi (nearly instantly).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a93if88-6-w/TW1Itwo410I/AAAAAAAAF4E/-_myOHC5Vro/s1600/wasp%2Binjection%2BKnife%2Bblade%2Bsystem%2Bfuture %2Bweapon2.jpg

So I was curious and I had to look at what this thing was. A $500 knife that blows gas into things you stab. I had to laugh on how they market it towards hikers.

http://www.waspknife.com/hiking.php

Hiking

For many years I have spent time in the remote back woods as a rock and ice climber. I have seen bear, bobcats, mountain lions, and many other potentially dangerous animals.
In years past, I have armed myself with a handgun. In todays world though, carrying a firearm into remote areas is not acceptable and in some cases even illegal. I see many people going into the back country who are oblivious to the dangers that they could potentially be facing. These people don't realize that once you enter the wild you become part of the food chain.
Carrying a regular knife is useless against a bear or similar predator, but the WASP with its massive injection of compressed gas is devastating to mammals of any size.
Have you ever seen a doctor administer an injection. Before injecting the medicine into the patient, the doctor makes sure to remove all air bubbles. Why? Because a bubble the size of a BB can cause a blockage and kill you.
Now, imagine injecting 40-80 cu. in. of gas in to something. Not only will the presence of gas in the system cause extreme trauma, but the sub-zero temperature of the gas will also freeze any surrounding tissues and be devastating.
So before you go on your next backwoods hike be sure to pick up a WASP Injection Knife!

Bobcats??? Seriously

This is a rich guy's toy and only good for popping watermellons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs