PDA

View Full Version : What gear wears out?

hurricane!
12-06-2012, 08:45
I'm a pretty experienced hiker. But can anyone who knows for sure let me know exactly what I should plan on wearing out on a thru hike and needing to be replaced along the way (other than shoes)?

d.o.c
12-06-2012, 08:47
the playlist on your mp3 player :)

garlic08
12-06-2012, 09:46
Mechanical water filters, if you use one, usually do not last. If you use trekking poles, you may need new tips or a new lower pole section. Socks will probably wear out. Hydration system components, if you use them, may need to be replaced or seriously disinfected.

Other things may get lost, like tent stakes, a watch, a pocket knife, a pack buckle, so it's good to have a ready source for replacement.

If you use a gas stove, parts may wear out with heavy use. Inflatable sleeping pads may leak.

You can usually buy everything you need at stores along the trail, or have a supplier ship to general delivery.

d.o.c
12-06-2012, 10:51
i did break a trekking pole i had for years had to replace it in kent conn.

Nooga
12-06-2012, 10:57
Socks (5 - 6 pairs)
wool tee shirt
shoes (3 pairs)
hiking pole; tips, lower section. Really had a lot of issues with the twist to tighten Leki poles which also served as my tent poles.

fiddlehead
12-06-2012, 11:23
socks, shoes, batteries, aspirin
That's all I normally have to replace on a thru.
sometimes it's a good idea to refill my chorlox every year as i hear it has a shelf life.
never get sick though. (except hangovers)

If you're doing a lot of snow travel (western trails) my frogg toggs pants will wear the butt out from sliding down mountains.

Lyle
12-06-2012, 11:33
Socks
Shoes
Rain Gear (depending what you use)
Plastic liner bags
Platypus Water Bottles

Those are the things that wear out with normal use. Other than that, it will depend on how you treat your gear, and any particular unfortunate incidents.

Cookerhiker
12-06-2012, 12:25
Mechanical water filters, if you use one, usually do not last.....

Especially steripens? Per other WB threads, hikers have had mixed experiences with them. Mine works thus far but I don't trust it for long (>1 week) hikes.

SassyWindsor
12-06-2012, 14:24
Zippers, buttons coming off, lighters, lights, maybe straps or belts.

BrianLe
12-06-2012, 14:33
In addition to things mentioned above, for some reason it's always the butt of pants that start to develop holes (and it's not like I spend all that much time sitting). Depending on the trail, barbed wire fence can tear up, in particular, pants and pack.

Depending on the type of pack it's possible to wear out a U.L. pack.

Shoes, of course, and yes socks.

Little else in general; issues happen that can often be repaired. A needle and dental floss is the primary bit of repair kit that you need. Duct tape works for some things but is overrated in terms of being any sort of universal solution.

Cookerhiker
12-06-2012, 15:01
In addition to things mentioned above, for some reason it's always the butt of pants that start to develop holes (and it's not like I spend all that much time sitting). Depending on the trail, barbed wire fence can tear up, in particular, pants and pack....

Good point. The more your butt comes into contact with rocks i.e. sitting, the faster the pants deteriorate on the bottom. The smallest amount of shifting or sliding causes rips & tears. And then there's those rocky areas particularly in New England where you have to slide or "walk" on your butt, particularly when wet and the inclination is too steep to walk safely.

I had a new pair of NorthFace shorts that became ripped within a year.

Don H
12-06-2012, 17:57
I used the same pair of NF Paramount Convertible pants the whole way without a problem until coming off Katahdin in the rain. I ripped the back pockets off butt sliding down the rocks.

I saw several packs that failed but my Granite Gear lasted the whole way.
Went through 5 pairs of trail runners and had to replace my poles in Harpers Ferry since one was broke and the other had a worn out tip.
Had to buy a new pair of shorts because I lost so much weight I couldn't keep on the ones I brought.
Replaced 2 pr. of Smartwool socks, the tops stretched out on them.
Had to have my Steripen replaced in Hanover but later found out an easy fix for the problem. Open it up and let the electronics dry out.

Not too bad all things considered.

1azarus
12-06-2012, 18:12
I used the same pair of NF Paramount Convertible pants the whole way without a problem until coming off Katahdin in the rain. I ripped the back pockets off butt sliding down the rocks.

I saw several packs that failed but my Granite Gear lasted the whole way.
Went through 5 pairs of trail runners and had to replace my poles in Harpers Ferry since one was broke and the other had a worn out tip.
Had to buy a new pair of shorts because I lost so much weight I couldn't keep on the ones I brought.
Replaced 2 pr. of Smartwool socks, the tops stretched out on them.
Had to have my Steripen replaced in Hanover but later found out an easy fix for the problem. Open it up and let the electronics dry out.

Not too bad all things considered.

I know that particular rock, i think. i wore through the bottom side pocket on my pack butt sliding there. wish i'd thought to take the pack off...

Old Boots
12-06-2012, 18:22
I wore out my terramar silk long underwear, socks liner bag, batteries

jimmyjam
12-06-2012, 18:49
First gear! Sorry I just couldn't help myself. HaHa.

lukabrazi
12-06-2012, 19:53
Especially steripens? Per other WB threads, hikers have had mixed experiences with them. Mine works thus far but I don't trust it for long (>1 week) hikes.

I replaced a Steri Pen classic after a failure and then returned my Steri Pen Opti after getting the red blinking battery light on a set of brand new name brand batteries on my third day out.

RED-DOG
12-07-2012, 11:32
The Waist belt on your pack as you loose weight it will get to big, or just simply wear out but either way it will need to be replaced, and your sleeping pad. Pants-shorts, Rain Jacket,and you might have to replace your Stove i never had to but i have hiked with people that has, Camera,Video-Camera,Cell Phone, T-Shirts. RED-DOG

Don H
12-07-2012, 11:57
I replaced a Steri Pen classic after a failure and then returned my Steri Pen Opti after getting the red blinking battery light on a set of brand new name brand batteries on my third day out.

That's the same problem I had.
Factory recommendation: Open it up and take out the batteries, remove the bulb cover and let it dry in the sun to remove moisture in the sensors.

turtle fast
12-07-2012, 12:00
Yep, had to replace hip belt for my ULA in Damascus to a smaller size. Ive seen Frogg Toggs rain gear need replacement where the pants from rubbing wear a hole, sometimes packs no matter the brand fail either from accidents (I saw a pack with holes from sparking embers and being too close to a fire) or general failure. Ive had pack covers shred, underwear waist bands fail, shorts start on fire (while I was wearing them!). Almost anything can fail....or you find out something you have really does not work out for you.

Velvet Gooch
12-07-2012, 12:42
On a geologic time scale, only the carbide tips of your trekking poles will remain

scree
12-07-2012, 15:30
I wear out all belts and straps very quickly.

Blissful
12-07-2012, 15:40
For many it can be your sleeping pad, esp if you use an inflatable model.