PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Ideas?

Cracky
12-05-2012, 15:57
Hi There,

I am planning to thru-hike northbound, with a tentative start date of 1March. Might anyone have any opinions regarding sleeping bags. Temperature ratings? I'm typically partial to LL Bean, but I've been considering the Ledge Featherlite 0 degree as the price is quite attractive.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Cheers,

Cracky

yellowsirocco
12-05-2012, 16:10
That Ledge thing is sure to be garbage. It is 3.8 pounds and 0 is probably no where near its real rating. My WM Megalite is 1.5 pounds and at 30 deg true rating is probably warmer than the Ledge. Whatever money you think you are saving on a cheap bag, you will spend at least twice that in towns just recovering from your bad decision. Go with Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, or pretty much anything using 800 fill down.

Cracky
12-05-2012, 16:14
Interesting, Yellowsirocco. Thanks for the input. What temp rating would you recommend for that time of year on the AT?

Don H
12-05-2012, 16:17
I used a Feathered Friends Swallow 20* down bag, weight 2 pounds. Also recommend Western Mt. and Mont Bell's U.L Super Stretch #1 (now my favorite bag).
Definitely do not skimp on your bag, it is a piece of your survival gear. When you're cold and soaked the only place to get warm to avoid hypothermia is a warm dry sleeping bag. Also suggest a Sea to Summit UL dry bag (or similar) to keep it dry.

Donde
12-05-2012, 16:22
I would suggest a reputable 20F bag for that time of year. WM is awesome but if you are trying to keep costs down see if you can find an outlet REI Sub-Kilo, also look at NF Cat's Meow.

bigcranky
12-05-2012, 16:37
15 or 20-F for a March 1 start. Get a reputable bag. You have to sleep in the thing for six months, might as well enjoy the experience. (And shivering all night in a heavy-but-not-warm bag isn't fun.) The Marmot Helium is often on sale at a good price. Montbell is also excellent. I have two WM bags and love them, but they are not often found on sale.

Drybones
12-05-2012, 19:14
15 or 20-F for a March 1 start. Get a reputable bag. You have to sleep in the thing for six months, might as well enjoy the experience. (And shivering all night in a heavy-but-not-warm bag isn't fun.) The Marmot Helium is often on sale at a good price. Montbell is also excellent. I have two WM bags and love them, but they are not often found on sale.

Don't know if they're still on sale or not but Mountain Gear had the Marmot Helium for $279. Get something that is reliable at 20 degrees. I used an REI 20 degree rated bag this spring but added about 3 oz of down to it to assure I stayed warm. The bag ended up weighing 2lb-3oz, never had it lower than 19 but it was very warm at that temp.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 00:27
I used to work in the camping section at an LL Bean store. I was forever telling people to not buy our stuff, except for the down sleeping bags and down jackets.

Something you need to understand about LL Bean is that due to their awesome and generous return policy, their gear needs to be built to last. This means most of their stuff ends up being WAY too heavy. There is always some compromise between weight and durability. You can have a backpack that weighs 7 pounds and will last for 100 years, or you can have a backpack that weighs 2 pounds but that you need to baby and maybe replace every now and then. It's typically well worth paying the extra money to replace that lightweight gear and save carrying those 5 extra pounds on your back.

It's hard to beat LL Bean for value when it comes to their down stuff, and if you end up not liking it you can always return it. However, their temperature ratings are a bit optimistic and they use lower quality down and heavier shell materials than should be necessary (because the average LL Bean customer isn't going to baby their gear like they should... they'll just return it if they need to). I think the Bean sleeping bags are great as an "intermediate" bag - something better than a bulky flannel rectangular bag, but not quite the quality (or cost) of Western Mountaineering, etc.

If you're planning a thru-hike, I think you'll be better served looking elsewhere. Keep in mind that whatever bag you choose, you are going to be carrying it on your back for 6 months and sleeping in it every night. Every ounce makes a big difference over the course of a 2000 mile hike.

Do lots of research on here and BPL. Buy something that is highly regarded (like the REI sub kilo, marmot helium, etc). Don't cheap out on your gear because if you do, you'll just end up replacing it with what you should have bought in the first place and be out even MORE money.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 00:37
Don't cheap out on your gear because if you do, you'll just end up replacing it with what you should have bought in the first place and be out even MORE money.

That said, it also sucks to do lots of research and buy something expensive only to find out that even though it might work for everyone else, it doesn't suit YOUR particular needs. The best way to learn what suits you is to get out there and do shakedown hikes.

I suppose you can also just make purchases along the way as you gain more experience. There is the famous Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap which you come to something like 30 miles after Springer, so if something isn't working or you forgot something you can replace it there. $$$$$$$ though, I'm sure.

Firefighter503
12-06-2012, 01:20
There is a thread floating around here about what everyone's favorite piece of gear is. Often, you will find that people's favorite piece of gear is their sleeping bag. You will see names like Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Feathered Friends, Marmot, etc. because these are high quality bags, that you will spend 1/3 of your time on the trail in it. If there is one place you shouldn't skimp on gear, make it your sleeping bag.

As for me, I use a Montbell U.L. Super Spiral #1 (15*) for shoulder season/winter, and a #3 (40*) for summer. I started with the #1 on a section hike from Springer to VA, and saw temperatures in the teens while in the Smokies (late March) and was comfortable. I'd bring at least a 20* to start on March 1.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 02:05
...you will spend 1/3 of your time on the trail in it. If there is one place you shouldn't skimp on gear, make it your sleeping bag.

I justified buying a Western Mountaineering to myself by figuring that a good down sleeping bag, well cared for, will last longer than any other piece of gear. Like 10 or 20 years, depending on how much you use it and how you take care of it.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 12:46
Go here and buy this guy's Sub Kilo for $70, quick before somebody else does: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90224-REI-Sub-Kilo-Sleeping-Bag-Bear-Vault-500-and-a-OES-custom-made-10x10-Tarp-for-sale

Grady Wilson
12-06-2012, 14:54
Walmart has a sweet Ozark Trail for only $15.97! The weight is only 4 lbs and is good for 40-60 degrees. Be sure and check out their fancy air mattresses and Coleman domes while you're over there! Git r done!

q-tip
12-07-2012, 12:29
WM Alpinlite-Overfill--gets to 15 d for real--pretty expensive $475--but worth all the bucks--lasts a lifetime.....