PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie planning 100-mile hike.

Over40Pirate
12-06-2012, 00:27
Hi All,

I'll try to keep this relatively short: I want to do a 100-mile hike somewhere on the southern part of the AT in May. I have never been on an overnight hike, or carried a pack of any real substance for more than a short distance, so this is a new challenge for me. In doing a little research, I'm leaning toward the section of trail between Damascus, VA and Iron Mountain Gap, NC, for a number of reasons. Does anyone have an opinion on the relative difficulty of this stretch, or a suggestion for another hike of around the same distance between VA and GA that might be more suitable?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

R Jay
12-06-2012, 01:00
I'm not sure what your physical condition is, or what kind of knowledge you have about backpacking, but what you are proposing to do sounds a little crazy. I recommend getting all of your gear together and doing an overnighter, before you take on a 100-mile hike. Learn to walk, before you run.

fredmugs
12-06-2012, 07:36
I'm not sure what your physical condition is, or what kind of knowledge you have about backpacking, but what you are proposing to do sounds a little crazy. I recommend getting all of your gear together and doing an overnighter, before you take on a 100-mile hike. Learn to walk, before you run.

Agree that you should at least take a full pack and do an overnighter first. Everyone learns lots of lessons early on and you don't want to learn a painful one and then have to re-live it for the rest of the trip.

Newbie + 100 miles = Shenandoah National Park. Sure it will take you longer to get there but the trail is easy, there are several places to get food right on the trail (less to pack) and there's a couple of lodges if you want to bail out.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2012, 07:50
Hi All,

I'll try to keep this relatively short: I want to do a 100-mile hike somewhere on the southern part of the AT in May. I have never been on an overnight hike, or carried a pack of any real substance for more than a short distance, so this is a new challenge for me. In doing a little research, I'm leaning toward the section of trail between Damascus, VA and Iron Mountain Gap, NC, for a number of reasons. Does anyone have an opinion on the relative difficulty of this stretch, or a suggestion for another hike of around the same distance between VA and GA that might be more suitable?

Thanks in advance,

Paulnice section. not that difficult. make sure you have damn good footwear, your pack fits right and keep the weight down. i was a total newbie on my first 100 miler. i did fine. i had no internet, videos or books to go to beforehand. you'll do fine. be warned, you're gonna get all kinds of "expert" advice :cool:

Sugarfoot
12-06-2012, 08:02
I was about your age when I decided to hike the Trail. I ran everyday and thought the physical side of hiking wouldn't be any problem. As you know, Florida is flat. And running isn't hiking. I did a few day hikes and a couple of overnights in a local state park. I had done some backpacking 20 years previously, but that counted not at all. I started in Georgia with a pack weight of 58 pounds at a time when I weighed under 155. But I learned, quickly. With what you are reading on Whiteblaze and your other research, you won't make the same mistakes I made. You will find your own mistakes and, I hope, survive them and laugh at them. The Appalachian Trail isn't wilderness and you are never all that far from help, especially if you commit to staying on the Trail and not taking detours.

Shenandoah National Park would be easier; it's always my first suggestion. The section you have proposed is beautiful, especially in May. Your section includes the Southern Highlands and Roan Mountain. The azaleas and rhododendrons are spectacular that time of year. There are some stiff climbs; the Pond Mountain Wilderness that you will hit in your first week comes to mind.

If you pack reasonably (it can be quite cold in May on the balds), don't set unreasonable daily mileage expectations, and listen to your body, you will be fine. Just follow the Yellow Brick Road .. Have a wonderful time and I might just meet you. I'll be doing that section northbound as part of my thru-hike, probably the last part of May.

joshuasdad
12-06-2012, 08:15
Doing this section over Xmas, may be able to give more insight later. Welcome to WhiteBlaze, and I hope you have a great hike.

Drybones
12-06-2012, 08:30
Get your gear and do an overnighter first, might save you some pain and agony later on. I was in good physical condition when I took my first hike, I spend 2+ hours in the gym 6 days a week when not in the wood, I hiked 6 miles, sat down and thought I could walk when I stood up. Fortunately the stiffness in the hips went away quickly. Point is, you may use muscles hiking you normally dont use. You need to make certain your shoes and pack are comfortable or you'll be an unhappy hiker. Best wishes on your hike.

Pedaling Fool
12-06-2012, 08:50
Go to the Homepage http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php and there's a box on the left side labeled "Menu", it has some great articles in it for getting started in backpacking, including resupply points and recommended gear....

Cookerhiker
12-06-2012, 10:13
Although you're inexperienced, I can see that you've put some thought into your endeavor because you've picked a section that starts out fairly easy if you hike it southbound i.e. starting at Damascus. Now "easy" doesn't translate into "flat," especially when comparing to Florida! But the 40 miles of AT south from Damascus isn't as taxing as for example, hiking the Smokies or the Nantahalas. Even the Pond Mountain ascent is easier from the north than the south.

As long as you're prepared both physically and mentally (as well as gearwise), I think you'll do fine. I agree with the above recommendations of taking a few overnight practice hikes on the FT to at least feel what it's like to carry a full backpack. And aerobic exercise will benefit you as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

MuddyWaters
12-06-2012, 15:08
I hate to sound like someone else around here, but it really is "just walking".

But, you should know a few things about yourself before you go for a hundred mile walk.

Things like, how far you can walk per day, How much water you need/mile in various conditions, etc., what is your speed on flat ground, what is your speed on long uphills?

There is some basic logistics and planning involved, and it necessitates knowing those things.

Like, how much food do you need to carry? If you do only 5 miles per day, its a lot. If you do 15 miles per day, not nearly as much.

These are things that a few shorter hikes will help you to zone in on. Personally, Id say to do at least a 3 day/2 night hike to get to know yourself before you try what could be up to a 10+ day hike for you.

Also, like others say, Shenandoah has easy places to bail, waysides to get hamburgers and shakes. You dont have to suffer, or even carry that much food if you dont want.

prain4u
12-06-2012, 18:39
Try to get in some practice with your gear beforehand--preferably on some overnight hikes. If that is not possible, then at least set up your gear in your yard or in a park. It is not fun when you are already out on the trail and you unfold a brand new tent for the very first time--only to discover that a pole is missing or an important seam isn't sewed. (If it has not already been done, you might want to "seam, seal" your tent before your trip--so the seams don't leak in the rain)

At least set up your tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag prior to your trip. Climb into them and see how they feel. (I have even done this in my living room). You don't want to learn that you actually need a bigger sleeping bag on the first night of your big hike. It is also a pain in the butt to be trying to figure out (for the very first time) how to set up your tent--when it is dark or raining (or both)

Practice cooking some real trail meals with your camp stove at home. Make sure that the stove works and you know how to use it. Eat trail food for a few days (to see what food you like and don't like--and to see if anything "disagrees" with your digestive system). There is some trail food that I THOUGHT I would absolutely love--only to learn that it tasted like crap. (It makes for a long week of hiking if you discover--out on the trail--that you really dislike the majority of the food that you have packed).

Walk around in your hiking footwear, a lot---at home, at work, the mall etc. Make sure that it feels comfortable and isn't rubbing and causing pain or blisters. Again, it really stinks to learn this type of information once you are out on the trail.

Walk around with your full pack--to make sure that it fits and that you have it adjusted properly.

You CAN successfully do a long hiking trip without doing any of these things prior to your trip. (Ultimately, "It is just walking"). However, it is a miserable time if (on the first night of your big hike) you limp into camp (during a rainstorm) with blisters on your feet--only to learn that a tent pole is missing from your brand new tent, your stove won't light, your food tastes awful--and you are too big for your sleeping bag.

(How do I know these things? Because I made all of these mistakes myself--or they have happened to someone that I was hiking with). :)

Rasty
12-06-2012, 19:02
It's not rocket science. If your pack is reasonable, you have shoes, some rain gear, etc. you can survive a week or so in the woods. It's so basic even I can understand it. Wake up, eat, walk, eat, walk, set up a tent, put stuff inside tent, eat, clean up, do something with your food (Keep it or hang it), go to sleep. The next day repeat until you get to a trash can, then throw out trash and repeat earlier steps until you need more food. The only thing that will screw it up would be going to fast to early. Or maybe getting eaten by a squirrel.

Over40Pirate
12-06-2012, 19:32
Thanks to everyone who replied!

R Jay - yes,it's probably more than a little crazy. Which in a weird way is the point, to some extent.
I'm not in good enough shape to tackle this kind of challenge today, so I have started working on that. I'm walking and/or jogging a minimum of 2-3 miles per day, usually 5+ on the weekends. As some have mentioned, there are zero hills in south Florida, but I've taken to parking on the top level of parking garages and taking the stairs. I don't have a pack yet, but I *do* have a backpack/beach chair which I've taken to loading up with beach gear (towel, swimsuit, sunscreen, book, etc.) and carrying the 1.75 miles or so to the beach and back...across a pretty steep bridge.

Kidding aside, as you can tell, I'm starting to plan well in advance. I considered Shenandoah, but decided against it for two main reasons:
1. Part of my plan is to include a pre-hike, top-down drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Asheville to Damascus looks like a pretty good bet.
2. More importantly, I'm really not looking to make this trip "too easy". I'm not exactly up for the Hundred-Mile Wilderness, but I want to challenge myself. A measure of suffering is anticipated, and too many easy places to bail just might be too tempting.

I'd like to do an overnight hike beforehand and am going to look for a likely section of the Florida Trail.

Sugarfoot - I just might meet you up there. I'm planning for the end of May to include my birthday and the "free" day off on Memorial Day. My goal is to do the hike in 8 days (5/18-5/25) but I'm giving myself 10 days.

Thanks again. I'm sure this forum will be a great resource as I'm shopping for gear, planning for meals, etc...and hopefully, after my trip, I'll have some useful thoughts to share with the next person sitting where I am now!

fcoulter
12-07-2012, 14:33
I'd like to do an overnight hike beforehand and am going to look for a likely section of the Florida Trail.

Go to myfloridahikes.com and ask for a few recommendations for hilly trail sections. The web mistress, Sandra Friend, is working on a new guide to the FT.