PDA

View Full Version : Another Insulation Jacket Question

SCGamecock
12-06-2012, 09:59
Do you prefer a hood or a jacket without a hood? (Mid March / NOBO from Springer)

bannerstone
12-06-2012, 12:00
I prefer no hood on my puffy jacket. I like having a few options for head warmth; (thermal headband, beanie, balaclava or a facemask). I tend to want a hood for windy conditions so a shell with a hood works for that with or without my other headwear.

Often I'll wear a headband or hat when I'm not even wearing a jacket like when I'm hiking and I hardly every wear my puffy jacket when I'm hiking.

Now, here is the exception. In winter conditions I carry a zip off hood from an old down parka that I wear to sleep in since I hammock and use a quilt, if it's really cold I'll add the facemask or balaclava.

David

Smooth & Wasabi
12-06-2012, 23:07
I like a hood. Lots more warmth for very little weight.

Feral Bill
12-07-2012, 00:47
Unless its way below zero, I prefer a separate warm hat, with a hood on my wind shell.

colorado_rob
12-07-2012, 11:22
I own two otherwise identical Montbell down jackets, one hooded, the other, not. About 3 ounces different in weight. I find myself reaching for the non-hooded one for 3.5 seasons, but carry the hooded one in the deep winter. It's that simple, really for me. The integrated hood really does keep a lot of extra heat in that a non-hooded jacket, even with a good hat, would let escape.

bottom line: For my mid-march 2013 NOBO start, I will be taking the non-hooded version.

Nicknack
12-07-2012, 12:36
Non-hooded. I haven't run into weather where I've wanted a hood and I find it can get annoying when used with a backpack.

konradchen
01-08-2013, 16:23
I use to only bring a long a hooded jacket when the conditions called for. But these days, I'm seeing that it's just more versatile to have a hood on hand, at since they only add 1-2 oz, I really can't complain without coming off as too big a wuss :)